The new AFL admin - how bad?

That I disagree with. If you're a private business, you have every right to refuse payment in any form so long as you are upfront about it. Particularly in places like small pop-up shops, I get why cashless stores are becoming increasingly popular.

Cash can be a pain in the arse for businesses, particularly if most of their transactions are done by card.
I'm not leaving a digital trace (footprint) of what i spend to anyone. if businesses wish to be a part of this madness it will be challenged. Cash is still the most trusted and reliable way for people to purchase things and keep control of their own budgets, going cashless will create complexities that will leave the average Australian far worse off way economically.

I'm not leaving a digital trace (footprint) of what i spend to anyone. if businesses wish to be a part of this madness it will be challenged.
I don't think anyone really gives a damn if I buy a pie at the footy, a beer at the local or a t-shirt on the high street.

If a business doesn't take cash and you don't want to pay by card, don't buy. That said, that might be increasingly more difficult in a decade or so.

Potentially, as part of a large dataset, my spending data might be useful (i.e. that people who earn X amount per year and live in suburb Y are likely to spend this much on a restaurant meal, that much on petrol), but that doesn't really bother me.

I'm not leaving a digital trace (footprint) of what i spend to anyone. if businesses wish to be a part of this madness it will be challenged. Cash is still the most trusted and reliable way for people to purchase things and keep control of their own budgets, going cashless will create complexities that will leave the average Australian far worse off way economically.
Ah gotcha. You're a big brother is watching nutter.

1. The "let's review every score" system sucks.
2. North have been fixtured to play at 10 different grounds this year and only one at the MCG
3. Geelong have a 6 day break ahead of Brisbane, who have a 9 day break. And Geelong's VFL team are fixtured away at the same time as the seniors.

What sort of administration makes these decisions??? Are we seriously just finding out that the new guys aren't as competent as the old guys?
More broadly... this is all little stuff, to be honest.

The bigger decisions that the AFL makes are around things like the TV rights deal, any Laws of the Game changes, expansion clubs, academies, grassroots funding etc. They're not going to be signing off on a six-day break at the Board level.

Cats fan complains about having 3 fewer days to prepare than their opponent.

As though this isn’t a common occurrence for every team that isn’t Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or Richmond.

Give us a spell

Steve Hocking and Brad Scott are no longer working for the AFL. Get used to it.
Richmond is literally having a 3 day less break next game.

Just watching today's game, and reflected on / learned:
2. North have been fixtured to play at 10 different grounds this year and only one at the MCG
3. Geelong have a 6 day break ahead of Brisbane, who have a 9 day break. And Geelong's VFL team are fixtured away at the same time as the seniors.

What sort of administration makes these decisions??? Are we seriously just finding out that the new guys aren't as competent as the old guys?

When presented with an idea that if the ball goes between the goal posts, its a goal irrespective of if it grazed the post, or the padding. Dwayne Russell rejected it because its a part of the games history. (point - post)

A bit of extra time might be worth it for fairer results.

The amount of days in between breaks is a swings and roundabouts scenario. It’s like the interstate teams complaining traveling and not taking into account their opponents for half the season have traveled to play them.

Really .. (re North's 10 venues & 1 MCG / and a team hosting a 9-day v 6-day break match)?
Pretty regular, and at least one year North had zero MCG games.
Way back when North played finals, hosting at the MCG with less ground experience than in Perth was not unheard of. There might home state, but certainly not home ground, advantage in those cases.
Play twice in Sydney and Qld, plus almost always Kardinia Park, often Launceston, and of course always Docklands and Hobart - there's eight on its own some seasons without the MCG. That's before Gather Round and a secondary venue in SA. This year, Darwin instead of Carrara.
That's fine, although all teams should get a minimum number of MCG games.

Nine versus six day breaks are going to be more common as more Thursday night games are played. Thursday really screws over fixturing to make breaks manageable. Basically, the Thursday teams have to play the following Thursday and Friday to avoid more than one day's difference.
As are one versus two week breaks if the Opening Half Round concept continues. The AFL can't even manage to organise so this doesn't happen with ordinary bye weeks, much les spreading just 2-4 teams a week into additional byes.

The worst piece of fixturing so far this year was caused by the debacle that was Opening Round

Round 4 - North Melbourne vs Carlton
2023 17th, 3-win North Melbourne plays Good Friday on a 6-day break against preliminary finalists Carlton off a 15-day break, having had their bye for playing opening round.

Of course in round two, four sides playing their second game of the year against teams dusting off the cobwebs in their first game was awful too.

Just watching today's game, and reflected on / learned:

We have the greatest game in the world being run by amateurs/imposters. Been saying it for years.

The AFL have been floundering since Gil packed up his office. Gone is the corporate speak (gobbledygook) of Gil and it's been replaced with some not so well thought out new rules and policies. Score reviews is a shambles, the AFL drug policy is more than questionable and i am still furious over cashless Kardinia Park! It might take some time for the CEO to settle in, but what has Gillon really left Dillon?
It's completely cashless? Well that's the last time I go there. The full scale BEAST system is coming along even quicker than I thought.

The 3 things they need to address is
1. Vic dominance in GF wins
2. The draft is too heavily compromised. First round has 6 to 8 picks not available again. It was worse last year.
3. It takes too long to rebuild. Free agency has made this worse.

If you have a phone, you're leaving a digital trace of pretty much everything you do and have ever done.

It's cheaper. Buying by card incurs a fee (either paid directly by you or by the merchant to the bank). It makes prices rise.

I suspect there is a correlation between the steep increase in cashless payments and the steep increase in inflation around the world, but that is conjecture.
Think the war in Ukraine might be a more concrete cause of inflation my man

It's cheaper. Buying by card incurs a fee (either paid directly by you or by the merchant to the bank). It makes prices rise.

I suspect there is a correlation between the steep increase in cashless payments and the steep increase in inflation around the world, but that is conjecture.
Handling cash isn’t free either. For small businesses, there is the staff wages for the extra time in handling cash (banking it, counting/reconciling each till, getting shrapnel to refresh the float, theft/loss, slower sales transactions), and for large businesses, some of the above plus Armaguard/Prosegur security services.

The 1% merchant charges don't help, but even if that was significantly more than the cost of cash handling, it doesn't sum up to the 7% or so inflation rate.

Last edited:
Back