Phantom Draft Chris25's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chris25, great effort again this year, areally good read.
I just wanted to get your opinion on why Melbourne would go for Greene over Kavanagh at pick 12. I personally think that if Kavanagh made it to Melbourne's pick they would snap him up, but I was wondering what you thought about that.

I wouldn't be paying a heap of attention to the first round at the moment. I've sort of been half updating over trade week, but I'm still trying to work out exactly what I'll do with all of the GWS picks. Some of the picks (like Melbourne) I just left untouched for now.

There is every chance that Kavanagh will end up going to GWS before Melbourne get a chance to pick. But I do agree with you that Melbourne would likely take him ahead of Greene.

It will all be much clearer again after trade week ends on Monday.

Re: A Mock Draft In June?

In your lastest update you have Kavanagh at 16 and Grigg at PP2, which are both after the Tigers picks. Just wondering if the Tigers would be better off taking them than Forster and Ellis who you currently have at 15 & 26?

With trade week behind us, things are getting serious now. Just to keep things neat and tidy, I figured it would be easier just to start a new thread with my post-trade week mock draft.

Just a note, I know teams wont be using all the picks I have them making. I haven't factored delistings into it, because I still want to have as many names in there as possible.

So yeah, enjoy...

Round 1

#1 GWS - Stephen Coniglio (182cm midfielder - Swan Districts)

Still the #1 for me, although it seems like they might go for Patton on the day. Is pretty much the complete midfielder, and is every bit as good as Swallow from last year. Big ball winner, can do it himself or link up with others. Tackles well, is quick and can hit the scoreboard too. Nothing not to like about him. AFL Comparison: Chris Judd.

#2 GWS - Jonathon Patton (197cm forward - Eastern Ranges)

Easily the best KPP in the draft, although will probably be #2 at GWS behind Cameron. Giant of an 18 year old, would physically be ready to step in and play from Round 1 next season. And that is exactly what GWS need. Bit of a throwback to the times of the power forward, I don't think he will take as long to progress as some other tall forwards have recently. AFL Comparison: Jonathon Brown.

#3 GWS - Chad Wingard (181cm midfielder - Sturt)

Great midfielder from SA, particularly strong in the clearances. Just has the knack for getting the ball out and into space. Good ball winner and has decent speed, as well as good disposal. Best midfielder to come out of SA in some time. Personally, I'd take him top 3 without a doubt although there is a chance GWS will allow him to go to Port Adelaide to ensure they get exactly who they want with the rest of their first round picks. AFL Comparison: Scott Thompson.

#4 GWS - Will Hoskin-Elliot (182cm midfielder - Western Jets)

With their first three picks, the Giants should look for someone capable of breaking the lines. I would call Port's bluff and let them make the choice on Longer, because I don't think Port will pull the trigger. Hoskin-Elliot is my pick of the next group, outside the top three. He could potentially be the most damaging player in the draft, and is also the best outside player on offer. Which isn't meant in a negative way, he can play inside but he is best when able to run and link up. With skills and clean hands, he is just quality. AFL Comparison: Scott Pendlebury.

#5 GWS - Matthew Buntine (188cm defender - Dandenong)

Just because Gold Coast are no longer picking in the top 5 doesn't mean Buntine will drop. He is the exact type of player that the Giants need - there is a reason why the Suns were reportedly keen on him. Was forced to play more as a key defender in the Championships, when he wasn't injured that is, and that isn't his best position. He reads the ball really well, and his rebounding work is as good as anyone else in the draft. As a third tall / loose man, Buntine could have a real impact before eventually becoming involved in midfield rotations. AFL Comparison: Brendon Goddard.

#6 Port Adelaide - Dom Tyson (186cm midfielder - Oakleigh)

Longer is available, but Port will likely trade for a mature ruck and Lobbe has shown some nice signs. And anyway, they need that quality inside midfielder. Some players had quiet Championships, Tyson was the opposite. In a draft of small midfielders, Tyson's combination of size and skill will be highly sought after. He might not win the Grand Final sprint, but he can play pretty much whatever position you wanted and as a midfielder can make his forward to good effect. It seems GWS are very keen, but I wouldn't be taking him in the top 5. There are better, more dangerous players on offer and the Giants already have plenty of his type. AFL Comparison: Jobe Watson.

#7 GWS - Billy Longer (202cm ruckman - Northern Knights)

Their gamble pays off, as they get the ruck they want and need. Not a great draft for ruckmen, but Longer is more than deserving of a top five pick even. He does everything that is fashionable for ruckmen these days, particularly in regards to his second efforts. But more importantly he is a genuine tap ruckman. Giles will likely play as the #1 for now, so Longer could easily rotate through the forward line with Patton and Cameron. AFL Comparison: Matthew Kreuzer.

#8 Brisbane - Taylor Adams (181cm midfielder - Geelong)

Adams has always been around the mark, I tend to drop him for more flashy players but it’s about time I had him up where he deserves to be – and his leadership alone makes him a good pick up in the top 10. Another inside midfielder, Adams was named in the U18 All Australian side this year. He is what you'd expect an inside midfielder to be, and while he might not be the fastest player going around he makes up for that with his contested work and strength. Can also go forward and have an impact there. AFL Comparison: Jimmy Bartel.

#9 GWS - Liam Sumner (182cm midfielder - Sandringham)

Another pick for GWS, and they might as well just stick with the next highest rated player. Still not really sure where I sit with Sumner. Shows excellent promise as an outside midfielder / flanker, his skills are very good and he links up well. I think he needs to be fed the ball to a certain degree and doesn't exactly do the hard things all the time. That will change with time, and he will become a more well rounded player. AFL Comparison: Bryce Gibbs.

#10 GWS - Shane Kersten (191cm forward - South Fremantle)

I'm a big fan of Kersten, but will be interested to see where he drops to come draft day. I wouldn't be surprised if it was into the second round. Strong leading forward who performed well for WA last year, but missed this year due to a shoulder injury. Has everything you want from a key forward, with strong hands and being a good shot on goal. He tested very well for speed last year when trying out for GWS, but injury problems and a tendency to fade in and out could see him drop. AFL Comparison: Brendan Fevola.

#11 GWS - Adam Tomlinson (194cm defender - Oakleigh Chargers)

Another tall defender, one who is taller than I initially thought, but like others in this draft he has shown more potential than consistent performances. This seems to be a trend amongst KPDs, so it's a matter of finding traits that you can work with. Tomlinson has shown the ability to rack up the ball, as well as play more defensive roles. He has also been in the state and AIS fold for a few years now. AFL Comparison: Michael Hurley.

#12 Brisbane - Todd Elton (197cm forward - Dandenong)

Probably not the pick Brisbane were hoping to make, but they do have some young midfielders stepping up so that does make this one easier. Elton's Championships weren't the greatest, but since not being picked up by GWS as a 17 year old he has worked on his strength and has also played both in the ruck and down back. Despite his quiet Championships, the ability and potential is still there. He moves well for someone his size, and takes a strong mark. AFL Comparison: Drew Petrie.

#13 GWS - Nic Haynes (191cm midfielder - Dandenong)

Another 19 year old, but a big improver this year despite still being relatively skinny. Lots to like about him, nice size and just a matter of time until he starts to fill out a bit more. Can play as either an outside midfielder or a hit up half forward. Some suggest he could be a first rounder, but somewhere around the second round seems good to me. AFL Comparison: Cale Morton.

#14 GWS - Andrew Boseley (194cm defender - Geelong)

Tall, lanky defender who has played on Patton with some good success this year. I originally had him pegged as a late selection, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him push up towards the first round. And now that this is the last pick for GWS for a while, I think they might reach for another KPP. He has great agility and speed for someone his size, and reads the play very well. Generally used his agility and smarts to beat his man, rather than strength. But he'll get stronger with time. AFL Comparison: Harry Taylor.

#15 Richmond - Devon Smith (175cm midfielder - Geelong)

Underrated player on this board, no doubt because of his size. I've been guilty in the past of focusing too much on height as well, but sub-180cm players have been doing quite well lately. And Smith has shown the ability to not only rack up possessions in the middle, but also kick a bag up forward. That versatility coupled with his work rate should see him play a key role in any team. AFL Comparison: Liam Shiels.

#16 Fremantle - Brandon Ellis (181cm defender - Calder)

Tough, nuggety looking player who I'm assured will test very well athletically at the combine. He is a versatile player, and really you could play him in whatever position you wanted. Played mostly off half back, will no doubt be a part of midfield rotations too. I can see him developing into a handy small/medium defender in the mean time. AFL Comparison: Heath Shaw.

#17 Western Bulldogs - Elliot Kavanagh (187cm midfielder - Western Jets)

Kavanagh missed a fair chunk of the year through injury, but has since returned from his hamstring injury in great fashion. When he first returned, all the hype in the media was about him rocketing up the order but that has since died down a bit. It seems like if someone was to slip a bit, it would be him. No matter though as he is the complete midfielder and deserves a top 15 spot - reading the play, clean hands, speed and foot skills. AFL Comparison: Colin Sylvia.

#18 North Melbourne - Toby Greene (180cm midfielder - Oakleigh)

One of the real impressive players in the Championships, and his performance in his final game definitely made people take notice. Greene is a good solid midfielder, and while he may not have the versatility that others do, his work in the midfield is deserving of a first round pick. I’ve never been as big on Greene as others, which is why I might have him a tad lower. But he’ll have an impact early. AFL Comparison: Rhys Palmer.

#19 Essendon - Brad McKenzie (188cm midfielder - Sturt)

Another SA midfielder, and once again he has elite foot skills. His left boot was as good as anyones in the Championships. I think he'll play across half back and the wing, although having said that his inside work is good and he should be apart of midfield rotations. He always seems to have time and space, and he uses that to set a lot of run. Also a good mark above his head. AFL Comparison: Trent McKenzie.

#20 Fremantle - Murray Newman (177cm forward - Swan Districts)

Another favourite of mine, and one of the top small forwards in the draft in my opinion. Newman played one game in the Colts prior to the Championships this year, kicked 6 goals and got himself a league debut the next week. Impressive for someone his age and size. Can also run through the midfield, and his ability to find space and use the ball is a highlight. AFL Comparison: Allen Christensen.

#21 Sydney - F/S Tom Mitchell (181cm midfielder - Claremont)

I'd have Mitchell in my top 10, and right up there with Hoskin-Elliot. One of the best inside midfielders in the draft, was cut down by injury in the Championships but his last game in particular was great. He wins plenty of his own ball, and his foot skills are surprisingly good when he does get outside. AFL Comparison: Sam Mitchell.

#22 Carlton - Sam Docherty (183cm defender - Gippsland)

A little overrated for mine, but should be around the late first round anyway. Not originally a part of the Vic Country squad, Docherty played the final two games and was one of the best players on both occasions. He provided plenty of run off half back, although I'd like to see him improve his kicking and decision making a tad. Can get under the ball and often seems to kick to contests. His good form has continued over into his TAC Cup games, and a strong finish to the season could see him push up into the first round. AFL Comparison: Jed Adcock.

#23 West Coast - Jordan Lockyer (190cm defender - West Perth)

Not the prettiest player on offer, but strong and versatile. Lockyer is an aggressive defender, both in his attack on the ball and work against his opponent. I think he could be one of the better full backs in the league in five years’ time, but also has the ability to go forward and take a strong grab, and could have stints in the midfield too. I can see him playing as the third tall forward for whatever team drafts him, before eventually moving back. AFL Comparison: Max Rooke.

#24 Gold Coast - Sam Frost (193cm defender - Sandringham)

A lot like Tomlinson in that he hasn’t put his performances together on a consistent basis, but he had a real breakout performance in the Championships where he used his athleticism to great effect on the rebound. Frost has a lot of potential, both as an attacking defender and up forward. Has a background in both basketball and volleyball, like so many young players seem to have. AFL Comparison: Luke McPharlin.

#25 St Kilda - Myles Bolger (201cm ruckman - South Fremantle)

Few options here for the Saints, and they could do just about anything. But with a real quality ruck prospect on the board, I think they should take him. I know the old joke is that ruckmen aren't smart, but Bolger is a smart player. He moves well and again is a very good tap ruckman, if not for injury he would be considered a strong chance for being a top 10 pick in my opinion. AFL Comparison: Robbie Warnock.

#26 Richmond - Jack Crisp (189cm forward - Murray Bushrangers)

Doesn't have the biggest profile, but an easy player to like. Maybe more of a second round prospect, but anything could happen on draft day. Lots to like about Crisp up forward, strong mark above his head and can kick a decent ball too. It wouldn't surprise me if Crisp was to get an early debut, particularly as his defensive work as a forward is already right where it needs to be. Has also shown impressive form in the midfield. AFL Comparison: Chris Mayne.

#27 Adelaide - Alex Forster (189cm midfielder - Norwood)

Should definitely be a late riser in draft rankings, due in a large part to his form in the SANFL playing league football. I've been keeping a close eye on him over the past couple of months, and he impresses me more with every game he plays. Forster is another one of those running half back/midfielder types, provides good run and all that. Even at league level, his teammates feed him the ball because he just doesn't make mistakes. I think he'll find himself a nice little home playing on a wing. He also captained SA in the U16 Championships a couple of years ago. AFL Comparison: Paul Duffield.

#28 West Coast - Elliot Yeo (188cm midfielder - East Fremantle)

Big fan of Yeo's for a while, and his testing just topped it all off. Wouldn’t be surprised to see someone go earlier than what may have seemed likely at the start of the year. Good all round midfielder who is particularly strong athletically, can do the odd special thing too. Still only 17, Yeo is averaging well over 20 touches a game in the Colts and has a strong defensive side to his game as well. AFL Comparison: Daniel Menzel.

#29 Fremantle - Fraser McInnes (194cm defender - Perth)

Lots of potential in this kid. Apart from his height, he also has a relatively mature body and is set to debut in the seniors in the coming weeks. For a defender his size, he is pretty mobile and isn't restricted to playing on resting ruckmen and could very well play on the medium types too. He could be one to really move up in the coming months. Having said all that, he can play forward too and presents nicely on the lead. AFL Comparison: Dustin Fletcher.

#30 Brisbane - Jackson Merrett (187cm midfielder - Geelong)

Vic Country and Geelong Falcon midfielder, who has been overshadowed by some of his teammates so far in regards to draft talk. In a draft full of smaller midfielders, Merrett has a real chance of working his way up the order, and from all reports he should impress in interviews. Is a versatile player who can play both inside and outside, and is a genuine ball winner. AFL Comparison: David Mundy.

Round 2

#31 Essendon - Daniel Markworth (189cm midfielder - Calder Cannons)

19 year old, bit of a late starter and definitely looking like he could be one of the years big bolters. His late rise is not overly surprising, given his speed and agility coupled with some clean disposal. Has played pretty much every position on the ground, just needs to now settle into one. At first, it might be as a forward but eventually he'll move into the midfield. AFL Comparison: Isaac Smith.

#32 Geelong - Henry Schade (194cm defender - North Hobart)

There are more well known names on the board here, but I wanted to go for a tall here and I can see a team liking what they see in Schade. And why wouldn't they? Is a big guy, but has pretty good speed and can run the ball out of the back lines. Also has a very nice kick on him, so will be more than just a body out there. Geelong have a need for some height down back, and they'll get someone they can really work with. AFL Comparison: Brian Lake.

#33 Hawthorn - Nick Murphy (194cm forward - Oakleigh Chargers)

One player I’ve held off on, as I’ve wanted to see whether others rate him or not. And it looks like I could be on my own at this early stage. Not necessarily the year Murphy would have been hoping for, wasn't selected in the U18 Championships and missed out on a Draft Combine invite. But he was the leading goal scorer in the TAC Cup. Attended the Combine last year as a 17 year old, he is bigger than what he was and that has only helped his marking game. Another former basketballer but he is a very good and espcially on goal, where he has an interesting yet effective kicking style. AFL Comparison: Jack Riewoldt.

#34 Geelong - Hayden Crozier (184cm forward - Eastern Ranges)

The excitement machine in this year's draft, and I think everyone knows what he can do. At the moment, he may not do it enough but that doesn't really concern me. But that shouldn’t stop GWS, as with all their picks they can afford to take a risk or two. He has all the potential, and his hands and feet are already at the required level. We've seen that the skinny kids can still come in and play a role early on. If GWS don't take him here, it wouldn't surprise me if he slipped out of the top 30. AFL Comparison: Kieran Harper.

#35 St Kilda - Shane Nelson (178cm midfielder - West Perth)

The Saints could go for a KPP here, but Nelson is too good to pass on here and can play both inside and outside. Another small midfielder, but again a real ball winner. Although he performed well at the combine, I see him more as a solid player rather one with real stand out features. Don't take that as a bad thing though, he has the versatility to play wherever and will find the ball wherever he goes. AFL Comparison: Andrew Swallow.

#36 Melbourne - Jack Newnes (184cm midfielder - Northern Knights)

Medium midfielder, and another one who tried out for GWS at the Combine last year. While he obviously didn't get picked up, he did score a top five finish in the 3km time trial. Newnes is just a really composed midfielder, who can go forward and is an accurate shot on goal. He wont stop running, but he isn't the quickest or strongest player going around. AFL Comparison: Nathan van Berlo.

#37 St Kilda - Jordan Murdoch (189cm forward - Glenelg)

Another underrated player for mine. Although I was somewhat surprised he got a Draft Combine invite, I always saw him as very draftable. I really like him, and he is a bit of a deceiving player in my opinion. Whenever I see him I think he is just a big lump of a kid, but he actually moves well for someone with his body type and would be an option around the CHF spot. Very quick and very underrated. Look out for his brother next year too. AFL Comparison: Andrew Walker.

#38 Hawthorn - Cameron Ellis-Yolmen (191cm midfielder - Woodville West Torrens)

Underrated player around these parts, don't think he has really been mentioned at all. At just 18 he is 191cm and 88kg, great size for a midfielder considering most are generally short in this draft class. Only played 1 game for SA in the Championships, and was quite good. In the U18 competition in the SANFL, he is averaging nearly 30 touches and 5 clearances a game. Strong tackler, good above his head and a real creative player. Hopefully it won’t be long until his ranking starts to climb. AFL Comparison: Anthony Morabito.

#39 Western Bulldogs - Michael Bussey (196cm defender - Eastern Ranges)

Bussey can play down back (I actually prefer him down there) but most of his work for Metro and the AIS has been up forward. He needs a season or two to really fill out, but he has had some impressive showings already. With the way the game is played at the moment, he'll be expected to run through the ruck at times and while he can do it, he is a KPP first. AFL Comparison: Lachie Henderson.

#40 North Melbourne - Brendon Ah Chee (190cm midfielder - South Fremantle)

Really interesting prospect, and another one of my favourites. Involved in the Flying Boomerangs program which is focused on personal and leadership development, Ah Chee only played the one game in the U18 Championships. By my count he only had about four touches in that game, but the talent is there and he his Colts form has improved since returning. Has played as an undersized ruckman during his junior football, and his size and running ability makes him a really attractive project on the wing. I think he could develop into a special player. AFL Comparison: Harley Bennell.

#41 Adelaide - Marley Williams (181cm midfielder - Claremont)

Another kid who I probably rate a little more than others might. He is a strongly built midfielder/forward, but does have an impressive turn of speed. There is no denying he has natural talent, and there was one play in particular during the Championships against SA which they showed this - one handed contested mark, followed by a 55m goal off one step. I can see him debuting early, just needs to keep putting in the work. AFL Comparison: Michael Walters.

#42 St Kilda - Julian Dobosz (193cm forward - North Hobart)

Full forward from Tasmania, and he has gotten a bit of attention lately with some people in the media suggesting he will be a first round pick. I'm not really sure about that at this stage, but there is plenty to work with. Still relatively new to the game, but has kicked bags in both the Championships and back home. AFL Comparison: Taylor Walker.

#43 Sydney - Matthew Jacquier (188cm forward - Woodville)

Jacquier is another forward who was invited to the combine last year by GWS, but ultimately missed selection. And again like others, his form this year hasn't been quite as good as what was maybe expected. He is a medium forward with good skills and a strong set of hands. Has the ability to play both tall and small, and he has played both at CHF and as a crumbing small. AFL Comparison: Robbie Gray.

#44 Carlton - Jackson Paine (193cm forward - Sandringham)

Paine is a Vic Metro forward, who showed some impressive signs in the Championships. Obviously Patton got the best defender, but Paine still took his opportunities. Not as consistent as he may have liked, as he tended to go in and out of games. But his leading and marking was strong, I imagine a few teams will like what they see with him and his potential as a tall forward. Not the FF Carlton fans may want, but a good CHF prospect. AFL Comparison: Jack Watts.

#45 Port Adelaide - Michael Talia (193cm defender - Calder)

Talia looks to be a very good defender, and if I had to take a defender for next it would probably be him. Although some of the other KPDs may have a greater scope for the future. He might be more of a first round option based on needs but Talia is a very good full back. While in the final round of the Championships showed that he can be dangerous as a ball winner too - just needs to work on his kicking. AFL Comparison: Matthew Scarlett.

#46 Adelaide - Mitch Grigg (183cm midfielder - Norwood)

I've been up and down on Grigg, and I find him to be one of the hardest to place. He is another who risen through the rankings after an impressive Championships, but his form at Norwood hasn’t always been the same. His kicking can be at the elite level, but it isn’t always firing and can lack touch when he isn’t kicking it 50m. One thing that doesn’t show up on videos is how he goes about his football when he doesn’t have the ball, and it isn’t always the most inspiring. He could have a real impact early, but the question is over how high his ceiling actually is. AFL Comparison: Nic Suban.

#47 Brisbane - Tom Downie (205cm ruckman - North Ballarat)

Brisbane have next to nothing on their list in terms of ruckmen, hence the Ben Hudson trade. They’ll no doubt take a young ruckman as well as another one or two in the rookie draft. Downie hasn't played a heap of football, other than at school, because of basketball commitments. From the limited vision I have seen of him, you can see the natural talent and potential in him. AFL Comparison: Zac Clarke.

#48 Geelong - Brody Mihocek (191cm defender - Burnie)

Geelong can pretty much do what they want here. My favourite of the Tasmanians, and one of the better prospects for a number of years to come out Tasmania. Ideally he would grow a few more centimetres, but he is already a strong contested mark for his size. There isn't much I don't like about Mihocek - strong body, good kick and an impressive athlete. He is also capable of playing forward, and has done it a number of times to good success. AFL Comparison: Jarrad Waite.

Round 3

#49 Western Bulldogs - Thomas Sheridan (185cm midfielder - Calder)

Sheridan is another midfielder who could find his draft stocks increasing with a good couple of months. He is a really hard running player, and his aerobic capacity would already be right up there with current AFL players. With that, he is able to work hard both offensively and defensively. His kicking needs to improve if he is to really hurt teams consistently, and that is what will likely let him down. AFL Comparison: Matt Rosa.

#50 Collingwood - Max Duffy (189cm forward - East Fremantle)

Talented medium forward, who was invited to the draft combine last year for GWS to get a look at him. He has had a few problems in the WAFL, and probably hasn't come on as far I would have expected. But he is a smart forward/midfielder and will add a bit of that unpredictability. AFL Comparison: Steve Johnson.

#51 Port Adelaide - Josh Waldhuter (184cm midfielder - Central Districts)

After bumping Waldhuter up the rankings a bit, I think I've successfully hyped him up and can now put him back to a more realistic 25-35 range. Waldhuter is as inside as they come in this draft. Highly rated SA midfielder, but was overshadowed by Grigg in the Championships. He is a tough midfielder and a very good kick, but he also has a decent turn of speed. Outside of the top few, Waldhuter is likely to have the most immediate impact. AFL Comparison: Brent Moloney.

#52 Melbourne - Clay Smith (180cm midfielder - Gippsland)

An inside midfielder, who is particularly strong in the clearances. Smith has been a fixture in the best players for Gippsland over the past couple of seasons, and continued that into the U18 Championships this year. In addition to impressive showings in the midfield, Smith also went forward where he put his tackling to good use in keeping the ball inside their forward line. Could very well go higher than this. AFL Comparison: Matt DeBoer.

#53 Hawthorn - Bradley Hill (180cm midfielder - West Perth)

Really don't know where to place Hill in the draft. His standing seems to have improved, but I'm not going to crazy on the basis of his combine results alone because he has a long way to go. Bradley doesn't have the same raw talent of Stephen, but has some similar traits and can go inside too. His ball winning has improved as the season has progressed, a greater impact on the scoreboard would help his prospects though. AFL Comparison: Chance Bateman.

#54 Melbourne - Sam Kerridge (188cm midfielder - Bendigo)

Kerridge is a versatile and talented midfielder, who can play both inside and head up forward too. Captain of Bendigo and a member of the AIS Academy, he'll be looking for a strong finish to the season to cement his position in the draft. I imagine he may need a season or two to fully develop and push for selection. AFL Comparison: Michael Rischitelli.

#55 Richmond - Tom Curran (195cm forward - Oakleigh)

So Hawthorn wont be taking Curran as a F/S selection. Interesting decision, personally I would have taken him for now and checked out what the other clubs would bid for him - Hawthorn could have had a bargain. But anyway, he'll get drafted and I think will stay around the second and third round mark. Not the quickest big man going around, but he is a good size and has performed well at either end of the ground. AFL Comparison: Lachie Hansen.

#56 GWS - Luke Wilson (174cm forward - Port Adelaide)

One of the smallest players in the SA squad, Wilson is the cousin of Danyle Pearce and isn't too dissimilar. Aside from a couple of reserves games, Wilson has primarily played U18 football for Port Adelaide and won a Rising Star nomination earlier this year. Very clean hands, coupled with his speed and natural ability, makes him an exciting prospect in the forward half. AFL Comparison: Jeff Garlett.

#57 Western Bulldogs - Jai Sheahan (195cm forward - Geelong)

Yet another player who was invited to the combine last year by GWS, he impressed by coming second in the handball test. Jai has also spent time playing in the ruck, which has helped to improve his athletic ability. As a forward, he is a strong marking mobile type, but also a proven goal kicker in the TAC Cup. Being as strong athletically as he is, he could definitely work his way up into the second round. AFL Comparison: Sam Reid.

#58 Fremantle - Josh Bootsma (190cm defender - South Fremantle)

Not eligible to be picked by Fremantle as a F/S, Bootsma was a late call up to the Draft Combine after not initially receiving an invite. More of a half back, then a key defender, Bootsma impressed in his 13 Colts games this year. Is good above his head and a competitive player, he'd be a good option to play on the dangerous medium forwards. AFL Comparison: Jordan Russell.

#59 Essendon - Sebastian Ross (187cm midfielder - North Ballarat)

Didn't feature for Vic Country in underage football before this year, but Ross is a hard worker and has taken his opportunities this season. Has played a fair bit as a medium forward, but also worked further up the ground and he links up well. I like him up the ground, so he can use his good (but slightly inconsistent) foot skills to deliver inside fifty. AFL Comparison: Matthew Bate.

#60 St Kilda - Jordan Kelly (191cm defender - Dandenong)

Bit of an interesting player is Kelly. Although he is 191cm, he isn't really big enough to play as a KPP. That isn't to say he won’t be developed into one, but at this stage he has played primarily running roles down back. He moves really well, so there is a lot to work with as a potential CHB. Would be a great selection for a team already with height down back. AFL Comparison: Sam Fisher.

#61 Sydney - Lachlan Dalgleish (185cm midfielder - North Ballarat)

I said he was a midfielder, but he has played just as much across half forward and given what he has shown up forward I could easily have called him that. Excellent speed and has run competitively. Will be an interesting player to watch, potentially more of an athlete and teams have been moving away from those types lately. But there is plenty of interest in him. AFL Comparison: Ricky Henderson.

#62 Carlton - F/S Dylan Buckley (178cm midfielder - Northern Knights)

I did think someone would force Carlton to at least use their second round pick on Buckley, but obviously the teams are nicer than I am. Like Kersten he has missed time this year through injury, but he has shown enough promise in his short career so far. I question whether he will be anything more than a flanker, but Carlton committed to him early for a reason. AFL Comparison: David Mackay.

#63 West Coast - Rookie Promotion

#64 Adelaide - Alex Woodward (179cm midfielder - Sandringham)

Interesting player is Woodward. Just a little guy, but is a strong tackler and seems to have the knack for being able to stand up in tackles. Has very clean hands in traffic, and for a small guy has a big leap and strong set of hands. Testing at the combine also showed a decent turn of speed. Had some knee concerns as a 16 year old. AFL Comparison: Cruize Garlett.

#65 Collingwood - Fletcher Roberts (195cm forward - Sandringham)

Big guy who can play a number of positions, tall forward pinch-hitting in the ruck if needed seems like his go at AFL level. Although he will need to improve his strength a bit for that to happen. He does use his body well, but that extra bit of strength will go a long way. Is inconsistent, and will go from best on ground to nothing in the space of a week. I have him as a late selection, although a team could take the punt early especially if they only have the minimum numbers of selections. AFL Comparison: Liam Jones.

#66 Geelong - Steven Verrier (188cm midfielder - South Fremantle)

Played for WA in the U18 Championships, and has made a league debut back home in the WAFL. Not the most productive player going around, but he has shown signs of being a special player. Has good speed, no problems with his disposal and looks to be a smart player. Will be one of those players who likely rotates through a number of different positions. AFL Comparison: Garrick Ibbotson.

Round 4

#67 Collingwood - NSW Scholarship Jarrod Witts (207cm ruckman - Sydney Uni)

Collingwood have a F/S they could pick, but with a couple of NSW Scholarship players on offer I think they will pass on Starcevich. Most people would know about Witts, as Collingwood fans are quick to proclaim him as the next big thing. His tap work, marking and work around the ground are all improving but I question how much of that is just him being so much bigger than everyone else. I'll be interested to see how he goes at an AFL club and playing in the VFL, I can see him being a solid but not overly special player. AFL Comparison: Andrew Browne.

#68 St Kilda - Daniel Joseph (184cm midfielder - Glenorchy)

Time for another Tasmanian and Melbourne had a good record last year with them in the third round. Joseph has the individual skills to be an AFL player, seems to be a smart player with decent skills. It's traits like that which will have teams feeling like he can be developed into a good player, or solid depth at the least. AFL Comparison: Sam Sheldon.

#69 Brisbane - Rookie Promotion

#70 Western Bulldogs – Rookie Promotion

#71 Fremantle - Tom Lee (194cm forward - Claremont)

Athletically gifted 20 year old tall forward, Lee was initially drafted by Adelaide as a project player but was dumped after just one year. Was always going to be a good 2-3 years before he started showing what he can do, and he is doing that for Claremont this year. Although his form has dropped off, he has shown good signs as a strong marking forward. Needs to have more of an impact on the scoreboard, but the potential is definitely still there. AFL Comparison: Scott Gumbleton.

#72 Fremantle - Waylen Manson (191cm forward - Claremont/Kururrungku)

Lots of talk about Manson, lots of talent but a bit of an unknown. Personally I find it hard to put someone I have seen no footage of into the first round. There is more at play than just his talent though; the question is how he will adapt especially considering how long it took Claremont to get him down to Perth. I would put money on him going to a WA based club, and even then it won’t be an easy ride. AFL Comparison: Liam Jurrah.

#73 Western Bulldogs - Rookie Promotion

#74 North Melbourne - Rookie Promotion

#75 Essendon - Rookie Promotion

#76 St Kilda - Ben Darrou (190cm defender - Sandringham)

Really nice player is Darrou, I think he’ll prove to be a bit of a bargain. Can play both on taller and smaller opponents, as he reads the ball really well and can run off and provide a real attacking presence too. Good foot skills and some real strength through his body. As a later round prospect, there is a lot to work with. AFL Comparison: Josh Gibson.

#77 Hawthorn - Rookie Promotion

#78 Geelong - Jackson Coleman (196cm forward - Sandringham)

Looked like Coleman was going to choose cricket at one stage as he played for Australia in the U19 World Cup last year, but he has since been invited to the Draft Combine. Big forward and part time ruckman, he is strong overhead and has kicked a heap of goals this year. Could find himself in second round contention. AFL Comparison: Jarryd Roughead.

Round 5

#79 GWS - Michael Mascoulis (187cm midfielder - Northern Knights)

Bit of a trend in this draft that players are really good in parts of their game, but there is just something that lets them down. Mascoulis is a really talented player, very agile and attacking runner. Is the type of player who can quickly turn a game on its head, playing off either a wing or half back. The only reason he is this low is because of consistency. Don't be surprised if he goes earlier based on talent. AFL Comparison: Grant Birchall.

#80 Gold Coast - Rookie Promotion

#81 Port Adelaide - Jimmy Webster (186cm midfielder - Glenorchy)

Speedy winger from Tasmania, who isn't afraid to take the game on when he has the ball. Another AIS member and although his form this year hasn't been what was maybe expected, he has a lot of potential and natural talent. Could easily push up into the second round, especially if a team is looking to inject some more run into their side. AFL Comparison: Clinton Young.

#82 Adelaide - Rookie Promotion

#83 Fremantle - Rookie Promotion

#84 North Melbourne - Rookie Promotion

#85 Sydney - Rookie Promotion

#86 Geelong - F/S Jed Bews (181cm defender - Geelong)

Father-son option for Geelong, and should get drafted. Can imagine some teams forcing Geelong to use their third rounder, especially because Bews will probably impress at the combine with his athleticism. Type of player who hangs around the back of the play, which isn't a bad thing because the coach will want the ball in his hands. AFL Comparison: Rhyce Shaw.

Round 6

#87 GWS - Xavier Richards (194cm defender - Sandringham)

Again just like Tomlinson and Frost, Richards is more in the frame based on his ability than consistency. The positives for Xavier are definitely his size, and from all reports he might still a little bit left in him. But also his attack on both the ball and player, and his tackling was a feature in the U18s. Is agile enough and has a good set of hands on him. I like him as a defender, but you could easily develop him at either end of the ground. AFL Comparison: Heath Grundy.

#88 Gold Coast - Zone Selection

#89 Adelaide - Rookie Promotion

Round 7

#90 GWS - Josh Tynan (184cm defender - Gippsland)

Really strong and composed player, Tynan made the half back line his home during the Championships. Tynan could become a solid small defender, and his contested ball work is up there with the best in the draft. But he is also a strong mark, and won’t back down from a contest. Whether he develops into anything more than a solid defender is the question. AFL Comparison: Jacob Surjan.

#91 Gold Coast - Zone Selection

Round 8

#92 GWS - Nic O'Brien (189cm forward - North Ballarat)

Not the most exciting player going around, but a good player nonetheless. Playing as a high half forward, he presents well, has a very strong set of hands and won’t stop running all day. Captain of North Ballarat, and he can push up into the midfield too. I doubt he'll ever win awards, but the clubs fan will like him. As will the coaching staff, as they'll know they have a real leader. AFL Comparison: Danny Stanley.

#93 GWS - Cam Eardley (182cm midfielder - East Fremantle)

Midfielder from WA, but when he played in the Championships it was often in the back lines. And he did that well, especially in one game when Lockyer went down injured. But all that just highlights the defensive side of his game. He wins plenty of the ball offensively too, and isn't afraid to get involved in the physical stuff. AFL Comparison: Alex Fasolo.

#94 GWS - Lachlan Edwards (187cm forward - Geelong)

An interesting player, and confidence will never be an issue with Edwards. Has played all around the ground, from half back to the midfield and up forward. And as a forward is where he'll likely make his career. Likes to do the freakish, but is also quite unselfish too. But he has talent, and is a goal kicker. Someone will take him and force him to develop a defensive game. AFL Comparison: Daniel Motlop.

#95 GWS - Lewis Hender (187cm forward - Glenelg)

Hender had a breakthrough performance in the Championships last year, but his games this season perhaps weren't at that same standard. Hender has debuted for Glenelg, and is already a good size for a forward. Can be used as a CHF type, also has enough tricks as that third tall forward. While he will also likely compete from Round 1. AFL Comparison: Stewart Crameri.

#96 GWS - Steve Rusca (182cm defender - Central Districts)

The Giants have quite a few midfielder types, but having said that Rusca is a different fit - a much more defensive player. Rusca would fit in nicely at any team as he will do exactly what you ask of him, tough player who you would think is a lot older than what he is. Just doesn't make many mistakes. AFL Comparison: Heath Scotland.

#97 GWS - Jason Williams (187cm midfielder - Calder Cannons)

I can see someone taking a shot on Williams earlier than this because of the potential, even though his performances this year may not exactly deserve it. And who better than GWS to take that chance. At his best, Williams is an attacking player who loves to carry the ball and carve through the opposition. But having said that, he could be passed on as consistency is a huge issue and he tends to make quite large mistakes on a regular basis. AFL Comparison: Brett Peake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might put a couple of extra rounds together, so to start with I thought I would go with a South Australian theme. Most of the late round/rookie prospects who get the attention around here are from Victoria, and that hardly seems fair.

South Australian Rookie Draft

#1 GWS - Ben Gazzola (196cm forward - Norwood)

Is 21 years old, but only in his first season of SANFL football after being recommended to Norwood coach Bassett by Mark Ricciuto. Another former basketball player, Gazzola has only played the one league game after spending most of the year in the reserves. But he is a big strong guy, with excellent athleticism.

#2 Gold Coast - Cameron Shenton (187cm forward - Norwood)

20 year old forward, and he has some real x-factor. With Gunston likely on the move, Adelaide will likely be looking for another third tall forward type and I think Shenton could be that guy. Excellent set of hands, good speed and definitely knows where the goals are. He needs to work on his consistency, because the talent is there.

#3 Port Adelaide - Jordan Wilson (179cm defender - Darwin/North Adelaide)

I'd look at Wilson if I were GWS, but I think they'll only use so many zone selections and Wilson would probably be the one to miss. Has been splitting his time between the NT side, North Adelaide and school football. Playing as a small defender, Wilson is extremely composed down back and always seems to make the right decision. Just a really clean and smart footballer.

#4 Brisbane – Darren Pfeiffer (184cm midfielder – Norwood)

Former first round draft pick, Pfeiffer is 24 now and had returned to Norwood. Has rediscovered his best form this season, playing both through the midfield and as the general across half back. His skills are as good as ever and he excels in setting up the play. I’d really like to see him get another chance on an AFL list.

#5 Adelaide - Justin Clarke (195cm defender - Booleroo, Melrose, Wilmington)

Tall 17 year old playing CHB in the Northern Areas Football Association, very much a country boy. North Adelaide have been trying to get him out to play SANFL, but he only came down for one reserves game as he has preferred to focus on his school and work on the farm. I was up in Orroroo about 6 weeks ago and I heard from a couple of locals at the football about this kid that had interest from the AFL. Forgot all about him, until there was a story on him in the newspaper a couple of weeks back where they said scouts from up to 8 teams took the three hour drive to see him play. Definitely a prospect to watch given the lack of standout features in the games of other KPPs going around.

#6 Melbourne - Jason Nyskohus (179cm midfielder - Port Adelaide)

Some people might recognise the name, apparently his uncles have played soccer for Australia. But Jason has taken the smart route, and played real football. Midfielder/half back who is one of the better tacklers in the SANFL, also has a decent turn of speed. Has a neat right foot, although he tends to put a bit too much air on his kicks. Nice looking player, and should have plenty of room for growth.

#7 Richmond – Mat Suckling (182cm midfielder – Norwood)

Another mature aged player out of Norwood, and he is one of the better clearance and contested ball winners in the SANFL. For an inside player, he also has a very good kick on him – would probably rate up there with the best in the AFL too. Would be a very good rookie selection in my opinion.

#8 Fremantle – Lee Spurr (185cm midfielder - Central Districts)

Was a bit of talk around Spurr as a potential GWS pre-listing, with several clubs showing real interest in the 24 year old. Did his chances no harm by nearly winning the SANFL GF off his own boot last week, dominated the final term. He can play pretty much anywhere on the ground, is good in the air and has good skills. Really should be on an AFL list.

#9 Western Bulldogs – Kory Beard (194cm defender - Port Adelaide)

Big, strong 21 year old defender from the SANFL. Kory was invited to the SA state screening last year and has trained with the Power a couple of times before, but he has really stepped up his game playing in the back lines this year. Excellent mark and has a good understanding of the game, can also zone off his man and provide another rebounding option.

#10 North Melbourne - Peter Persinos (170cm forward - Norwood)

Player I've been keen on for a while, but wasn't 100% sure if he was eligible this year or not. Have seen him go around in the U18s in the SANFL for a few years now, and has made his way into the seniors for Norwood too. He is only a small guy, but he uses the ball really well and is quick. Has the knack for finding the goals from seemingly anywhere. Little surprised there hasn't been more talk about him, didn't even get a state screening invite it seems.

#11 Essendon - Aseri Raikiwasa (191cm defender - Port Adelaide)

One of my favourite defensive prospects in the draft, but is more of a late selection. He has been working with the another Fijian defender in Alipate Carlile. And when it comes to Aseri you can guarantee that nobody will be working harder to make it. He performed strongly for SA, and has already become a leader on the field. He has a great build, so development will likely be about defensive work as opposed to strength.

#12 St Kilda – Luke Rander (196cm forward – Norwood)

One of a few young Norwood key forwards, it will be interesting to see how many get picked up. Picked in the SA squad, but didn’t feature in the Championships. Spent the season playing in the U18s for Norwood, rotating through the ruck and forward line. Strong body for an 18 year old, finished with 26 goal for the season.

#13 Sydney – Daniel Kulikowski (179cm midfielder – Port Adelaide)

Overlooked in the draft last year, I was keen on him as a potential rookie but it wasn’t to be. Wasn’t invited to the state screening this year, so not sure whether he is still on the radar or not. Started as a hard running defender, has worked his way into the midfield and into the seniors this year at Port Adelaide. Hard working and aggressive player.

#14 Carlton – Matthew Appleton (184cm midfielder – Woodville West Torrens)

Wasn’t part of the South Australian U18 squad this year, but has been around the scene in underaged SANFL for a couple of years. Plays up in the midfield on a wing, he split his time between U18 and Reserves football for the Eagles. Has shown the ability to win the ball, a few more goals wouldn’t go astray.

#15 West Coast – Lachie Neale (177cm midfielder – Glenelg)

Just a little guy, but that has never stopped him before. Is versatile enough for a sub 180cm player, can go forward with good effect or win his own ball in the midfield. Seems to be able to step up to every level, and he goes through the U18s to reserves and to league football for Glenelg.

#16 Hawthorn – Drew Gallard (188cm midfielder – West Adelaide)

Seems to be a bit of a forgotten player of sorts. Is another from the Henley football factory, and again was named in the SA squad but didn’t play in the Championships. I quite like him though, is a nice size and plays an attacking game. Is a running defender/midfielder, and showed in the SANFL U18s that he can be a big ball winner while using it very effectively.

#17 Collingwood – Nick Dinham (197cm forward – Norwood)

As a tall forward, Dinham offers a fair bit to work with. Obviously has the height, but he also has the tank. Unlike a lot of players his size, he tends to play up at CHF and runs hard both up the ground and back. Was invited to the State Screening last weekend.

#18 Geelong - Tom Langford (193cm forward - Norwood)

19 year old kid from Nowood, who doesn't exactly have a big profile. Was part of the initial U18 SA squad last year, but missed the final cut. And instead has just been going about his football quietly with Norwood. Averaged 2 goals a game in the reserves this year, and recently made his senior debut. Has very strong hands and a big tank for a key forward, looms as a nice project in my opinion.

West Australian Rookie Draft

#1 GWS – Nathan Blee (192cm defender – East Perth)

21 year old defender from the WAFL, not a real big body but a good defender nonetheless. Is a really nice prospect, uses his speed well while defending on the lead and is strength and positioning allows himself to compete in one-on-one contests. Could also be freed up to use his run in setting up play from the back half.

#2 Gold Coast – Chad Sandilands (204cm ruckman – East Fremantle)

Yes, he is the brother of Aaron Sandilands. A very raw prospect, should only be taken in the rookie draft as it will be a long time until he is AFL ready. Played Colts football this season, finished with lots of hit outs but basically nothing around the ground. So a bit like an early Aaron really. Not sure he'll ever fill out like his older brother, but he got an invite to the WA state screening and should at the very least be interesting to watch develop.

#3 Port Adelaide – Haydn Busher (193cm defender - Perth)

20 year old KPP from Perth, I would have been tempted to rookie list him in the past two drafts. In his draft year, Busher was named at CHB in the Colts team of the year. Took a while to break out of Colts level, but since then he has been a regular in the Perth league team playing both up forward (25 goals this year) and down back. Strong player and a solid book end type.

#4 Brisbane – Kyal Horsley (182cm midfielder - Subiaco)

I don't think it would be a bad idea for Brisbane to look at another mature aged midfielder, and as foot skills seem to be the order of the day, that leaves 23 year old Horsley. Like Broughton and Mzungu before him, a move into the midfield this year has paid off big time for Horsley as he is averaging a career high 24 touches a game while his tackle count has rocketed up too. His left boot gets him a shot ahead of some other more well known mature prospects.

#5 Adelaide – Will Shea (179cm forward – Swan Districts)

Only 179cm and 72kg, but Shea has already played senior football in the WAFL. Is a proper crumbing forward, who was named in the Colts team of the year this season. Lots to like about him, really good speed and he can break through packs with it. Doesn’t just hang out behind the packs waiting for the ball to come out either. I think he’ll be a bit of a fan favourite.

#6 Melbourne – Haiden Schloithe (183cm forward – South Fremantle)

I haven’t always been as impressed with Schloithe as others. Looks quite unrefined at times, and his disposal isn’t always where it should be. Think his best football will be played as a defensive forward, although again he needs to have a real impact on the scoreboard – something he hasn’t really done to date. Can win lots of the ball, and is an incredible tackler highlighted with a 16 tackle game in the Colts this year.

#7 Richmond – Alex Howard (191cm defender – Swan Districts)

Not a real big defender, although he is 87kg so could be one to surprise early on. In the U18s, he was WA’s best defender and his football smarts really showed. Is good in one on ones and his ability above his head, both marking and spoiling, is impressive. Only played 3 Colts game this year, the rest was spent with WA or in the seniors. Needs to win more of the ball though.

#8 Fremantle – Joel Hamling (193cm forward – Claremont)

Tall forward from Claremont, got a national draft combine invite this year. He has ability as a KPP, pretty athletic and mobile. Also has a nice leap on him, but that has hurt his game somewhat in my opinion as he has been put in the ruck more often than he should. But admittedly this has let him get more involved in the midfield and defence. For Fremantle fans, he’d be another Houghton/Shepheard type project.

#9 Western Bulldogs – Ryan Cook (186cm midfielder – South Fremantle)

Former Collingwood player, he spent four years on their list so although he didn’t play a heap of games he was obviously doing something right. I always liked the look of him, and his move to South Fremantle was a good one and he finished as their B&F this year. I think he still has more to offer.

#10 North Melbourne – Corey Gault (197cm ruckman – Swan Districts)

Part time ruckman/forward, Gault is still developing but offers a lot to work with – seems a perfect rookie candidate. Has played for WA and in all three levels in the WAFL this year. Good athleticism for someone his size, he also has decent foot skills and can take a strong grab. Was invited to the national draft combine, so he obviously has his fans.

#11 Essendon – Angelo Thomas (180cm defender – Claremont)

I really like Thomas, think he could be a pretty special player. Was invited to the WA state screening but missed it as he was out bush near Broome somewhere. Sounds like he’ll get another chance to do the testing, and looks to be serious about an AFL career. Very quick player who offers a lot as a rebounding defender, perhaps needs to stick to basics more often but who doesn’t love a player who takes the game on.

#12 St Kilda – Alex Devitt (191cm forward – Peel)

A nice looking player up around half forward, strong mark and a pretty good kick. If he had more of an impact on the scoreboard, then I think he would be talked about more often. At this stage, nothing is really guaranteed. Can push up and get involved in the play, a little like Tom Lynch who the Saints got rid of in trade week.

#13 Sydney – Matthew Jupp (191cm defender – East Fremantle)

Full back in the Colts team of the year this season, Jupp is a solid if unspectacular player. Just tends to go about his business, does look to lack just a yard or two of pace so can get caught out by the more mobile forwards. But he manages to get around that and defends well, and can also play further up the ground at CHB.

#14 Carlton – Rhys Waters (180cm midfielder – Subiaco)

Captain of the Subiaco Colts side, Waters is one of those unassuming but ultra-professional players. Consistently racks up 20+ touches, he also averaged 4 tackles a game and kicked 27 goals in 11 Colts games. Made his league debut in the WAFL this year, and was in Subiaco’s best players in his first game.

#15 West Coast – Alroy Gilligan (177cm forward – Claremont)

20 years old now, Gilligan spent time on Richmond’s rookie list but spent his time either injured or in the VFL. He has gone back to the WAFL now, and has become a more consistent player. He has always been highly rated, has definite x-factor and can play in any number of positions. Well worth another shot, perhaps a WA side would be his best bet.

#16 Hawthorn – Cameron Symonds (201cm ruckman – East Fremantle)

19 year old Colts ruckman, and unlike most of the guys he comes up against he is actually a ruckman – not a KPP who has been thrown in the middle because he is over 190cm. Needs to have more of an impact around the ground and up forward, but he already has the size so there is enough to work with.

#17 Collingwood – Justin Joyce (179cm midfielder – Subiaco)

Another Subiaco midfielder, and very much like Rhys Waters – except for the goal scoring. Big ball winner and tackler, Joyce has good skills and looks to be a smart player on the field. From all reports, is also a smart player off the field. Made his league debut after 5 consecutive BOGs in the Colts.

#18 Geelong – Kieran Butcher (183cm midfielder – Peel)

Butcher was overlooked in the draft last year, after gaining some attention as a possible late round or rookie pick up. I wouldn’t say he has necessarily improved since last year, he has just continued to go about his game and finish with over 20 touches basically every week. He’s the ideal type for the rookie list, as he could come in early if required.

NSW/TAS/QLD/NT Rookie Draft

#1 GWS - John McKenzie (177cm midfielder - South Launceston)

The fifth Tasmanian to be taken in my draft, and this time it's the captain. McKenzie was picked in the All Australian side, although as a forward despite being an inside midfielder. While he is a classic midfielder who can win his own ball and has decent skills to match, his size is unfortunately going to count against him. I know some people rate him highly, but I see the rookie draft as being his go.

#2 Gold Coast - Dylan Riley (182cm midfielder - South Launceston)

Outside running midfielder/half back from Tasmania, there is a lot to like about Riley as a player. He's one of those types who you know what you're going to get from each game, but is also more than just a solid player. His skills are good, and he marks well for a small. Tackling pressure is probably one of the highlights of his game.

#3 Port Adelaide - Ben Brown (197cm ruckman - Devonport)

Big 19 year old ruckman/key forward, think everyone pretty much knows who he is after last year. Very good mark and speed for a ruckman, and equally good on the ground. If it wasn't for a knee injury, he would have been drafted last year.

#4 Brisbane – Richard Newell (186cm midfielder - NSW/Brisbane)

This selection is a given, just a matter of if they put him on their senior list or rookie list. Moved up to Queensland earlier in the year and has been training with the Lions too - apparently blitzing everything this week. The kid is a very good athlete, disposal could use a bit of work so that is why he seems like a rookie prospect.

#5 Adelaide - Liam Corrie (180cm forward - NT Thunder)

Really talented 19 year old with a long history now - youngest player to make a league debut for South Adelaide, major injuries and a try out with Richmond last year. Has everything you want from a small forward - skills, leap and tackling pressure. Moved to the NT this year for a fresh start, perhaps didn't have the results he was hoping for though.

#6 Melbourne - Ross Tungatulum (175cm forward - NT Thunder)

Some will remember the name as the former St Kilda rookie, and since his delisting he has gone back to the NT and has improved out of sight. Really matured too. Excellent forward crumber and strong defensively, Ross would be ready to play from Round 1. Don't think any team would have problems keeping him either.

#7 Richmond – Sam Cabrera (203cm ruckman - Queensland)

I'm not totally sure what the situation with Cabrera is. I believe he is a part of the Lions Academy next year? So might not actually be nominating for this draft, and will continue on as a 19 year old in the hopes of maybe being a zone pick for Brisbane? Anyway, for all the frankly ridiculous hype with Brewer I would take this basketball convert over him.

#8 Fremantle – Larry Owen (194cm defender - Hobart)

19 year old key defender, who was overlooked in the draft last year. But I reckon he is a good prospect. He can run all day and is agile. Kicking style is not textbook but it isn't bad considering, can kick the ball a fair way. Some of his best football is when he can zone off and rebound, so getting better in the one on ones is what he'll be working on.

#9 Western Bulldogs – Sam Michael (196cm ruckman - Redlands)

A big 19 year old kid from Queensland, Michael has long been around the mark but perhaps hasn't quite lived up the expectations on him. But he has performed pretty well in the NEAFL this year as ruckman/forward. He moves well which is why he has success playing in the middle, but can take a strong grab too. Will need to develop his game either forward or back at AFL level.

#10 North Melbourne - David Coward (176cm midfielder - NSW Rams)

A coward, he is not. Like what I did there? Just a small guy but an invite to the state screening suggests interest and for good reason too. Really impressive athletically, will run all day. Has also shown the ability to play in the midfield, down back and up forward. How high is his ceiling? I don't know, but is worth a rookie spot.

#11 Essendon - Nick Ryan (198cm forward - St George)

Another big guy from NSW, and another Scholarship holder. Injuries meant he didn't get on the field much last year, but he has come back strongly this year winning the AFL Sydney Rising Star award. Very big kick and a strong grab. Spending time in the ruck has also helped his running game.

#12 St Kilda – Michael Musicka (184cm midfielder - South Launceston)

I quite like Musicka. History says only so many Tasmanians will get picked, but on AFL attributes alone I would probably have him ahead of McKenzie. Quick winger who can run off half back, good mark too. Some suggestions of behavioural issues earlier in the year, but I'd give him a shot.

#13 Sydney – Jackson Potter (178cm midfielder - Pennant Hills)

Swans Academy member, and apparently has been invited to train with Sydney heading into the drafts too. Along with his state screening invite, things are looking pretty good for Jackson's prospects. Is a strong midfielder despite being sub 180cm, goes in hard and has pretty good skills too.

#14 Carlton – Matthew Lodge (186cm defender - Riverview)

A scholarship player for Carlton, don't know what his chances there are like but he does look a likely type. Pretty much seems like a younger version of Nick Duigan - strong courageous type, who typically plays on taller opponents.

#15 West Coast – Oliver Tweeddale (194cm defender - Belconnen)

Another Essendon Scholarship holder, it will be interesting to see what happens with him. Has a lot of potential, particularly for a KPP - has pretty much played every position imaginable so he could be developed into whatever. But the performances haven't really been there, so it isn't a given that Essendon will take him. But I can see someone liking his potential.

#16 Hawthorn – Tim Mosquito (178cm defender - Waratahs)

Don't actually have a height for him, so I've just guessed but basically he is a small defender. For those who watched Manson play in the NTFL, you might remember seeing young Mosquito and if you were anything like me you were more impressed with him than Manson. Very quick, very creative running defender with good skills. Has also performed well defensively, shutting out Tungatulum for example.

#17 Collingwood – William Farrer (180cm forward - Southern Districts)

This one is for Snoop. A long shot, but well worth a chance. He is your typical forward from the NT, huge leap and always seems to just pluck those contested marks. The fact that he has played in the ruck pretty much says how good his jump is.

#18 Geelong - Trad Duggan (180cm defender - Glenorchy)

How good is that for a name? Only played the two games for Tasmania in the U18s, and was stretchered off in that second game with a concussion. Was injured a fair bit of this season, so he might miss out this year. I just think he is a good solid player. Does everything pretty well, doesn't seem unlike fellow Taswegian Jesse Crichton.

GWS Zone Selections

Thought I would add in some zone selections, considering some of the guys who are eligible to go to GWS would feature in my draft - and quite high too. Previously I had just left them out, but figured they should be included. I don't know if there are limits to the numbers or anything, so I just stuck with 3 from NSW and 3 from NT.

NSW/ACT - Marcus Crook (185cm defender - Ainslie)

Mature aged guy out of Canberra, who played for GWS in the NAB Cup this year. He played well for them earlier in the year, and has continued with his good form in the NEAFL including a best on ground performance in the Eastern Conference grand final. Attacking half back who can play further up the field, has a good turn of speed and great foot skills. Even if GWS doesn't take him, someone will.

NSW/ACT - Harry Cunningham (181cm midfielder - Turvey Park)

Only eligible for this draft by about three weeks, Cunningham is one of the top two players out of NSW this year in my opinion. Another quick midfielder, he has had a few different injuries over the years but he has been playing good football this year including some time with GWS as a top up player.

NSW/ACT - Sam Milne (176cm midfielder - Murray Bushrangers)

Just a small kid, but the best prospect out of NSW this year and I would have him in the 20-30 range on the open market. A fearless inside midfielder who does all the hard things and rarely wastes a disposal, he is just exactly what you want from a young player. Would be the perfect player to learn from the likes of Scully, Ward and Palmer.

NT - Kelvin Williams (189cm defender - Darwin)

With Damian Williams and Curtly Hampton already at the club, GWS can add to their NT talent here. Kelvin Williams is a nice size for a defender and is one of only a few NT kids to get invites to the Draft Combine. Can play on both smalls and talls, and is just a smart player who reads the ball well.

NT - Louis Eggar (184cm midfielder - Federal)

Probably my favourite of the NT kids on offer this year, and he has had interest from a number of clubs. Don't quite know what it is about him that I like, but he is just a really good all round talent. Can't fault him athletically, but it's probably the fact that he is tough at the contest which is his greatest strength.

NT - Gibson Turner (178cm forward - Federal)

Turner is another one of those who has been splitting his playing time between the NT, Glenelg and school football as he is living in Adelaide for his schooling. Really skillful player with again some real speed, he is a smart player up forward and leads really well. Showed in the U18 Championships and in U18 football for Glenelg that he knows how to kick a goal.

Wow.

Thanks so much for your efforts

Grigg at 46 will amaze many and maybe kerridge too. Kavanagh at 15 would delight us, but would think we'd go Grigg at 25

I'll wait to see O'Hanlon in your RD?

Gee, if I did a mock draft you would think I'm an idiot

Thanks Chris good job.

Dont know if hawks would take a key forward with their first pick with Buddy, Roughead and now Gunston set to be their awhile.
As Emma Quayle said Hawks only plan on using two live picks and upgrade Breust with their third pick.
Id say only glaring thing we lack is pacey midfield runners.
Would be happy with Ellis-Yolmen, Hill or Kerridge :thumbsu:

Great job love the detail and thought you have put into. On my own team Essendon have only made 3 free spots so far on the main list. Also we will be promoting Crameri with one our picks. So either have to get rid of 2 players and add Crameri or get rid of one player and add Crameri.

always enjoy reading your drafts chris, and this is no excpetion. i actually never even thought about us using our first pick on devon smith but he really is a little goer isnt he. i always thought that we would use our first pick on tal or an inside midfieler but i would not be dissapointed with smith.

also chris you don't have any footage of fraser mcinness and waylen manson that i could see do you? i still am yet to see any of either of them and they have both been talked up at various stages as an option for us. thanks again chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back