Autopsy Round 4, 2024 : Hawks get Pied

Remove this Banner Ad

Seamus is super important. We were in desperate need for some speed out of the backline.
Breaking one line completely shifts a teams defence, sets potential for overlap run and pushing forward with more chance of scoring.
We need even more speed and run like he provides.
Come on down Bailey Macdonald

Was just saying before, I can’t remember a Frosty howler in the last four weeks (skill error, bad decision, careless free kick). Been immense. Really happy for him.
One dropped chest mark vs demons and one kick which went along the ground (though actually worked out) last week

Macdonald and Weddle extremely disappointed with both .
Meek and Ramsden were very solid , good to see a ruckman who throws his weight around. Ramsden is still raw but a three tall frwd line may work better for us.
Moore and Hardwick were great inside 50, always looking dangerous.
Scrimshaw is putting together a nice solid season as well.
Ward and McKenzie!! Just imagine in two years!! Froth.
Happy that our mids were a bit better spread as well with Newk the best of them.
GC will beat us next week and easily but onwards and upwards from there on.

View attachment 1953262

Expected score had us breakeven at quarter time and leading just after. The two Chol misses hurt.
I am honestly interested. How was this information / graph generated? What were the parameters?
Agreed the 2 Chol misses hurt the numbers and the result. Did you do one for the Cat’s game? They were so good with their set shots.

More of this please

It’s really great to see your support of our young players but your argument when it comes to Cmac doesn’t hold up. He’s been lazy and not working hard or is really out of form. The footy world has changed, players with 20 games of experience are doing great things for their team coming off rookie lists and late draft selections so I don’t think 50 games is an excuse anymore. I could give you several examples of players impacting games at or around the same age with equal or less experience. Point is, he has done 3 pre seasons, he should be contributing. now the expectations are higher, and rightly so.
What was CMacs role today? Did he close down a player? Did he open space for others? Was he supposed to play like Nick Daicos? Did you watch what he did, as opposed to what you did not see him do?

he should be contributing”….

You should be contributing more by providing something more than a look at possessions.

This is what we have been crying out to see from Meek. Throwing his weight around and playing with agression and intensity. He is a big lump. He finally played like it.
100%… this. But Meek could be better. His follow-up work today was great… but when he has the ball he needs to hold the ball at head height and handpass as he is being tackled. If he does this he will put our players into space. Yes he will be open to get hit in the ribs. And if he is hit, the Hawks plays should get nasty and hit the opposition ruckman in retaliation.

Meek also took a good pack mark today.

The ceiling for Meek is high… and every week he is improving.

Surprising with a much longer break for them. Don’t subscribe to the reigning premiers stuff. They just aren’t that good and it’s the second win we missed this season
peetoo , I will not subscribe to your narrative. A team that won the premiership last year is worthy of note, and your stating that they are not that good is your opinion… while not mine.

The 2nd qtr today was hard to watch. The 2nd half had no flow, no regular system, and was crap.

And then the Hawks beat the Pies in their own game. We won the 2nd half ugly.

I’m an advocate of Dimma staying forward, mainly for the reason Seamus and Bailey MacDonald need games and give us that run. But, if we play Hardwick forward then it has to almost spell the end for Bruest? You can’t play Bruest, Ginni and Dimma. Once the ball hits the ground the lack of leg speed there would kill us. We’ll get injuries so Bruest can still play here and there but going forward will be tough to play them both up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So close guys. Sat next to the coaches box and had a great view of the game.

Very frustrating 1st half. Couldn't get any continuity, everything broke down at the F50 which I could understand with the inexperienced lineup, many which would never have played together

Very satisfying 2nd half, most having been referenced in earlier posts.

Jai, Amon, Scrimmers and Dimma were very good in the 2nd half.

Meek, good game, hoping he can back it up against Witts, Grundy and English in the coming week. If he can do that, the role will be his to lose.

Frost was great for the whole game again.

Ramma, played well enough to keep Darcy quiet and take some good marks. Hoping he can have a run at it and keep improving.

Shammy started the game well and quelled Hill's influence, maybe ran out of juice with his lack of conditioning.

I'll be hoping we can follow this up against GC and chalk up our first win.

Bad start, brilliant second half. Had great seats near the coaches box, great atmosphere and experience. Thought it was all over at half time, till the boys fought back well and gave me some hope. Meek is our best ruckman, keep him in the side! Moorey, Jars, Dimma played well, Ginni had a good game against his old club. If only Chol, Hardwick, Mackenzie or MacDonald had kicked those goals… I’m gonna be in a constant sad state till the next game. Ending was intense, sad result but proud of the lads. Can’t wait to see how we go up at the Gold Coast next week.

Last edited:
Okay, I’ll give you the dropped mark. Maybe a bit of hyperbole in my comment but I stand by it. His good has outweighed the bad by a long way. I had seriously forgotten about that dropped mark.
I agree he has been awesome.

Liked the physicality in the second half.

Not sure if I’m alone in this but I thought besides our effort we actually weren’t anything amazing in the second half? There was no laser precision skills or anything of the like, but seemed to get our way back into it. Feel like the pies are a long way off being in contention this year.
They are ATM. JDG the only one really that played to form. Perhaps J Daicos as well. Nick was ok nothing special just like the rest of them. Once we lifted in all aspects of our game they fell away. Not the sign of a premiership contender.

It seems like an eternity ago that we had a forward that could find space, lead up to the ball carrier and kick straight like Hardwick did today.

Was refreshing and great to watch! More of that please!

Gonna be funny if we've got a freaky forward in the team and he's played 150 games in defence.

Ginnovan needs to be a bit more selfish at times and go for the kick he used to kick 50m goals with Collingwood instead he always thinks he needs to pass it mowadays. Good effort against the premiers maybe we get the first win next week? lol

My criticism of him is that he is thinking it through too much and holds up play as a result, which allowed Collingwood to get back and man up. Would like to see him play a more instinctive game and this includes moving the ball forward as quickly as possible and perhaps having greater confidence in team mates especially, in one on one situations.

Weddle is going to want to come out firing next week after his weak effort in the centre.

The kick did him no favours but he's going to cop it when they review the vision. If he had marked it we were out. It was a real 12 point turn around.

Hopefully we get a good response from him.
The Weddle missed mark has been over-egged on this forum. He had a momentary lapse off concentration when he became aware that another player was closing in on him. He often throws himself into aerial contests against much bigger bodies and wins them as often as he loses them. Just one of many unfortunate moments from different players that lost us the game. He will no doubt reflect on it as he appears to be something of a perfectionist. I doubt the club will make much of it. It is not as if he shirked a contest.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back