List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Krueger (if he wasn't made of glass) is a much better fit for our game style than McMahon

At this stage I kind of agree with Ruscoe. However next time around with the side settled, Dean might look much better. Dean also had two super tough games.
Agree on Dean. He was thrown in to a backline which has a new backline coach, learning new systems, no Murphy & when the whole team was playing poorly against 2 of the superior teams in the comp, after having only played a couple of VFL games last year in the past 2 years...!

Bit harsh to judge Dean on those couple of games, imo. I'm sure he learnt a lot though, which is so important for his development.

Krueger (if he wasn't made of glass) is a much better fit for our game style than McMahon

At this stage I kind of agree with Ruscoe. However next time around with the side settled, Dean might look much better. Dean also had two super tough games.
Dean v Ruscoe has always been a mystery to me.
Unless they considered Dean more capable of playing the intercept role i really didn't see why Ruscoe was cut. Unless they had the taller Eyre already targeted.

Injuries. Kreuger is permanently injured and whilst he has more talent, it’s never used. Availability is so important.
its a tough one and completely unpredictable - look at McStay, who had great run at BNE but not so with us.
I'd rather pick a player in the MSD with a higher ceiling and bigger body than McMahon, who really hasn't added much bulk since departing.

Unless they considered Dean more capable of playing the intercept role i really didn't see why Ruscoe was cut. Unless they had the taller Eyre already targeted.
Dean is absolutely more of an interceptor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eyre was targeted from the middle of last year.

Singh, one of our development coaches, worked for Essendon and coached their NGA Academy. That was the connection for him playing VFL and then trialling over summer. We did effectively replace Ruscoe with Eyre but given the situation with talls, retaining Ruscoe could have been prudent given we lost Murphy and Kreuger is Kreuger.

Eyre was targeted from the middle of last year.

Singh, one of our development coaches, worked for Essendon and coached their NGA Academy. That was the connection for him playing VFL and then trialling over summer. We did effectively replace Ruscoe with Eyre but given the situation with talls, retaining Ruscoe could have been prudent given we lost Murphy and Kreuger is Kreuger.
Kinder, If Roscoe is that good. 17 other clubs could have taken him for free, but didn’t

Agree on Dean. He was thrown in to a backline which has a new backline coach, learning new systems, no Murphy & when the whole team was playing poorly against 2 of the superior teams in the comp, after having only played a couple of VFL games last year in the past 2 years...!
Going into this match with the weaponry our oppo had, us without Murphy and Howe was simply never going to work.
This was a case that a young player with very little football under his belt was more likely to struggle than not.
Compounding was the fact Frampton was watching on! Probably the most curious selection in Fly's time.
In hindsight, I dont think we set him up to succeed in Rd 1.

My WAFL team is Swan Districts and I watched Teakle demolish them in a game that it looked like we were going to win. I thought he looked pretty impressive that day ( 3 weeks ago). Very strong in contests, good hands, great kick for goals ( especially from long range) and effective defensively.
He would be the first player picked up in two mid season drafts

OVERLOOKED PAIR IN CONTENTION

TASMANIAN Geordie Payne and West Australian key defender Jacob Blight are among the prospects being scouted with early picks in the upcoming mid-season draft.

Vacant list spots have ballooned to 22 with Brisbane now having four open positions after the season-ending knee injuries to Darcy Gardiner and Lincoln McCarthy, however there is expected to be around half of those taken.

Payne was overlooked last year despite having interest from clubs, including Collingwood, but is back on the radar as a mid-season hopeful given his strong first half of this season as a quick defender with Tasmania and the Young Guns.

Blight is a 22-year-old key defender from Peel who has attracted interest from several clubs looking to bolster their backline stocks. VFL defender Mutaz El Nour, who has been overlooked at previous mid-season intakes, remains in contention for a mid-season spot, while key forwards Noah Howes and Jasper Scaife are considered strong possibilities.

A number of formerly listed AFL players are also putting themselves in the mix.

Trey Ruscoe, Liam McMahon and Trent Bianco (ex-Collingwood), Jack Peris, Dan McKenzie and Tom Highmore (ex-St Kilda), Lachie Young (ex-North Melbourne) and Jez McLennan (Gold Coast) are in the group looking for a return to the top level.

The mid-season rookie draft will be staged in three weeks on Wednesday, May 29.

Payne is a shocking kick, even if he has the talent. He’d be a genuine star if he was more accurate.

Out of the immediate list of names, it’s Highmore or Young for me. If we’re pursuing Lobb, I don’t expect us to target a ruck.

Random note, El Nour lands at Richmond I think. He works there now and plays VFL there.

Both McMahon and Ruscoe are decent players.

Controversial take but McMahon is better than Kreuger and Ruscoe is better than Dean.
At state league level, but less likely for AFL

Ruscoe is a good player, but he's a tweener. Not good enough in the air to play as a tall or fast enough to play as a flanker.

McMahon not physical enough for our forward line

Speaking of Teakle.

Another WAFL star who could be considered in the mid-season draft is East Fremantle ruckman Brynn Teakle.

The 25-year-old was selected by Port Adelaide out of the Sharks in the 2022 mid-season draft before being delisted by the Power at the end of last season.

“He’s a good chance to play in the WAFL state team, not this weekend but next,” Jones said of Teakle.

“He’s certainly had a really strong start the year in the WAFL. I’m not 100 per cent sure of the level of interest in Brynn this time around, but you would have to suspect that he would be one of the next best ruckmen outside of the AFL.

“So all it’s going to take is a club that might need someone for him to get another opportunity. He’d be around the mark if a club needs a ruckman.”

Teakle is averaging 38.6 hit-outs, 16 touches, 3.8 marks and has kicked five goals this season.

He trained with Collingwood during the pre-season supplemental selection period but missed a spot on the club’s list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back