List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

If we’re gonna pick one of our VFL players I’d go Cooper MacDonald, he’s been most impressive for me
Hutchison hasn’t stood out to me but seems to have a lot of hype

Our vfl team looks pretty average though so there should be better players from other teams out there

If we’re gonna pick one of our VFL players I’d go Cooper MacDonald, he’s been most impressive for me
Hutchison hasn’t stood out to me but seems to have a lot of hype

Our vfl team looks pretty average though so there should be better players from other teams out there
He mustn't be a good enough athlete for AFL, but I think Glover is the best player in that team.

I say it every draft, every year. Best available or don’t bother
I'd normally agree with you, but if they liked Teakle and were close to listing him, they should add him now. We've just got no depth in our talls.

I'd normally agree with you, but if they liked Teakle and were close to listing him, they should add him now. We've just got no depth in our talls.
If we don’t rate long, teakle is a no brainer for me. If only to help our young kids develop with a ruck, because begg is a huge reason we are getting killed in clearances

A player manager seems to think pick 1 or 2..

Yeah we won't get anywhere near him, unfortunately. Only clubs that dont have a pick are Geelong, GWS, Hawthorn, port, saints, swans, Eagles

Trent McMicking knew who had taken the spectacular mark even before the commentator shouted the player’s name.
He was watching the livestream of last Sunday’s Coburg and Collingwood VFL match at the City Oval when a Magpie soared high into the air in the second quarter and brought down a grab Jeremy Howe would not have sniffed at.

McMicking had seen it before.

He knew it was new Magpie Jack Hutchinson.

“I was actually waiting for him to take one like that … four deep and up he goes and just rises over them,’’ McMicking says.

“I heard he’d taken one in a practice match. I was waiting for him to do it in a game.’’

McMicking is coach of Gippsland league club Leongatha and Hutchinson, playing for Wonthaggi, came up against his team in the 2022 and ’23 seasons.

In a Leongatha-Wonthaggi final, Hutchinson took a thrilling high mark at Moe.

Well before then, people had taken to calling him “Jumping Jack’’.

In his first season in the VFL, the 22-year-old has shown enough natural talent to come into contention for the AFL mid-season draft.

Indeed, one player agent believes he will be the No. 1 or 2 pick.

The 190cm forward has kicked seven goals from four matches, including two against Coburg, one of them from a set-shot after the soaring mark.

He’s averaged 10.7 possessions.

Hutchinson and teammate Ryan Sparkes moved to Melbourne and signed with the VFL Magpies at the encouragement of their Wonthaggi coach, Collingwood premiership player Jarryd Blair.

Living at South Yarra, he is juggling football with his work as a chippie.

McMicking has taken an interest in Hutchinson’s season and believes the “bits and pieces’’ he has displayed represent enough potential to prompt an AFL club to draft him next month.

“I actually think he’s a better high forward than a deep forward, even though he takes the hangers,’’ he says. “He’s got the tank and the athleticism to play further up the ground at a higher level, I reckon, a wing or forward flank.

“If he was able to become a full-time, professional athlete/footballer, he’d improve on what he’s got, which I reckon is everything you need to play at the level.

“Imagine if he didn’t have to go to work at seven in the morning, go home at four in the afternoon and then go to footy.’’

Not long after Hutchinson began training at Collingwood, Pies veteran Tom Wilson sent CODE Sports a message: “This kid can play.’’

Wilson, a five-time best and fairest at the Northern Bullants, says his teammate “has definitely got attributes’’.

“He’s got speed. The most impressive thing with him is how explosive he is. He gets from Point A to Point B really quickly,’’ Wilson says.

“The other part I love about him is there’s so much more room for growth in him – being in a full-time training environment would clearly speed up the process - and being able to utilise the attributes that he’s got. He’s exciting, and he’s got game sense to go with it.’’

Wilson calls Hutchinson a “quiet, unassuming, humble kid’’ with a resolve to “get better every day’’.

“He’s got some expectations of himself. Not that he projects it outwardly to the group, but you can tell he’s a pretty determined kid,’’ he says.

The right-footer started his football at Inverloch-Kongwak in the West Gippsland league, reaching the senior team in 2019.

Crossing to the stronger Gippsland league, he booted 38 goals for Wonthaggi Power in 2022 and was named in the team of the year.

He booted another 34 goals last year.

Wonthaggi president Peter Liddle is not surprised that Hutchinson has gained attention early in the VFL season.

“He’s got the X-factor,’’ he says.

“When he’s on, he’s on. Great kid, real good kid. He and young Sparkes are both good kids.’’

Inverloch-Kongwak coach Tom Hams played with Hutchinson in 2021, when the young Sea Eagle was named on a forward flank in the West Gippsland team of the year.

When Hams learned Hutchinson was joining Collingwood this season, he had a bet with a mate that he would be drafted this year.

Chances are he might get an early pay-out.

Hams says Hutchinson is a “late bloomer – he wasn’t that tall when he was younger – and stacked full of raw talent’’.

He watched him play in the Gippsland grand final last year.

“Wonthaggi didn’t have a great game but he had an ‘almost’ game where, if a few things had gone the other way, he could have dragged them along and brought them a lot closer than the end result,’’ Hams says.

Noting his former teammate’s rise from West Gippsland to Gippsland and now to the VFL and potentially an AFL list, he says Hutchinson is “one of those players who goes up with every level’’.

“They get better. The game’s more about instinct and ‘Hutchy’s’ best footy is played on instinct. He’s a super-exciting talent, super-raw, and he’ll only get better in a professional system.’’

McMicking was an assistant coach under Gary Ayres at VFL club Port Melbourne when he first encountered Hutchinson.

He saw him play twice for Inverloch-Kongwak in 2021, was impressed and arranged for him to train at Port.

“I rang ‘Ayresy’ and the crew and said, ‘We’ve got to get this kid down’,’’ McMicking recalls.

“He was jumping out of the ground playing as a high forward and just dominating.

“He trained with us on Tuesday nights – and we nearly played him in one of the games. Then Covid kicked in and the season fell over.’’
When McMicking was appointed coach of Leongatha in 2022, he was keen to recruit Hutchinson, but Wonthaggi won his signature.

“You were always extremely nervous coaching against him, because you didn’t know what he was going to do,’’ he says.

“He was capable of anything. He showed that in the second semi last year when he kicked four goals in pretty ordinary conditions and won the game for them. With this kid, nothing surprises me.’’

Talls? God forbid!

Teakle & a key position player would be nice..
Why would we pick up a guy who failed to impress and we then overlooked?
Unless of course he’s happy to take a 6 month contract- which I doubt.
I’d rather take a 6 month gamble on another Ruck, who may have more potential.

Last edited:
So we go for another Ruck, without Teakles known deficiencies. Trying another player just makes more sense.
Are there any better available? Teakle was alright at AFL level last year and is dominant at state league level this year

It depends how we rated him and how close we were to listing him. Their stated plan was to only take 2 and leave a spot open for MSD. But they must have liked the 3 they took. They may have also liked Teakle, but it's all a guess.

I do think we need a back up ruck. Frampton is currently important to the defence and those who were a chance to play ruck forward have fallen in a hole or in Kreugers case stayed in a hole. Both ruck and the forward line are in trouble if one of our rucks get injured and it's a position that cops a lot of injuries.

But who knows, with Eyre back soon and Dean going well in the 2s perhaps they will be willing to move Billy. Or maybe McStays recovery is going well enough that they think it's unnecessary.

One reason would be that he knows our system, coaches and the team - so there's a shorter ramp-up time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steene is out for around 3 months after toe surgery, so it increases our likelihood of picking a ruckman.
First concussion, then a serious toe injury - he (and we) can't take a trick.
We'll probably have another look Teakle, as he's apparently playing well in the WAFL.

I watched it and from what I saw I had a few observations

Geordie Payne looked good, I think he had 5 shots at goal and scored 2.3 184cm small defender playing as a small forward (pretty sure we interviewed him)

Oskar Smartt looked really good, I think he kicked 3 goals from 4 or 5 shots he was a tough little nugget 180cm small forward

Ben Hopkins looked really good, kind of reminded me of Angus Hastie 190cm rebounding defender

Will McLachlan also looked really good as a high half forward at 184cm

I thought Remy Maclean had some nice moments as a mobile key forward at 196cm kind of played like Archer Reid

My pick of the bunch was Lachie McArthur kind of reminded me of a 190cm Ginnivan but can also play in defence and quick (kicked 3)

Did not really notice Riak Andrew or Ryan Eyre they did not do much from what I could see.

My 1,2,3 would be 1 Will McLachlan, 2 Oskar Smartt, 3 Ben Hopkins - also would be happy to take a punt on Geordie Payne

I understand most of these players are small to medium forwards or rebounding defenders that we have an absolute abundance of but I think these were the best players of that game. The rucks, key forwards and key backs didn't really stand out to me.

Now that I’ve watched it I actually really liked the games of Kade De La Rue and Tarkyn O’Leary.

Reckon they both offer something interesting.

De La Rue showed the same precision skills and good decision making.

O’Leary, despite his size - which is supposed to be 180cm now, just offers that extreme burst of speed to go with tidy disposal

Hard to tell without knowing Teakles deficiencies which caused us to overlook him.
The big one to me would be overhead marking, a thing we like in Cameron & Cox.

But he knows us, is serviceable at AFL level, and is big. I'd be fine with him on a shorter deal

What is Tom Downie like? Seems to always put up monster stats in VFL whenever i take a look

Now that I’ve watched it I actually really liked the games of Kade De La Rue and Tarkyn O’Leary.

Reckon they both offer something interesting.

De La Rue showed the same precision skills and good decision making.

O’Leary, despite his size - which is supposed to be 180cm now, just offers that extreme burst of speed to go with tidy disposal
We must be due for another Tarkyn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back