Under Age 2025 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys will begin with a clash between Victoria Country and Victoria Metro on Saturday, June 10 during the King’s Birthday weekend in Victoria.

The first round of fixtures will be played across four states, before all ten teams converge on the Gold Coast where the final two rounds will be played from July 3 to July 7.

The 2023 AFL National Championships – U18 Girls will again feature six teams. Queensland, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro and Western Australia will all field teams, along with the Allies, which will comprise players from New South Wales, ACT, Northern Territory and Tasmania.

2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys​

Teams: Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, Northern Territory, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro, Sydney Swans Academy, Tasmania and Western Australia

DATEHOME TEAMAWAY TEAMVENUE
Sat, June 10Victoria CountryVictoria MetroIKON Park, VIC
Sat, June 17GWS GIANTS AcademySydney Swans AcademyBlacktown Int. Sportspark, NSW
Sat, June 24Northern TerritoryTasmaniaHighgate Rec. Reserve, VIC
Sun, June 25Western AustraliaSouth AustraliaTBC, WA
Sun, June 25Brisbane LionsGC SUNS AcademyBrighton Homes Arena, QLD
Mon, July 3GC SUNS AcademyTasmaniaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3GWS GIANTS AcademyNorthern TerritoryHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3Brisbane LionsSydney SwansHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria MetroWestern AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria CountrySouth AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Thu, July 6TasmaniaGWS GIANTS AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6GC SUNS AcademySydney Swans AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6Northern TerritoryBrisbane Lions AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7South AustraliaVictoria MetroFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7Western AustraliaVictoria CountryFankhauser Reserve, QLD

Last edited:

I am just wondering if the Mitch Stevens named in the Vic Country side is the same Mitch Stevens as the son of former Crows premiership player Mark Stevens.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's really deceiving to brand them all as 'Div II players' and just make a blanket statement that you shouldn't have many Div II players in the AA team. Like you pointed out, Queensland were runner ups in the U15 nationals the year before so clearly there are several players in Queensland that are better than their southern counterparts in that particular draft class. We'll get a much better understanding of their true ability over the next two years as they compete against higher standard competition on a more regular basis.

I think you'll see the Lions Academy side struggle to compete in 2024, but it will be more than 50% bottom agers I reckon.

The Suns will be stronger, but will also have a disproportionate amount of bottom agers running around as well.

I think you'll see the Lions Academy side struggle to compete in 2024, but it will be more than 50% bottom agers I reckon.

The Suns will be stronger, but will also have a disproportionate amount of bottom agers running around as well.
Tend to agree. I think both will struggle in the U18 comps but the Suns are probably stronger at this stage. It'll be interesting to see how many Queenslanders make the Allies squad this year and if any of them will be bottom agers.

It's the new year.

This means it's the year of being the under age players in the U18's champions and simultaneously jostling for position in the futures game on AFLM GF day.

Sharp.
Greeves.
Ludowyke.
Duursma.

More improvement to come for this quartet and more.

It's the new year.

This means it's the year of being the under age players in the U18's champions and simultaneously jostling for position in the futures game on AFLM GF day.

Sharp.
Greeves.
Ludowyke.
Duursma.

More improvement to come for this quartet and more.
Exactly, and seeing as you have influence here can you change my 2024 WA thread from under age to draft age state focus...lol

GC2015.

We need a player or 2 to disrupt Gold Coast's main group (Murray, Addinsall, Uwland, Patterson, Hudson and White) I reckon.

Make things that bit more interesting.
I suspect we'll see a few of these prospects dropping off this year as the transition from U16 to U18 footy often balances things out. Especially if you're from a non-traditional footy state like Queensland. We saw it happen last year with Caleb Nancarrow who went from the best tall prospect in the '24 draft class (U16 AA CHF the year before) to a player who isn't even a guarantee to be drafted at the end of this year. The kids you've listed are all going to be playing bottom age U18 footy this year and I highly doubt all are going to maintain an AA level of play in 2024.

Even if all of them miracuously do maintain an AA level of play, I think it's very likely that the Suns will be playing finals in 2025 which means we'll only be able to draft one or two of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cooper Collins is the smokey in that age group for the suns, alongside Dylan Patterson - he has limitless potential.
Fairly sure Collins is a part of the 2026 draft class and played in the U16s national championships as a bottom ager last year. Should do so again this year.

Patterson seems to have the highest potential of GC's 2025 prospects. We've just got to make sure he doesn't convert to rugby league. He was very impressive playing for PBC's U16 league team last year and I'm sure the Titans have their eye on him too.

Off-topic but, Futbolista, I've just remembered you have the ability to change tags in your WA threads.

For future reference:

Go to your OP.
Find where it says "Edit."
Once this is done, to the left of the thread title is a drop down menu of thread prefix options.
Select the one you want and go from there.
Once this is done and you're satisfied with what you've done, click on "Save" and the prefix will be changed.

Fairly sure Collins is a part of the 2026 draft class and played in the U16s national championships as a bottom ager last year. Should do so again this year.

Patterson seems to have the highest potential of GC's 2025 prospects. We've just got to make sure he doesn't convert to rugby league. He was very impressive playing for PBC's U16 league team last year and I'm sure the Titans have their eye on him too.

Collins is 2025 draft, he is just born in December which is generally a disadvantage in footy development, as it makes Year 12 your draft year.

Cooper Collins is the smokey in that age group for the suns, alongside Dylan Patterson - he has limitless potential.
Patterson? Nah . Watched a lot . No doubt he can play but his average disposal count was low compared to others . Plus there are big questions on his attitude

His attitude would be the #1 thing holding him back (alongside his father and his attitude).

Was dominating QAFL senior footy in 2023 as a 15 year old, can't remember anyone doing that for a long time.

His attitude would be the #1 thing holding him back (alongside his father and his attitude).

Was dominating QAFL senior footy in 2023 as a 15 year old, can't remember anyone doing that for a long time.
Interesting comment. Perhaps we've got another Zorko situation on our hands with Patterson? Clearly talented but apparently has an attitude issue and we know that cost Zorko at several AFL drafts. Patterson be playing U18s footy for the Suns academy as a bottom ager this year so he's going to get found out pretty quickly if something isn't up to standard. You can probably get away with a bit at the U16s level but the U18s level is serious stuff. Hopefully some success at the AFL level for the Suns over the next two years will inspire Patterson to get it together because it sounds like he has genuine first round/top 10 ability.

Gee whiz! Collingwood must be loving life with the amount of F/S players they've had/will have access to. They must be doing a lot right with the F/S academy.

Gee whiz! Collingwood must be loving life with the amount of F/S players they've had/will have access to. They must be doing a lot right with the F/S academy.

They rejuvinated the academy last year, which includes the NGA kids, and even kids of Father's that arent eligible; but wanted to get them involved, before then with covid there wasnt much going on due to covid.
This is Oscar and Jett Buckley in 2017 (Jett has more interesting in Racing/Karting these days)

Interesting comment. Perhaps we've got another Zorko situation on our hands with Patterson? Clearly talented but apparently has an attitude issue and we know that cost Zorko at several AFL drafts. Patterson be playing U18s footy for the Suns academy as a bottom ager this year so he's going to get found out pretty quickly if something isn't up to standard. You can probably get away with a bit at the U16s level but the U18s level is serious stuff. Hopefully some success at the AFL level for the Suns over the next two years will inspire Patterson to get it together because it sounds like he has genuine first round/top 10 ability.

I think he will be fine mate.

He was a top end player in the Palm Beach Senior side last year, and most QAFL Senior sides would murder the Suns academy u18 team.

Hawks will have priority over lions, for access. Just like the Suns and Lions over Ashcroft. Hopefully Cooper will be keen to spread his wings and experience Melbourne. An he remembers dads Hawks premierships.

Yeah he goes to the same School as the lions Harry Sharp.

I reckon the Lions will welcome Cooper A.S.A.P

Hawks only get priority access if the kid agrees.

If he wants to stay in Brisbane with his family and all his mates at the Lion's he will sign up as an NGA and Lion's will steal him from under the noses of the Hawks.

I actually hope this happens as it would likely result in a massive uproar from the Vic media crying foul and as they do the AFL will bend to the will of the Vic clubs. Ending the ridiculous advantage the Lion's and the Swans are now rorting has to happen. Even if it means all clubs get similar access to their academies. Why strong, successful clubs playing in grand finals need AFL hand outs needs to be explained by AFL House. 10 years ago sure it made sense.....not today.

Being around for so long helps mate. Its all math.

Pretty hard to fill up a father son academy with no father sons.

Being around for so long helps mate. Its all math.

Pretty hard to fill up a father son academy with no father sons.
Not for your club. You guys got father-son access to future dual premiership player Ashley McIntosh in your third year and father-son access to future Brownlow medallist + premiership player Ben Cousins in your ninth year. We're entering our 14th season in the league this year and we're still probably another decade away from drafting our first F/S selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back