Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v the Suns, Round 10.

Who wins by how many?

• Lions by 1-19.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Lions by 20-39.

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Lions by 40+

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Draw.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Suns by 1-19.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Suns by 20-39.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suns by 40+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Suns have been very competitive all season, this will be a tough encounter although we should get the job done. I can not see there being any changes.

I included a poll for something different and to see who the Nostradamus's are on our board.

Outs- Zilch.

Ins-
image.jpg

Last edited:
I think it’s past time to move on Gunston. Teams will start doing what Essendon did and put a player they can play through on him because he just can’t win one on ones
Yeah as unlikely as it is I’d like to see us give Fort another go in that role given how well we looked structurally when he was there against North. I think with our smalls seemingly applying more pressure this year having an extra taller player up there is mitigated and tbh Fort probably isn’t much slower (if at all) than Gunston anyway.

Edit or as martinson said in the review thread, play Cam as the third tall who would be as good in a contested situation as Gunston and bring in possibly another small and ratchet up the pressure even further.

Last edited:

I think it’s past time to move on Gunston. Teams will start doing what Essendon did and put a player they can play through on him because he just can’t win one on ones
Redman completely carved him up.

When we come up against the top teams they'll have a circle around his name and put someone on him to make the most of the opportunity.

We won't win a flag with him in the team imo.

Not holding my breath though.

I would be for Fullarton coming in for him but Gunston is not being dropped, similar to Rich, too many runs on the board, I just can not see the match committee doing it.

Would be huge call, Gunston has another year to go on his contract, he wasn't bought up here to help us win VFL flags.

I would be for Fullarton coming in for him but Gunston is not being dropped, similar to Rich, too many runs on the board, I just can not see the match committee doing it.

Would be huge call, Gunston has another year to go on his contract, he wasn't bought up here to help us win VFL flags.

He's no guarantee to come straight back in.

I reckon it's worth finding out if Tom can bring it at AFL level. He's gone another level at VFL level and given he's out of contract, it is a great opportunity to see where he's at. We know what Gunston has to offer at this stage.

He's no guarantee to come straight back in.

I reckon it's worth finding out if Tom can bring it at AFL level. He's gone another level at VFL level and given he's out of contract, it is a great opportunity to see where he's at. We know what Gunston has to offer at this stage.
The problem with Tommy previously to my eye has been his competitiveness in the contest especially for a big guy. I don’t think talent was ever really an issue but if he has improved that competitive side of his game I’d be all for giving him another go in the seniors to see if he now has what it takes. Could be another point of difference for us with his skills at ground level for a guy his size.

The problem with Tommy previously to my eye has been his competitiveness in the contest especially for a big guy. I don’t think talent was ever really an issue but if he has improved that competitive side of his game I’d be all for giving him another go in the seniors to see if he now has what it takes. Could be another point of difference for us with his skills at ground level for a guy his size.

Has 5 tackles to go with his six goals in the VFL and the game hasn't even finished. Has really stepped up.

Has 5 tackles to go with his six goals in the VFL and the game hasn't even finished. Has really stepped up.

Can he play Gunston's role, though? Can he lead at the right time to create space? Can he stay out of Hippy n Joes marking contests? Can he bring the other forwards in to it.

On form he has certainly earn't a crack, but these are the questions the match committee will be asking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can he play Gunston's role, though? Can he lead at the right time to create space? Can he stay out of Hippy n Joes marking contests? Can he bring the other forwards in to it.

On form he has certainly earn't a crack, but these are the questions the match committee will be asking.
I agree and I think that people are underestimating what Gunston is bringing.
He is playing the role to perfection really, by dragging defenders away from the our other game winners and creating space for them to do their thing.
He will have his day out and I am sure it is not too far away.
But not against him being rested at times this year and giving Fullarton a go when he is.
Getting Joe up the ground is the perfect role for Joe, it gets him into the game more and he seems to really enjoy that. So that is why Fullarton is a good option rather than Fort.

Glad we brought in someone of Gunstons ability to stay out of the good forwards way. You can't teach that

I think Fullarton is very similar to Payne,a late starter with tons of ability. Big players take longer to develop anyway and he has started a long way back because of his basketball background. If he got the chance to play a string of games a la Payne I think he could develop into a very good tall utility who could play in multiple positions.

Glad we brought in someone of Gunstons ability to stay out of the good forwards way. You can't teach that
If it is goals we want to judge him on and as a comparison to Dan McStay.
Gunston this year is averaging 1.3 goals per game.
Dan last year (Lions) averaged 1.1 goals per game.
Career average - Gunston 1.9 goals per game
McStay - .8 goals per game

To add to that McStay is averaging .6 goals per game this year for Collingwood having played 3 less games than Gunston

Respectfully, is Gunston playing the Gunston role well? I watched him quite closely last night when he was up my end of the ground and he was soundly beaten by the oppositions rookie third tall and could not get front position at all. It was very surprising to see him beaten that badly.

Regarding whether Fullarton will get in the other forwards ways - there is only one way to find out. One thing is certain though, he is thriving as a forward in the VFL.

I think a second ruck option would be good against the Suns, whether that's Fullarton or Joe, we could make it so that we still have just 2 tall targets. I think Joe is a fantastic option when he plays between half and fwd 50. Then maybe Rayner replaces Gunston's position

I think a second ruck option would be good against the Suns, whether that's Fullarton or Joe, we could make it so that we still have just 2 tall targets. I think Joe is a fantastic option when he plays between half and fwd 50. Then maybe Rayner replaces Gunston's position

I thought we finally got the balance right with Cam on the weekend. Gave him plenty of time up the ground and had a big impact. 8 score involvements, a lot of pressure and 5 clearances.

I thought we finally got the balance right with Cam on the weekend. Gave him plenty of time up the ground and had a big impact. 8 score involvements, a lot of pressure and 5 clearances.

Also the time in the middle for Cam. I’m not sure that’s possible if he has to be the third tall. Be leaving just Hipwood up forward if Joe and Cam went into the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back