Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

He would be wasted in club not in contention. He’d barely touch the ball without a big role change. Waste of their money and his time/talents.
Yeah he's definitely more a cream than a cake kind of player. Would be a really good get for a top 6 side without a decent medium sized forward.

wouldnt miss him at all if he left

medium tall fwd is the hardest role to make work, fritsch really is the only one that delivers and its not a critical role
They make an interesting comparison. For example, this year they average (per game):

Fritsch - 3 Marks, 1.6 Tackles, and 2.8 Goals
Hayward - 5.2 Marks, 3 Tackles, and 1.4 Goals

They have very different roles as Fritsch stays in the F50 as a designated goal-kicker, while Hayward roams up and down to provide the outlet from our D50.

And just for giggles, a guy who I would LOVE to have had playing for us...
Elliott - 4.4 Marks, 1.8 Tackles, and 2.0 Goals.

Six clubs chasing Will according to Twoomey on 'Getable'. "He is hot property. More bites than shark week".
"I don't think he'd want to go to a club that's not in contention, If he does leave the Swans."

Clearly afl professionals value him more than many big footy posters.
Let him walk. We shouldn't under any circumstances match offers. He can sign up with us out of loyalty. Pay him minimum wage. He can get his extra money with his energy drink business he has going with Florent.

Yeah he's definitely more a cream than a cake kind of player. Would be a really good get for a top 6 side without a decent medium sized forward.

and that would be us if we lose hayward ... to be honest, i think we'd still be better than top six, but i think we'd miss hayward's role, he does a lot of work off the ball and he's unfairly vilified

and that would be us if we lose hayward ... to be honest, i think we'd still be better than top six, but i think we'd miss hayward's role, he does a lot of work off the ball and he's unfairly vilified
I completely agree. Especially if Heeney's move to the midfield is permanent (as I hope it will be)

Let him walk. We shouldn't under any circumstances match offers. He can sign up with us out of loyalty. Pay him minimum wage. He can get his extra money with his energy drink business he has going with Florent.
If clubs come at him with crazy money, of course I would say let him walk. Same goes for any player. But I get the sense that some on here think he's only worth a bag of chips and maybe, a can of coke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting that people are bringing up Rohan because despite his deficiencies his game would work really well with our current gameplan. Morso than when he left the club.
Likewise Hayward, whilst not the same player as Rohan, also suits our current gameplan. I wouldn't want him to go but it depends if it's silly money other clubs are offering. Unfortunately we have a lot of good young players whose contracts will only become more expensive as time goes by that we also need to balance out.
It all comes down to the list management being able to get players to buy into the group we have here, if they can't get players to accept less than they might get elsewhere (not to an extreme amount), then we will just be dismantled and potentially lose the chance at one or even more flags.

What has he done to hurt you so much? Every post is a dagger thrown at Will.

I could write an essay about what shits me about him, but it's mostly because I'm still irritated at him for single-handedly losing games last year and the fact that he has so many defenders on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back