Unofficial Preview Changes & Discussion Round 3 v Magpies @ Gabba Easter Thursday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminder!

We're still looking for the most beloved of BF Lions Board posters - preview writers!

It's time to move some magnets.

I would like to see McCarthy play defence. I think he can play that distributor role and he would offer better defensive pressure than Kiddy to boot.

We talk about being stacked in the half forward... Lock Rayner in there... stop rolling him through the midfield. Move Bailey to the wing to use his speed and boot.

Zork can play time at HF while we blood Lohmann or Tunstill or Morris or whoever the long term prospect is as sub.

And to really get eyes rolling - I'd like to see a big body like Prior given midfield minutes if it's not going to be Berry.

It's time to move some magnets.

I would like to see McCarthy play defence. I think he can play that distributor role and he would offer better defensive pressure than Kiddy to boot.

We talk about being stacked in the half forward... Lock Rayner in there... stop rolling him through the midfield. Move Bailey to the wing to use his speed and boot.

Zork can play time at HF while we blood Lohmann or Tunstill or Morris or whoever the long term prospect is as sub.

And to really get eyes rolling - I'd like to see a big body like Prior given midfield minutes if it's not going to be Berry.

So, no defensive pressure in the forward line?

Don't you think it'd be better to play Prior on the ball in the reserves first?

But what has he actually done? Has he shut down a dangerous forward? Has he thwarted several attempts for oppositions entering inside 50? Has he started several scoring chains?
lol, every week. I’m not a Lester fan boy, but he’s very good at reading the play and coming across to help out other defenders, and more than a few times he’s got in to position to stop what looked like a certain goal. And yes, he’s also very good at starting a scoring chain.

I’m not arguing he has to stay in the team, but he’s done all that you asked.

He plays on the weakest forwards. Isn't helping out the key backs. Isn't getting dangerous off half back.

He's solid and a great backup but there's a clear reason why we went hard after a gun like Doedee

I agree with this assessment M Malice - martinson is spot on. Fitzroy had a faster midfield and used to cut sides to ribbons. Also we had one of the all time great mobile goal kicking ruckman in Matt Rendell. He would have MURDERED Oscar McInerney. Micky Conlan was our Charlie Cameron, but to be honest, when he was having a dirty day, he always seemed to find a way to make an impact. He was also a vastly superior kick and he was more able to break crash and crash through. Micky only needed a quarter to win a game.

I always thought that the Fitzroy side during that era just lacked an extra gun defender or two. Pert, Serafini and Roos were superstars but they never really had any A-Graders to support them. Honourable mentions to Chris Smith, Chris Hansen, Neville Taylor and Graeme Hinchin. What they did have were players who tried their guts out and got the best out of themselves. We were also competing against ‘once in a generation’ teams Carlton (Three Flags), Hawthorn (Two Flags) and Essendon (Two Flags) during the years in question. Richmond also won a flag in 1980. The competition was HOT and it is worth remembering, we only had a Top 5 finals system.

This was Fitzroy’s most convincing win during the period in question. I rate this above the 1979 Record Score against Melbourne, because when we beat North Melbourne at the Junction Oval in 1983, they were on top of the ladder.

As far as coaches go, I would rank them
1. David Parkin (4 Premierships)
2. Robert Walls (1 Premiership)
3. Bill Stephen
4. Chris Fagan

Walls and Parkin were great tacticians and they developed some champion footballers. They also got the best out of their players. Bill Stephen was a quiet man, but shrewd. He promoted an aggressive and attacking game style that stunned opponents. He was also deeply respected by the Fitzroy Community. All three of them could be brutal at selection.

Fagan is miles off.

Leigh Carlson was more than handy during that era.

lol, every week. I’m not a Lester fan boy, but he’s very good at reading the play and coming across to help out other defenders, and more than a few times he’s got in to position to stop what looked like a certain goal. And yes, he’s also very good at starting a scoring chain.

You think we're in a position to leave out someone very good at reading the play and intercepting and very good at starting a scoring chain like you say?

That doesn't make any sense

I agree. Very few players should be automatic selections. Our problem has been that we have had too many players who have been automatic selections, irrespective of form. Lester needs to fight to keep his place in the team and I would like to think that Berry, Rayner, McCarthy, Starcevich, Wilmott, Fletcher, Robertson, Dunkley, McInerney, Answerth, Bailey, Ah Chee, Lyons and Zorko are under the same pressure. As far as I am concerned, the only automatic selections for the seniors are Andrews, Neale, Cameron and Daniher.
Pretty much agree but I would add McCluggage and Dunkley to that list.

Every week there's people bobbing up making a case as to why Lester shouldn't be in the side. When for the most part he's played well and done all you could ask.

And we have players probably on 2-3 times as much money dropping stinkers.

Talk about whipping boys.

Yet every excuse under the sun for those that have over promised and under delivered.

Apart from that with our current crop of injuries and Payne yet to work out in his head whether he's up to it or not Lester is one player we need.

I don't see that changing with the options we presently have .

The other nutty thing is blaming a backman for opposition goals when the midfield hardly touches the ball for half an hour at a time.

Houdini wouldn't have stopped some of those goals Lester copped a whack here for. Unreasonably so.

So, no defensive pressure in the forward line?

Don't you think it'd be better to play Prior on the ball in the reserves first?

There is plenty of scope for forward pressure.

While Charlie has the look of fear in his eyes every time he has a shot at goal his sole purpose should be F50 pressure until he regains form. Rayner needs to learn to apply himself at a contest and the added responsibility of that won't hurt. Who ever comes in also has to learn and understand that a huge part of their role is pressure.

As for Prior - why?

"Jaxon - here's what we want you to do. Stand beside player X AND DO NOT LET HIM GET THE BALL. Once you have done that if the ball is loose, chase it win it and boot the cover off it as far as you can forward. Then... do it again".

It's not rocket science and the way the midfield has let the opposition walk the ball out for 60+ minutes lately he can't do worse.

There is plenty of scope for forward pressure.

While Charlie has the look of fear in his eyes every time he has a shot at goal his sole purpose should be F50 pressure until he regains form. Rayner needs to learn to apply himself at a contest and the added responsibility of that won't hurt. Who ever comes in also has to learn and understand that a huge part of their role is pressure.

As for Prior - why?

"Jaxon - here's what we want you to do. Stand beside player X AND DO NOT LET HIM GET THE BALL. Once you have done that if the ball is loose, chase it win it and boot the cover off it as far as you can forward? Then... do it again".

It's not rocket science and the way the midfield has let the opposition walk the ball out for 60+ minutes again lately he can't do worse.
I wouldn't be playing Prior in the forward line personally but I can see the case you're making is a reasonable one and we do have a couple of sooks and show ponies who are great when they're on a roll but not so hot when things aren't going their way.

So getting back to basics is the best medicine for them.

100% Correct 👍

Apart from that with our current crop of injuries and Payne yet to work out in his head whether he's up to it or not Lester is one player we need.

I don't see that changing with the options we presently have .

The other nutty thing is blaming a backman for opposition goals when the midfield hardly touches the ball for half an hour at a time.

Houdini wouldn't have stopped some of those goals Lester copped a whack here for. Unreasonably so.
100% Correct 👍
Nutty thing 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be playing Prior in the forward line personally but I can see the case you're making is a reasonable one and we do have a couple of sooks and show ponies who are great when they're on a roll but not so hot when things aren't going their way.

So getting back to basics is the best medicine for them.
Actually I want Jaxon in the midfield as our big bodied mid :)

We seem to have gone into peak everything's on the table analysis of how we can shuffle the deck to improve our performance so I'll be very surprised if we don't turn in a good solid effort next Thursday. Especially at home.

Actually I want Jaxon in the midfield as our big bodied mid :)
He'll gutrun and bust his arse both ways. We look too lazy at the moment and need some workhorse type players who can dash back repeatedly and help defense.

Someone like Saints have been so well drilled in this area, I was watching on Thursday how their players sprinted away to open wing area when switch was on and they needed options to kick to. There was no guarantee the ball was coming their way but they sprinted regardless.

Keays was doing the same for Adelaide last night. Same with Max Holmes and Gryan Miers for Cats, who were gut running end to end.

He'll gutrun and bust his arse both ways. We look too lazy at the moment and need some workhorse type players who can dash back repeatedly and help defense.

Someone like Saints have been so well drilled in this area, I was watching on Thursday how their players sprinted away to open wing area when switch was on and they needed options to kick to. There was no guarantee the ball was coming their way but they sprinted regardless.

Keays was doing the same for Adelaide last night. Same with Max Holmes and Gryan Miers for Cats, who were gut running end to end.
The difference in what we've dished up and how several sides have comitted in that way has been stark.

Hopefully our boys have been shown vision of some of these games as to what is required this year.

The difference in what we've dished up and how several sides have comitted in that way has been stark.

Hopefully our boys have been shown vision of some of these games as to what is required this year.
I genuinely think a lot of these issues are because a lot of the players fee certain things are beneath them and that because we are supposedly good side that we don’t need to do these sorts of things mpal raised otherwise you’d think players would instinctually do.

I genuinely think a lot of these issues are because a lot of the players fee certain things are beneath them and that because we are supposedly good side that we don’t need to do these sorts of things mpal raised otherwise you’d think players would instinctually do.
Our 2 losses certainly had the feel of a team drinking their own bathwater about them.

Hopefully they have received the metaphorical kick up the backside they need.

Our 2 losses certainly had the feel of a team drinking their own bathwater about them.

Hopefully they have received the metaphorical kick up the backside they need.
Certainly hoping we don’t see a repeat of their Traditional In-game Nap Time. #TINT
You would think Fagan laid down the law after the Fremantle game. If they fall asleep in a game again, it really will be on Fagan.

You think we're in a position to leave out someone very good at reading the play and intercepting and very good at starting a scoring chain like you say?

That doesn't make any sense
I didn't argue any of that. That's your sh!t show with martinson and 3KZ is Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back