List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Him and macrae were comprehensively destroyed by vfl mids on the weekend
It’s the same story of who does Long even replace?

Trudgeon was better in the VFL for Coburg by a mile than what Long did. Like he can tackle and accumulate but he’s far from perfect. Maybe with a year or two of development he steps up.

Bloody hell.

Another tall goes down at Collingwood. This time the VFL listed Sof.

We are cursed if we take them, we are cursed if we don't.
I
Yep. But because we don't have a tall forward who can ruck we use our 2nd ruck in packs up forward, which both Cox and Cameron can do. So if either get injured it effects both the ruck and forward line. A back up ruck would give us options if either he's injured.
Don’t disagree that we need a back up option…but what are Steene and Beth doing on the list? We either trust in their development or get rid of them.

We also have the option of playing with one ruck, they don’t really have that big an impact on our clearances.

I

Don’t disagree that we need a back up option…but what are Steene and Beth doing on the list? We either trust in their development or get rid of them.

We also have the option of playing with one ruck, they don’t really have that big an impact on our clearances.
Steene is injured. Begg doesn't look good enough.

One ruck would work but we need a tall forward who can chop out, which is pretty much Coxs role ATM and tees no-one else to cover that role outside f our rucks.

A down performance is not a reason to write them both off.
On that basis you may as well sack the whole squad based on last week.
Yeah it was one game. Lets not throw the bath water out lol They were scratchy and got out played, yes. But it's not the end of the world.

Then I guess neither are AFL Players and our Mids are s**t
Our AFL mids got trounced by Hawthorn in the clearances late last year and still won a premiership.

It's possible to perform poorly without being a garbage player overall.

"They played badly that day" - Get that into your vocabulary instead of "they are s**t".

Sometimes, a player is just s**t - They'll prove over a long period of time. But not ones that recently won a flag.

I

I’d be wanting to see at least one state league ruck added. Someone who wins the HO and helps the development of the midfielders.

Very true.

Long probably could be on an AFL list but I don’t think he’d be featuring much at that level. Before I watched him more closely, I thought he was this star that belonged on a list straight away. But on when you break away from the statistics sheet and look at his vision/skills, the flaws emerge.

Very true.

Long probably could be on an AFL list but I don’t think he’d be featuring much at that level. Before I watched him more closely, I thought he was this star that belonged on a list straight away. But on when you break away from the statistics sheet and look at his vision/skills, the flaws emerge.
It’s exactly my take on him - he gets plenty of ball but is deficient in many areas.
Put Carmichael in the same position and his performances would be similar BUT sadly with the same deficiencies.
Long = Carmichael IMO.
However I like Carmichaels aggression.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s exactly my take on him - he gets plenty of ball but is deficient in many areas.
Put Carmichael in the same position and his performances would be similar BUT sadly with the same deficiencies.
Long = Carmichael IMO.
However I like Carmichaels aggression.
Carmichael takes responsibility but doesn’t finish. He’s a forward not a midfielder.

Only playing fwd now because Sullivan and Long have been recruited.
And because in the midfield, he’s inefficient and can’t handball.

He plays wing in the VFL usually. Sees the ball, uses it poorly but stands up and takes the kick others aren’t willing to. Better suited to forward.

Of course it's not a reason to write them off. But it's not a one off. Last year us getting done around the stoppage in the VFL was common. Yet every week you'd read that our mids were too good for the VFL and deserved a game, because they got the most stats in the team.

I'd love us to have a quality AFL listed stoppage player in the VFL, we need one, but we don't have one, unfortunately - unless it's Sullivan.

Spinny, Dave suggested bringing in a mid that was part of midfield that was smashed by a vfl midfield, and a poor one at that.

To suggest any of them would fix the clearance issues we had against players like Merrett and Parrish is laughable, and unfortunately he was just on one of his rants after a draw/loss

Spinny, Dave suggested bringing in a mid that was part of midfield that was smashed by a vfl midfield, and a poor one at that.

To suggest any of them would fix the clearance issues we had against players like Merrett and Parrish is laughable, and unfortunately he was just on one of his rants after a draw/loss
Mate come on - You were deriding them based on last weeks performance- no consideration for the excellent form in previous weeks. That’s was my point.

You were dismissing them stepping up based on ONE poor game.

Mate come on - You were deriding them based on last weeks performance- no consideration for the excellent form in previous weeks. That’s was my point.

Gee Spinny, you make me dizzy sometimes, you remind me of the Tasmanian tiger in the Warner Bros cartoons, once he wound up no one could stop him

I was dismissing that any of them would fix our clearance issues. If you think either macrae or long would have done better against the Essendon mids you are entitled to your opinion. We disagree on this and will continue to. Let’s leave it at that again 😂

Why would we pick up a guy who failed to impress and we then overlooked?
Unless of course he’s happy to take a 6 month contract- which I doubt.
I’d rather take a 6 month gamble on another Ruck, who may have more potential.
1) You’re working on the assumption that he failed to impress, but you couldn’t possibly know that for sure. The only thing we know is that the club staff felt others were a better fit.

2) We overlooked Markov. The only reason he’s a premiership player is because a last minute spot opened up after we sent him on his way. The only real difference between that and Teakles situation is time frames.

Not to say we’ll go down that path, but it’s silly to rule it out, particularly given our sudden need for another ruckman.

I think people need to get this idea that Coburg is the steaming pile of garbage that we saw the past two years out of their head.
It’s a different team, they’ve recruited strongly. They pushed Williamstown right to the end, who look to be a top 4 side, the game before they beat us. I expect them to push for finals this year.

Gee Spinny, you make me dizzy sometimes, you remind me of the Tasmanian tiger in the Warner Bros cartoons, once he wound up no one could stop him
If you feel I’ve erred in my logic or rationale please explain why.
There are consistent themes elevated as facts, that don’t bare scrutiny. I feel compelled to challenge them which often takes several posts.
I’m sorry if that disturbs you.

1) You’re working on the assumption that he failed to impress, but you couldn’t possibly know that for sure. The only thing we know is that the club staff felt others were a better fit.

2) We overlooked Markov. The only reason he’s a premiership player is because a last minute spot opened up after we sent him on his way. The only real difference between that and Teakles situation is time frames.

Not to say we’ll go down that path, but it’s silly to rule it out, particularly given our sudden need for another ruckman.
The revisiting of Markov is definitely a precedent - and on a 6 month contract I have no issue with selecting him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back