2nds 2024 AFLW Swans playing in VFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Montana Ham is having a blinder! She kicks her second of the quarter and her fourth of the afternoon!Watch the final 10 minutes of the action via the Live Stream on the AFL website, AFL Live Official App and VFL App.

Right on the stroke of quarter time. Holly Cooper scores our second of the afternoon after some brilliant work by Imogen Brown.

Hamilton... BANG!The forward on the end of some MUST WATCH ball movement. 8 handballs and the ball moves from one end of the field to another.

I misread the start of your post initially, which has made me realise how close Gowans’ name is to Go Swans.

Sorry if this is something others spotted a year or more ago.
welcome to the AFLW side

Not sure how Imogen Brown didn't get a spot on the list. She's got some talent. Laura Gardiner a casual 47 possies, just another day at the office.

The Sydney Swans AFLW have commenced their VFLW campaign with a commanding 62-point victory over the Western Bulldogs at Whitten Oval, Victoria on Saturday afternoon

The Sydney Swans AFLW have commenced their VFLW campaign with a commanding 62-point victory over the Western Bulldogs at Whitten Oval, Victoria on Saturday afternoon

Great to see that end to end goal again. Superb running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a happy chappy because I’ve just realised that three of our five games are in Sydney, starting next weekend, at Henson Park, on a weekend that is otherwise footy free.

I had assumed that, because we’re gatecrashing the VFL, all our matches would be in Melbourne.

I’m a happy chappy because I’ve just realised that three of our five games are in Sydney, starting next weekend, at Henson Park, on a weekend that is otherwise footy free.

I had assumed that, because we’re gatecrashing the VFL, all our matches would be in Melbourne.
Bugger, I'm out of Sydney next weekend.

My observations of the match:

* we totally outclassed the VFLW level opposition. Being nearly full-time professional makes a big difference.

* horrible kicking for goal, especially early. And a corresponding lack of confidence from a lot of players electing not to take a shot when they could (the Hamilton sisters in particular).

* our basic skills looked rusty. But our structures and pressure looked good.

* poor defending from the opposition. I think the difference between our excellent teamwork, especially in defence and their poorer coordination and defence was the biggest difference in the game (albeit they had to do a lot more defending).

* beaut kick by Senna Gulden for our first ever VFLW goal. She's the third Gulden to play for our club and the fourth to represent (if you include Adam, Senna and Errol's mum, Bronwyn).

* All the newbies looking like they have something to offer, which arguably vindicates my suggestions that we should have turned over more of our list. Hausegger terrific in defence. Cooper terrific in attack, and quick.

* Beruldsen looking much improved compared to 2022 and even last year. By far the best game I've ever seen from her.

* Paris McCarthy being trialled in defence and doing well. Marking and competing strongly, working hard. It was hard for our defenders to stand out that much because mostly the ball lived in our F50.

* Gardiner and Kennedy picking up where they left off. Beasts. Ham too. And Ham was kicking straight to boot!

* Our players physically asserted themselves, which was pleasing to see, sometimes without quite enough discipline (looking at you Lexi Hamilton in particular).

* Of our VFLW listed players I thought Brown was best. Good learning experience for all of them. Martin looked the youngest so maybe especially for her.

Last edited:
WESTERN BULLDOGS vs SYDNEY SWANS

Western Bulldogs
0.1 0.1 2.1 3.4 (22)
Sydney Swans 2.4 5.8 8.10 12.12 (84)

YOUNG Sydney rising star Montana Ham showed herself to be a born leader and best-and-fairest winner Laura Gardiner took her own ball to the game as the Swans kicked off their rebel VFLW guest stint with a powerful 62-point victory over the Western Bulldogs at Mission Whitten Oval.

The 2022 No.1 draft pick, Ham only turned 20 last week and celebrated that milestone by being named captain for the game before producing a dominant display in attack that yielded 20 disposals, four marks and six tackles before cashing in herself with three last-quarter goals to finish with five majors.

Gardiner was even more devastating, piling up an amazing 47 disposals – two shy of her personal best effort for Geelong against Port Melbourne in 2022 that brought her to the attention of the Swans’ AFLW recruiting team. 22 were contested, plus six marks, seven clearances and five inside-50s.

But she also shone without the footy, adding 14 tackles to a day where she made Champion Data’s pen run dry, with the Swans picking up 117 more disposals, 29 more marks and 20 more inside-50s.

Holly Cooper, who the Swans selected during last year’s Expansion U18 Talent Pathway Pre-Signing Period, also had a day out with three majors.

The Swans boasted 18 AFLW-listed players to none and put paid to the contest with 5.8 to 0.1 in the first half and didn’t let up after the break, with Paige Sheppard and Tanya Kennedy having 22 possessions each.

WESTERN BULLDOGS vs SYDNEY SWANS

Western Bulldogs
0.1 0.1 2.1 3.4 (22)
Sydney Swans 2.4 5.8 8.10 12.12 (84)

YOUNG Sydney rising star Montana Ham showed herself to be a born leader and best-and-fairest winner Laura Gardiner took her own ball to the game as the Swans kicked off their rebel VFLW guest stint with a powerful 62-point victory over the Western Bulldogs at Mission Whitten Oval.

The 2022 No.1 draft pick, Ham only turned 20 last week and celebrated that milestone by being named captain for the game before producing a dominant display in attack that yielded 20 disposals, four marks and six tackles before cashing in herself with three last-quarter goals to finish with five majors.

Gardiner was even more devastating, piling up an amazing 47 disposals – two shy of her personal best effort for Geelong against Port Melbourne in 2022 that brought her to the attention of the Swans’ AFLW recruiting team. 22 were contested, plus six marks, seven clearances and five inside-50s.

But she also shone without the footy, adding 14 tackles to a day where she made Champion Data’s pen run dry, with the Swans picking up 117 more disposals, 29 more marks and 20 more inside-50s.

Holly Cooper, who the Swans selected during last year’s Expansion U18 Talent Pathway Pre-Signing Period, also had a day out with three majors.

The Swans boasted 18 AFLW-listed players to none and put paid to the contest with 5.8 to 0.1 in the first half and didn’t let up after the break, with Paige Sheppard and Tanya Kennedy having 22 possessions each.

A little sad to see Jess Doyle starring for the Giants instead of us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back