Autopsy Round 7, 2020: Adelaide v St.Kilda *BYRNES DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is tracking really well for someone who turns 21 in October and has only played 20 odd games.
Can't wait to see him when his confidence grows more and he takes the game on more regularly.
A slower burn than most on here would have liked but I can't see a reason why he can't become one of our most important players go forward.
Agreed. He has a great set of talents which make him such a good prospect. He's a great intercept mark, a great kick and has pace. Hard to think of the right comparison for him.

Also it's great to see Coff putting himself in the hole and his intercepting. Besides Carlisle, not since Chips Fisher have we had someone look as good at setting up off Hlalf back IMO. Wikie and buckets have great hands but not the run of Coff. Very excited to see how he goes after 50 games.

My prediction:
His marking will get better and better.
The biggest improvement will com frmo his decision making and his kicking. I expect him to start takig more and more risks with his kicks, cutting through zones and congestions.
Hopefully from games 60 - 100 we can see him develop as a midfielder too in the Elliot Yeo mould. As an under 18 player his strengths were his composure and decision making, as well as his disposal. With his size and athleticism, his scope is seriously high. He has shown an ability to develop as amid although for the foreseeable future he must stay at half back. For comparison, in terms of development I feel he is 40 games of where Clark is where Clarke will mostly get some midfield minutes in every game but predominately plays off half back.

Last night highlighted how incredibly important it is to find a gun inside mid.
We lose all momentum when teams clamp down on our forward run and our runners get drawn into the contest. Someone to support Steele feeding it out will do wonders.

Howard... great game. Love him getting angry. Sometimes people need to be held accountable by their peers.

Lonie beyond frustrating. Too much greed. Yet when he did the team stuff we scored and he even got one himself.

Byrnes not ready. Had a taste and back he goes. Good learning experience for him.

A lot of debate around Marshall and Ryder. So I’ll say this.... IN MY OPINION Marshall was the biggest culprit in our loss last week. Got smashed. Didn’t give enough of a contest. Until he learns how to have an impact on his bad days, then I am more then happy to keep using the two rucks. I want people to earn the right to earn there debut or be the man up forward or to be our sole ruck. His good is excellent. His poor really hurts us. Just like it did last week. Next week Port will rotate 2/3 ruckmen, not the time to drop Ryder.

How bloody good was Marshall last year? I want to see more of that instead of a slight increase in hit out effectiveness.

Marshalls influence around the ground last year is worth more than what Ryder brings.

Let's cheer on a champion performer in a losing team... it's the stkilda tradition!

In an ideal world we wouldn't need ryder to give our crappy midfield a leg up- but the fact is we do.

As soon as we improve our midfield in 2021 and beyond, sure roma solo is the way to go.
But for now, we need roma to take a back seat and be a solid contributor so the team can win games of football.

I try not to be the guy that complains about umpiring, but holy hell this game tested my patience. All I ask is to call it both ways...whether that means letting them play vs over umpiring. I have a hard time understanding how those umpires can sleep at night. Do you f-in job properly you clowns.

Well I complained loudly the whole night, both on my couch and on here after the game, and by all the talk everywhere in the media, I was obviously justified, and it wasn’t just me being an admittedly one-eyed supporter.
It was bad.

49 free kicks in a game equates to approximately 12 in a quarter which has been reduced to 16 minutes. A serious issue here.

Are you happy with what he is doing with those kicks? His metres gained (I think just about the ket stat for his type of player) ranking is 44 in a list that is dominated by wingmen and elite mids. Yes he is getting 20 touches a game but I don't feel he is having the impact he could have. Not sure if that is the coaches plan or JB just does not have the confidence to take the game on.
Slow down champion.

Meters gained is a very one sided stat. It doesn’t provide any relevance to how effective the actual disposal was.

Rewatch the game, or any game this year of JBs. His ball retention is fantastic. He sets us up very well. He also has had significant score board impact this season. Is one of the All Australian wingman for me right now.

I don't think it can be underestimated that we were a player down from mid 1st Qtr.

68 interchanges to 89 means we had to adjust our style to conserve energy and ensure we didn't get overrun when the challenge came. Even more so considering the short break.

It's one of the reasons we probably didn't put them to the sword after half time. I'm sure if the team was healthy, we would've continued to attack but a decision was made to try to conserve, book the four points and look to next week.

You'll notice we really started to tempo, then lifted when challenged to kick away then played tempo again. To me this was impressive and showed a maturity in the team.

There was also a play with Max on the far side wing in the last where he showed composure, agility and class

And definitely not enough love for that bullet pass from Jones to Ming!

Absolutely loved the passion from Howard. You don't want 22 players with that level of vocal aggression but we've had a very passive team in terms of calling each other out since Roo and Goddard.

I reckon he's been pretty good all year and has been criticised harshly but last night was definitely his best game. Looked fantastic.

Howard holds himself accountable, and expects his team-mates to do likewise. You can definitely see he has leadership qualities which we've sorely missed.

Jake seems to be feasting off his enthusiasm, and maybe it's also driving a bit of Coffield's improvement as well - our backline looks really, really solid, with more improvement to come.

I've really been enjoying seeing the 2017 crop - Clark, Coffield and Paton - grow as a unit every game. Those three are going to be main stays in this side for years to come. And while they will make mistakes every game, I love that they don't let those mistakes stop them from taking the game on at the next opportunity.

Can't imagine they would drop byrnes after 1 week.

I think they may and fair enough. It’s a five day turnaround and if Hanners is fit he needs to play.
Not a slight on the kid, he got a taste.

Also it's great to see Coff putting himself in the hole and his intercepting. Besides Carlisle, not since Chips Fisher have we had someone look as good at setting up off Hlalf back IMO. Wikie and buckets have great hands but not the run of Coff. Very excited to see how he goes after 50 games.

My prediction:
His marking will get better and better.
The biggest improvement will com frmo his decision making and his kicking. I expect him to start takig more and more risks with his kicks, cutting through zones and congestions.
Hopefully from games 60 - 100 we can see him develop as a midfielder too in the Elliot Yeo mould. As an under 18 player his strengths were his composure and decision making, as well as his disposal. With his size and athleticism, his scope is seriously high. He has shown an ability to develop as amid although for the foreseeable future he must stay at half back. For comparison, in terms of development I feel he is 40 games of where Clark is where Clarke will mostly get some midfield minutes in every game but predominately plays off half back.
Completely agree! Which is why it’s so important to continue to play him, even if he has a poor run of form. Need to keep backing him in and let him continue to gain confidence. Let him know he’s a very important part of the side and his game and confidence should sky rocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they may and fair enough. It’s a five day turnaround and if Hanners is fit he needs to play.
Not a slight on the kid, he got a taste.

Joey Montagna got 4 touches in his first game, and was dropped for the rest of the season.
Didn't do him any long term harm.

byrnes was meh, he's not ready. good to debut him though. has some pace but still a long way off.
One thing with Byrnes, there were 2 occasions I remember he worked really hard to present an option and Billings and Clark both fluffed the kick which ****ed him over. If they hit he gets a few more touches and some more confidence

Howard holds himself accountable, and expects his team-mates to do likewise. You can definitely see he has leadership qualities which we've sorely missed.

Jake seems to be feasting off his enthusiasm, and maybe it's also driving a bit of Coffield's improvement as well - our backline looks really, really solid, with more improvement to come.
They bounced back really well. I was critical of the defensive cohesion last week but it was quality last night. Very few of the crows' goals were due to errors from the defence.

Howard has something about him. Great closing speed to get a spoil in. Big leap over packs to get a spoil. Backs himself to go for the intercept, which we saw more of last night. Plus he has leadership which was saw last night.

I haven't really seen this mentioned, but Geary's job on Smith was outstanding.

Look at these stats from Smith comparing rd6 v rd7
Disposals 31 v 12
Marks 4 v 2
Score 1.1 v 0.0
Score Involvements 4 v 0 (Adelaide only scored 9 times in rd6)
Effective Disposals 22 v 6
Meters Gained 264 v 662
He's doing a really useful role. JJ, Docherty and Smith are three good scalps to claim. Shutting down DBJ would help a lot at against Port.

I've really been enjoying seeing the 2017 crop - Clark, Coffield and Paton - grow as a unit every game. Those three are going to be main stays in this side for years to come. And while they will make mistakes every game, I love that they don't let those mistakes stop them from taking the game on at the next opportunity.

Ben Paton and Jake Kelly had the most intercepts in the game : 8
Coffield and Howard had 7, matching the Crows, Doedee
Carlisle had 6

Let's cheer on a champion performer in a losing team... it's the stkilda tradition!

In an ideal world we wouldn't need ryder to give our crappy midfield a leg up- but the fact is we do.

As soon as we improve our midfield in 2021 and beyond, sure roma solo is the way to go.
But for now, we need roma to take a back seat and be a solid contributor so the team can win games of football.

In an ideal world, we take the BEST of what RoMa has, add a good smattering of what Ryder brings, and in 3 years FrankenRuck takes over the centre circle for 10 years.

Marshall looks to be a really bright guy, so I'm sure he knows that having multiple strings to his bow will pay off bigtime in a couple of years ... the players you fear the most are those who can kill you in multiple ways, and who you won't necessarily see coming.

Ben Paton and Jake Kelly had the most intercepts in the game : 8
Coffield and Howard had 7, matching the Crows, Doedee
Carlisle had 6
You can see the confidence in Coffield to go for those marks growing every week.
I still (probably unfairly) dont trust what he's going to do with the ball but the talent he has in clear.

I didnt realise Paton intercepted to much last night. He just quietly goes about this business and gives no reasons for the coaches to drop him.

Ryder only going between ruck and bench is absolutely the right way to use him. Played 65% game time and most of that would've been in the ruck. He's not a forward and we have better options up forward. Specific roles to maximise player strengths. Was glad we used him like that.

Especially with shorter quarters we really can afford to have the mids have less bench time. Even with a man down like we had with battle.

One of the good things to come from the richo era is that a LOT of our list have truly elite endurance and can clock up 80%+ time on ground everyweek without running out of gas.

Some of the more obscure stats. Including why you SHOULD trust Coffield.

Whilst Doedee (13) had the most effective kicks in the game, Coffield was second with 11.
Howard had 10.
Paton and Steele had 9.
Kent and Clark had 7.

Butler was the Clanger king, 9.

Howard had 9 one percenters, more than any other player on the ground. He also had the most rebounds from 50, 5 of them. ( Coffield 4 ) and the most spoils 9.

Steele had 20 effective disposals, not bad considering he's in a pressure spot. ( He carried the whole midfield IMO ) Coffield had 15.

Jones and Coffield got 7 possessions from turnovers each. Whilst Clark lived up to his first name getting 6.

Jake won the most defence one on ones in the game.

Butler the most pressure acts in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back