Position 2024 Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't own Hopper or Setterfield last year.
Averaged 93 and 90 went up about 100k after 7 games.
Did people who started them happy with them?
Considering similar priced mids

Hesistent on Steele. I think Ross slimmed him down to much. Remember him saying he lost 5kgs to improve his running. Reminded me of Cripps in 2020 and it had the same outcome. His running improved but it took away from his main strengths.
Looks like he's put size back on according to regular track watchers on our board.

Didn't own Hopper or Setterfield last year.
Averaged 93 and 90 went up about 100k after 7 games.
Did people who started them happy with them?
Considering similar priced mids

Yeah started both and was worth it.

Hopper was so obvious though. Don't think there's anyone that's so clearly a lock as a true midprice mid this fast.

Setters was more role based just got lucky, you need to be able to get off them at a moments notice.

Yeah started both and was worth it.

Hopper was so obvious though. Don't think there's anyone that's so clearly a lock as a true midprice mid this fast.

Setters was more role based just got lucky, you need to be able to get off them at a moments notice.
How about Adams(M/F) .....played mostly fwd and his scores dropped accordingly......now going to the Swans (Rd12 bye) and supposedly more mid time.....@ 420,800........ideal F3/4 IMO......

How about Adams(M/F) .....played mostly fwd and his scores dropped accordingly......now going to the Swans (Rd12 bye) and supposedly more mid time.....@ 420,800........ideal F3/4 IMO......

Another year older and has poor injury history and also R0 player so has an early bye. I've made the decision to avoid any players that have had previous injuries no matter what price they are.

I reckon Josh Dunkley will be a great sneaky pick. Everyone always sleeps on the blokes who lose DPP.

I reckon Josh Dunkley will be a great sneaky pick. Everyone always sleeps on the blokes who lose DPP.

I agree but the early bye is a downer but could be a good upgrade later in the season after the Round 12 bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s so tempting to not pick Bont with his price but then you go look at his scores last year.. prime Ablett numbers. Does he back that up?

It’s so tempting to not pick Bont with his price but then you go look at his scores last year.. prime Ablett numbers. Does he back that up?

If he won the Brownlow I wouldn't pick him but there is nothing to say that he can't go 130+ next season

Yeah agree he's close. Hopper was cheaper with a clearer role though.

I'm struggling to see any clear must picks this year in the mids.

$725k is too much for me. One bad score and he loses $80k.

There are so many other options in midfield too. In a GNR year I'm happy to skip Bont and get an extra premo. If it was MPM you need the safer premo's imo.

Can see both sides. I’m really torn. Last year was his first year he didn’t have to play forward at all, plus he just turned 28 which is the absolute prime. I guess his price could drop with a bad score, but when’s that score come? Only went under 100 once last year for an 89. I just know from previous experience that if you don’t start someone like him they are bloody hard to get, I suffered it one year when I didn’t start Gawn..

Might depend on his start. These are his first 6 games and what he scored last year on them:

Melbourne 107
Gold Coast 124
West Coast 162
Geelong 113, 146
Essendon 126
St Kilda 125

903 @ 129 average.

Can see both sides. I’m really torn. Last year was his first year he didn’t have to play forward at all, plus he just turned 28 which is the absolute prime. I guess his price could drop with a bad score, but when’s that score come? Only went under 100 once last year for an 89. I just know from previous experience that if you don’t start someone like him they are bloody hard to get, I suffered it one year when I didn’t start Gawn..

Might depend on his start. These are his first 6 games and what he scored last year on them:

Melbourne 107
Gold Coast 124
West Coast 162
Geelong 113, 146
Essendon 126
St Kilda 125

903 @ 129 average.
How much value do you add to a Permacaptain? Who else could you assign that moniker to? English is the other I guess, but you can't afford both, at least I can't and given the value of Gawn and Grundy, plus the cheaper options of Flynn and Xerri as opposed to very little value options in the mids then something has to give. For me that's English.

How much value do you add to a Permacaptain? Who else could you assign that moniker to? English is the other I guess, but you can't afford both, at least I can't and given the value of Gawn and Grundy, plus the cheaper options of Flynn and Xerri as opposed to very little value options in the mids then something has to give. For me that's English.
Bont or English seem standout captaincy options, particularly with Oliver in the wars. The Opening Round fiasco and SC's solution to it has created a real dilemma about selecting premium players from the 8 affected team, particularly with the early byes.

Not starting Tom Green or Nicky D as playing one less scoring game over a season is a downer. Additionally Green shares a round 3 bye with Flanders and Himmelberg, and Daicos could cop some early tagging attention.

Looking at a structure with Bont/ Butters/ Brayshaw/ Walsh as starting mids. Some decent (vc) options amongst them, plus Stewart.

Rd 2 missing Walsh and ZWilliams
Rd 3 Himmelberg/ Flanders/ Cadman
Rd 5 Grundy/ Sheldrick?
Rd 6 Gawn/ Windsor/ Gibcus

Bont or English seem standout captaincy options, particularly with Oliver in the wars. The Opening Round fiasco and SC's solution to it has created a real dilemma about selecting premium players from the 8 affected team, particularly with the early byes.

Not starting Tom Green or Nicky D as playing one less scoring game over a season is a downer. Additionally Green shares a round 3 bye with Flanders and Himmelberg, and Daicos could cop some early tagging attention.

Looking at a structure with Bont/ Butters/ Brayshaw/ Walsh as starting mids. Some decent (vc) options amongst them, plus Stewart.

Rd 2 missing Walsh and ZWilliams
Rd 3 Himmelberg/ Flanders/ Cadman
Rd 5 Grundy/ Sheldrick?
Rd 6 Gawn/ Windsor/ Gibcus
As in all rounds but more particularly in byes the nailing of the captain choice is imperative, I'm not sure yet as I have to look at matchups and so on but Bont is firmly on my radar. He won't be a great deal cheaper throughout the season and then there's the added difficulty of raising enough cash at the right time.

I'm not worried about starting any of the lower priced players who have any early bye as the pts cost will be minimal.

A bit surprised at the lack of Wardlaw.

The obvious counter arguments are that he has had issues with his hammies, and he plays for a team that hasn’t won very often for quite a long time.

But he’s also an elite first rotation midfielder for less than 370k, and he’s had an exemplary run through the preseason thus far. His ToG will shoot up considerably in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back