Winter Beijing 2022 4th Feb to 22nd preview and general discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

ROC anthem such a pisstake!
My first thought was its the old Nescafe coffee ad music. ;)

I knew it was some classical Russian piece. Commentator said what piece from Tchaikovsky but missed its name.

I tend to get a bit pissed off the last day of the Olympics, not just because the carnival is over, but whoever is the broadcaster, shows a whole lot of highlight moments and you get some in the closing ceremony, and you think, why didn't the broadcaster show that moment or that event when it was on, or why didn't i make an effort to see that.

2026 will be a real test of a regional games. Milan to Cortina d'Ampezzo is about 400 kms by road and there are 2 other clusters closer to Cortina up in the mountains, and the closing ceremony wont be in Milan, but in the famous Verona amphitheatre and plaza/square built 2000 years ago.

China must surely be one of the least diverse nations in the world. Anywhere else, you see mixed races, nationalities, religions - everything we see of China appears to be solely one race of people.

Does diversity exist there (and is just not ever shown, unlike say here in Aus where every ad and show highlights the diversity) or are they too walled off/communist/nationalistic for it to really occur?

Could you imagine a montage of Australians like that, where only white anglo-saxon ones were shown for 2 minutes straight?

China must surely be one of the least diverse nations in the world. Anywhere else, you see mixed races, nationalities, religions - everything we see of China appears to be solely one race of people.

Does diversity exist there (and is just not ever shown, unlike say here in Aus where every ad and show highlights the diversity) or are they too walled off/communist/nationalistic for it to really occur?

Could you imagine a montage of Australians like that, where only white anglo-saxon ones were shown for 2 minutes straight?
So what if there is no diversity. They are an exporter of people not an immigrant nation. Covid meant nobody travelled there. Japan wasn't much different.

If the democratic republic of Congo hosted the Olympics, with a population of 90 million people, during Covid limited travel restrictions, all you would see is black faces. They too are exporters of people, not an immigrant nation. Does that mean they lack diversity if all you saw was tens of thousands of black faces??

I need to hear him say thirteeeeeeeeeen to be convinced.
Thanks for rhe work you put in REH.
Much appreciated.
Have a great footy season everyone.

Tiggers, you are going down in round one. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic games, whilst I don't feel we need to go back to China any time soon as the conditions were terrible (snow/lack of so it was as icey as can be), do feel they put on a great games.

Diversity is only a concept that is cared about in the West.

The Ice Hockey gold medal like the downhill probably are the blue riband events of the winter games.

It means 25 Finnish players go home with a gold medal and 26 individual Finns have a gold medal not just the 2 shown in the medal tally.

If you do an adjusted medal tally for individual golds, Germany go from 11 to 14.

Norway I have to spend some time to do that calculation.
Hard to take the hockey seriously with no NHL players. Any “real” tournament sees Canada start at about $1.05 favourite……….

Hard to take the hockey seriously with no NHL players. Any “real” tournament sees Canada start at about $1.05 favourite……….
True, but the Russian league is considered the 2nd best in the world and they have a shitload more depth than the Finnish.

So what’s your take on football or soccer at the summer games? Least ice ho key has a decent amount of top players

So what’s your take on football or soccer at the summer games? Least ice ho key has a decent amount of top players
Don’t watch it. World Cup is the elite championship for football, as is Wimbledon for tennis and The Masters for golf………

Would have been nice to have seen the Canadian juggernaut roll out a top line of Huberdeau, McDavid and Mackinnon…… maybe next time (I hope).

Don’t watch it. World Cup is the elite championship for football, as is Wimbledon for tennis and The Masters for golf………

Would have been nice to have seen the Canadian juggernaut roll out a top line of Huberdeau, McDavid and Mackinnon…… maybe next time (I hope).
The NHL twice made accomodation for the players to be released, but when 50 games were postponed they pulled out.

They will be released for 2026, was part of their CBA negotiations, provided there's no Covid still ******* up the world by then.

Some stuff from Twitter

FMFtAroaMAASSD4

The Dancing bit of Italy's presentation was boring but not this film

From around the world

This Canadian short track skater has won 4 golds and 6 medals in total at 5 Olympics.

The frozen dick solution

Remove this Banner Ad

Back