Roast Geelong getting home finals…but only against small drawing teams

Remove this Banner Ad

I like how these threads always seem to bring out a few supporters of big* Melbourne-based teams who for some reason(we know why) are always super passionate about where Geelong play their home games. If I didn't know any better I'd say it's a fear of losing a ridiculous unearned advantage.

*when I say big I mean big in size, not in success, because little Geelong has seen more premiership success this century than all of them.

The best bit is that they can't even bring themselves to agree that playing Geelong and others at the MCG instead away is an advantage. Pies posters are generally quite decent on here but there is this odd blind spot....

No use arguing mate, look at the flairs who are against it.
MCG tenants who benefit from the advantage so they’ll defend it to the hilt.
No other supporter base agrees with them, everyone else KNOWS it’s a bullshit argument and agree Cats should get TRUE Home Finals.

As I said earlier…
The great irony here is we'll just beat Collingwood at the 'G in finals like we always do.

If anything, they should WANT to play at KP. A change of scenery might actually give them a shot.

I gave up on the home finals argument years ago. The AFL is a mickey mouse organisation that wants to pretend they have the same integrity as global sport...but it's not even close.

It is funny looking at people trying to justify it though.

I would happily take half a dozen to nine home games at our own unique stadium at Punt Road that no one else plays or trains at, host the rest of our home games at the MCG and then host finals at the MCG or Punt Road against smaller teams.

Combine that with the reduced travel of being a VIC team, sounds like a pretty sweet gig to me.

Geelong have played finals at the MCG since 1897 without complaint. Finals were always played at the biggest, most neutral venue possible, not at suburban training grounds.

In Victoria, that is the MCG. No AFL trains on the MCG, and it holds 40,000 neutral MCC membere and 20,000 neutral AFL members. To say it is someone's home ground is a furphy. Carlton will set foot on the MCG 8x prior to finals. Geelong will play there 6x. To say there id anything like a comparable advantage in Geelong playing at home on the ground they train on is ridiculous.

I’ve ordered a carton of tissues for you -it’s on the way.

Do you think Geel should make an application to the AFL for COLA payments given this massive disadvantage of travelling 2 hours down the road to play games?

I think it’s only fair 😂

1 hour... maybe 1 hour 15. Not 2 hours. Only 75km

GF = Geelong Fan
ISF = International sports follower who knows little of the AFL.

GF: Going to the MCG to watch my team play
ISF: I thought you said it was your home game
GF: It is, but the AFL make my team play twice a year home at the MCG.
ISF: So all teams have to give up 2 home games for the MCG each season?
GF: No, just my team
ISF: So what about the team you play, have they given up a home game?
GF: Oh no, it's their home ground
ISF: but they wouldn't get an extra home game at your teams expense.
GF: Yes
ISF: Why?
GF: It's to make more money for the AFL, I also think there is a quota of games that came about after the MCG forgo finals. They also got an extension on hosting all Grand Finals in to the foreseeable future.
ISF: Wow! At least now you don't have to play finals there if you finish higher on the ladder.
GF: We still have to play all home finals there, as do all Victorian Clubs.
ISF: Those MCG tenants must think they are the luckiest clubs around.
GF: Most I talk to think my club has an advantage
ISF: * off

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would happily take half a dozen to nine home games at our own unique stadium at Punt Road that no one else plays or trains at, host the rest of our home games at the MCG and then host finals at the MCG or Punt Road against smaller teams.

Combine that with the reduced travel of being a VIC team, sounds like a pretty sweet gig to me.

Well Tigers should go back in time and retain Punt Road Oval as a ground, but the club couldn't afford it.

Geelong have carried significant debt from holding on the stadium, even with the Gov grants.

National competition and Geelong is a stand alone city?

Time for a second team in Geelong and the region. Then we'd really see some competition. Cats could play their "Showdown GF" against the second Geelong team every year and finally get their dream of a Grand final at home.

Geelong have played finals at the MCG since 1897 without complaint. Finals were always played at the biggest, most neutral venue possible, not at suburban training grounds.

In Victoria, that is the MCG. No AFL trains on the MCG, and it holds 40,000 neutral MCC membere and 20,000 neutral AFL members. To say it is someone's home ground is a furphy. Carlton will set foot on the MCG 8x prior to finals. Geelong will play there 6x. To say there id anything like a comparable advantage in Geelong playing at home on the ground they train on is ridiculous.

It’s very difficult to arrange witches hats to match ground dimensions I’ll grant you that. How other teams cope with having to do it before they set foot on their grounds on game day is anyone’s guess

Sure all for it. Will Collingwood finally come and play us at home then?

Pies play anywhere they get sent by the powers that be, same as Geelong and all the other AFL Clubs. You know as well as I do that the AFL "cash cows" us at the G as often as they can and then the plebs claim WE did it! I actually think a few old timers would have loved to just stay at Viccy Park and do as Geelong, Brissy and Sydney does now....guarantee your place in the finals by winning all your home games. Being an MCG tenant means we share the G with 4 other teams and never get to train on it...Now if the Catters were sharing facilities with another team based in Geelong that could compete for players and use the "lifestyle" angle for recruiting as well as compete for supporters and locally based sponsors....now that might just upset the apple cart a bit. You'd have to compete just like the so called "big Melbourne clubs". Somehow I think that might just sour some of the cream that the Catters love bathing in.

Pies play anywhere they get sent by the powers that be, same as Geelong and all the other AFL Clubs. You know as well as I do that the AFL "cash cows" us at the G as often as they can and then the plebs claim WE did it! I actually think a few old timers would have loved to just stay at Viccy Park and do as Geelong, Brissy and Sydney does now....guarantee your place in the finals by winning all your home games. Being an MCG tenant means we share the G with 4 other teams and never get to train on it...Now if the Catters were sharing facilities with another team based in Geelong that could compete for players and use the "lifestyle" angle for recruiting as well as compete for supporters and locally based sponsors....now that might just upset the apple cart a bit. You'd have to compete just like the so called "big Melbourne clubs". Somehow I think that might just sour some of the cream that the Catters love bathing in.

Same same, Pies are so disadvantaged by playing at G. Look over there.

Pies could have kept their stadium they chose not to.

GF = Geelong Fan
ISF = International sports follower who knows little of the AFL.

GF: Going to the MCG to watch my team play
ISF: Ah yeah, the biggest stadium in the state. But is that your home.ground?
GF: not really, but the AFL have consolidated all the games away from suburban stadiums and into the two large, modern grounds. We play 7 games at the MCG this year, and 9 at our old suburban ground, mostly against smaller teams
ISF: So all teams in Victoria get to play big games at the MCG and home games at their actual home base?
GF: No, just my team. The AFL railroaded all the others into Docklands.
ISF: So what about the Victorian teams you play at Kardnia Park - surely they get to host you occasionally?
GF: Oh no, they don't get that. Some of them host us at the MCG even though they mainly play at Docklands.
ISF: But doesn't that mean you get 9 home games, 6 away games, and 8 on a neutral field? That seems a bit lopsided.
GF: Yes
ISF: Why?
GF: We are in a different city or something. I mean, it is less than an hour up the road, so probably comparable with the New York Giants playing at Metlife stadium, or, to be honest, and local teams if they get a bad run up the Monash, but it's like, well... yeah
ISF: Wow! I assume finals are played at neutral grounds too? Your experience at the MCG must be useful for that?
GF: Yep. It's particularly good when we play Victorian teams based at Docklands, or teams from interstate. In fact, our home ground advantage has been a huge help in us remaining good for decades
ISF: You must think you are the luckiest clubs around.
GF: Most Geelong supporters complain about it.
ISF: * off
Fixed it for you

You genuinely think the move away from Victoria Park has put Collingwood at a disadvantage for making finals and having success in finals?

That's certainly an interesting perspective. To every club that isn't an MCG tenant it seems obvious that those tenants have the easiest ride to finals and a flag.

You genuinely think the move away from Victoria Park has put Collingwood at a disadvantage for making finals and having success in finals?

That's certainly an interesting perspective. To every club that isn't an MCG tenant it seems obvious that those tenants have the easiest ride to finals and a flag.

And they’re still going.

It’s the same 3/4 clubs supporter bases and they all have one thing in common cough MCG TENANTS.
They know it, everyone knows it.

The fact the even try to defend their bullshit speaks volumes…weak

And they’re still going.

It’s the same 3/4 clubs supporter bases and they all have one thing in common cough MCG TENANTS.
They know it, everyone knows it.

The fact the even try to defend their bullshit speaks volumes…weak
Melbourne are the only MCG tenant that is the exception to the rule. Even their strong sides haven't played the G that well. They don't have the numbers or intensity in supporter base to make both home and away games at the G tough for opposition.

Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond in their peak years with their supporters in full force - play the G beautifully and full maximise getting to play so many matches there. Especially their "away" finals at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back