The new AFL admin - how bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Handling cash isn’t free either. For small businesses, there is the staff wages for the extra time in handling cash (banking it, counting/reconciling each till, getting shrapnel to refresh the float, theft/loss, slower sales transactions), and for large businesses, some of the above plus Armaguard/Prosegur security services.

The 1% merchant charges don't help, but even if that was significantly more than the cost of cash handling, it doesn't sum up to the 7% or so inflation rate.

I didn't say it summed up to the inflation rate, pls don't simplify my post like that.

I didn't say it summed up to the inflation rate, pls don't simplify my post like that.
Sorry, I should quote you properly.

"I suspect there is a correlation between the steep increase in cashless payments and the steep increase in inflation around the world, but that is conjecture."

Correlation... maybe, but given that the increase in cashless payments probably times itself with the pandemic, it would be a long longggg bow to make the next link and say it's a significant cause to inflation.

Sorry, I should quote you properly.

"I suspect there is a correlation between the steep increase in cashless payments and the steep increase in inflation around the world, but that is conjecture."

Correlation... maybe, but given that the increase in cashless payments probably times itself with the pandemic, it would be a long longggg bow to make the next link and say it's a significant cause to inflation.

Thanks mate. As I said it was conjecture but I do suspect it is a contributing factor (not anything like 3% or whatever). There's a lot of money subject to that fee - much more than pre-pandemic.

Thanks mate. As I said it was conjecture but I do suspect it is a contributing factor (not anything like 3% or whatever). There's a lot of money subject by that fee - much more than pre-pandemic.
Potentially. The one thing that makes me suspect that it's not a big factor is the way that a number of organisations have switched toward cashless. They generally wouldn't be doing this unless there was money in it for them. I'm pretty sure that Kardinia Park etc aren't in any way inclined to pay more money to the CBA.

Am I the only one that has been singularly unimpressed with Laura Kane every time I've heard her speak? When the position was vacant, I kept hearing how she was a front-runner for the role because she was such an impressive operator. But every time I've seen her interviewed, her answers sound like the typical HR-driven gobbledygook I hear in my day job. Her background seems to be decidedly middling to have landed her such a critical role in the largest sports competition in the country.

It's cheaper. Buying by card incurs a fee (either paid directly by you or by the merchant to the bank). It makes prices rise.
If there's a charge to set up a debit card it's like $10 at the start, and then nothing for the next million uses.
I suspect there is a correlation between the steep increase in cashless payments and the steep increase in inflation around the world, but that is conjecture.
Businesses set prices based on what the customer is willing to pay.

Am I the only one that has been singularly unimpressed with Laura Kane every time I've heard her speak? When the position was vacant, I kept hearing how she was a front-runner for the role because she was such an impressive operator. But every time I've seen her interviewed, her answers sound like the typical HR-driven gobbledygook I hear in my day job. Her background seems to be decidedly middling to have landed her such a critical role in the largest sports competition in the country.

Were you impressed with Brad Scott and whoever TF was in that role before them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back