News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be a great night , Beva is a terrific MC
It's a fantastic night.

Beva is an awesome host.........he's an absolute walking Sants encyclopedia.

And has a razor sharp sense of humor.

He also hates a beer and a scotch !!!!!!!!

BIG TIME.

;) ;) ;)

It's a fantastic night.

Beva is an awesome host.........he's an absolute walking Sants encyclopedia.

And has a razor sharp sense of humor.

He also hates a beer and a scotch !!!!!!!!

BIG TIME.

;) ;) ;)

i booked it

Reasonable article but if punters can't understand that our inability to win clearances and CP's is what's killing us then l can't give them much legitimacy. Even at full strength Port would have us out gunned.
Port sub. 3x AA, 2x B&F, 352 games, 204 goals.
Saints sub: less than 1 game 🤔
Crouch averaged 27 touches a week last year and we recruited Dow to help in the middle. Just bad luck they are injured.

First Crack - wish King and Joey were on the tribunal.
Higgins has a very good case to challenge. Both believe the report was not right, based on Allir contributing it by taking his own foot off the ground trying to kick it and the momentum of his own body.
Clear common sense case.

But, as we know, common sense is not the strong suit of the AFL, and especially when the minnow clubs are involved.

SAINTS ARE BACK IN AN ‘AWKWARD’ REALITY. A TRADE CASH SPLASH CAN FIX IT

There’s still 16 rounds left, but you sense cashed-up St Kilda will soon face its most critical off-season in years.

Because eight rounds into the 2024 season, the Saints appear to be back in familiar territory: No man’s land.

The Saints’ 10-point loss to Port Adelaide on Friday night was their fourth by 10 points or less so far this year. In a spin-heavy post-match press conference, coach Ross Lyon said he believed his side “took a step forward” while conceding they have a lot of hard work ahead of them.

But as dual premiership Kangaroo David King told SEN’s Crunch Time on Saturday morning: “That was the greatest 10-point smashing I’ve ever seen … No matter which angle you watch that game from, Port were always winning that game.

“I think the scoreboard lies. I don’t want to hear anyone talk to me about the collective volume of how much St Kilda has lost by this year, ‘oh they’ve lost four games by a total of 23 points’ – I don’t want to hear that because that just lies to you, that result last night.”

And those comments came from a footy pundit who pre-season thought the Saints had the potential to challenge for the top four.

But after a third straight loss to take its record to 2-5, St Kilda’s chances of making the finals are now long, let alone a top-four berth.

“They’re no hope (of top four) at the moment – and then you start looking at where to from here,” King said.

“It’s tough when you’re in this situation.”

Derm questions rare Ross Lyon excuse | 01:59
Lyon said it was “pretty clear to most experts what we’ve got to build out to compete with top-four quality”. That would surely be around generating more scores and a stronger forward-half game, as well as improving their contested possession output.

The reality, though, is that Lyon can only work with what he’s got. And what’s clear to most experts is that Lyon doesn’t have the cattle to elevate St Kilda into the upper echelon of teams.

Lyon pointed to how Port Adelaide in recent years had aimed to “win and rebuild”, adding: “That’s what we’re trying to do … win and run a dual-narrative.”

But it’s hard to rebuild on the run when you finish on the fringe of the eight consistently – which is what St Kilda did between seasons 2020 and 2023 (6th, 10th, 10th and 6th).

King said the Saints had “a better list than last year”, but added it was tough to get “multiple high-end picks or players into your organisation” when finishing mid-table so often.

“They’re stuck in an awkward situation where they’re really not good enough to take this group to the promised land and they’re too good to fall down the bottom of the tree – and he (Lyon) is too good a coach to allow that to happen because they don’t believe in rebuilds,” King said.

The Saints, to their credit, have attacked the draft hard in recent years, bringing in the likes of Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Mitch Owens, Marcus Windhager, Mattaes Phillipou and Darcy Wilson. All those players have shown promising signs across the past three years.

They had seven players aged 21 or under against Port Adelaide on Friday night. As Lyon said post-game: “We feel like we’ve got some youth that we’re going to continue to push through, but we know ourselves really well.”

Port overcome injuries to sink Saints | 02:23
But what the Saints do have is cap space – and lots of it, compared to other clubs in the competition.

Put simply, they need to land a big fish at season’s end. They were close to luring Jordan De Goey a couple of years ago before the star midfielder opted to stay at Collingwood.

Now is the time to strike – ideally in the midfield.

“They don’t have a midfield torchbearer. That’s what worries me,” King said.

“They don’t have ‘the guy’. (Jack) Steele’s a very good player and is as honest as the day is long, but he’s not ‘the guy’.”

The Saints have already been strongly linked to Brisbane’s Hugh McCluggage, who’s eligible for free agency at season’s end, while North Melbourne midfielder Luke Davies-Uniacke is also on St Kilda’s radar, according to rival clubs spoken to by foxfooty.com.au.

After a blistering past few seasons, Davies-Uniacke’s impact has dipped slightly at the start of 2024 amid the Kangaroos’ horrendous start. But as Fox Footy’s Gerard Healy said of Davies-Uniacke on Saturday: “When he gets going, he’s destructive with his kicking.”

Davies-Uniacke is contracted until the end of 2025 and will be a restricted free agent next year. Intriguingly, he’s reportedly put off contract talks with the Kangaroos.

Considering the ‘sameness’ of the Saints’ midfield brigade, the explosive Davies-Uniacke would be an ideal inclusion.

Higgins in hot water after Aliir tackle | 00:29
McCluggage’s future is more pressing, considering he’s unsigned beyond this season.

Brisbane has cap space and has reportedly offered McCluggage a six-year deal to remain in Queensland. But other clubs are offering as much as $1.3 million per season – and speculation is one of them is St Kilda.

Although the sense is McCluggage is unlikely to be wooed to a rival club, with triple premiership Lion Jonathan Brown “reasonably confident” the smooth-moving midfielder will stay.

Asked if there was “a walkaway price” for McCluggage, Brown told Fox Footy: “There probably is. I don’t think they (the Lions) are going to go to $1.3 million. Brisbane have done really well managing their salary cap and they’ll want to keep this group together. There’s going to have to be some sacrifice made for senior players.

“He’ll be well paid by Brisbane. The offer will be up there, don’t worry about that.

“I think he’s a ‘sticker’ … he’s settled well in Brisbane. I think it’s more likely he’ll stay.”

Either way, St Kilda must – and surely will – be at the forefront of the queue for Davies-Uniacke, McCluggage and some of this year’s other big trade targets.

“Until they get ‘that’ player, they’ll be here (mid-tier),” King said.

SAINTS ARE BACK IN AN ‘AWKWARD’ REALITY. A TRADE CASH SPLASH CAN FIX IT

There’s still 16 rounds left, but you sense cashed-up St Kilda will soon face its most critical off-season in years.

Because eight rounds into the 2024 season, the Saints appear to be back in familiar territory: No man’s land.

The Saints’ 10-point loss to Port Adelaide on Friday night was their fourth by 10 points or less so far this year. In a spin-heavy post-match press conference, coach Ross Lyon said he believed his side “took a step forward” while conceding they have a lot of hard work ahead of them.

But as dual premiership Kangaroo David King told SEN’s Crunch Time on Saturday morning: “That was the greatest 10-point smashing I’ve ever seen … No matter which angle you watch that game from, Port were always winning that game.

“I think the scoreboard lies. I don’t want to hear anyone talk to me about the collective volume of how much St Kilda has lost by this year, ‘oh they’ve lost four games by a total of 23 points’ – I don’t want to hear that because that just lies to you, that result last night.”

And those comments came from a footy pundit who pre-season thought the Saints had the potential to challenge for the top four.

But after a third straight loss to take its record to 2-5, St Kilda’s chances of making the finals are now long, let alone a top-four berth.

“They’re no hope (of top four) at the moment – and then you start looking at where to from here,” King said.

“It’s tough when you’re in this situation.”

Derm questions rare Ross Lyon excuse | 01:59
Lyon said it was “pretty clear to most experts what we’ve got to build out to compete with top-four quality”. That would surely be around generating more scores and a stronger forward-half game, as well as improving their contested possession output.

The reality, though, is that Lyon can only work with what he’s got. And what’s clear to most experts is that Lyon doesn’t have the cattle to elevate St Kilda into the upper echelon of teams.

Lyon pointed to how Port Adelaide in recent years had aimed to “win and rebuild”, adding: “That’s what we’re trying to do … win and run a dual-narrative.”

But it’s hard to rebuild on the run when you finish on the fringe of the eight consistently – which is what St Kilda did between seasons 2020 and 2023 (6th, 10th, 10th and 6th).

King said the Saints had “a better list than last year”, but added it was tough to get “multiple high-end picks or players into your organisation” when finishing mid-table so often.

“They’re stuck in an awkward situation where they’re really not good enough to take this group to the promised land and they’re too good to fall down the bottom of the tree – and he (Lyon) is too good a coach to allow that to happen because they don’t believe in rebuilds,” King said.

The Saints, to their credit, have attacked the draft hard in recent years, bringing in the likes of Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Mitch Owens, Marcus Windhager, Mattaes Phillipou and Darcy Wilson. All those players have shown promising signs across the past three years.

They had seven players aged 21 or under against Port Adelaide on Friday night. As Lyon said post-game: “We feel like we’ve got some youth that we’re going to continue to push through, but we know ourselves really well.”

Port overcome injuries to sink Saints | 02:23
But what the Saints do have is cap space – and lots of it, compared to other clubs in the competition.

Put simply, they need to land a big fish at season’s end. They were close to luring Jordan De Goey a couple of years ago before the star midfielder opted to stay at Collingwood.

Now is the time to strike – ideally in the midfield.

“They don’t have a midfield torchbearer. That’s what worries me,” King said.

“They don’t have ‘the guy’. (Jack) Steele’s a very good player and is as honest as the day is long, but he’s not ‘the guy’.”

The Saints have already been strongly linked to Brisbane’s Hugh McCluggage, who’s eligible for free agency at season’s end, while North Melbourne midfielder Luke Davies-Uniacke is also on St Kilda’s radar, according to rival clubs spoken to by foxfooty.com.au.

After a blistering past few seasons, Davies-Uniacke’s impact has dipped slightly at the start of 2024 amid the Kangaroos’ horrendous start. But as Fox Footy’s Gerard Healy said of Davies-Uniacke on Saturday: “When he gets going, he’s destructive with his kicking.”

Davies-Uniacke is contracted until the end of 2025 and will be a restricted free agent next year. Intriguingly, he’s reportedly put off contract talks with the Kangaroos.

Considering the ‘sameness’ of the Saints’ midfield brigade, the explosive Davies-Uniacke would be an ideal inclusion.

Higgins in hot water after Aliir tackle | 00:29
McCluggage’s future is more pressing, considering he’s unsigned beyond this season.

Brisbane has cap space and has reportedly offered McCluggage a six-year deal to remain in Queensland. But other clubs are offering as much as $1.3 million per season – and speculation is one of them is St Kilda.

Although the sense is McCluggage is unlikely to be wooed to a rival club, with triple premiership Lion Jonathan Brown “reasonably confident” the smooth-moving midfielder will stay.

Asked if there was “a walkaway price” for McCluggage, Brown told Fox Footy: “There probably is. I don’t think they (the Lions) are going to go to $1.3 million. Brisbane have done really well managing their salary cap and they’ll want to keep this group together. There’s going to have to be some sacrifice made for senior players.

“He’ll be well paid by Brisbane. The offer will be up there, don’t worry about that.

“I think he’s a ‘sticker’ … he’s settled well in Brisbane. I think it’s more likely he’ll stay.”

Either way, St Kilda must – and surely will – be at the forefront of the queue for Davies-Uniacke, McCluggage and some of this year’s other big trade targets.

“Until they get ‘that’ player, they’ll be here (mid-tier),” King said.

Its hard to get multiple high end picks no matter where you finish.
If you bottom out you get ONE high end pick.
You only get "multiple" high end picks if you are gifted them.

Sums up our predicament well and proves there’s nearly as much equality in the AFL as the English premier league.

While our recruiting has been terrible for 10+ years (trading pick for Jake Carlisle 😳), the club has targeted some excellent players who would have been a huge success had they been able to land them. But with our inability to attract the best, we have had to get desperate and over pay average players to turn their heads.

Now that the club has seemingly got their s**t together on the recruiting and development front we need to be patient and keep hitting the draft. Once the foundations of the list are set, do as the big clubs do and aggressively prey on the expansion clubs. Push their salary cap through the roof and pick off emerging talent early without paying overs.

Its hard to get multiple high end picks no matter where you finish.
If you bottom out you get ONE high end pick.
You only get "multiple" high end picks if you are gifted them.

A pick inside the top 6 is likely to give you a much better chance than pick 18 still. We need a down year to draft a star mid and chase a free agent or trade of an elite player.

A pick inside the top 6 is likely to give you a much better chance than pick 18 still. We need a down year to draft a star mid and chase a free agent or trade of an elite player.
We just need to pull a Melbourne and cash in on the opportunity. Maybe bring in the FFRDP into a top 10 and get our Kosi Pickett

A down year just gives us the opportunity to pick at the high end of the draft. Still no guarantee they make it, or we pick the right person. I think we will get better draft returns if we can nail our development program.

I think it’s the most important part of the puzzle now.

The Sandringham arrangement does not fill me with a lot of confidence to be honest. I think it needs a complete overhaul.

As always, I hope I’m wrong, but it feels like the performance standards at Sandy are so low that good players can often go backwards if they spend too much time down there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely don’t want a down year but we need to continue hitting the draft whilst bringing in players of the right age demographic to improve our list.
Henry & Dow are a good start (damn shame we haven’t had them available)…reality is we’ve got a number of list needs, so hopefully SOS & Dalrymple can recruit wisely!

Wow, 3 weeks. Farcical.

We know he shouldn't be suspended for that, but we have to look like we're in charge and doing something.
Let's grossly overstate the penalty so when they challenge it he'll still get a week minimum and we can claim the decision was upheld.

I hope we are arguing for dismissal, trying to downgrade won't work. hope he gets off but knowing how belligerent the process is and how the AFL needs to provide zero-proof, am not expecting a reduction

Sums up our predicament well and proves there’s nearly as much equality in the AFL as the English premier league.

While our recruiting has been terrible for 10+ years (trading pick for Jake Carlisle ), the club has targeted some excellent players who would have been a huge success had they been able to land them. But with our inability to attract the best, we have had to get desperate and over pay average players to turn their heads.

Now that the club has seemingly got their s**t together on the recruiting and development front we need to be patient and keep hitting the draft. Once the foundations of the list are set, do as the big clubs do and aggressively prey on the expansion clubs. Push their salary cap through the roof and pick off emerging talent early without paying overs.
We are cooked. Good enough to be competitive but never actually afforded a position to challenge.

They want us treading water.

We literally would be bottom 4 possibly last for the AFLs "care factor".

A down year just gives us the opportunity to pick at the high end of the draft. Still no guarantee they make it, or we pick the right person. I think we will get better draft returns if we can nail our development program.

I think it’s the most important part of the puzzle now.

The Sandringham arrangement does not fill me with a lot of confidence to be honest. I think it needs a complete overhaul.

As always, I hope I’m wrong, but it feels like the performance standards at Sandy are so low that good players can often go backwards if they spend too much time down there.

Development doesn't build talent or the intangibles. We have gone out and grabbed Dalrymple who is regarded as one of the best draft day recruiters in footy. He needs to make hay in this one. I reckon we could have pick 6 to 10 or so and that really puts us in that range to grab a Serong type.

Sandy has been a victim of our senior injury list this year, they look better set up at the moment. Having zero mids most weeks is pretty short management though.

I wouldn't mind looking at that kid Vesaly from Sandy in the MSD. He looks one to watch. Very good forward but is meant to be a big bodied mid.

Or trade a later pick along with a future first to get that earlier pick.
( As long as we don't get the next Paddy or Billings ).

Or trade a later pick along with a future first to get that earlier pick.
( As long as we don't get the next Paddy or Billings ).

That's okay of you are trying to move up to specifically target a players like Melbourne did in Pickett and Jackson but you have to nail them. GWS and Gold Coast were always good to trade with because they has so many good players and picks they weren't careful with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back