C'wealth Birmingham 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome post.

Loved watching many of the names mentioned (the ones I'm old enough to see). Paul Ereng might have been my fav. Best race was when he won the world indoor from almost last place. Still the greatest kick I've ever seen.

Thanks for the compliment and the video. I reckon that is only the 3rd or 4th time I have seen video of that 1989 indoor WR run. Saw it on one of the general sports stations in Canada before I returned home after 12 months working there. A mate sent me the link 12 or 18 months after it was put up and I remember looking at it after Rudisha's gold in London to compare their bursts.

Don't forget the women too (the non eastern bloc ones). Hassiba Boulmerka was my favourite and an absolute legend. Pretty sure I recall reading how she had to dodge the extremists throwing rocks at her when she was out training.

Agree that I have missed the women, but that's partly because when I grew up as a kid Oz had some heroes I could read, see, hear being interviewed about in those 2 races, and the women stars were in the sprints, Marjorie Jackson, Betty Cuthbert, Raelene Boyle, Shirley Strickland, etc.

And in the 1980's as I watched the African males started coming thru but the women lagged 20-25 years behind and the drug fuelled East Europeans dominated these 2 events so they didn't grab my attention as much.

Still remember the extraordinary Olympic final and whole season in 2008 by 19 year Kenyan Pamela Jelimo getting so close to Jarmila Kratochvílová's drug fuelled 800m record from 1983 a couple of times and another Kenyan Faith Kipyegon is great in the 1500m, back to back Olympic golds in Rio and Tokyo and 2017 and recently 2022 Eugene World Champ

I guess its only been recently that the African women have had longevity in the events so that you get lots of seasons of dominance or being top 3 for a long time.

Agree it's great that Aussies are competitive and also agree that many people have missed the significance of Hoare running such a fast time in a major final rather than behind pacemakers at a Diamond League. That said let's not get ahead of ourselves, was a great result but when we win over 800 or 1500 at the Olympics or get closer to the WR is when I'll get really excited.

Haha I was waiting for Bruce to say, you've joined the club, now do what Herb did, and win in Paris 2 years after Birmingham. Now that would really be something spppppppppppppppecial.

I agree we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves but its dam exciting to know we have someone who can/has a kick to go with the best of them. Stewart McSweyn had a great season in 2021, ran some fast times in the Diamond League meets, and was a little disappointing in Tokyo, but I didn't expect a win as he doesn't possess a strong kick. He has speed, but not great acceleration, so he winds up rather than bursts thru. Ollie has shown he has enough of a kick to match with the fastest in the world.

World Champs in Budapest next year will tell us a lot about Ollie's chances in Paris.

I'm not sure Peter Bol will win at an Olympics or World Champs. Can medal but don't think he can win. You have to be regularly running 1.43s and the odd 1.42 i reckon, to have a chance to out kick the field to win. Bol has run only 3 or 4 x 1.44s in his career, never under 1.44. So for him to win he would need a bit of luck and a slowish final.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Peter Bol will win at an Olympics or World Champs. Can medal but don't think he can win. You have to be regularly running 1.43s and the odd 1.42 i reckon, to have a chance to out kick the field to win. Bol has run only 3 or 4 x 1.44s in his career, never under 1.44. So for him to win he would need a bit of luck and a slowish final.

Interestingly, Bol's training partner Joseph Deng might be even better;

Has good speed over 200 and 400, a number of runs in the 1:44's and still only 24 but has had some injury issues the last 12 months or so so we haven't gotten to see him at the major meets.

Has good speed over 200 and 400, a number of runs in the 1:44's and still only 24 but has had some injury issues the last 12 months or so so we haven't gotten to see him at the major meets.
Yeah I have been keeping a bit of an eye on Deng, but he hasn't run too often the last 18 months.

Every time he looks like he's rounding back into shape he gets injured again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oh India

180625.jpg

More than 50% of the Indians have the surname Singh, lol

More than 50% of the Indians have the surname Singh, lol
i asked my Indian mate about 20 years ago about why there are so many Singhs in India and especially Sikhs ie the turban wearers.

He said a Sikh Guru - ie leader of the Sikhs, about 300 years ago, imposed by law that males be called Singh as something to do with stopping caste prejudice. Wearing a turban is also about removing caste prejudice, as it symbolises everyone is equal.

He explained it to me in great depth but that's all I really remember what he told me.

i asked my Indian mate about 20 years ago about why there are so many Singhs in India and especially Sikhs ie the turban wearers.

He said a Sikh Guru - ie leader of the Sikhs, about 300 years ago, imposed by law that males be called Singh as something to do with stopping caste prejudice. Wearing a turban is also about removing caste prejudice, as it symbolises everyone is equal.

He explained it to me in great depth but that's all I really remember what he told me.

Very interesting

And the name of Kaur is the female equivalent.

WTG Team Oz - expected ENG to do better on home soil (and with that lottery funding).

Also kudos to NGR (record gold I think) & NZL, India also having a good one.

Watched most of the closing ceremony on 7+ last night.

These are some of the highlights for me

BBC's coverage of closing ceremony in full

Awesome post.

Loved watching many of the names mentioned (the ones I'm old enough to see). Paul Ereng might have been my fav. Best race was when he won the world indoor from almost last place. Still the greatest kick I've ever seen.

Don't forget the women too (the non eastern bloc ones). Hassiba Boulmerka was my favourite and an absolute legend. Pretty sure I recall reading how she had to dodge the extremists throwing rocks at her when she was out training.

Agree it's great that Aussies are competitive and also agree that many people have missed the significance of Hoare running such a fast time in a major final rather than behind pacemakers at a Diamond League. That said let's not get ahead of ourselves, was a great result but when we win over 800 or 1500 at the Olympics or get closer to the WR is when I'll get really excited.

This video popped up on the side as I was watching a closing ceremony video.

Ereng again shows what a great kick he has in this video of a Grand Prix meet a few months after the world indoors video you posted. Sits at the back of the pack as the pacemaker and Brazil's Barbosa get way out in front and when he kicks he leaves Coe in his wake. It was Barbosa who he beat passed with about 50m to go in your video. I haven't seen this since the highlights were shown in 1989.

And here is his gold medal win in 1988 - the unknown Kenyan with the big kick announces himself to the world. He went passed Barbosa again who ended up 6th.

He got 4th in Tokyo 1991 World Champs, but he didn't catch Barbosa this time who got silver behind another Kenyan, and Ereng in 1992, picked up an achilles injury, didn't get passed the SF in Barcelona and his career ends.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back