List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lobb is a 31 year old pea heart. The last thing we need is more pea hearts from other clubs that offer nothing in the way of training standards or leadership.
Is he really a pea heart? He made that cringe tiktok but doesn't seem to be complaining about playing reserves, he also requested a trade out of freo it was denied for the 2nd time and went on to have a career best season. Definitely a journeyman but he would immediately slot into CHF and would help Larkey and the rest of our forward line, we'd also get him for pretty much nothing as it would be a salary dump

Is he really a pea heart? He made that cringe tiktok but doesn't seem to be complaining about playing reserves, he also requested a trade out of freo it was denied for the 2nd time and went on to have a career best season. Definitely a journeyman but he would immediately slot into CHF and would help Larkey and the rest of our forward line, we'd also get him for pretty much nothing as it would be a salary dump

When it gets a bit tougher for him he ups and leaves. He did it at GWS, did it at Freo and at the end of the season will do it at WB.

On field he is one of the least physical 200+cm players in the comp.

I don’t want anymore mercenary fringe type players coming here for a payday. That isn’t how you rebuild a culture, our last 6/8 years of recruitment is reflective of that.

Just had a look at our recent trade history. Bit of a grim read.

Rory F##king Lobb would fit in perfectly with the standard of trades we've made since 2018. He'd probably be unavailable for selection for 3 weeks during an injury crisis due to a home hair bleaching related accident. That, or he'd get distracted by a seagull and accidentally concuss one of our few actually good players during training.

2018: Polec, Pittard, Tyson & Hall
2019: Bonar & Walker
2020: Bosenavulagi, Stephenson & Young
2021: Coleman-Jones
2022: Logue & Tucker
2023: Fisher, Nyuon & Stephens

Polec: talented, soft, horribly one-sided and extremely injury prone
Pittard: hard at it, seemed like a decent fella, average to poor by foot
Tyson: perma injured, didn't really make sense even at the time
Hall: pace, could find the ball and knew how to turn it over
Bonar: injured a lot, was ok at times but never nailed down a spot
Walker: serviceable, filled a need, slow as a wet week
Bosenavulagi: was the makeweight in the Sleevo deal, a bit meh
Stephenson: talented, soft, inconsistent, could still come good again hopefully
Young: ok at times but nothing to write home about
Coleman-Jones: injured a lot, has played 1.5 good games at North, looks a bust
Logue: looked good before his knee injury
Tucker: seems a solid citizen/good trainer type, probably more of a placeholder until someone else emerges

Bit early to make a proper judgement on the 2023 group, so just going off what we've seen so far.

Fisher: doesn't look great as a defender, a move up the ground might help.
Nyuon: very raw, shows a few good signs, handy backup at this stage
Stephens: horribly one-sided, form has been average, could be in line for a cat food sponsorship deal.

When it gets a bit tougher for him he ups and leaves. He did it at GWS, did it at Freo and at the end of the season will do it at WB.

On field he is one of the least physical 200+cm players in the comp.

I don’t want anymore mercenary fringe type players coming here for a payday. That isn’t how you rebuild a culture, our last 6/8 years of recruitment is reflective of that.
I didn't know he bad physically, completely agree with you about not recruiting fringe players. It's just that we're in such a bad predicament that no good players want to come here

Happy with any of them
Yep.

Couple older types ie Tomlinson & Lobb but they are better than the current player on the list occupying that position & buys a year or two of development for the youngins.

Will snap them all up for cents on the dollar except maybe Busslinger.

We need to invest in what we have and the draft.

If a couple of older guys we like become available then bring them in for coverage. But we shouldn’t reach. Take them if they’re available.

Sellers, Malley, Biggie and Pink are all sort of in between agers where they probably need another year on our list just to see the best of them or get an idea of what the best of them looks like. Giving them some continuity in the system is smarter than dropping those guys and picking up some new toys.

These guys all need to put on some size to really contest at senior level.

For this draft year - best available at no.1 then take two talls around the second round. This looks like the sweet spot for KP talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Lobb was 2-3 years younger, I'd be more interested. I'm not that keen to pick up a 200cm player over 30 who's playing VFL for a team on the fringe of the 8.

I'll say something very few will agree with but so be it:

I genuinely think our list is good enough right now to win at least 6 games, and the only reason it's not more than that is because of how young our list is.

It's hard to pinpoint a singular issue, but something I think is having a detrimental effect is we've been in a constant cycle of distractions and change over the last 6 years.

Sometimes it's totally our fault
  • A lot of delisting of s**t players we've drafted or traded for. 3 times in the last 6 years we've made 13 or more changes to the list in the off-season. That's 1/3 of the list; most clubs average 8-10 list changes in the off-season.

Sometimes the club is sort of at fault
  • Rhyce Shaw tenure
  • David Noble tenure
  • The caretakers in between these appointments (not making a judgement call on the caretakers themselves, just noting the lack of stability in them taking the reigns for short periods of time)
  • The line coaching appointments that have changed throughout that time in response to senior coaching appointments)

Sometimes it's totally out of our control and fault can't be put on the club
  • Tarryn Thomas issues
  • Clarko-Hawthorn saga
  • JHF being a w***er

Then during this period of time (since ~2017) we've also had:
  • A President change in 2022 from Buckley to Sonja
  • A change in CEO from Dilena to Amarfio, then from Amarfio to Jen Watt

All of this screams lack of stability and creates huge issues within the playing and coaching group.

There was a meta-analysis done a while ago on the single most important factor that leads to team success in sport and it found that stability was the most important factor. Of all the clubs in the competition, we have had the least amount of stability and easily so - I'm not sure another club comes close to the above.

Anyway all that to say, I think Clarko is moving us in the right direction, Sonja Hood needs a statue out the front of Arden St and Wardlaw, Sheezel, LDU, Powell and Duursma will lead us to the promised land. We will need to tinker with the list at the end of the year, but I think we need to stop with the massive turning over of the list every couple of off-seasons because I think we've finally got talent there, we just need the right development and continuity, understanding that the incredibly young team we're putting out there needs as much time together as they can get to gel and carry out the game plan.

Enough with this reasoned analysis. This is the internet!

Just had a look at our recent trade history. Bit of a grim read.

Rory F##king Lobb would fit in perfectly with the standard of trades we've made since 2018. He'd probably be unavailable for selection for 3 weeks during an injury crisis due to a home hair bleaching related accident. That, or he'd get distracted by a seagull and accidentally concuss one of our few actually good players during training.

2018: Polec, Pittard, Tyson & Hall
2019: Bonar & Walker
2020: Bosenavulagi, Stephenson & Young
2021: Coleman-Jones
2022: Logue & Tucker
2023: Fisher, Nyuon & Stephens

Polec: talented, soft, horribly one-sided and extremely injury prone
Pittard: hard at it, seemed like a decent fella, average to poor by foot
Tyson: perma injured, didn't really make sense even at the time
Hall: pace, could find the ball and knew how to turn it over
Bonar: injured a lot, was ok at times but never nailed down a spot
Walker: serviceable, filled a need, slow as a wet week
Bosenavulagi: was the makeweight in the Sleevo deal, a bit meh
Stephenson: talented, soft, inconsistent, could still come good again hopefully
Young: ok at times but nothing to write home about
Coleman-Jones: injured a lot, has played 1.5 good games at North, looks a bust
Logue: looked good before his knee injury
Tucker: seems a solid citizen/good trainer type, probably more of a placeholder until someone else emerges

Bit early to make a proper judgement on the 2023 group, so just going off what we've seen so far.

Fisher: doesn't look great as a defender, a move up the ground might help.
Nyuon: very raw, shows a few good signs, handy backup at this stage
Stephens: horribly one-sided, form has been average, could be in line for a cat food sponsorship deal.
I can basically sum up your post with this diagram!
Most of those players are 2 of these 3 categories.
With a bit more effort, we should be able to recruit someone who meets all three criteria.

1714013288811.png

With a bit more effort, we should be able to recruit someone who meets all three criteria.

View attachment 1970280
Can we get underperforming high pick in there somewhere?

Lobb is a 31 year old pea heart. The last thing we need is more pea hearts from other clubs that offer nothing in the way of training standards or leadership.
The man is a hostage in his own home.
He comes to North and he would be a broken man mentally.

Pain at home. Pain at work. He can stay the Dogs problem.

View attachment 1970280
This diagram did raise a chuckle.

Polec ticks the three main boxes but was pre-Rawlings. He’d be the spiritual father of your diagram.

F##k, but I’d love to have some positives to discuss about North. It’s probably going to be the debut of Hardiman and then of Sausage George that I’ll focus on.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back