D2 Division 2 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intersted to know what the situation is at old paradians. Absolutely dominant in ACC school football competitions but can't translate to VAFA? Is the main reason no one goes across the lower division they play in or are there other big factors? Would be firmly in B grade at least if they could bring a little under half the talent from the school teams.

Intersted to know what the situation is at old paradians. Absolutely dominant in ACC school football competitions but can't translate to VAFA? Is the main reason no one goes across the lower division they play in or are there other big factors? Would be firmly in B grade at least if they could bring a little under half the talent from the school teams.

Not involved in the club but I know the demographics of the area pretty well. I'd say the overriding factor is that ACC do not play Saturday morning sport hence the Parade kids are generally more likely to continue through to U17s at their junior clubs, typically NFNL, YJFL or EDFL clubs with NFNL/EDFL-aligned seniors. Once they get to 17-18 the relationship with the junior club is stronger than the pull of the Old boys, and the lure of the almighty dollar within those leagues means the decision to pass on the Old Boys is an easy one.

Couple that with the fact that 5th section VAFA (although named D2) is probably less glamorous of a prospect than D1-3 NFNL (despite the fact that I believe many D2 VAFA teams would beat D3 NFNL teams)

Old Eltham Collegians faced the same problem and decided to jump to the paid league.

Some good games this weekend and will be interested to see the results at the end of the day.

Aquinas v MHSOB - Unicorns in great form
Manningham v Old Parade - flip of the coin game.
Glen Eira
v Ivanhoe - the top team to take another four points
West Brunswick v Powerhouse - bouncing back after last week
Bulleen Temp v Yarra - I think this will be tight also, but Yarra to get the chocolates.

Good luck all.
Chump

Pretty much everyone from that school plays for either bundoora greensborough or st Mary's which are all good nfnl clubs and $$ talks

Not involved in the club but I know the demographics of the area pretty well. I'd say the overriding factor is that ACC do not play Saturday morning sport hence the Parade kids are generally more likely to continue through to U17s at their junior clubs, typically NFNL, YJFL or EDFL clubs with NFNL/EDFL-aligned seniors. Once they get to 17-18 the relationship with the junior club is stronger than the pull of the Old boys, and the lure of the almighty dollar within those leagues means the decision to pass on the Old Boys is an easy one.

Couple that with the fact that 5th section VAFA (although named D2) is probably less glamorous of a prospect than D1-3 NFNL (despite the fact that I believe many D2 VAFA teams would beat D3 NFNL teams)

Old Eltham Collegians faced the same problem and decided to jump to the paid league.
There are one or two other possible factors, but this is as good of a summation as I’ve read.

see Parade are playing Glen Eira at Parade this week, watch the ammos appoint ex student Macciorni and his dad to umpire this game! Better let SuperCoach know Strobler to get on the phone to the overlords.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

see Parade are playing Glen Eira at Parade this week, watch the ammos appoint ex student Macciorni and his dad to umpire this game! Better let SuperCoach know Strobler to get on the phone to the overlords.
In news that may surprise you, we actually play 9 games at home. In fact, we’ve been playing at Parade since the late 70s in fact. It’s not a new thing 😀

In news that may surprise you, we actually play 9 games at home. In fact, we’ve been playing at Parade since the late 70s in fact. It’s not a new thing 😀
You’re missing the point Mappa! With big games like this one, the dream team of father & son get allocated to umpire parade with potential ramification. Just ask whitefriars about top of the table clash out there at parade. The friars unloaded on the overlords and yet they still persist in giving these 2 games at parade!

Complaining about them umpiring Parade is exactly the same as saying I should never have umpired Westbourne games because my kids were in the juniors and I waved the flags for them on Sundays, or I should have been excluded from De La Salle matches in A Section because I'm a fellow Lasallian, or from St Bernards because I dislike their supporters.

I know and have run with the umpires concerned, and if you think they are anything but completely impartial once they pick up a whistle you need your head read. The Maccionis are at Parade to enjoy running together for the big game at their alma mater. Not to be one-sided or to tip the scales. Just doesn't make sense.

If they are not impartial and cost you the game, I expect you to tell us a delegation from your club is banging on HQ's door at 9am on Monday clutching a USB of video evidence. I've got a nice crisp $50 here that says you can't, because they won't.

"Umpires cost us the game!" is shorthand for "we didn't kick straight, turned it over cheaply, didn't keep it in play, showed no discipline or self-control, and the other team was better."

not everyone is clever enough to understand “unconscious bias” like you OTP but some do. How would you explain a qtr in which 20 free kicks were paid in favor of parade by Maccoroni? That stat came to me via friars a few years back. VAFA obs very short of quality umpires to appoint to this level. Oh well with the lockdown we will never know who got appointed.

Does anyone understand how the match ratio system works that the VAFA have said they are going to use?
#confused
Chump
It's a mechanism that is put in place in the event that certain sides have more games cancelled than others. For example if Ivanhoe have a game cancelled in Round 16 because a number of players have been ordered to isolate, them (and their opponent) would then finish the season with 16 games compared to 17 from everyone else. As such, the Match Ratio is used to figure out ladder positions. Match Ratio is essential % of games won.

It won't be relevant at this stage as all games are cancelled so all teams remain on the same games played.

not everyone is clever enough to understand “unconscious bias” like you OTP but some do. How would you explain a qtr in which 20 free kicks were paid in favor of parade by Maccoroni? That stat came to me via friars a few years back. VAFA obs very short of quality umpires to appoint to this level.

I wonder how ill-disciplined and narky Friars were to give away that many frees? If indeed it was 20, which seems a nice round number. My apologies, but it sounds like a wonderful tale that just grows with each telling.

I'm certain that if Friars were that cut up about the umpiring instead of their own performance, they would have been on the blower to Brian Speaking, it would have been investigated, and I'd have heard about it on the VAFAUA jungle drums.

I wonder how many frees were paid FOR Friars in the same game? The tale doesn't mention that.

I'm sorry you have to walk in circles due to the weight of the chip on your shoulder.

It's a mechanism that is put in place in the event that certain sides have more games cancelled than others. For example if Ivanhoe have a game cancelled in Round 16 because a number of players have been ordered to isolate, them (and their opponent) would then finish the season with 16 games compared to 17 from everyone else. As such, the Match Ratio is used to figure out ladder positions. Match Ratio is essential % of games won.

It won't be relevant at this stage as all games are cancelled so all teams remain on the same games played.

Thanks Workhorse - I thought they were reverting to it now!

So at this stage it's just a loss of round and the season will be determined on 17 games - unless the VAFA look to make up the round later in the year?

Chump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back