No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks is gonna get sacked if they dont turn this around
Got another year, hasn't he? I think they'll come good in the 2nd half which is the complete opposite of what happened last year. But both years are the result of them not being ready yet, and they don't have the cattle.

i saw the Adam Simpson presser this morning, and I thought he did a MARVELLOUS job!

No matter how much the press wanted to hype the win, he kept reminding them it was 2.5 weeks versus 2.5 years, and refused to allow that it was all about Reid, as apposed to the whole team effort. Was very, very impressed...

I watched the whole game, having just tuned in for 10 mins to see how Freo went about it, and I thought they (WC) played really well. I doubt they will sustain that for the rest of the year, or that the top teams will let them, but imo, a corner has definitely been turned.

Pity about Waterman and Yeo's injuries over the last few years... but they are well and truly back now.

Our win against the Eeagles doesn't look half as ordinary given their current form. I mean, we still played a bit ordinary but they're not in completely horrid form at the moment.
I heard during todays game call that the 'dreaded lurgy' had been going through the Swans the week before... maybe have contributed to their performance level... hard to say really. But we won in the end, so really that's all that matters, especially this early in the season.

The next four weeks should be interesting ladder wise... especially watching the current top 4.

Cats play: Carlton, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast
Swans play: Hawthorn, GWS, Fremantle, Carlton
GWS play: Brisbane, Swans, Essendon, Bulldogs
Carlton play: Geelong, Collingwood, Melbourne, Sydney

Carlton have so many out at the moment that it's a really good time to get them... later in the year they could be considerably stronger than they are now. Geelong have been winning, but not playing anyone of significance, GWS is a similar story except they lost to Carlton.

Port, Melbourne, Essendon and Bulldogs make up the 8 but none of them are playing consistently well, which of course could change at any minute; but not enough to push them into top 4 imo.

I think GWS has yet to prove themselves against top class opposition, but the next fours weeks will give us a better idea. The Cats are a bit the same in my view, there have been a few games where they haven't won as well as I expected they would (noting that the same can be said about us, and that's its very early in the season); and then there's Carlton, who only every seem to win by a few points, not two or three goals. they remind me of us a few year or two ago, getting the job done but only just.. And then there's us... lost one we should have won, but generally winning by 4 goals or more.

The whole top 8 looks pretty shaky to me... except for us (so far). At the end of round 10, we'll have played everyone except Geelong (R13) and Port (R21), so we should have a pretty good idea of whether we've got what it takes by then.

If there are no further injuries, I'm expecting us to have won either 8 or 9 out of 10 at the end of round 10, and be sitting in the top 2 with a good percentage.

The next four weeks should be interesting ladder wise... especially watching the current top 4.

Cats play: Carlton, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast
Swans play: Hawthorn, GWS, Fremantle, Carlton
GWS play: Brisbane, Swans, Essendon, Bulldogs
Carlton play: Geelong, Collingwood, Melbourne, Sydney

Carlton have so many out at the moment that it's a really good time to get them... later in the year they could be considerably stronger than they are now. Geelong have been winning, but not playing anyone of significance, GWS is a similar story except they lost to Carlton.

Port, Melbourne, Essendon and Bulldogs make up the 8 but none of them are playing consistently well, which of course could change at any minute; but not enough to push them into top 4 imo.

I think GWS has yet to prove themselves against top class opposition, but the next fours weeks will give us a better idea. The Cats are a bit the same in my view, there have been a few games where they haven't won as well as I expected they would (noting that the same can be said about us, and that's its very early in the season); and then there's Carlton, who only every seem to win by a few points, not two or three goals. they remind me of us a few year or two ago, getting the job done but only just.. And then there's us... lost one we should have won, but generally winning by 4 goals or more.

The whole top 8 looks pretty shaky to me... except for us (so far). At the end of round 10, we'll have played everyone except Geelong (R13) and Port (R21), so we should have a pretty good idea of whether we've got what it takes by then.

If there are no further injuries, I'm expecting us to have won either 8 or 9 out of 10 at the end of round 10, and be sitting in the top 2 with a good percentage.
Great post KS, although I'd argue that Geelong beating Brisbane at the Gabba was significant (for now... yet to really know what to make of Brisbane this year.)

Season looks very open, which is interesting, but also stressful. I wish there was a way we could mix the relaxed vibes of supporting the Swans in 2019/2020 with the sense of being "in the hunt" of the last few years. I'll be lucky to make it to 30!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post KS, although I'd argue that Geelong beating Brisbane at the Gabba was significant (for now... yet to really know what to make of Brisbane this year.)

Season looks very open, which is interesting, but also stressful. I wish there was a way we could mix the relaxed vibes of supporting the Swans in 2019/2020 with the sense of being "in the hunt" of the last few years. I'll be lucky to make it to 30!

Geelong haven't beaten a team above them yet

Yes, Geelong beat Brisbane... but the game was played mostly in torrential rain! Very unusual conditions. And really, Brisbane need to hold on until they reach the weaker portion of their draw where they can play themselves into form. I'd have thought it was a better will for the Cats if it had been dry, and is was talent & coaching v talent & coaching, not who made the best use of the conditions.

EDIT: *win

Just saw the Greene one, how's he only get a week?

AFL must want him in battle of the bridge
It's crazy, isn't it! There is no way to tell what will be a week and what will be 4... and I forget who said it, but I think they must be right when they say high profile players get preferential treatment!

Yes, Geelong beat Brisbane... but the game was played mostly in torrential rain! Very unusual conditions. And really, Brisbane need to hold on until they reach the weaker portion of their draw where they can play themselves into form. I'd have thought it was a better will for the Cats if it had been dry, and is was talent & coaching v talent & coaching, not who made the best use of the conditions.

EDIT: *win
I didn't know it was a wet weather game, I didn't catch it as I was at the pub watching the absolutely thrilling Western derby!

Torrential rain would've favoured Geelong though, they're used to it.

North are absolutely terrible. Can't even compete with another bottom 4 side at the moment. Can't afford to sack Clarkson either. What a mess
You can see the difference between them and West Coast now.

The Eagles actually have good experienced players. Yeo, McGovern, Barrass, Kelly. They just had awful injuries the last couple of years. Darling looked as good as he had looked for 4 years the other night.

North Melbourne get almost zero out of their experienced players.

Luke McDonald has played 185 games. He is their captain. I am not sure he has played 5 good games in his entire career.

He just plods around on the back flank, losing most contests he is in. If the ball happens to dribble his way, he might send a helicopter punt up the wing. He does nothing useful. They've brought in Stephens though as a perfect replacement when they finally move him on.

I didn't know it was a wet weather game, I didn't catch it as I was at the pub watching the absolutely thrilling Western derby!

Torrential rain would've favoured Geelong though, they're used to it.
Yep, it's why the scores were so low... and yeah, I turned it off to watch the Western derby! First full game that didn't involve the Swans that I've watched in years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back