Media 2024 General AFLW Discussion

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Marvel’s $225m upgrade improved women’s facilities. But AFLW still won’t play there

Er um why not

But AFLW commentator Chyloe Kurdas questioned why the AFL’s own stadium wasn’t being used to support the growth of the women’s game.

I presume it's something about the crowd sizes don't justify using such a large stadium.

Players and coaches say they like playing in the large stadia and perhaps they should be listened to if the costs aren't prohibitive? Even if the AFL owns the stadium it could still be expensive to fixture games there. On the other hand, if it's not being used, perhaps there's a cost in not using such expensive infrastructure. Plus the AFL, with all their government subsidies (for stadia and infrastructure in particular) have a responsibility to the community and to develop the game.

I don't know if I have a problem with competition running alongside men's finals, especially if opportunity is taken to promote the AFLW to the eyeballs on the men's games. Ultimately I think the AFLW is going to have to run substantially concurrently with the AFLM because the season is going to get longer and you're not going to push it into the summer (I hope).

However I don't love that not only do the women have such a short season but now they also have to compress their season!? The men aren't playing 11 games in succession this season period, but the women have to play 11 games at the rate of more than 1 per week??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back