C'wealth Birmingham 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold in the Beach Volleyball! 20-18 in the final set, saving 3 match points!
Played against a team with Paul Burnett (in indoor volleyball) once and got pumped, not surprised he's come this far.

Fair game this men's gold medal match in the beach volleyball between Oz and Canada. Canada win first set, then Oz the second, and then in the third set it goes;

Canada had match point at 14-13 ( Canada's score first) then at 15-14, then Oz get match point at 15-16, 16-17, and 17-18

A video challenge at 18-18 and Oz go up 18-19 as ball is just out after a block shot. Then Canadian smashes the set up shot just wide and Oz wins the set 18-20

I gotta write something about Ollie Hoare's win and get some videos in here. AdelaideGT there are 4. If your computer can't handle it, get one with a faster processor.

I went to Adelaide Oval last night and was going to watch the aths in between plays if Port didn't do well as I was expecting and they delivered unfortunately. Bloody 7's app was down all night and I missed the race live but the game ended about 10 minutes after the scheduled start, looked up the result on the official games site and saw it and the time and I couldn't believe it.

As an old 800/1500m runner - not very good and didn't progess after first year at uni, this is something I thought I would never see - a white Aussie out sprinting Africans in a 1500m race. Ollie and the arrival of Peter Bol has seen me cheering on a fellow countrymen like I haven't thought possible for 30 years or more.

And you can tell Bruce is an 800/1500m man given his excitement about Bol in Tokyo and Ollie here. Bruce just idolises Herb Elliot.

The first Olympics I watched, was Montreal in 1976 after watching those great Bud Green Olympic doco series in the lead up and I was running 800 and 1500m in school sports and I watched in awe as Cuba's Alberto Juantorena won the 800m in a blistering last 100m sprint and Kiwi John Walker win the 1500m. I had read about Walker and seen him run in Oz on TV, but had never seen Juantorena before. At the time I didn't fully grasp the African nations boycotting Montreal to protest the All Blacks playing the Springboks and NZ not being banned from Montreal. The Africans then joined the west's boycott of Moscow in 1980 so I missed them there.

Then came the Brits Steve Ovett and Seb Coe battles over both 800m and 1500m and add Steve Cram and Brazilian Joaquim Cruz, and I though surely others will come along to join John Landy, Ron Clarke, Herb Elliot and Ralph Doubell.

But then came the African wave, the dark East Africans and the lighter North Africans have dominated these 2 events from the mid 1980's - Paul Ereng, William Tanui, Wilson Kipketer, David Rudisha and lots of other K's from Kenya etc in the 800m and Peter Rono, Noureddine Morceli, Bernard Lagat, Hicham El Guerrouj, Taoufik Makhlouf, Saïd Aouita, Noah Ngeny, and more K's from Kenya. And I gave up hope of seeing an Aussie being good enough to compete and win a medal let alone win a race in a big global final.

But the wheel has started turning again. and the last few years it looks like those of European heritage are able to win again. Norway's Ingerigtsen, Britain's Wightman and Kerr and US's Matthew Centrowitz for example.

Ollie's win is huge for Oz athletics and the fact it was in prime time on a Saturday night was another huge plus for the sport. If he had won at 4am in the morning the impact to the average sports fan and not athletics nut, wouldn't have been as big.

So these videos IMO, are worth putting in here for keepsakes and to look back in a few years. I got a bit emotional watching them all, probably made up for not seeing it live.

Bruce predicting Ollie would do well at start of the Games, video of the race and Bruce's, Tamsyn's and Richo's reactions as well as comments about Bruce going off by the BBC commentator.

Brum Drum today.

I gotta correct Bruce on a few things he said to explain where Ollie's run sits in historical context. He correctly says the Bannister vs Landy race in 1954 games in Vancouver was the Miracle Mile. It wasn't watched around the world on TV because most countries didn't have TV in 1954. Oz didn't have TV then, so it would have been the old newsreels at movie cinemas for most of the world. The race was shown live across the Americas, so Canada, USA, Mexico and the big nations of South America had TV ie Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela and Chile as well as Cuba had TV then and they got it live. It was held on a Saturday afternoon on 7th August and it was estimated that 100 million households tuned in, despite every one of those nations except Canada, not being in the Commonwealth.

Herb Elliot won the mile not 1500m in Cardiff in 1958. The Commonwealth Games didn't go metric until 1970 - so 100 yards, 220 yards, 440 yards, 880 yards, mile, 3 mile, 6 mile, 120 yard hurdles and 440 yard hurdles races before 1970.

Filbet Bayi's 1500m WR of 3.32.16 set in 1974 games in Auckland, when he beat John Walker that Bruce talks about, was the Comm Games record Ollie broke yesterday. 1500m at big championships are more about tactics than times, sometimes they are slow eg 3.50 won in Rio, but the 3.30.12 that Ollie ran is quicker than every Olympic final apart from last year in Tokyo, which was won in a 3.28 by Norway's Ingebrigtsen, and in this race, Ollie beat 2nd, 3rd and 4th from the Tokyo final who all ran a 3.29.xx last year.

At World Champs level, the only people who have run faster is when Hicham El Guerrouj ran a blistering 3.27 and Ngeny chased him in a 3.28 in Seville in 1999, in Doha in 2019 when yesterday's silver medallist Timothy Cheruiyot won in 3.29 and yesterday's bronze medallist Jake Wightman won in Eugene in 3.29 and 2nd (Ingerigtsen)and 3rd (Spain's Katir) also ran 3.29.

It gives you an idea of how significant this was and why Bruce and co are so enthusiastic about it. It was dam fast and a white Aussie out sprinted a couple of Africans. Hard to believe.

Ollie with Hame tonight.

With Richo after the race.

Last edited:
Brooke Buschkuehl off to a good start in the Long Jump.

And finally 7 crosses to the women's 1500m final.

Abbey Caldwell showing she did deserve a place in our team. Rare that Australia gets a medal in women's 1500m at international meets.

Well that was an interesting 1500m by the women. Muir was brilliant and Abby Caldwell pinched the bronze. Think her inexperience saw he get too far back. Came home like a train. Wonder what she could have done if she was closer wither 200m to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see Brooke Buschkuehl finally getting some coverage on main Ch7 channel.

Especially as she just improved and is now back in 2nd with one more jump to go.

2+ hours of cricket
10 or 15 minutes of athletics
and now netball

Why I hate team sports in the Comm Games

2+ hours of cricket
10 or 15 minutes of athletics
and now netball

Why I hate team sports in the Comm Games
There are streams of every sport available any time you want. So tired of hearing complaints about this issue when it's pretty much the only thing positive about FTA Olympics/Comm games coverage.

There are streams of every sport available any time you want. So tired of hearing complaints about this issue

I just think some of our individual athletes - often competing in very high standard competitions - deserve some publicity for a few minutes on the main channel rather than every minute of a team-sport game, since most get decent FTA coverage throughout every year.

7 could have easily wrapped up Brooke's LJ comp - where she won silver - with a few minutes of live coverage instead of having to show the warm-up and first few minutes of the netball.

Well it was a great Games & congrats to Birmingham for putting on such a good show.

Now hopefully I can attempt to return to a normal sleeping pattern for the first time in a month..

Would be nice if Peter had some luck in a big final. Olympics he had to do all the work because no one wanted to and now here no one wanted to do any of the work. It will go his way one day.

I gotta write something about Ollie Hoare's win and get some videos in here. AdelaideGT there are 4. If your computer can't handle it, get one with a faster processor.

I went to Adelaide Oval last night and was going to watch the aths in between plays if Port didn't do well as I was expecting and they delivered unfortunately. Bloody 7's app was down all night and I missed the race live but the game ended about 10 minutes after the scheduled start, looked up the result on the official games site and saw it and the time and I couldn't believe it.

As an old 800/1500m runner - not very good and didn't progess after first year at uni, this is something I thought I would never see - a white Aussie out sprinting Africans in a 1500m race. Ollie and the arrival of Peter Bol has seen me cheering on a fellow countrymen like I haven't thought possible for 30 years or more.

And you can tell Bruce is an 800/1500m man given his excitment about Bol in Tokyo and Ollie here. Bruce just idolises Herb Elliot.

My first Olympics, Montreal in 1976 after watching those great Bud Green Olympic doco series, I was running 800 and 1500m in school sports and I watched in awe as Cuba's Alberto Juantorena won the 800m in a blistering last 100m sprint and Kiwi John Walker the 1500m. I had read about Walker and seen him run in Oz on TV, but have never seen Juantorena before. At the time I didn't fully grasp the African nations boycotting Montreal to protest the All Blacks playing the Springboks and NZ not being banned from Montreal. The Africans then joined the wests boycott of Moscow in 1980.

Then came the Brits Steve Ovett and Seb Coe battles over both 800m and 1500m and add Steve Cram and Brazilian Joaquim Cruz, and I though surely others will come along to join John Landy, Ron Clarke, Herb Elliot and Ralph Doubell.

But then came the African wave, the dark East Africans and the lighter North Africans have dominated these 2 events from the mid 1980's - Paul Erang, William Tanui, Wilson Kipketer, David Rudisha and lots of other K's from Kenya etc in the 800m and Peter Rono, Noureddine Morceli, Bernard Lagat, Hicham El Guerrouj, Taoufik Makhlouf, Saïd Aouita, Noah Ngeny, and more K's from Kenya. And i gave up hope of seeing an Aussie being good enough to compete and win a medal let alone a race in a big global final.

But the wheel has started turning again and the last few years and looks like those of European heritage and able to win again. Norway's Ingerigtsen, Britain's Wightman and Kerr and US's Matthew Centrowitz

Ollie's win is huge for Oz athletics and the fact it was in prime time on a Saturday night was another huge plus for the sport. If he had won at 4am in the morning the impact to the average sports fan and not athletics nut, wouldn't have been as big.

So these videos IMO, are worth putting in here for keepsakes and to look back in a few years. I got a bit emotional watching them all, probably made up for not seeing it live.

Bruce predicting he would do well at start of the Games, video of the race and Bruce's, Tamsyn's and Richo's recations as well as comments about Bruce going off by the BBC commentator.

Brum Drum today.

I gotta correct Bruce on a few things he said to explain where Ollie's run sits in historical context. He correctly says the Bannister vs Landy race in 1954 games in Vancouver was the Miracle Mile. It wasn't watched around the world on TV because most countries didn't have TV in 1954. Oz didn't have TV then, so it would have been the old newsreels at movie cinemas for most of the world. The race was shown live across the Americas, so Canada, USA, Mexico and the big nations of South America had TV ie Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela and Chile as well as Cuba had TV then and they got it live. It was held on a Saturday afternoon on 7th August and it was estimated at the 100 million households tuned in despite every one of those nations except Canada, not being in the Commonwealth.

Herb Elliot won the mile not 1500m in Cardiff in 1958. The Commonwealth Games didn't go metric until 1970 - so 100 yards, 220 yards, 440 yards, 880 yards, mile, 3 mile, 6 mile, 120 yard hurdles and 440 yard hurdles races before 1970.

Filbet Bayi's 1500m WR of 3.32.16 set in 1974 games in Auckland, when he beat John Walker that Bruce talks about, was the Comm Games record Ollie broke yesterday. 1500m at big championships are more about tactics than times, sometimes they are slow eg 3.50 won in Rio, but the 3.30.12 that Ollie ran is quicker than every Olympic final apart from last year in Tokyo won in a 3.28 by Norway's Ingebrigtsen, and in this race,Ollie beat 2nd, 3rd and 4th from the Tokyo final who all ran a 3.29.xx last year.

At World Champs level, the only people who have run faster is when Hicham El Guerrouj ran a blistering 3.27 and Ngeny a 3.28 in Seville in 1999, in Doha in 2019 yesterday's silver medalist Timothy Cheruiyot won in 3.29 and yesterday's bronze medallist Jake Wightman won in Eugene in 3.29 and 2nd (Ingerigtsen)and 3rd (Spain's Katir) aslo ran 3.29.

If gives you an idea of how significant this was and why Bruce and co are so enthusiastic about it. It was dam fast and a white Aussie out sprinted a couple of Africans. Hard to believe.

Ollie with Hame tonight.

With Richo after the race

Awesome post.

Loved watching many of the names mentioned (the ones I'm old enough to see). Paul Ereng might have been my fav. Best race was when he won the world indoor from almost last place. Still the greatest kick I've ever seen.

Don't forget the women too (the non eastern bloc ones). Hassiba Boulmerka was my favourite and an absolute legend. Pretty sure I recall reading how she had to dodge the extremists throwing rocks at her when she was out training.

Agree it's great that Aussies are competitive and also agree that many people have missed the significance of Hoare running such a fast time in a major final rather than behind pacemakers at a Diamond League. That said let's not get ahead of ourselves, was a great result but when we win over 800 or 1500 at the Olympics or get closer to the WR is when I'll get really excited.

Am I incorrect in saying that England can't pass us on the medal tally now?
On gold medal total, no as they are 11 behind 66 v 55. 12 finals Monday in Birmingham and no England team in men's hockey and only 3 English players in final of 5 Badminton finals.

In terms of total medals, they could top Aussies as gap is only 5, 164 v 159.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back