Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Suns Round 8 @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justa comment on Tunstill. Not sure how Tunstill can show it from the subs bench.
People have been calling for the youngsters to be given a good run of games,and the only full game he's had the whole team stunk it up, and to be then dropped is exactly what the anti-Faganates have been complaining about.
Could be wrong but I see something in Tunstill and the full game he played he was totally focused on being a role player and playing a cameo.

We keep hearing that the reserves just aren't good enough and whilst that might be true no one ever got any good without a reasonable opportunity.

Other clubs manage to bring in guys where you wonder how on earth weren't they getting a game. The good thing about getting a bit desperate is that we might be forced to mix it up a bit. Or at least realise that we aren't going to build dynasties on bringing in high end players. You need to develop the ones you have and if they're not up to it pick the eyes out of the next tier and get them to your club and develop them.

I'm not against us bringing in Ryan this year. He's had his season curtailed by injury but we could make something of him.

Joe kicks a lot of goals wheeling around on to that left foot from outside 50 and when he does they're team lifters.

Likewise he's been one of our better players this year and the effort has been there.

As for Gardiner who would know.
Daniher missing from 50 when theres a guy open isnt a "team lifter" it's a bummer

Could be wrong but I see something in Tunstill and the full game he played he was totally focused on being a role player and playing a cameo.

We keep hearing that the reserves just aren't good enough and whilst that might be true no one ever got any good without a reasonable opportunity.

Other clubs manage to bring in guys where you wonder how on earth weren't they getting a game. The good thing about getting a bit desperate is that we might be forced to mix it up a bit. Or at least realise that we aren't going to build dynasties on bringing in high end players. You need to develop the ones you have and if they're not up to it pick the eyes out of the next tier and get them to your club and develop them.

I'm not against us bringing in Ryan this year. He's had his season curtailed by injury but we could make something of him.
Mate, Tunstill is a dud. He's fumbly, average kick, average mark........just not that good. Brain, Bruce and torrent are way better

Mate, Tunstill is a dud. He's fumbly, average kick, average mark........just not that good. Brain, Bruce and torrent are way better
That’s how I kinda feel in that I’ve not seen Jimmy do one thing where I think he’ll be anything long term but there’s enough people on here whose opinion I respect that think otherwise so happy to proven wrong on him.

That’s how I kinda feel in that I’ve not seen Jimmy do one thing where I think he’ll be anything long term but there’s enough people on here whose opinion I respect that think otherwise so happy to proven wrong on him.

He may end up a long term prospect or he may not but he deserves a fair crack at it that doesn't involve subbing or getting stranded out on the wing. Could end up turning out okay but getting pushed out by the Ashcroft brothers.

Surely young Morris comes in for this game. We need to do something about our forward line because it’s been the real let down this season.

Crazy how Rayner has a huge game against the Demons playing more midfield time but then ends up playing less midfield time against the Giants.
Zorko back to the halfback line with Answerth or Wilmot playing more time on the wing.

Big O back in or take a chance on one of the 15 young rucks we’ve got on our list.

Didn't see the game how much mid time was Rayner given and where did he play otherwise? Blows my mind that after the Mel game he wasn't given the same or more V Giants. Is his fitness still an issue?

Okay here’s what I think the changes will be.

Fort for Oscar is pretty obvious.

Ah Chee presumably out injured. Jarryd Lyons played well in reserves last week and I think he will be hard to look past, especially if they will be making another change to bring in some young blood.

Which brings me to Darcy Gardiner. He’s been a favourite of Fagan but I think his performance has been so poor that there is no option but to drop him. I think that Harry Sharp will be the one to replace him.

Sharp is an excellent runner, he ran a record 2km time at the 2022 combine and his pace will look very attractive after how slow and unfit we looked last week against the Giants. Sharp has been in good form in the VFL with 22 and 2 last week and 22 and 1 the week before. He will rotate between midfield and forward, with Rayner probably the other one to play additional time in the forward line with Gardiner out.

Other players could potentially be dropped but Fagan has shown he is probably not going to cull the team.

Out: Fort, Ah Chee, Gardiner

In: Oscar, Lyons, Sharp

Okay here’s what I think the changes will be.

Fort for Oscar is pretty obvious.

Ah Chee presumably out injured. Jarryd Lyons played well in reserves last week and I think he will be hard to look past, especially if they will be making another change to bring in some young blood.

Which brings me to Darcy Gardiner. He’s been a favourite of Fagan but I think his performance has been so poor that there is no option but to drop him. I think that Harry Sharp will be the one to replace him.

Sharp is an excellent runner, he ran a record 2km time at the 2022 combine and his pace will look very attractive after how slow and unfit we looked last week against the Giants. Sharp has been in good form in the VFL with 22 and 2 last week and 22 and 1 the week before. He will rotate between midfield and forward, with Rayner probably the other one to play additional time in the forward line with Gardiner out.

Other players could potentially be dropped but Fagan has shown he is probably not going to cull the team.

Out: Fort, Ah Chee, Gardiner

In: Oscar, Lyons, Sharp

IMO, Lyons was real ordinary in the first 3/4 yesterday, and all game trailled his opponent by 20 metres - same problem as in the A grade.

Tunstill was not much better - we got belted out of the middle. Brain has earn't a callup, and someone has to make way.

Zorko is 35 and in his last season. We have to get games into Reville as his kicking is going to be essential to us next year. A mature debutant, just like Zorko was.

IMO, Lyons was real ordinary in the first 3/4 yesterday, and all game trailled his opponent by 20 metres - same problem as in the A grade.

Tunstill was not much better - we got belted out of the middle. Brain has earn't a callup, and someone has to make way.

Zorko is 35 and in his last season. We have to get games into Reville as his kicking is going to be essential to us next year. A mature debutant, just like Zorko was.
Bruce Reville, Shadeau Brain and Keidean Coleman into the side in 2025 would make for a substantial improvement in our field kicking, all 3 are very calm under pressure, get the ball in their hands.

I wouldn't rule out Sharp and Prior either. Coaches don't seem to want to play those guys.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jaxon Prior a possibility I suppose, OOC this year. Harry Sharp not OOC till 2025 so he would have to be a trade out, personally couldn't see anyone being interested, at the moment anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the hundreth person to say this but let's get 2/3 of a season of development into Logan Morris and see what he's got, can't do much worse than what Gardiner is doing.

Against Melbourne, Hipwood and Daniher played more traditional roles leading out of the square and it was our best performance for a long time, let's go back to that.

I wouldn't rule out Sharp and Prior either. Coaches don't seem to want to play those guys.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Prior has peaked. He's a solid state level footballer. Never shown any more. Would be comfortable moving him on at the end of season.

Sharp should get a bit more time. Seems to just be starting to find consistency at state level

The reality is, the results haven't been good enough. I actually agree though with Fagan that the team deserves some loyalty being shown however the reality is, that loyalty cannot be absolute.

The side needs to have a statement made and it doesn't have to be mass changes. It does though need to be some of the guys who have been underperforming really badly this year and until now, have been mainstays in the side.

So here is looking at you Hipwood and Gardiner. Now don't get me wrong, this is probably a bit harsh on Gardiner but remember, this is to make a statement. Hipwood needs to be dropped, you cannot play as badly as he is almost week in, week out with no consequences. Gardiner is a total non-factor in his role and the reality is, our defense, honestly, has been doing really well when you consider just how much they have had to deal with because they are getting no help whatsoever from their forwards and not much from the mids either. I'd also be putting Rayner, Cameron and the entire midfield on notice that if they don't step up their defensive work, they are next in line. Protect Tunstill, give him a proper crack at it.

And look, I know none of this will happen but given Dev is not available as far as I know, this is what I would do:

Out: Fort, Ah Chee (injured and not going well anyway), Gardiner, Hipwood
In: McInerney (sigh), Sharp, Ryan, Morris
Sub: Rayner

The reality is, the results haven't been good enough. I actually agree though with Fagan that the team deserves some loyalty being shown however the reality is, that loyalty cannot be absolute.

The side needs to have a statement made and it doesn't have to be mass changes. It does though need to be some of the guys who have been underperforming really badly this year and until now, have been mainstays in the side.

So here is looking at you Hipwood and Gardiner. Now don't get me wrong, this is probably a bit harsh on Gardiner but remember, this is to make a statement. Hipwood needs to be dropped, you cannot play as badly as he is almost week in, week out with no consequences. Gardiner is a total non-factor in his role and the reality is, our defense, honestly, has been doing really well when you consider just how much they have had to deal with because they are getting no help whatsoever from their forwards and not much from the mids either. I'd also be putting Rayner, Cameron and the entire midfield on notice that if they don't step up their defensive work, they are next in line. Protect Tunstill, give him a proper crack at it.

And look, I know none of this will happen but given Dev is not available as far as I know, this is what I would do:

Is it really the best option to debut two key forwards at the same time for the club? One who hasn’t played before and another who played three games for another club after being a mid season draft pick?

You could drop one of Gardiner or Hipwood but dropping both will just lead to failure.

Huh? Lyons didn't play reserves at all last week. If you mean against Southport, he was pretty mediocre until the last ten minutes when he moved into the forward line and kicked a couple of goals. He doesn't deserve a place in the seniors over someone like Reville.

In: Morris/Ryan and Reville.
Out: Gardiner and Ah Chee.

Our best contested marks and best ball user available seem to be a in the VFL currently.
Morris for Gardiner makes sense because they're both third talls. Ryan only makes sense if he's coming in for Hipwood or Daniher, otherwise we'll be playing 3 pure KPFs, which hasn't worked out well for us before.

Problem is after every loss, coaches and players alike have said we need to make a statement and it just doesn’t happen, well once against North. It’s now pretty hard not to be cynical that they won’t or they’ll fail. This team has eroded a lot of trust across the first seven games of the season.

I’m the opposite, now is the time to make changes that have been too gutless to be made in the past and excuses for many players that continually let us down like the ones you named

Problem is after every loss, coaches and players alike have said we need to make a statement and it just doesn’t happen, well once against North. It’s now pretty hard not to be cynical that they won’t or they’ll fail. This team has eroded a lot of trust across the first seven games of the season.

I’m the opposite, now is the time to make changes that have been too gutless to be made in the past and excuses for many players that continually let us down like the ones you named

I don’t really agree with your first paragraph but I absolutely agree with your second. This season presents an opportunity to make some adjustments and blood some new players in areas that haven’t seen new blood in a long time.

Personally, I think getting experience into one of our younger rucks (most likely Smith) is one of our biggest developmental priorities. Rucks can take seasons to fully adjust and may only have two or three seasons left in him. Unless we plan to make a big splash for a shiny new AFL ready ruck we need to get some games into a new ruck now.

We are already used to playing three tall forwards and our main third tall in McStay left two years ago. Perfect time to slot Henry in there and give him 10+ games this season and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back