Player Watch #7 Harry Cunningham

Remove this Banner Ad

xPfwLtlb.png

Harry Cunningham

Player Profile

Harry Cunningham is one of the quickest players at the Sydney Swans, is clean by hand and foot and can play in defence, on a wing and in the forward line. The 2012 draftee was in blistering form over the opening seven rounds of the 2019 campaign, before injury limited him to just two games over the remainder of the season, so expect him to be hungry for a comeback 2020 year. Draft history: 2012 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 93; 2012 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 107

Harry Cunningham

DOB: 06 December 1993
DEBUT: 2012
DRAFT: 2012
RECRUITED FROM: Turvey Park (NSW)/NSW-ACT U18/Wagga (NSW)

Last edited:

If Harry does get Toby Greene this week, he’s THE most pivotal player in the AFL this week.

Unfortunately I think the writing is on the wall for Harry this season. With the amount of competition for spots. The club has already shown they're not afraid to keep him out of the team when he struggled for a spot in the '22 best 22. Now looks like he's on a modified program so a shorter preseason to get him going and I think he's expendable. Not every best 22 player is going to make the team this year and I think Harry is one of the unlucky ones.

Unfortunately I think the writing is on the wall for Harry this season. With the amount of competition for spots. The club has already shown they're not afraid to keep him out of the team when he struggled for a spot in the '22 best 22. Now looks like he's on a modified program so a shorter preseason to get him going and I think he's expendable. Not every best 22 player is going to make the team this year and I think Harry is one of the unlucky ones.
I was a bit down on Harry in 2022 and thought it was time to move on. But boy did his form lift last year, hope he can keep it elite for 1 more season. ILFP.

Except, except... according to Bloods86' depth charts his is a position we're not blessed with a lot of depth. Might depend on how the likes of Vickery come on and who we can get by trade. (Or maybe not because it is hard to squeeze Harry into a best 22 these days.)

Could Kirk be groomed for this type of a role? Is Kirk quick enough?

Also, Harry is the kind of player that I could easily see being kept around by the club and being sent to coach at the Academy or similar (if he is interested).

His one of our few genuine lockdown small defenders.

This his a lock in our 22 unless someone else pops up.

He doesn't get noticed much on GameDay, but this is not a bad thing and his rated by the coaches and the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came here to defend Harry's spot in the 22, to find everything's been said AND my depth charts even got a mention.

Even leaving aside his good form this year, we have no-one else, unless you play Fox as the small defender (Harry does it better on the smaller guys, Fox on medium types, even KPFs).

His one of our few genuine lockdown small defenders.

This his a lock in our 22 unless someone else pops up.

He doesn't get noticed much on GameDay, but this is not a bad thing and his rated by the coaches and the players.

While I agree with this point, I could also at some point see us running a Back 7 of McCartin, Hamling, Francis, Rampe, Fox, Blakey and Florent in line with the way game is moving with defensive setups.

I was a bit down on Harry in 2022 and thought it was time to move on. But boy did his form lift last year, hope he can keep it elite for 1 more season. ILFP.

Ditto. Proved me wrong last year, hope he can maintain the same form.

While I agree with this point, I could also at some point see us running a Back 7 of McCartin, Hamling, Francis, Rampe, Fox, Blakey and Florent in line with the way game is moving with defensive setups.

Valid point, could Harry play a similar role to Fox or Florent in that set up?

Imo it's a bit like the debate surrounding Wicks spot in the team. I'm unsure what type of structure & gamestyle coaches want this season, considering the depth & versatility in players this year. At his best he's in the best 23 due to his defensive abilities & athletic traits.

Ditto. Proved me wrong last year, hope he can maintain the same form.

Valid point, could Harry play a similar role to Fox or Florent in that set up?

Imo it's a bit like the debate surrounding Wicks spot in the team. I'm unsure what type of structure & gamestyle coaches want this season, considering the depth & versatility in players this year. At his best he's in the best 23 due to his defensive abilities & athletic traits.
Definitely depends on two things:
1. Harry's personal form. Does he warrant a spot in the back seven no matter what?
2. Do we play a lockdown on the most dangerous small forward or rely on the zone? At present Harry is the only one with the credentials to play that lockdown role. See point 1.
Over the last few years we have done a little of both. Neither has been 100% successful nor a total failure.
We all have our opinions and TBH mostly we are all at least partly right.
For mine Harry is one of the very few who can put the dampers on Charlie Cameron and Kozi and the like and that alone should earn him a spot provided he's 100% fit.

Yeah, nah. I don't think we will ever play that back 7 and I wouldn't want us to. Too tall. And Francis can't play Harry's role. You're also omitting Lloyd, which is bold - is that intentional?

It's just a training clip but it reinforces why Cunningham will very likely play 23 games this year, plus any finals if we're good enough to feature in them.

Who else on the list is gonna be able to fairly reliably win 1v1s in defence like that, every quarter, of every game?

Rampe & Mills the obvious candidates, but one will be 34 mid-year and the other won't even be playing til mid-year.

There's Fox, but he seems on the outs with Horse.

Florent & Lloyd, forget it. They're more your traditional flankers, and while Blakey is greatly-improved in contested work, it's ideally something he's not doing much.

Any talk of Vickery, Roberts, Warner Jr. etc. I think is folly. Horse is not going to drop a near-200 gamer who is performing to try a kid with under 10 games on his belt.

So the spot really is Cunningham's to lose. He's no Nick Smith, nor is he even a Quaynor. But he is the best we've got. If he performs well enough, he'll be selected every time, regardless of his perceived limitations offensively.

It's just a training clip but it reinforces why Cunningham will very likely play 23 games this year, plus any finals if we're good enough to feature in them.

Who else on the list is gonna be able to fairly reliably win 1v1s in defence like that, every quarter, of every game?

Rampe & Mills the obvious candidates, but one will be 34 mid-year and the other won't even be playing til mid-year.

There's Fox, but he seems on the outs with Horse.

Florent & Lloyd, forget it. They're more your traditional flankers, and while Blakey is greatly-improved in contested work, it's ideally something he's not doing much.

Any talk of Vickery, Roberts, Warner Jr. etc. I think is folly. Horse is not going to drop a near-200 gamer who is performing to try a kid with under 10 games on his belt.

So the spot really is Cunningham's to lose. He's no Nick Smith, nor is he even a Quaynor. But he is the best we've got. If he performs well enough, he'll be selected every time, regardless of his perceived limitations offensively.
I agree with everything except the offensive limitations. Harry is still a damn good and long kick to advantage. Not so much a dodgy runner but he is usually held back to stay close to his man so we don't use him that much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back