Under Age 2025 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys will begin with a clash between Victoria Country and Victoria Metro on Saturday, June 10 during the King’s Birthday weekend in Victoria.

The first round of fixtures will be played across four states, before all ten teams converge on the Gold Coast where the final two rounds will be played from July 3 to July 7.

The 2023 AFL National Championships – U18 Girls will again feature six teams. Queensland, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro and Western Australia will all field teams, along with the Allies, which will comprise players from New South Wales, ACT, Northern Territory and Tasmania.

2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys​

Teams: Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, Northern Territory, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro, Sydney Swans Academy, Tasmania and Western Australia

DATEHOME TEAMAWAY TEAMVENUE
Sat, June 10Victoria CountryVictoria MetroIKON Park, VIC
Sat, June 17GWS GIANTS AcademySydney Swans AcademyBlacktown Int. Sportspark, NSW
Sat, June 24Northern TerritoryTasmaniaHighgate Rec. Reserve, VIC
Sun, June 25Western AustraliaSouth AustraliaTBC, WA
Sun, June 25Brisbane LionsGC SUNS AcademyBrighton Homes Arena, QLD
Mon, July 3GC SUNS AcademyTasmaniaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3GWS GIANTS AcademyNorthern TerritoryHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3Brisbane LionsSydney SwansHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria MetroWestern AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria CountrySouth AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Thu, July 6TasmaniaGWS GIANTS AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6GC SUNS AcademySydney Swans AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6Northern TerritoryBrisbane Lions AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7South AustraliaVictoria MetroFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7Western AustraliaVictoria CountryFankhauser Reserve, QLD

Last edited:
Interesting you have Dylan Patterson the most highly rated of the Northern Academy kids. I completely agree with you, but he hasn't had the fanfare of a few others but his upside is limitless and has been playing Senior footy for Palm Beach and not just making up the numbers, but genuinely contributing. Still hasn't turned 16 yet, as he is a September birth.

Think you have Geesu a bit high, he has talent - remains to be seen if he realises that talent and goes all in. Having jack Harrison at #30 is also an interesting call, another kid not getting the fanfare of others, but is just a really reliable footballer that can play anywhere down back, forward and through the middle. Very clean, smart and has great skills on his preferred side. rough not having Addinsall up there, but I think Jai Murray has gone backwards this year, falling behind his peers in output from what I've seen.

No Bridge in your mentions or Top 30, was player of the carnival at u15 nats last year and AA u16 this year. Has debuted at senior level, but his club are 1 win and bottom of ladder, so not a huge feather in the cap given where they are at. Whats your knock on him? I feel he lacks physicality and plays a bit selfish, but the fundamental skillset is elite.
Dylan Patterson has top 10 potential, but I was a bit conservative on him, he moves so well and his work rate around the ground was impressive as well as his contested marking and contested footy, imo he seems the best from QLD for 2025 atm.

I liked how composed and sure of himself under pressure Jack Harrison was, also good decision maker with good skills

Addinsall tries, but he lacks something in his game atm, he needs to find an x factor, something for clubs to get excited about

Geesu has speed, skill and is a rare defensive forward and he also works up and down the ground, I liked what I saw from him.

I don't know any of their names, I just wrote down numbers and the players/numbers I liked I looked up their names, so I don't know who Bridge is but he didn't catch my eye at the champs, maybe next time? When I watched Brisbane my notes had a bunch of 3 and 11s which were Geesu and Harrison, they also had a few 5s 24s 23s and 26s 26 being Charlie Hewitt a 198cm KPF I don't know who the others were but they were decent players

PS - I have 10(Bridge) noted a couple of times, but not often enough to mention.

Last edited:
Dylan Patterson has top 10 potential, but I was a bit conservative on him, he moves so well and his work rate around the ground was impressive as well as his contested marking and contested footy, imo he seems the best from QLD for 2025 atm.

I liked how composed and sure of himself under pressure Jack Harrison was, also good decision maker with good skills

Addinsall tries, but he lacks something in his game atm, he needs to find an x factor, something for clubs to get excited about

Geesu has speed, skill and is a rare defensive forward and he also works up and down the ground, I liked what I saw from him.

I don't know any of their names, I just wrote down numbers and the players/numbers I liked I looked up their names, so I don't know who Bridge is but he didn't catch my eye at the champs, maybe next time? When I watched Brisbane my notes had a bunch of 3 and 11s which were Geesu and Harrison, they also had a few 5s 24s 23s and 26s 26 being Charlie Hewitt a 198cm KPF I don't know who the others were but they were decent players

PS - I have 10(Bridge) noted a couple of times, but not often enough to mention.
Hewitt is an U17’s player.

Last edited:

Pretty sure 5 is a lad called Ben Lillico, very classy little left footer. Beautiful in traffic.

Good way to do it, just watch the game not knowing who they are, then look for the names after. Doesn't draw you to look for the ones getting a wrap.

I'm big on Patterson, and I like Harrison too. Hewitt is a 2024 draft, not 2025. Easy mistake to make given he was playing in an u16 carnival..

West Australia 2007 DOB in Colts/PSA 2023 After Round 17

1-Jake Boniwell (EF/PSA)
2-Blake Kelly (SD/PSA)

3-Basil Hart (PT)
4-Matthew Becker (PT)
5-Darcy Montgomery (S)
6-Toby Whan (SF)

7-Marcus Cassidy (EP/PSA)
8-Jimmy Aylmore (S/PSA)
9-Fred Rodriguez (SF)
10-Taj Longmuir (SF/PSA)
11-Wes Walley Jnr (S)
12-Jadd Hill (P)
13-Jamie Sidebottom (SD)
14-Peter Gioulis (SF)
15-Judd Marcello (WP)

16-Harrison Heaton (SF)
17-Millar Rank (SF)
18-Cooper Shord (P)
19-Max Hansen-Knarhoi (CL/PSA)
20-Jacob Farrow (WP)

21-Peter Young (WP)
22-Baxter Gray (P)

23-Nicholas Clifton (PT)
24-Will York (PT)
25-Amon Ross (WP)
26-Cooper Bewick (WP)
27-Luke Carrello (EF)
28-Kaiden Summerell (EF)
29-Max Skerritt (SF/PSA)
30-Dale Sutherland (P/PSA)
31-Lochlain Carpenter (WP)
32-Max McCullough (S)
33-Sebastian Hewitt (WP/PSA)
34-Tom Grylls (EF/PSA)
35-Noah Midani (PT)
36-Jacob Donald (SF)
37-Matthew May (SF)
38-Cole Trinder (EP/PSA)

39-Luke Hallett (EP)
40-Lucas Santich (S)
41-Matthew Petagna (EP/PSA)
42-Rhys Hards (WP)

43-Hudson Walker (S)
44-Deacon McGuire (EP/PSA)
45-Tyson McGuire (EP/PSA)
46-Rhama Evans (EF/PSA)
47-Boyd Fewson (WP)

48-Zane Gartrell (WP)
49-Riaz Mohammad (EF)
50=William Amos (EP)

50=Jake Caton (EP)

50=Cale Scott (EF)
50=Charlie Cotter (CL/PSA)

Other players to keep an eye on - Oscar Willis (CL), Chase Stubbs (S), Will Malajczuk (CL), William Jenkinson (CL/PSA), Dylan Prance (S), Corey Ballantyne (EP), Joshua Hawes (EP/PSA), Lucas Cattalini (SF), Soren Feast (SD), Kael Wallace (EP), Lachlan Gray (SD), Scott Rae (WP), Lachlan Birch (PT), Jake Tucker (S), Cassius Hill (P), Isaac Wittkuhn (P), Matthew Radojkovich (EF), George Stoney (CL/PSA), Nicholas Cameron (CL), Kade Smith (P), Riley Clark (EF), Jonah Klemke (WP), Campbell Johnston (CL), Oakleigh Mather (SD), Kylan Granland (WP), Dylan Scott (SD), Tom Oliver (SD), Will Ross (SD), Hayden Burt (S), David Whitby (EP), Liam Trott (S/PSA), Luke Sanders (S)

Votes in 2023 colts
Leaderboard Blake Kelly*** (SD) 1 6 6.00 2 Fred Rodriguez*** (SF) 2 9 4.50 - Toby Whan*** (SF) 3 9 3.00 2 Harrison Heaton*** (SF) 1 2 2.00 3 Peter Gioulis*** (SF) 3 3 1.00 3 Millar Rank*** (SF) 6 5 0.83 - Darcy Montgomery*** (S) 2 - 0.00 1 Baxter Gray*** (P) 2 - 0.00 1 Peter Young*** (WP) 2 - 0.00 1 Nicholas Clifton*** (PT) 1 - 0.00 1 Jacob Donald*** (SF) 3 - 0.00 - Jamie Sidebottom*** (SD) 2 - 0.00 - Cooper Bewick*** (WP) 2 - 0.00 - William Amos*** (EP) 2 - 0.00 - Cole Trinder*** (EP) 2 - 0.00 - Kaiden Summerell*** (EF) 1 - 0.00 - Lucas Santich*** (S) 1 - 0.00 - Sebastian Hewitt*** (WP) 1 - 0.00 - Jacob Farrow*** (WP) 1 - 0.00 - Amon Ross*** (WP) 1 - 0.00 - Luke Hallett*** (EP) 1 - 0.00 - Marcus Cassidy*** (EP) 1 - 0.00 - Taj Longmuir*** (SF) 1 - 0.00 -

Last edited:
Bit surprised Sharp went back to Under 16's today but think the dogs needed to knock of top spot Sturt which they did. Lazy 39 touches 8 tackles and 7 clearances. Schubert with 9 goals too.

Early top 30 for 2025 draft based on u16s and CTL form
1. Dyson Sharp 188cm Central Dist
2. Oliver Greeves 190cm Eastern
3. Blake Kelly 180cm Swan Dist
4. Lachlan Dovaston 175cm Eastern
5. Blake Oudshoorn-Bennier 182cm Nth Adel
6. Louis Emmett 198cm Oakleigh
7. Marcus Cassidy 186cm Est Perth
8. Archie Ludowyke 193cm Sandringham
9. Jack Dalton 176cm Sandringham
10. Noah Roberts-Thompson 180cm Sturt
11. Tairon Ah-Mu 199cm Dandenong
12. Noah Hibbins-Hargreaves 185cm Dandenong
13. Harry Morphet 175cm Geelong ...(broke his leg at champs)
14. Basil Hart 183cm Peel
15. Riley Onley 194cm Murray
16. Xavier Bamert 184cm Sandringham
17. Jadd Hill 176cm Perth
18. Dylan Patterson 183cm GCS A
19. Judd Marcello 189cm Wst Perth
20. Giuseppe Posterino 175cm Geelong
21. Jamie Gilchrist 185cm Eastern
22. Zeke Uwland 176cm GCS A
23. Raphael Geesu 175cm Bris A
24. Toby Whan 180cm Sth Fremantle
25. Jobe Scapin 186cm Gippsland
26. Aidan Schubert 194cm Central Dist
27. Mitchell Moate 180cm Northern
28. Jim Kelly 178cm Norwood
29. Zach O'Keefe 176cm Gippsland
30. Jack Harrison 183cm Bris A

Mentions: Willem Duursma 189cm Gipps, Taj Longmuir 179cm Sth Frem, Thomas Burton 177cm Western, Thomas McGuane 176cm Western, Sam Allen 181cm Oakleigh, Tyson Gresham 170cm Northern, Hunter Wright 186cm Bendigo, Jesse Nye 172cm Sth Adel, Lachlan Sands 179cm WWT, Luke Candy 183cm Glenlg, Sam Cumming 186cm Nth Adel, Josh Reichelt 180cm Central Dist, Louis Kellaway 182cm Sturt, Harley Baker 186cm Sturt, Will York 172cm Peel, Darcy Montgomery 180cm Subiaco, Jai Murray(gcs), Beau Addinsall(gcs), Daniel Annabel(bris), Charlie Hewitt(bris) didn't like anyone from syd, gws, tassie or NT, 2 QLD teams the only teams in div 2 playing good footy from my pov...

Sam Grij Oakleigh mid/wing would be in the list if he played in the champs.

Vic Metro won with WA coming runners up, with SA and Vic Country competitive
Brisbane dominated div 2 with GCS A coming runners up then the other 4 teams(GWS, Tas, Syd and NT)

Jevan Phillipou wasn't at the champs but he will be right up there for SA at the pointy end. Very similar talent to his brother and for mine, probably the second best SA kid behind Sharp.

Also watch out for Charlie Dickeson, small but super skilled off both feet.

Jevan Phillipou wasn't at the champs but he will be right up there for SA at the pointy end. Very similar talent to his brother and for mine, probably the second best SA kid behind Sharp.

Jesse Nye, Blake Oudshoorn-Bennier, Sam Cumming and Noah Roberts-Thompson gotta be up there

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wanted to do an AA Team for the u16s champs in 2023

B: Jadd Hill (WA), Cooper Duff-Tytler (VM), Jim Kelly (SA)
HB: Zeke Uwland (GCS), Riley Onley (VC), Xavier Bamert (VM)
C: Lachlan Dovaston (VM), Blake Kelly (WA), Blake Oudshoorn-Bennier (SA)
HF: Jack Harrison (Bris), Louis Emmett (VM), Giuseppe Posterino (VC)
F: Basil Hart (WA), Archie Ludowyke (VM), Dylan Patterson (GCS)
R: Kayle Gerryn (WA), Dyson Sharp (SA), Oliver Greeves (VM)

INT: Tairon Ah-Mu (VC), Jack Dalton (VM), Noah Hibbins-Hargreaves (VC), Noah Roberts-Thompson (SA)
Marcus Cassidy (WA), Raphael Geesu (Bris), Charlie Hewitt (Bris - 2024 draft), Jobe Scapin (VC), Toby Whan (WA).

VM - 7 (winners div 1)
WA - 6 (runners up div 1)
SA - 4
VC - 5
Bris - 3 (winners div 2)
GCS - 2 (runners up div 2)

Similar but not quite...

Hopefully he can bring out the inner extroverts for 2026.

Mattaes is breathtakingly self aware and is always talking about how to improve himself.

Others rattle off the mundane while Mattaes actually delves into each response with a considered turn of phrase.

If Jevan is the same, hopefully it permeates throughout his club if drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Australia 2007 DOB in Colts/PSA 2023 After Round 20

1-Jake Boniwell (EF/PSA)
2-Toby Whan (SF)

3-Blake Kelly (SD/PSA)
4-Basil Hart (PT)
5-Matthew Becker (PT)

6-Marcus Cassidy (EP/PSA)
7-Darcy Montgomery (S)

8-Jimmy Aylmore (S/PSA)
9-Fred Rodriguez (SF)
10-Jadd Hill (P)
11-Wes Walley Jnr (S)
12-Taj Longmuir (SF/PSA)
13-Jamie Sidebottom (SD)
14-Harrison Heaton (SF)
15-Peter Gioulis (SF)
16-Judd Marcello (WP)

17-Cooper Shord (P)
18-Cooper Bewick (WP)
19-Max Hansen-Knarhoi (CL/PSA)
20-Will York (PT)
21-Peter Young (WP)

22-Baxter Gray (P)
23-Lochlain Carpenter (WP)
24-Millar Rank (SF)
25-Jacob Farrow (WP)
26-Harley Cummings (SD)
27-Rhama Evans (EF)

28-Amon Ross (WP)

29-Luke Carrello (EF)
30-Max Skerritt (SF/PSA)
31-Kaiden Summerell (EF)
32-Dale Sutherland (P/PSA)

33-Nicholas Clifton (PT)
34-Max McCullough (S)
35-Sebastian Hewitt (WP/PSA)
36-Tom Grylls (EF/PSA)
37-Lucas Santich (S)
38-Noah Midani (PT)
39-Luke Hallett (EP)
40-Matthew May (SF)
41-Matthew Petagna (EP/PSA)

42-Cole Trinder (EP/PSA)
43-Rhys Hards (WP)

44-Hudson Walker (S)
45-Jacob Donald (SF)

46-Deacon McGuire (EP/PSA)
47-Tyson McGuire (EP/PSA)
48-Tom Oliver (SD)

49-Boyd Fewson (WP)
50=Zane Gartrell (WP)
50=Riaz Mohammad (EF)
50=William Amos (EP)

50=Jake Caton (EP)
50=Nehemiah Brown (SD)

50=Cale Scott (EF)
50=Charlie Cotter (CL/PSA)

Other players to keep an eye on - Oscar Willis (CL), Chase Stubbs (S), Will Malajczuk (CL), William Jenkinson (CL/PSA), Dylan Prance (S), Corey Ballantyne (EP), Joshua Hawes (EP/PSA), Lucas Cattalini (SF), Soren Feast (SD), Kael Wallace (EP), Lachlan Gray (SD), Scott Rae (WP), Lachlan Birch (PT), Zach Sarsero (PT), Jake Tucker (S), Cassius Hill (P), Isaak Wittkuhn (P), Matthew Radojkovich (EF), George Stoney (CL/PSA), Kade Smith (P), Riley Clark (EF), Jonah Klemke (WP), Oakleigh Mather (SD), Dylan Scott (SD), Will Ross (SD), Hayden Burt (S), David Whitby (EP), Luke Sanders (S), Cameron Davies (WP), Rodney Joseph (PT)

Votes in 2023 colts
Leaderboard M V Ave G Toby Whan*** (SF) 5 30 6.00 2 Blake Kelly*** (SD) 3 16 5.33 2 Lochlain Carpenter*** (WP) 1 3 3.00 - Fred Rodriguez*** (SF) 4 9 2.25 - Jacob Farrow*** (WP) 3 5 1.67 1 Harrison Heaton*** (SF) 2 2 1.00 4 Millar Rank*** (SF) 7 5 0.71 - Peter Gioulis*** (SF) 5 3 0.60 4 Cooper Bewick*** (WP) 4 2 0.50 2 Marcus Cassidy*** (EP) 2 1 0.50 - Darcy Montgomery*** (S) 4 - 0.00 4 Nicholas Clifton*** (PT) 3 - 0.00 2 Matthew Becker*** (PT) 2 - 0.00 2 Kaiden Summerell*** (EF) 4 - 0.00 1 Peter Young*** (WP) 2 - 0.00 1 Luke Carrello*** (EF) 2 - 0.00 1 Baxter Gray*** (P) 2 - 0.00 1 Matthew May*** (SF) 2 - 0.00 1 Cameron Davies*** (WP) 1 - 0.00 1 Amon Ross*** (WP) 4 - 0.00 - Jacob Donald*** (SF) 4 - 0.00 - Jamie Sidebottom*** (SD) 3 - 0.00 - Lucas Santich*** (S) 3 - 0.00 - Cooper Shord*** (P) 2 - 0.00 - William Amos*** (EP) 2 - 0.00 - Tom Oliver*** (SD) 2 - 0.00 - Cole Trinder*** (EP) 2 - 0.00 - Taj Longmuir*** (SF) 1 - 0.00 - Harley Cummings*** (SD) 1 - 0.00 - Sebastian Hewitt*** (WP) 1 - 0.00 - Luke Hallett*** (EP) 1 - 0.00 -

Last edited:
Early top 30 for 2025 draft based on u16s and CTL form
1. Dyson Sharp 188cm Central Dist
2. Oliver Greeves 190cm Eastern
3. Blake Kelly 180cm Swan Dist
4. Lachlan Dovaston 175cm Eastern
5. Blake Oudshoorn-Bennier 182cm Nth Adel
6. Louis Emmett 198cm Oakleigh
7. Marcus Cassidy 186cm Est Perth
8. Archie Ludowyke 193cm Sandringham
9. Jack Dalton 176cm Sandringham
10. Noah Roberts-Thompson 180cm Sturt
11. Tairon Ah-Mu 199cm Dandenong
12. Noah Hibbins-Hargreaves 185cm Dandenong
13. Harry Morphet 175cm Geelong ...(broke his leg at champs)
14. Basil Hart 183cm Peel
15. Riley Onley 194cm Murray
16. Xavier Bamert 184cm Sandringham
17. Jadd Hill 176cm Perth
18. Dylan Patterson 183cm GCS A
19. Judd Marcello 189cm Wst Perth
20. Giuseppe Posterino 175cm Geelong
21. Jamie Gilchrist 185cm Eastern
22. Zeke Uwland 176cm GCS A
23. Raphael Geesu 175cm Bris A
24. Toby Whan 180cm Sth Fremantle
25. Jobe Scapin 186cm Gippsland
26. Aidan Schubert 194cm Central Dist
27. Mitchell Moate 180cm Northern
28. Jim Kelly 178cm Norwood
29. Zach O'Keefe 176cm Gippsland
30. Jack Harrison 183cm Bris A

Mentions: Willem Duursma 189cm Gipps, Taj Longmuir 179cm Sth Frem, Thomas Burton 177cm Western, Thomas McGuane 176cm Western, Sam Allen 181cm Oakleigh, Tyson Gresham 170cm Northern, Hunter Wright 186cm Bendigo, Jesse Nye 172cm Sth Adel, Lachlan Sands 179cm WWT, Luke Candy 183cm Glenlg, Sam Cumming 186cm Nth Adel, Josh Reichelt 180cm Central Dist, Louis Kellaway 182cm Sturt, Harley Baker 186cm Sturt, Will York 172cm Peel, Darcy Montgomery 180cm Subiaco, Jai Murray(gcs), Beau Addinsall(gcs), Daniel Annabel(bris), Charlie Hewitt(bris) didn't like anyone from syd, gws, tassie or NT, 2 QLD teams the only teams in div 2 playing good footy from my pov...

Sam Grij Oakleigh mid/wing would be in the list if he played in the champs.

Vic Metro won with WA coming runners up, with SA and Vic Country competitive
Brisbane dominated div 2 with GCS A coming runners up then the other 4 teams(GWS, Tas, Syd and NT)

Any updates since?

Cooper Duff-Tytler is a good KPD prospect, might go earlier as I tend to under rate tall defenders

He's one I've seen mentioned a fair bit this year.

Definitely one to keep tracking for the next 2 years and beyond.

Schubert really impressed me in his finish to the season, was taking marks like Aaron Naughton at times, very strong overhead, pretty mobile. Test is can he keep doing it as he moves up the levels.

Jevan Phillipou is a first round talent, I'm pretty sure of that, fairly similar to his brother but perhaps not quite as good, probably better at hitting the scoreboard though.

Zeke Uwland just got best on ground in a Senior grand final for burleigh bombers- which is good for a 16 year old

Remove this Banner Ad

Back