Winter Beijing 2022 4th Feb to 22nd preview and general discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It was American money that made her the athlete she is, not Chinese money

Yep, but how many times have the Americans benefitted from athletes changing allegiances to represent them?

Haven’t heard them complain about the gold they got in monobob from Kaillie Humphries, who is Canadian.

Nor have I heard them complain about the Americans competing for Israel.

Yep, but how many times have the Americans benefitted from athletes changing allegiances to represent them?

Haven’t heard them complain about the gold they got in monobob from Kaillie Humphries, who is Canadian.

Indeed, but it sticks in my craw that it's the Chinese in this case.

Good question.
If war broke out between the US and China and wonder who's side she would be on?
It depends. She mentioned that she's very much American while she's living there, and Chinese when in China.

Edit

Last edited:
Why?

They have a shitload more snow and ice than us, so they should be above us regularly at the winter olympics.

And don't tell about the population difference. Norway and New Zealand have basically the same population.

The NZ ski season is June to October like ours. I mean they have higher mountain peaks so they may get a bit more snow in those regions, but not sure that equates to they should be dominating us in the winter Olympics.....

We get more average snow then they do in Switzerland, should we be dominating Switzerland in the winter Olympics then?

She's annoying and overly critical
Just watched the last 4 teams in freeskate.
She tells us how subtle the dancers are and in harmony with light and shade of music whilst talking over this subtle music and skating
Ffs.
I'm at B.T listening levels of angst trying not to break telly.
Just stfu Belinda. STOP TALKING!

Also, thought that Russizn pair shoulda won. They were awesome!

Last edited:

I think the difference is that Humphries only moved because of ongoing Harassment claims between her and the Canadian Bobsleigh Federation. Gu on the other hand had no such gripes towards the American ski federation and was nurtured to the nth degree... she moved purely for $$$$ reasons. As for Americans competing for Israel... these are always leftovers who are not good enough to make the American team in the first place... hardly medal contenders.

I think the difference is that Humphries only moved because of ongoing Harassment claims between her and the Canadian Bobsleigh Federation. Gu on the other hand had no such gripes towards the American ski federation and was nurtured to the nth degree... she moved purely for $$$$ reasons. As for Americans competing for Israel... these are always leftovers who are not good enough to make the American team in the first place... hardly medal contenders.

Ok, the yanks are happy to accept quality Kenyan runners, like Paul Chelimo. There’s a myriad of examples.

Athletes have moved to represent the US for financial opportunities. Reality is that China now is reaching a stage where they can offer similar opportunities and the Americans don’t like it.

I’m not taking a pro China stance, just pointing out America’s rank hypocrisy.

Ok, the yanks are happy to accept quality Kenyan runners, like Paul Chelimo. There’s a myriad of examples.

Athletes have moved to represent the US for financial opportunities. Reality is that China now is reaching a stage where they can offer similar opportunities and the Americans don’t like it.

I’m not taking a pro China stance, just pointing out America’s rank hypocrisy.
I think it's more a 'quality of life' issue for people (especially those from less developed nations) like chelimo who move to America, rather than financial opportunities. Chelimo lives in America, his wife lives in America, his children will grow up in America. Does anyone seriously expect Gu to spend any time in China apart from sponsorship appearances... doubt it. It's a pure money grab.

The NZ ski season is June to October like ours. I mean they have higher mountain peaks so they may get a bit more snow in those regions, but not sure that equates to they should be dominating us in the winter Olympics.....

We get more average snow then they do in Switzerland, should we be dominating Switzerland in the winter Olympics then?
I think if you dig a bit deeper, you will find that Australia gets more snow by area, but not by depth and total snow.

Which place is more likely to produce a larger amount of ski resorts and participants, a place where 10,000 sq km gets an average of 50cm of snow or one where 1,000 sq km gets an average of 5m of snow? That is the same total cubic metres of snow.

Then there is the practical issue of how close is the snow to major population centres in Switzerland compared to Oz and NZ. As well as basic infrastructure.

Whilst the official NZ season might end in October they have areas that gets snow way past October. How accessible and practical that would be for NZ Olympians to use, I have no idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They need to standardise the bob sleds if it's going to be a proper competition.
Is it about the drivers and teams or the engineers and amount of money?
Rubbish.
Have 24 olympic sleds ...all made in Germany. Whatever....just make it a level playing field.
Monobobs are standardised made by one company. But it's a new event so that might change.

Its a bit like track cycling. USA gets NASA scientists to do some work for their team, Oz gets universities and the odd bike manufacturer to make bikes just for the Olympic team. the same in Britain. I'm sure the Italians, French, Germans, Belgians, Dutch etc have a similar type of set up.

On DW News' english news programs on ABC News after about 1am, just before the Olympics, I saw their stories on the German Luge and Bobsleigh programs.

BMW has been designing and building their sleds for about a decade and they went to Beijing and filmed runs of the course in 2020 and have built a simulator, so all their guys can practice on the simulator to make up for China being closed and no access to the course.

I don't think the IOC would overrule the different federations about technology. I doubt the federations will stop advances being made to improve their sport.

Cycling hasn't, but sailing have. But sailing has many events outside the Olympics for competitors to make money where there are no technology caps, eg America's Cup racing, Round the World yacht races, Sydney to Hobart etc.

You have to give it to Canada, for a country where majority of their citizens live in igloos, they sure do make their presence felt at both Olympics. A bit of frost bite ain't deterring them from enjoying tennis and the like.
And if athletes from Florida can win gold at winter olympics, you just know Australia isn't trying hard enough!

Strangely enough, the lack of crowds didn’t really detract from Tokyo in my viewing experience. But I have definitely noticed it more in Beijing, maybe the craziness of winter sports crowds are more pivotal.
Come on, you are missing the cow bells. ;)

Awesome achievement by the Finns! and beating their biggest rival in winning Gold doesn't get any better!
The Miracle on Ice game was effectively the semi final game in 1980. The Yanks had to then beat the Finns to win the gold.

in 1980 the finals was a pool of 4 teams, not a knock out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back