List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

We should only be targeting players who have shown an ability to show up in big moments and big games when the tide is against us.

As someone else said it's like the early 2000s. We need some more grunt (Choppy and Harwick) to help JHF (Carr).

Weak willed or weak minded footballers won't help us no matter how skilful.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting fact brought up by Jimmy Bartel whose insights are good, is that we rate dead last in the league for managing defensive ground balls and have been continualy cut up by oppo smalls. He has advocated the return of dbj to defense as part of a quick part fix. However in terms of FA recruiting I would be looking to prise Blake Hardwick out of the Hawks. At 26 can play both ends, wouldnt be on massive money ,might be gettable. You cant trust Burton, Farrel or Jones in that role.

We should only be targeting players who have shown an ability to show up in big moments and big games when the tide is against us.

As someone else said it's like the early 2000s. We need some more grunt (Choppy and Harwick) to help JHF (Carr).

Suspect these are two reasons they’re keen on Perryman. Has stood up in big games and is good defensively. I’m not sure how good he is with ground balls - suspect he is good?

Suspect these are two reasons they’re keen on Perryman. Has stood up in big games and is good defensively. I’m not sure how good he is with ground balls - suspect he is good?

Perryman seems more mid/wing type, probably need to find someone in the mold or a Maynard who is a campaigner, but good one on one but still generates run. Hardwick was the last real hard nut we had of a halfback. That Hardwick / Wilson combo looks even better in hindsight.

Thats why I'm keen on Blake Hardwick, goes under the radar in a bottom club, but is clean with ball (runs at 80% efficency) and is hard at it.

Perryman seems more mid/wing type, probably need to find someone in the mold or a Maynard who is a campaigner, but good one on one but still generates run. Hardwick was the last real hard nut we had of a halfback. That Hardwick / Wilson combo looks even better in hindsight.

Thats why I'm keen on Blake Hardwick, goes under the radar in a bottom club, but is clean with ball (runs at 80% efficency) and is hard at it.
Perryman, in my opinion, is a Sidebottom type. Nice skills, does the right thing for the situation and able to be relied on in big games.

Perryman, in my opinion, is a Sidebottom type. Nice skills, does the right thing for the situation and able to be relied on in big games.
Was good in GWS game against Brisbane in Canberra, first time I've seen him stand out a bit more with some classy finishing in front of goal. Happy to have as he improves the list, but we still need to find some quality defenders that can run with the small forwards one on one and are good at ground level. Its has been a weak link for a while and is currently killing us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like who?

I’ll keep saying this until I’m blue in the face but we desperately need a tough small defender with pace and agility. I’ve had enough of oppo players like Betts, Rankine, Daniels, Pickett, etc, etc who have a field day when they play us.
Watch stengle,close and miers have a field day. Wonder if dbj goes back again.

I’ll keep saying this until I’m blue in the face but we desperately need a tough small defender with pace and agility. I’ve had enough of oppo players like Betts, Rankine, Daniels, Pickett, etc, etc who have a field day when they play us.

Can you give an example of quick tough small defenders around the league?

I’m not sure there’s many going around. Any players that fit the bill become midfielders.

Luko will come good with a change of club I reckon. Definitely got a lot of talent, might not be able to get him any cheaper than this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Our inability to defend ground balls in our d50 has nothing to do with personnel and everything to do with our system and the space that we create for forwards there.
Disagree. Well sorta.

We need more and better small forwards - they make a huge difference. The loss of SPP can’t be underestimated.

But I also agree, that this game plan doesn’t win a flag - hasn’t for the past decade and no other premiership side has played a style like ours.

Disagree. Well sorta.

We need more and better small forwards - they make a huge difference. The loss of SPP can’t be underestimated.

But I also agree, that this game plan doesn’t win a flag - hasn’t for the past decade and no other premiership side has played a style like ours.
I disagree. Well sorta.

Port don’t need more small forwards, they need better small forwards

Out of the 7 on the list, only SPP and Rioli are proven. DBJ is a proven defender, not a forwards.

Anastopoulos and Charleston are yet to debut, so jury is still out. And Evans is a “break glass option”. McEntee is pure list clogger.

If I was the list manager, McEntee and probably Evans would be delisted as Anastopous and Charleston have another year on their rookie contracts and need time. The problem is, the free agency/delisted free agency market isn’t strong for small forwards.

The problem is about 75% game plan, 25% personnel - mainly due to no adequate injury coverage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back