Roast Geelong getting home finals…but only against small drawing teams

Remove this Banner Ad

While it is good that we have a chance of getting home finals, it is just dumb from a logical perspective.

1 Our stadium is larger than those in other states where they hold games.

2 To have some rubbery rule that depends on the drawing power of the opponent is bullshit*

3 Either we get home finals (which we should) or we don't. Same should go for Dogs, St Kilda and North - Carlton and Essendon should have the option to choose which of their home grounds they host a final at.

*Ironically the two teams most likely to wind up playing in Geelong are the two teams with really good recent records at GMHBA.
Something I have thought in the past

Elimination/Qualifying Finals - Played in your home stadium

Semi Finals - Played in the largest stadium in your city

Preliminary Finals - Played in the largest stadium in your state

So for Adelaide/Port Adelaide/Fremantle/West Coast/Sydney/Brisbane/Collingwood/Hawthorn/Richmond/Melbourne - The status quo is maintained.

Carlton/Essendon - In effect, the status quo is maintained, however, I might add the caveat that if they earn a home final for the Elimination/Qualifying Final, and the other 3 games are hosted by MCG tenants, then this game would move to Marvel Stadium as it's also their home.

North Melbourne/St Kilda/Western Bulldogs would host at Marvel Stadium for elimination/qualifying finals. Then move to the MCG for semi finals onwards.

Geelong would host at GMHBA Stadium for Elimination/Qualifying/Semi Finals, then move to the MCG for the preliminary final.

Gold Coast would host elimination/qualifying/semi finals at Metricon Stadium, then for preliminary final host at the GABBA, HOWEVER - If the crowd is a disaster, or it's vs Brisbane, revert it back to Metricon

Greater Western Sydney would host elimination/qualifying at Giants stadium, then semi/preliminary final at SCG. Though, like Gold Coast, if the crowd is a disaster, revert back to Giants stadium going forward. And if vs Sydney, try and get access to Accor Stadium for a one off, and if not, stick to Giants Stadium.

Something I have thought in the past

Elimination/Qualifying Finals - Played in your home stadium

Semi Finals - Played in the largest stadium in your city

Preliminary Finals - Played in the largest stadium in your state

So for Adelaide/Port Adelaide/Fremantle/West Coast/Sydney/Brisbane/Collingwood/Hawthorn/Richmond/Melbourne - The status quo is maintained.

Carlton/Essendon - In effect, the status quo is maintained, however, I might add the caveat that if they earn a home final for the Elimination/Qualifying Final, and the other 3 games are hosted by MCG tenants, then this game would move to Marvel Stadium as it's also their home.

North Melbourne/St Kilda/Western Bulldogs would host at Marvel Stadium for elimination/qualifying finals. Then move to the MCG for semi finals onwards.

Geelong would host at GMHBA Stadium for Elimination/Qualifying/Semi Finals, then move to the MCG for the preliminary final.

Gold Coast would host elimination/qualifying/semi finals at Metricon Stadium, then for preliminary final host at the GABBA, HOWEVER - If the crowd is a disaster, or it's vs Brisbane, revert it back to Metricon

Greater Western Sydney would host elimination/qualifying at Giants stadium, then semi/preliminary final at SCG. Though, like Gold Coast, if the crowd is a disaster, revert back to Giants stadium going forward. And if vs Sydney, try and get access to Accor Stadium for a one off, and if not, stick to Giants Stadium.
This would be a somewhat fair and reasonable compromise. So it has 0% chance of happening. Give Essendon and Carlton Geelong's "home" matches at the G (so Geelong has 11 at GMHBA) and it starts to look like a normal fixture.

Heads would implode if the likes of Collingwood, Richmond or Hawthorn had to travel to Geelong for a Qualifying Final.

Geelong even versus the smaller interstate teams like Fremantle would still draw 60k+ at the MCG in a final.

It's hard to argue to use GMHBA over it. The AFL will be losing money when another Stadium(MCG) is so close by.
so there goes the argument about having to travel to GMHBA... its "close by" so traveling there clearly not an issue.

GO Catters

Look I understand all the Cats supporters arguments but why do you have to come out with nasty insults to try and get your points across?

Look I understand all the Cats supporters arguments but why do you have to come out with nasty insults to try and get your points across?

Well there are a group of Tiger fans under various aliases that ruin every Geelong-related thread - and any thread they find that mentions Geelong. So Cats fans often assume most posts that have the Tigers are their club are of that kind.

Just scanning through the last page of this thread the closest thing I can find to a personal insult is ‘your brains can’t handle it.’

It was delivered by a tigers fan.

Says the guy that's team has played Collingwood at the G seven (7) times in the last quarter of a century including finals.

pot / kettle black?

Nope.

We have asked for more games at the G and would happily give up games v the tenants at Docklands, even tho we usually win and have the majority of the crowd there.

Just scanning through the last page of this thread the closest thing I can find to a personal insult is ‘your brains can’t handle it.’

It was delivered by a tigers fan.

Bit convenient to only go back one page.

Go back a bit further and you’ll find ‘Pies fans wouldn’t be able to afford train to Geelong on Centrelink pay’ and Richmond has a ‘Pissant fan base’ both courtesy of Art Vandelay.

Then Gunf chipped in with ‘Richmond membership comes with a microwave’

And your good self PB came up with ‘I’m surprised you’re allowed access to sharp implements’ to a Pies fan.

Was all this necessary to argue that you want to play finals at GMHBA?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit convenient to only go back one page.

Go back a bit further and you’ll find ‘Pies fans wouldn’t be able to afford train to Geelong on Centrelink pay’ and Richmond has a ‘Pissant fan base’ both courtesy of Art Vandelay.

Then Gunf chipped in with ‘Richmond membership comes with a microwave’

And your good self PB came up with ‘I’m surprised you’re allowed access to sharp implements’ to a Pies fan.

Was all this necessary to argue that you want to play finals at GMHBA?

Yes

Unfortunately your brain cannot grasp the fact that GMHBA Stadium doesn't fit enough people for finals.
and what pray tell is enough people for Finals? Seems pretty transient number to me....
But given you seem to have anointed yourself as controller of that please let us and the AFL know.

and hardly unsurprising that you had to get personal and not debate the facts.

GO Catters

Always a stupid debate. Never changes.

Home teams get home finals. Dilution of H&A importance always leads to poor outcomes. MLB & NBA are case in point.

50/50 allocation similarly stupid. Home team gets the allocation. Don't like it as a member/supporter? Bang out an email to your club telling them to win more games.

How is this still a thing?

Sorry GWS and Freo…it’s just you Geelong will have a distinct home ground advantage against…

Everyone else, you’re good to go…

We play well there and have beaten them before in a final, but the whole thing is a massive steaming turd

Freo get all their home finals at their home ground. Why would you bring up freo?

And gws have had home finals. And this is despite the fact they are a sydney team.

Geelong remains the greatest disadvanataged team in world sport.

All our home finals should be in geelong. All our home games should be in geelong. Its cost us at least two flags in the past 15 years.

Teams like Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon rarely if ever get to play at the smaller venues anyway. It is an absolute joke. I'm sure people in Tasmania would love to see those teams play there. But when the Devils enter the league, if you relocate their home games vs Collingwood, etc to the MCG, you're a joke for sure.

Gold Coast = a bit like the reserves in the league, they go everywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back