Roast Geelong getting home finals…but only against small drawing teams

Remove this Banner Ad

From a purist perspective, Geelong should host home finals at their home ground, in their home city, regardless of the opponent. From that perspective, the Bulldogs should have hosted us at Docklands rather than the MCG in 2015.

However, in the current reality where we maximise attendance (something I can get behind - I don't want fans locked out) we need consistency. You shouldn't get a different ground and stronger advantage against only certain clubs.

With the advent of Thursday night games, I'm not sure if having too many finals in Victoria will ever be a factor again like 2013. The finals time slots can be Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday arvo, Saturday night and Sunday arvo. Would Saturday double-header finals be feasible at the MCG or would the public transport and stadium not be able to handle it? 70,000 people heading in, competing with 70,000 people heading out sounds tricky.

Here you go Cats … 9 x games with huge home ground advantage, 8 x games at neutral MCG and Marvel, 6 x games away.

And here’s your finals with huge home ground advantage just as icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm all for Geelong getting home finals regardless of the opposition, providing they realise that ticket allocation is split 50/50.
Any fan that complains about missing out on tickets despite the team getting a competitive advantage is a moron

I'm all for Geelong getting home finals regardless of the opposition, providing they realise that ticket allocation is split 50/50.
Equal allocation is already in place. From the AFL website - https://www.afl.com.au/finals/tickets/faq

The AFL distributes an equitable number of tickets within each category to members of both competing clubs for each final. All tickets remaining after the Club Member presale will then be made available to the General Public for purchase.

3.2 PLAYING SURFACE(a) The Playing Surface shall be:
(i) oval in shape;
(ii) between 135 metres and 185 metres in length; and
(iii) between 110 metres and 155 metres in width.

(b) A white line shall be marked on the ground to identify the Playing Surface.This white line shall be drawn in the shape of an arc from the behind post(refer Law 3.3 below) at one end of the Playing Surface to the behind postat the other end of the Playing Surface. The white lines which are drawnare called the Boundary Line.

View attachment 1954601

Quite literally is an AFL standard venue.

Minions Mic Drop GIF

An oval that's 135 meters long and 155 meters wide would be very interesting

when Geel get on a plane every second week like all the Interstate teams, then a home final is justified.
Otherwise there is no justification, despite increased stadium capacity.
Nope, don't agree with that. If we are to have a fully National competition then Geelong should [play finals in Geelong even against Collingwood. Personally, i would rather it be played at he MCG, but there is no argument.
Geelong should be playing finals against any team in Geelong if they qualify ahead of that opposing team.

Nope, don't agree with that. If we are to have a fully National competition then Geelong should [play finals in Geelong even against Collingwood. Personally, i would rather it be played at he MCG, but there is no argument.
Geelong should be playing finals against any team in Geelong if they qualify ahead of that opposing team.
Why ? You’re not an interstate team?
You don’t get on a plane every second week or spend nights away from home on most trips.

There is no justification- other than you’re trying to get an unfair advantage.
And a huge LOL re “National Competition”, joke.

MCC should say to Geelong if you don't want to play home finals here then FRO, you don't play here at all accept finals where you are not the home team, and a couple of away games per year like Bulldogs, North, Saints. Aside from that, please never darken our doorstep again.

You don’t get on a plane every second week or spend nights away from home on most trips.

That is amusing coming from a Pies supporter. How many times have we 'hosted' the Pies at the MCG in H&A and finals?

We have to play 14 away games every year which is more than any other side in the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MCC should say to Geelong if you don't want to play home finals here then FRO, you don't play here at all accept finals where you are not the home team, and a couple of away games per year like Bulldogs, North, Saints. Aside from that, please never darken our doorstep again.

That is quite literally what Geelong have asked for you melt lol

Look over there is the standard Pies response to their entrenched advantage. Can barely even get a Pies poster to acknowledge that it is an advantage :rolleyes:
Let me break it down for you.

You have a huge HGA against EVERY team because you are the sole tenant of GMHBA.
This is not the case with Coll who share the MCG with several teams.

Do you get it!!!

You have a huge HGA against EVERY team because you are the sole tenant of GMHBA.

Do you get it!!!

Another Pies supporter who can't bring themselves to acknowledge the advantages they get.

As usual it is look over there as a response. How unsurprising.

Do you get it!!!

Do you get this: when you play at the MCG against a HOST team who is not a tenant of the ground that is not an advantage to the other team. It is an advantage to you.

Do you get this: when you play at the MCG against a HOST team who is not a tenant of the ground that is not an advantage to the other team. It is an advantage to you.
Except we are not the SOLE tenants of the MCG and therefore don’t have the huge HGA over a FULL season that Geel have at GMHBA.

What don’t you get Sport?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back