C'wealth Birmingham 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Our men need to get some hints from the ladies about road race tactics. Cause at the moment we are no chance barring a miracle. Looks like we didn't have much of a plan except "lets see how it pans out".

It's not even a breakaway really. Basically the field split in half and we only had one man on the right side. And with so much talent up front and such a short race, they ain't coming back.
Seriously? We had the three of the fastest ladies in the race and shut down everything. Massively different tactics. If Ewan were racing we'd have the same tactics as the women but he isn't.

Ideally we'd have had Scotson in the move but c'mon man.

Seriously? We had the three of the fastest ladies in the race and shut down everything. Massively different tactics. If Ewan were racing we'd have the same tactics as the women but he isn't.

Ideally we'd have had Scotson in the move but c'mon man.
Yeah I know I'm being too harsh. But road racing is a tough game and we still have plenty of experience in the squad.

With Ewen out I'm pretty sure they didn't go in with much of a plan and it shows. They might have expected the usual jostle in the first 30ks followed by a small breakaway with an Aussie included as a policeman which would get out to a few minutes and gradually get reeled in. But it's a flat and short course and something different happened with some of the better riders forcing a selection early.

Face it we have been pantsed. Unless Scotson can bridge somehow and give us 2 in the group. But with less than 100km to go it's not looking likely.

Of course if Plapp somehow does the impossible, I'll eat humble pie. But I can't see 3 poms and Thomas and Impey letting him time trial off the front.

Yeah I know I'm being too harsh. But road racing is a tough game and we still have plenty of experience in the squad.

With Ewen out I'm pretty sure they didn't go in with much of a plan and it shows. They might have expected the usual jostle in the first 30ks followed by a small breakaway with an Aussie included as a policeman which would get out to a few minutes and gradually get reeled in. But it's a flat and short course and something different happened with some of the better riders forcing a selection early.

Face it we have been pantsed. Unless Scotson can bridge somehow and give us 2 in the group. But with less than 100km to go it's not looking likely.

Of course if Plapp somehow does the impossible, I'll eat humble pie. But I can't see 3 poms and Thomas and Impey letting him time trial off the front.
We've been planning for weeks to be one of two lead out trains and on the eve of the race we lose our sprinter.

Tactically we were fine. Do you know how hard it is to get the man you want in the break? We got someone there and whilst yes, we would have preferred it to be Scotson, we got someone there.

We've been planning for weeks to be one of two lead out trains and on the eve of the race we lose our sprinter.

Tactically we were fine. Do you know how hard it is to get the man you want in the break? We got someone there and whilst yes, we would have preferred it to be Scotson, we got someone there.
It's not a break. Guys like Thomas and Impey don't go in breaks. It's the selection and we missed it.

It's not a break. Guys like Thomas and Impey don't go in breaks. It's the selection and we missed it.
Darryl Impey? Do you even watch road cycling? The biggest win of his career came from a breakaway.

And we didn't miss it. Luke Plapp is right there.

Darryl Impey? Do you even watch road cycling? The biggest win of his career came from a breakaway.

And we didn't miss it. Luke Plapp is right there.
This isn't a Grand Tour. Impey is one of the class riders in the field.

Look obviously my first comment was made in jest, suggesting we had to take a lesson in tactics from our womens team who, as you rightly pointed out, clearly had a massive class advantage over the field. But I can't believe you think we are in a good or even fair position here. Plapp is racing against 2 or 3 (in Englands case) riders from other teams. Even with Ewen and Dennis out we had one of the strongest squads.

This isn't a Grand Tour. Impey is one of the class riders in the field.

Look obviously my first comment was made in jest, suggesting we had to take a lesson in tactics from our womens team who, as you rightly pointed out, clearly had a massive class advantage over the field. But I can't believe you think we are in a good or even fair position here. Plapp is racing against 2 or 3 (in Englands case) riders from other teams. Even with Ewen and Dennis out we had one of the strongest squads.
Of course Impey is quality. He's probably the favourite of this break.

Our squad had one chance at winning this. Getting at least one, hopefully two or 3 out the front and we got one. It wasn't bad tactically, it's just the hand that was dealt.

Thomas will almost certainly attack and if Plapp gets on the wheel there he should beat Thomas in a sprint finish. Swift is the fastest there, so I don't see the English attacking but will mark every move. He can medal from here despite the quality of the group.

Of course Impey is quality. He's probably the favourite of this break.

Our squad had one chance at winning this. Getting at least one, hopefully two or 3 out the front and we got one. It wasn't bad tactically, it's just the hand that was dealt.

Thomas will almost certainly attack and if Plapp gets on the wheel there he should beat Thomas in a sprint finish. Swift is the fastest there, so I don't see the English attacking but will mark every move. He can medal from here despite the quality of the group.
Certainly you would have to think his best tactic would be to shadow Thomas or Impey. The size and quality of the break or selection or whatever we call it could actually work to his favour if he's smart. Not sure he has the tactical nous though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Death, taxes and the aussie hockey teams folding in big games. Unless we snag a lucky penalty corner we're done.
I'd say bring back Ric Charlesworth as hockeyroos coach but he's busy building highrise flats down the road from me.

Lols. Pathetic. Maybe if they stopped harping on about how great they are at defending, and learnt how to actually score goals, they might still be a chance. But this game looked over 10 mins in, it’s been all England.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back