No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Great post KS, although I'd argue that Geelong beating Brisbane at the Gabba was significant (for now... yet to really know what to make of Brisbane this year.)

Season looks very open, which is interesting, but also stressful. I wish there was a way we could mix the relaxed vibes of supporting the Swans in 2019/2020 with the sense of being "in the hunt" of the last few years. I'll be lucky to make it to 30!
It is one of the great posts so far this season , well done kirkswan

Why's everyone doing anzac guernseys

call me a grumpy bastard but feels a bit cash grab to me
Yeah, I feel the same way....I say whilst checking to see if we have one and if its decent.

If Re

Agree, but Essendon v Collingwood every year is the ultimate cash grab.

yeah bit gross in a way- and now they all are jumping at it, don't know felt like the original game was more about the people who you know went to war.

Also I don't give a heck how many anzac medals a player won

You can see the difference between them and West Coast now.

The Eagles actually have good experienced players. Yeo, McGovern, Barrass, Kelly. They just had awful injuries the last couple of years. Darling looked as good as he had looked for 4 years the other night.

North Melbourne get almost zero out of their experienced players.

Luke McDonald has played 185 games. He is their captain. I am not sure he has played 5 good games in his entire career.

He just plods around on the back flank, losing most contests he is in. If the ball happens to dribble his way, he might send a helicopter punt up the wing. He does nothing useful. They've brought in Stephens though as a perfect replacement when they finally move him on.

Yes, it's all such a shame

Cats are on some gear other clubs aren't have been for 3 years. IDK what it is roids, or something else.
Their old players go on and on more than any other clubs'. Their young players come in stronger and better than any others...
It all started from the beginning of their GF year. The improvement was frankly not believable to me, and it's carrying on.

Tell me I'm wrong.

I didn't know it was a wet weather game, I didn't catch it as I was at the pub watching the absolutely thrilling Western derby!DIREBY

Torrential rain would've favoured Geelong though, they're used to it.
FTFY

Cats are on some gear other clubs aren't have been for 3 years. IDK what it is roids, or something else.
Their old players go on and on more than any other clubs'. Their young players come in stronger and better than any others...
It all started from the beginning of their GF year. The improvement was frankly not believable to me, and it's carrying on.

Tell me I'm wrong.
Some of this will fix that.
1713758882696.png

The next four weeks should be interesting ladder wise... especially watching the current top 4.

Cats play: Carlton, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast
Swans play: Hawthorn, GWS, Fremantle, Carlton
GWS play: Brisbane, Swans, Essendon, Bulldogs
Carlton play: Geelong, Collingwood, Melbourne, Sydney

Carlton have so many out at the moment that it's a really good time to get them... later in the year they could be considerably stronger than they are now. Geelong have been winning, but not playing anyone of significance, GWS is a similar story except they lost to Carlton.

Port, Melbourne, Essendon and Bulldogs make up the 8 but none of them are playing consistently well, which of course could change at any minute; but not enough to push them into top 4 imo.

I think GWS has yet to prove themselves against top class opposition, but the next fours weeks will give us a better idea. The Cats are a bit the same in my view, there have been a few games where they haven't won as well as I expected they would (noting that the same can be said about us, and that's its very early in the season); and then there's Carlton, who only every seem to win by a few points, not two or three goals. they remind me of us a few year or two ago, getting the job done but only just.. And then there's us... lost one we should have won, but generally winning by 4 goals or more.

The whole top 8 looks pretty shaky to me... except for us (so far). At the end of round 10, we'll have played everyone except Geelong (R13) and Port (R21), so we should have a pretty good idea of whether we've got what it takes by then.

If there are no further injuries, I'm expecting us to have won either 8 or 9 out of 10 at the end of round 10, and be sitting in the top 2 with a good percentage.
KS, the afl have been reading your posts
R7: v Hawthorn, MCG
R8: v Greater Western Sydney, SCG
R9: v Fremantle, Optus Stadium
R10: v Carlton, SCG
R11: v Western Bulldogs, Marvel Stadium

Current ladder position: 2nd (5-1)
Degree of difficulty OR-R6:
12.8 (17th hardest)
Degree of difficulty R7-11:
8.2 (Fifth hardest)
Upcoming games against current top eight: 3
Upcoming interstate trips: 3
Degree of difficulty R12-16: 7 (Second hardest)

After their opening six games included meetings with the Eagles and Tigers, a trickier run follows for the Swans, although their round seven meeting is with the struggling Hawks at the MCG. After that, there's a blockbuster derby against the Giants, a trip west to take on the Dockers, the Blues at the SCG and the Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley picked up 5 coaches votes on the weekend (=3rd best on the ground)

The West today;
View attachment 1967627

Demand for a Public Holiday (Harley Reid Day) when he picks up all 10 votes?

To be fair to him he seems to be coping better with the hype than The West is.
He's a good kid

The West today;
View attachment 1967627

It’ll be interesting to see if the Harley Reid Day public holiday in WA remains when he runs out in a Geelong guernsey.

Certainly seems a lot more grounded than JHF. Committed to the team and his teammates. Can't ask much more.
Fully agree with the second sentence, but I wonder if I (and others) misjudged JHF?

Certainly I viewed JHF as an entitled immature brat who couldn't wait to get home to Adelaide.
He seems far more settled at Port and integrated into the team, with nary a complaint.

Looking back maybe there was a toxic culture at North, that imposed too much pressure on an 18yo and he struggled to cope?
Having the personality and social skills to deal with the pressure of being the 'saviour' #1 pick isn't easy.
And a young person needs the support network around him.
The North BF board laments the lack of leadership on and off field at the club.

Getting to the right club, with the right culture at the right time is so important for the development of the individual both as a person and player.
Not sure that happened with JHF at North.

Fully agree with the second sentence, but I wonder if I (and others) misjudged JHF?

Certainly I viewed JHF as an entitled immature brat who couldn't wait to get home to Adelaide.
He seems far more settled at Port and integrated into the team, with nary a complaint.

Looking back maybe there was a toxic culture at North, that imposed too much pressure on an 18yo and he struggled to cope?
Having the personality and social skills to deal with the pressure of being the 'saviour' #1 pick isn't easy.

Getting to the right club, with the right culture at the right time is so important for the development of the individual both as a person and player.
I personally think he didn’t right thing by not going all Archie Perkins pre-draft.

And he’s perfectly entitled to move to the club of his choice once his contract was up.

But the under-performance at North seemed symptomatic of a bloke just marking time and maybe not really trying his absolute best.

And that is poor form.

I give credit for North the way they handled it. They also showed courage in dealing with Tarryn Thomas.

Which suggests the club culture isn’t toxic - but instead is just one that has become too mired in perennial failure.

True enough but I'd lay odds on both. Chicken and egg. Happy once he gets his way.
I admire the way Reid has gone about it so far. Very mature in a cheeky kind of way.

The West today;
View attachment 1967627

such a bad headline

what do they mean they tried to warn us? he was the number one draft pick and was by a country mile the best young kid running around last year. thats like in summer, not having a cold day, then the first cold day "it was going to to turn cold". of course he was going to be good. numpties over in the west.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back