List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It pretty much killed my old club Preston. We were huge in the local area and are steeped in VFA history.
Preston? I've always pictured you slugging it out in the Werribee sewers. I used to love Williamstown when I was growing up. Just so full of characters - Barry Round, Rickman, Swan, Ghazi, Pastore, Danny DelRe. You were one of the bloody good villains standing in their way. Great club, but you're now bordering on Carlton in my eyes.

I hate that the AFL killed the VFA.

Last edited:

They're not amateurs - they'd lose their entire team. More likely leagues like Northern, I'd be guessing.
Yeah probably join the FNL leagues of East, West, South and North. Much easier to use creative accounting there and attract star players.

Preston? I've always pictured you slugging it out in the Werribee sewers. I used to love Williamstown when I was growing up. Just so full of characters - Barry Round, Rickman, Swan, Ghazi, Pastore, Danny DelRe. You were one of the bloody good villains standing in their way. Great club, but you're now bordering on Carlton in my eyes.

I hate that the AFL killed the VFA.
I married into werribee. I played in the 1984 premiership against Frankston. I went alright fonz, I even played in the state side against the VAFA. But it was so long ago

I married into werribee. I played in the 1984 premiership against Frankston. I went alright fonz, I even played in the state side against the VAFA. But it was so long ago

You must have been very handy - you would have played against Terry Wheeler - what about the other Willi guys I listed, or were they a bit later?

I played with quite a few ex Collingwood players also. Probably said too much already. They were great days with decent crowds.
It really wa a great comp. Just full of personality. I think there was something in 16 a side as well. I'd love the AFL to go "Our history comes from the VFA - we can go 16 a side without destroying tradition." It'd be a better game for with a couple less out there.

From the north board:

YOUNG GUNS PUSH THEIR CASE

A host of AFL mid-season draft prospects made the most of another chance to impress recruiters in the second Young Guns game last Sunday.

The Young Guns scored a thumping 69-point win over Vic Country at Craigieburn, with some of the forwards proving standouts.

Essendon VFL forward Oskar Smartt spent significant time through the midfield and was the leading disposal winner on the ground for the Young Guns with 22 touches, along with six marks, five clearances and two goals.

The performance came after the 180cm Smartt — who was overlooked in last year’s draft — had booted three goals in the first Young Guns game against Vic Metro.

Eastern Ranges product Remy MacLean also did his draft prospects no harm as the athletic 196cm key forward finished with 4.2 from 12 disposals and six marks.

Geelong Falcons ruckman Joe Pike kicked three goals from 10 disposals, while also having 20 hitouts sharing ruck duties with Iliro Smit.

Pike’s Geelong Falcons teammate Liam Kershaw and former Falcons graduate Tobyn Murray were among other Young Guns to draw praise for their performances.

WA FORWARD ON MID-SEASON RADAR

Clubs are keeping a close eye on West Australian key forward Jasper Scaife, who has quickly emerged as a mid-season draft prospect.

The 197cm West Perth product was this week named in a 34-man WAFL State squad ahead of their clash with South Australia at Optus Stadium on May 19.

That match looms as a final audition ahead of the mid-season draft on May 29.

Scaife, 20, if a former Fremantle Next Generation Academy member who was overlooked in his draft year in 2022.

He kicked 22 goals from 16 WAFL Reserves games last year, before cracking a senior WAFL debut in round 1 this season.

Scaife has gone on to average 11.8 disposals, 6.5 marks (1.8 contested) and has kicked eight goals from his first four senior WAFL matches to catch the attention of scouts.

Former Port Adelaide ruckman Brynn Teakle, who was a train-on player with Collingwood over pre-season, has also been included in the WAFL State squad after a strong start to the season with East Fremantle.

Teakle is also eligible to be selected in the mid-season draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From todays West Australian:

Ruckman Brynn Teakle took a big step to earning a second chance at AFL level after dominating Subiaco in a 57-point win which has their defence firmly back on track.

Teakle booted three goals, had 48 hit-outs and 16 disposals against the Lions in the 17.7 (109) to 7.10 (52) victory as they look to win consecutive premierships for the first time since 1945-46.

It was the latest in a series of monster performances for the Sharks since returning from his six-game stint at Port Adelaide, before being delisted last year. Teakle was unlucky to miss out on a spot on Collingwood’s list after training with them over the summer but will likely get a second chance in the AFL when the mid-season rookie draft is held on May 29.

Ruckman Brynn Teakle took a big step to earning a second chance at AFL level after dominating Subiaco in a 57-point win which has their defence firmly back on track.

Teakle booted three goals, had 48 hit-outs and 16 disposals against the Lions in the 17.7 (109) to 7.10 (52) victory as they look to win consecutive premierships for the first time since 1945-46.

It was the latest in a series of monster performances for the Sharks since returning from his six-game stint at Port Adelaide, before being delisted last year. Teakle was unlucky to miss out on a spot on Collingwood’s list after training with them over the summer but will likely get a second chance in the AFL when the mid-season rookie draft is held on May 29.

Could do worse then him

Low quality game. Need to watch more before making a call. He is a step up from Begg, though.

Both McMahon and Ruscoe are decent players.

Controversial take but McMahon is better than Kreuger and Ruscoe is better than Dean.

Krueger (if he wasn't made of glass) is a much better fit for our game style than McMahon

At this stage I kind of agree with Ruscoe. However next time around with the side settled, Dean might look much better. Dean also had two super tough games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back