Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

I doubt you will ever post anything positive about Hayward no matter what he does

I have inthe past, most recently I said I could see him as a good defender.

So, given a choice between Parker and Hayward kicking for the winning goal after the siren who would you choose?

I think the Hayward fixation is one of the most baffling things on this board.
I'm not in the "trade Hayward" camp, he clearly has talent and is capable of hard work, getting involved.

But it's also true that he is inconsistent. There are stretches of games where he goes quiet, can't kick straight, doesn't seem to be running with anyone in particular etc. He doesn't provide the outlet option as much as some suggest. This is going back years.

He can then have a fair impact on a game, across the whole game and you think "awesome, let's see more of that", but then there'll be another quiet stretch. Or he'll go missing for a fair chunk of the game, but pop up and do something good, which people will use to vindicate the quiet times.

Now, I wasn't actually saying he needed to be dropped last week, but when he needs the treatment that others will readily get, he escapes it. That said, I think he should be in the first few that are in line when Parker, Mills, Rampe return.

Years ago in a quiet stretch, he got dropped (I did say years ago), then came back and was good for a while. Then another quiet stretch, beyond what is reasonable, before a patch of good form. I wouldn't have said he's been in good form this year, he's popped up particularly in 2nd halves, often when the game is on our terms (yes, yes the HTB tackle was good and Q1 vs the Dons). But yes it is hard to justify dropping someone who is kicking multiple goals, even if I think that's overstating his impact (relative to what someone else could do).

Still maintain my point about him being in the first few, along with Campbell, JJ, Wicks (depending on form), even Lloyd (though he seems to be getting into the wing role now), that should be in line when players return.

Last edited:
I think the Hayward fixation is one of the most baffling things on this board.
I use to be on RWO forum and there was a contributor there who was fixated on how bad Rowie was. It was bordering on pathological. I suspect they even created another account to agree with there opinion. In the end I got so sick of them hence how I ended up here.

The obsession with (supposedly imo) how bad Hayward is, is approaching the same level. I think we should all just agree to disagree and move on, given I feel there's really not much more to be said on the topic. The ultimate arbiters (Longmire and co) have clearly spoken and at the end of the day, it's only their opinion that counts.

Last edited:
I'm not Haywards biggest fan. He can bring in a good performance but my issues with him are 2 fold.

-Pressure is often poor. I don't care if he kicks goals, I care if he puts on pressure. He doesn't apply enough pressure for my liking.
-inconsistent form. He can be hot or cold, the issue is when he is cold he is non-existent

I get why people are fans of his but for me I can't back him until he fixes one of those aspects

I'm not in the "trade Hayward" camp, he clearly has talent and is capable of hard work, getting involved.

But it's also true that he is inconsistent. There are stretches of games where he goes quiet, can't kick straight, doesn't seem to be running with anyone in particular etc. He doesn't provide the outlet option as much as some suggest. This is going back years.

He can then have a fair impact on a game, across the whole game and you think "awesome, let's see more of that", but then there'll be another quiet stretch. Or he'll go missing for a fair chunk of the game, but pop up and do something good, which people will use to vindicate the quiet times.

Now, I wasn't actually saying he needed to be dropped last week, but when he needs the treatment that others will readily get, he escapes it. That said, I think he should be in the first few that are in line when Parker, Mills, Rampe return.

Years ago in a quiet stretch, he got dropped (I did say years ago), then came back and was good for a while. Then another quiet stretch, beyond what is reasonable, before a patch of good form. I wouldn't have said he's been in good form this year, he's popped up particularly in 2nd halves, often when the game is on our terms (yes, yes the HTB tackle was good and Q1 vs the Dons). But yes it is hard to justify dropping someone who is kicking multiple goals, even if I think that's overstating his impact (relative to what someone else could do).

Still maintain my point about him being in the first few, along with Campbell, JJ, Wicks (depending on form), even Lloyd (though he seems to be getting into the wing role now), that should be in line when players return.
It's vindicated in patches of domination because that is when he is called upon. His role is completely dependant on the team playing well up the ground, and that is completely acceptable and required in a team that trusts itself to contend. You can stick the god's gift of a medium half forward in there and you'll still get the exact same perceived inconsistency. We saw it with Rohan and even see it with our other smaller forwards, it's never ending. It's quite a simple equation but people are just not getting it.

His only knock is his accuracy.

It's vindicated in patches of domination because that is when he is called upon. His role is completely dependant on the team playing well up the ground, and that is completely acceptable and required in a team that trusts itself to contend. You can stick the god's gift of a medium half forward in there and you'll still get the exact same perceived inconsistency. We saw it with Rohan and even see it with our other smaller forwards, it's never ending. It's quite a simple equation but people are just not getting it.

Heeney 2022 vs Heeney 2021 and 2023. Medium half forward with all the talent in the world still had what some would consider bad or up and down seasons

Lockdown small defender, lockdown KPD, medium forward and small forward are the hardest positions in football, imo. Particularly when the game isn't on your terms

We've made finals the last 3 years, with some decent streaks in those times, playing some very good footy. It's not like we've been awful (comparatively) and Hayward is just a victim of that.

As I said, people talk about his running and hard work to be an outlet. You see it sometimes, but it seems to be overstated. Even in games where we're not doing well, you would expect to see hard running, pressure etc from someone like Hayward (moreso than the talls).

In the end, and this is where I was at last week when his place in the team was questioned - it doesn't matter if some of us think he could or should be out of team at times, he won't be, no matter what form he seems to be in.

We've made finals the last 3 years, with some decent streaks in those times, playing some very good footy. It's not like we've been awful (comparatively) and Hayward is just a victim of that.

As I said, people talk about his running and hard work to be an outlet. You see it sometimes, but it seems to be overstated. Even in games where we're not doing well, you would expect to see hard running, pressure etc from someone like Hayward (moreso than the talls).

In the end, and this is where I was at last week when his place in the team was questioned - it doesn't matter if some of us think he could or should be out of team at times, he won't be, no matter what form he seems to be in.
I've rarely noticed him not busting a gut even in periods of not finding the ball. Only in the pies game of all games I noticed some of his efforts looked tired.

I think he's also a victim of our mids making it hard for him - more so previous years than this year but it was almost like every kick was made difficult for him. The amount of times he was in clear space and the kick went to his feet or was forced to accelerate to take a sliding mark or contested mark was ludicrous at one stage.

I think we just need to appreciate him for what he is and not focus on the stat sheet too much. He pulls through when we need him to albeit kicking accuracy at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've rarely noticed him not busting a gut even in periods of not finding the ball. Only in the pies game of all games I noticed some of his efforts looked tired.

I think he's also a victim of our mids making it hard for him - more so previous years than this year but it was almost like every kick was made difficult for him. The amount of times he was in clear space and the kick went to his feet or was forced to accelerate to take a sliding mark or contested mark was ludicrous at one stage.

I think we just need to appreciate him for what he is and not focus on the stat sheet too much. He pulls through when we need him to albeit kicking accuracy at times.
Who says we are just looking at the stats sheet? I've barely brought any stats up, I'm going off what I'm observing (though you can use tackles, possession maps, pressure acts to indicate how a player was working around the ground to get involved, how hard they were working to impact against the opposition).

I've observed him dropping and fumbling marks when he's out in front, not under much pressure. It's not just his wayward kicking that has frustrated people. It's not just poor delivery.

I feel like I'm stuck between the two extreme camps of "Hayward is great" (he can be) vs "Trade Bait" (only if we have to lose someone), but it makes me sound like I think the guy is useless when people misrepresent the frustration some of us have.

Last edited:
Id rather have Hayward than lose him , but something has to give as we sign others to long term deals , simple as that
This is where I'm at with him in regards to team selection as well. If he's in fine, but if he has to go make way to keep say Parker, Wicks, Fox, Lloyd and Jordon in the team, all of whom I think are better players/more important to the team, then so be it.

Geez you guys can be flogs sometimes. Hayward has kicked 9 goals in 5 games and is currently ‘elite’ level for marks per game. He can clunk well overhead, and is a great foil for McDonald / Amartey. I bet he kicks a bag now on Sunday
You don't get to call people flogs for having opinions you don't agree with.

Hayward hater signing in.

If it is true he's in the top 10 paid players at the club, we really should trade him asap. He's simply not worth that much. If we gave him a significant pay cut then sure, let him be on our interchange.

Hayward has not always been consistent but I still feel he has got the attributes to be a useful player.

With the way the game is going. It is useful to have a quick forward, with good endurance, a 1 on 1 marking threat and can apply a bit of forward pressure. He is even a decent field kick.

So I have always been upbeat about his talent. But he has not always had consistent high level performances. And I don't know if we have found the way to get the best out of him. I had always hoped he would be more dangerous getting behind defenders with his speed like Charlie Cameron. And a better 1 on 1 marking target with his leap, pace and movement.

Last edited:

If it is true he's in the top 10 paid players at the club, we really should trade him asap. He's simply not worth that much. If we gave him a significant pay cut then sure, let him be on our interchange.
None of us inc the two of us are haters. A few of us are realists about Will. At best as a forward he is a 16-28 player on our list. I still reckon he is best placed as a defender.

I would be shocked if he is in our top 10 paid players .

Is this related to talk of him being an RFA?

Just because someone is earning a lot in one particular year, doesn't mean we've been paying them that all along or will in the future.

I don't think Hayward would consistently be among our top earners, but he might be up there this year because of back ending.

Look, I hate mentioning or even contemplating a Hawthorn existence as much as the next person, but the lengths some of you have gone in the last few pages to avoid the thread title is outstanding! Well played

To be fair we were sort of debating whether Hayward should be the sub or not.

Indeed. An internet forum with rules that include posting content that is abusive and/or likely to offend.

Play the ball, not the man.
With all due respect,

You’ve got a group of trolls here baying for trade blood of a player who has, in the clubs wisdom (and IP - none of which is public) has consistently rated him as best 22 all season.

Who is playing the man harder? You or me?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back