Starchild > You
Jul 6, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Renegades
Oh, this one gives me great pleasure.

During the 2022 AFL Draft, Sydney traded out what was originally pick 14 tied to Melbourne (via Adelaide and the Dawson trade) and eventually Pick 18 to Hawthorn in return for Pick 27, a Future Round 2 and Future Round 3 in the 2023 draft. Using that pick 27 we drafted Cooper Vickery and now get the added pleasure of see where Hawthorn will finish up in season 2023.

If you are unsure how future picks work, it means the lower Hawthorn finish on the ladder in 2023, the better our draft picks will be. So every week when you cheer on the Swans, you now have an ADDITIONAL reason to cheer for the Hawks to be smashed at every opportunity.

Hawthorn finished 13th in Season 2022 and then had a big trade period losing more established players and are expected to slide. Will they be bottom 4? Will they surprise everyone and make finals? Let's find out as we deathride, the Hawthorn Football Club

As it stands:
OUT: Dawson
IN: Cooper Vickery, F2, F3

Fortunately Hawthorn have one of the worst midfields in recent memory so I hope they will finish in the bottom 2 or 3.

I mean it could become good, but their most experienced mid this year is Worpel who is only 24, and while he is hard at it his disposal is iffy at best, and he is going to be their midfield leader.

Oh, this one gives me great pleasure.

During the 2022 AFL Draft, Sydney traded out what was originally pick 14 tied to Melbourne (via Adelaide and the Dawson trade) and eventually Pick 18 to Hawthorn in return for Pick 27, a Future Round 2 and Future Round 3 in the 2023 draft. Using that pick 27 we drafted Cooper Vickery and now get the added pleasure of see where Hawthorn will finish up in season 2023.

If you are unsure how future picks work, it means the lower Hawthorn finish on the ladder in 2023, the better our draft picks will be. So every week when you cheer on the Swans, you now have an ADDITIONAL reason to cheer for the Hawks to be smashed at every opportunity.

Hawthorn finished 13th in Season 2022 and then had a big trade period losing more established players and are expected to slide. Will they be bottom 4? Will they surprise everyone and make finals? Let's find out as we deathride, the Hawthorn Football Club

As it stands:
OUT: Dawson
IN: Cooper Vickery, F2, F3
Would be surprised if Hawks weren't bottom 4. So Vickery, 20-22, 40-42.

I don't pay much attention to them, but here's my go at their best 22 (no idea about lingering injuries etc).

FF: Moore Lewis MacDonald
HF: Wingard Koschitzke Breust
C: Amon Nash Morrison
HB: Impey Hardwick Day
FB: Sicily Frost Scrimshaw
R: Meek Newcombe Ward

Int: Lynch DGB Worpel Jiath
Eme: Reeves Howe Jeka

Amon's a great get, and thought they did well at the draft with Mackenzie, Hustwaite, Weddle, Macdonald, Vicke...never mind. But not sure any of the draftees are going to lift them up the ladder (next year anyway).

I've been deathriding the hawks since before we made a trade deal

Of course I want them to lose but I actually quite like Hawthorn fans. I go onto their board to banter with them when Sydney are playing them and they are usually quite good sports. Right up there with Brisbane fans in terms of likability.

Of course I want them to lose but I actually quite like Hawthorn fans. I go onto their board to banter with them when Sydney are playing them and they are usually quite good sports. Right up there with Brisbane fans in terms of likability.
The two Hawks fans that I know (in real life), are my brother who supported them as a kid and only takes a remote interest in finals when they're challenging for / winning flags, so I guess the only Hawks fan I know is a friend of my brothers who decided to call and mock me within a few seconds of the 2014 siren, rather than celebrating his team's win. We'd met a few times I think, and he had to ask my brother for my number to actually call me.

So that, combined with their period of dominance, and the likes of Clarkson and Hodge, mean I couldn't give a fig if they spend decades in the wilderness. Which is a pity because I used to have a soft spot for them. Certainly they're still no Crows or Collingwood.

Here’s how it plays out:

1. Deathride Hawthorn all year

2. Hawthorn duly finish 17th

3. Swans use the resultant pick 20 on a skinny half-back flanker who appeared in zero phantom drafts

4. Bigfooty melts are on a Chernobyl scale

72zatq.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s how it plays out:

1. Deathride Hawthorn all year

2. Hawthorn duly finish 17th

3. Swans use the resultant pick 20 on a skinny half-back flanker who appeared in zero phantom drafts

4. Bigfooty melts are on a Chernobyl scale
I'd say it'd be better if we used a Hawks pick on one of the NGA players but we already did that ;)

+ Smitch is such a crazy control freak, he took over drafting. He brooks no opposition or debate.
Thing about that, he's still very green when it comes to the coaching caper. He may think he knows it all and knows better then others, and who knows, he may get lucky, but my bet is that experience will eventually show him that you should lean on the people around you with experience in their field, and that will get you the best outcome, rather than thinking you know best and overrule everyone else.

I for one hope he continues to be dictator Mitch.

Thing about that, he's still very green when it comes to the coaching caper. He may think he knows it all and knows better then others, and who knows, he may get lucky, but my bet is that experience will eventually show him that you should lean on the people around you with experience in their field, and that will get you the best outcome, rather than thinking you know best and overrule everyone else.

I for one hope he continues to be dictator Mitch.
A bit like "Crazy Vossy". At least smitch did a bit of an apprenticeship. (Not enough).

A bit like "Crazy Vossy". At least smitch did a bit of an apprenticeship. (Not enough).

The Weasels thought he was good but were happy to see him leave. SMitch apparently* had an affair with the ex wife of a former Weasels legend.(Embley)

What does it matter? I suppose if Sam was cheating then it might throw some shade on his character, but we don't know if he was. Unless his partner has come out and condemned him for his actions we won't ever have much evidence to assess.

Hawthorn will pay about $750,000 next year for the salaries of traded veterans Tom Mitchell and Jaeger O’Meara, who will be playing at other clubs.
Sources confirmed the Hawks would pay about $500,000 of O’Meara’s salary next year and about $250,000 of Mitchell’s.

It was also revealed in The Age this week that Hawthorn have finalised their payout to former coach Alastair Clarkson and will pay the four-time premiership coach the final $450,000 he was still owed for his last contract.

Karl Amon also arrived from Port Adelaide as a free agent on about $650,000 a year.

I've heard this money is budgeted as coming from the insurance payment resulting from Jeff Kennett blowing up Waverley as he walks out the door next week.

And had to have this recorded for posterity in this thread;
death rider small.jpg

That is nuts! Surely they don't have a tight cap with possibly the youngest list in the comp. Why would they have been so desperate to get rid of those guys?? They didn't even get great picks in return.

Could they maybe be front-ending contracts so that they can go hard down the track? Plus there's that ability to pay up to 105% of salary cap if you spend only 95% the season before.

Overall it's just weird!

That is nuts! Surely they don't have a tight cap with possibly the youngest list in the comp. Why would they have been so desperate to get rid of those guys?? They didn't even get great picks in return.

Could they maybe be front-ending contracts so that they can go hard down the track? Plus there's that ability to pay up to 105% of salary cap if you spend only 95% the season before.

Overall it's just weird!
I think it's a fairly sound strategy from Mitchell's perspective. They weren't going to be part of the next flag, so why bother keeping them on the list just to remain slightly more competitive. He's in the coaching honeymoon period, if they finish bottom 4 for the next 2-3 years, they'll collect a bunch of top pics, his current list will grow together, along with adding high end talent via the draft. And if all goes well they'll have a core list who will develop together and start peaking at the same time. They'd probably be aiming to make finals in say 4 years, and contending between years 5 and 10.

That's if everything goes according to plan of course.

I think it's a fairly sound strategy from Mitchell's perspective. They weren't going to be part of the next flag, so why bother keeping them on the list just to remain slightly more competitive. He's in the coaching honeymoon period, if they finish bottom 4 for the next 2-3 years, they'll collect a bunch of top pics, his current list will grow together, along with adding high end talent via the draft. And if all goes well they'll have a core list who will develop together and start peaking at the same time. They'd probably be aiming to make finals in say 4 years, and contending between years 5 and 10.

That's if everything goes according to plan of course.
I don't pay much attention to other clubs as a rule, but if my memory serves me correctly, isn't that pretty much the same strategy that Clarkson used at Hawthorn when he first started out? Worked out pretty good for him I'd think.

I don't pay much attention to other clubs as a rule, but if my memory serves me correctly, isn't that pretty much the same strategy that Clarkson used at Hawthorn when he first started out? Worked out pretty good for him I'd think.
A lot of those picks were priority picks too iirc

Back