Preview Changes for Round 2, 2023 vs Collingwood @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finlayson kicked 1.4 in the trial game so not sure he will help with the goal kicking.

But what he does bring, and what Georgiades lacks, is a presence around the ground. His field kicking is sublime. Evasiveness in and around the contest is great. And obvious ruck pinch hitting.

If he is fit and ready he has to play.

drew has to play and should be assigned daicos and lets see if daicos can play with some heat for a change.
Id go Jones on Daicos and see how he goes with heat and physicality.

Also test him for pace and overhead marking going the other way.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

All the ******* time. Try watching football you potato
???

2014 was a long time ago. He'll play when fit, but the only team a Wines - Boak led midfield has regularly had the wood over in the last 5 years is the Gold Coast SUNS. Why pretend otherwise? We know what our record against the top 8 and in close games is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn’t care less about the result on the weekend if we don’t back it up this week with an equally competitive performance. Can’t shake the feeling that we played our grand final over the weekend; and that the win will be pointed to as improvement despite any capitulation from here. Prove me wrong Ports

Last edited:
On Georgiadis - he had six shots on goal against Brisbane. Only Dixon, Toby Greene and Rankine had more for the round.

The hard part is already there. We know he can kick - we've all seen it - and the wheel will turn.

We backed in Todd and are reaping the benefits. Time to do the same with Mitch.

On Georgiadis - he had six shots on goal against Brisbane. Only Dixon, Toby Greene and Rankine had more for the round.

The hard part is already there. We know he can kick - we've all seen it - and the wheel will turn.

We backed in Todd and are reaping the benefits. Time to do the same with Mitch.
I fear he lacks the IQ Marshall has

Also you have to reward a team for an effort / game like that.

The balance feels and looks right, all be it a TALL defender short but no one is coming in to help that
We are still rucking with midfielders. Going from Georgiades to Finlayson (if match fit) fixes that.

The kicking skill off the half back line is now matched with the midfield. Houston, Farrell, Burton all gun kicks, there is one dud kick.... DBJ.
DBJ past 6 games DE%
89% (12 kicks) Vs Brisbane
87% (9 kicks) Vs Fremantle
69% (12 kicks) Vs Adelaide
91% (9 kicks) Vs Essendon
59% (11 kicks) Vs Richmond
80% (13 kicks) Vs Collingwood

Compared to, say, Brayden Maynard past 6 games DE%

84% (13 kicks) vs Geelong
67% (11 kicks) vs Sydney
90% (8 kicks) vs Fremantle
68% (12 kicks) vs Geelong
67% (14 kicks) vs Carlton
67% (15 kicks) vs Sydney

I rate Maynard and would have him in our side in a heartbeat. His disposal is on par with DBJ, as would most quality small defenders around the league off half back. It's the pittard-effect. He didn't have his best year in 2022 but his public bashing on this board is definitely overreaching. I back him in to play that role in our squad over anyone else.

We get our 3 biggest rivals in my opinion in the AFL in the first 3 weeks. Knocking off Collingwood at the MCG is about as sweet as it gets. I definitely don't want to lose either of the next two games. Feels like Port plays better as the hunter not the hunted, when they have got a point to prove. They need to prove that Saturday wasn't just a one off round 1 emotion victory.

Someone being slack not posting a preview thread.

I find it a bit amusing that Collingwood fans are pinning their hopes on Billy Frampton to replace Howe. This is the same Frampton that Marshall kicked 5 goals on the last time he played as a defender - and that was without Dixon playing. If Frampton is the answer...you're asking the wrong ****ing question.

Also, for people saying Boak shouldn't come in - there's a bit of a difference between Horne-Francis, Rozee and Butters dominating against the likes of Neale, Dunkley and Ashcroft at Adelaide Oval vs them doing the same thing against Pendlebury, Adams and DeGoey at the MCG. It's a lot harder to pressure the ground.

For mine, as long as they are fit, Boak comes in for Jones and Finlayson comes in for Georgiades who drops to the sub spot. The reason why Drew and Jones were rucking during the Brisbane match was literally because we weren't playing Finlayson and we wanted Dixon to drag opponents away from the stoppage to create space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back