List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather delist contracted plodders like Stephenson or Tucker before moving on Fordy.

Well that's a separate issue isn't it. So many of our poorest performers are on long term contracts. :(

It really ties our hands behind our backs with options.

Well that's a separate issue isn't it. So many of our poorest performers are on long term contracts. :(

It really ties our hands behind our backs with options.

As I mentioned in my longer post, we'd easily have the cap flexibility to delist contracted players. I'd argue CCJ, Stevo, Tucker could easily be in the gun. CCJ and Stevo were both on heavily front loaded contracts, which we could easily afford to pay out.

Based on Blightys Barrel post (that I suspect will get merged into here;

The players out of contract at the end of this year

1. Cooper Harvey - trade or delist
  2. Curtis Taylor - trade or delist
  3. Charlie Lazzaro - extend
  4. Brayden George - has to play
  5. Blake Drury - possibly extend
  6. Bailey Scott - extend
  7. Tony Pink - possibly extend
  8. Will Phillips - extend
  9. Tyler Sellers - possibly delist
  10. Robert Hansen Jr - possibly delist
  11. Liam Shiels - retire
  12. Kallan Dawson - extend
  13. Jackson Archer - possibly extend
  14. Hugh Greenwood - retire
  15. Hamish Free - has to play
  16. Finnbar Maley - has to play
  17. Eddie Ford - extend
  18. Cameron Zurhaar - extend (RFA)
There are a few in the list above that really have to play some games to determine their future. Even then they might not make it but unless there's a very sound reason to keep an untried OOC player then cut the losses and create a list spot to bring in someone with more experience if that option presents.

Those with the possibly extend comment would need to lift and establish themselves as being better than any on-market player to get another year.

Those with the possibly delist comment would not be extended if there's a better player available that fills a need and is willing to put pen to paper.

Here's the thing; our list is bad. I think most rational fans agree with this sentiment, given the evidence at hand.

As I said in another thread a few days ago, I think North fans have a duality where we understand our list is bad, but when it comes to talking about our individual players we have a tendency to over-rate them due to our emotional attachment.

The fact is, as I see it; Ford and Lazzaro, for better or worse, are probably among the last guys selected in the 22 each week. They bounce between the sub role, and have both had good patches of footy, and patches where they go absolutely missing.

IF we're going to get better, we need to upgrade the bottom players on our list. I have Ford and Lazzaro both in that category.
If you read Rick18's piece this week, he talks about a lack of trust. When the list turns over so much year after year, it's hard to build that trust, that synergy between players, that builds a cohesive football side. Listen to people talk about what makes a successful club and you'll pretty quickly hear the word "stability". That's not just in admin and coaching, it has to be in the playing group as well.

Richmond's great side of recent years was filled with blokes like David Astbury, Kamdyn McIntosh, Kane Lambert - a long way from being first picked, and certainly not household names, but they were drafted by Richmond, they grew with the side and ended up being really important players.

Personally, I think the best way to improve the list is to recruit elite players - and if we can't get those through free agency or trades then just hit the draft. Replacing fringe players with other fringe players doesn't get you anywhere.

The list needs confidence, it's so brittle that conceding a goal before quarter time sets off an avalanche in the 2nd quarter that we can never recover and do well not to get blown by 3 digit figures.

I doubt this will come to fruitious but instead of going after 25-28 year old who might work or just clog the list on 4-5yr contracts, l offer an alternative that hunts out proven stars and leaders of their teams but are likely to be retired even though they may have a few seasons left

Priority: Sonja and Jenn need to lobby Dillion and Ms Bland Kane, into giving us the ability to have extra Dev coaches or line coaches - if we are able to get this as part of a priority package rather than 2nd rounders next year, it serves the short term as well as the longterm.

The bait is to offer a career in coaching post playing days whilst still being able to play some meaniful games abet not guarenteed.

Pendles, Duncan or Callan Ward - their leadership and organisation would help our midfield group so much, even doing match analysis with these guys, could unlook some of the midfielders IQ.
Dylan Grimes - like the above, his ability to teach defensive organisation, bark instructions is sorely lacking, match analysis with the back 6 and critique would be far more valuable than playing.
Lincoln McCarthy - his forward craft is next level and a natural leader that could teach foward organisation and pressure, how to read the play, defensive and offensive poistioning in the forward 50.

Out of UFA players, and outside McCarthy, these players would be immediately respected and their advice carries weight due to their achievements in the game and while they won't play many games, their contribution is helping this team grow up would be invaluable.

As per his player thread, LDU has parked contract talks.

He's gone, no doubt about it, Zurhaar gone too. They are damaged goods with 7 years of bottom finishes.

Let's them leave but make sure we get band 1 from them. Give LDU a 6 year contract next year. Let saints take the bait.

We can be liberal with trading of top picks for good players in 2026 if need be.

Get 60 games into a large number of players and the likes of sheezal will shine and be a superstar.

The talk around was that the Saints were into him.

With his attack on the footy, his lack of gut running, his soft attempts to tackle and his inability to defend he’d last about 2 minutes with Ross Lyon.

Everyone seems to quickly forget how good he was last year etc

This year he just doesn't care
Same with Cam

They will be stars anywhere else IMO lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You see, i could no longer care with all these 'park' contract talk crap until the best time.

They simply want to wait and see, downhill skiier stuff. It doesn't mean we bench them but we put them to donkey's work and get the most juice out of their labour then get a top price for them.

You only really need 3 top of the line blue chip players but you do need 20 something experience solid contributors.

In larkey, sheezal and comben, we should have 3 very good players. We simply need to get 60 games into 15 players on our list that played on sunday.

It's this simple. Players like mackay, uniacke, zurhaar are damaged goods, let them go so we get a good price so they don't stay and stagnate and turn into plodders.

It's like WW1 infantry charge, let a bunch of them charge and die and then you discard them and bring in fresh bunch. We just need to go through this very bad time alas you want the richmond 37 years of mediocrity type.

I’m hoping we target at least 1 player in every zone of the ground through trade. I think Zurhaar leaves so we can’t attack free agency.

Defence - put a big offer in front of pre agent Brandon Starcevich. Bris are going to need to pay up for Berry and MCcluggage. Rayner, Andrews and Cameron all out of contract next year as well. He might take the money if we offer it.

Mid - Jarryd Lyons would be a good option for a couple of years. Mature mid who still finds the footy. Takes a bit of pressure of our young mids. FA but we could offer a very cheap trade so we don’t dilute free agency.

Forward - As much as I hate to say it I think Lobb is the best option. He’ll be cheap, fills that ruck forward option and can give Larkey some support.

Outside of established players I still think Aleer and Busslinger are good options.

OOC Players:

Bailey Scott - 2 yr deal
Will Phillips - 2 yr deal
Brayden George - 1/2 yr deal
Charlie Lazzaro - 1 yr deal
Cooper Harvey - 1 yr deal
Finnbar Maley - 1 yr deal (rookie)
Eddie Ford - 1/2 yr deal
Blake Drury - 1 yr deal (rookie)
Kallan Dawson - 1 yr deal (rookie)
Tyler Sellers - 1 yr deal (rookie)
Jackson Archer - Re-list as a rookie (rookie)
Hugh Greenwood - delist
Curtis Taylor - delist
Cam Zurhaar - Leaves RFA - 2nd round compo (diluted because we pick up other FA's)
Liam Shiels - delist
Tarryn Thomas - delisted
Toby Pink - delist
Hamish Free - delist (rookie)
RJH - delist.

I've got no idea who is a rookie and who is primary listed anymore but that would leave us with 8 list spots.

Pick up Brandon Parfitt and Isaac Cumming or Blake Hardwick Free Agents.

Take 4 picks to the ND, 1 to the rookie draft then take the best available delisted free agent for the last spot.

If we ended up with more higher end picks or got more trade targets I'd happily delist Biggie too (who I'm pretty sure only signed a 1 yr deal), CCJ, Stephenson or Corr. There is plenty of available dead weight we can trim
If we’ve used our assistance quota, perhaps a first rounder for Zurhaar might be a way to slyly assist the rebuild without seeming too overt with more priority picks.

6. Bailey Scott - extend
  11. Liam Shiels - retire
  17. Eddie Ford - extend
There are a few in the list above that really have to play some games to determine their future. Even then they might not make it but unless there's a very sound reason to keep an untried OOC player then cut the losses and create a list spot to bring in someone with more experience if that option presents.

Those with the possibly extend comment would need to lift and establish themselves as being better than any on-market player to get another year.

Those with the possibly delist comment would not be extended if there's a better player available that fills a need and is willing to put pen to paper.
Why would you trade or delist Harvey that’s ridiculous

6. Bailey Scott - extend
  11. Liam Shiels - retire
  17. Eddie Ford - extend

Why would you trade or delist Harvey that’s ridiculous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back