Roast Negative only thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I would call it that. What is an offensive player's primary role? It's to score with defending a distant second. Likewise the inverse for defenders. Neither Ned or Murphy are natural goal kickers yet we continue to persist with them. Even the biggest Ned and Murph fan bois never hype up any offensive capabilities because it's blatantly obvious they have none, it's always their (alleged) defensive pressure.

Rachele with 5 goals on debut eclipses anything they have done. But of course we stripped the natural footballer out of Rachele and replaced his natural offensive game with more defending. Do you have to be great at defending if you're snagging 5 goals? That's a decent head start.
Agree with you Re their offence was poor and their defence wasn’t much better

We didn’t have Rankine and the only other one was Rowe , especially when Rachele was injured and also fatigueing

This is the negative thread , so I reckon our scoring, creativity and defensive pressure of our small forwards was as bad a weakness as any we had

Rowe was brittle in contests at crucial times and also missed opportunities in front of goal which was what he was supposed to be good at as we know he wasn’t a great pressure applier

Hence I thought Rankine was a massive list need for his class with scoring and assisting , speed and defensive pressure

If Pedlar can be adequate in the defensive area he’s going to add a whole lot of offence too which will help

Agree with you Re their offence was poor and their defence wasn’t much better

We didn’t have Rankine and the only other one was Rowe , especially when Rachele was injured and also fatigueing

This is the negative thread , so I reckon our scoring, creativity and defensive pressure of our small forwards was as bad a weakness as any we had

Rowe was brittle in contests at crucial times and also missed opportunities in front of goal which was what he was supposed to be good at as we know he wasn’t a great pressure applier

Hence I thought Rankine was a massive list need for his class with scoring and assisting , speed and defensive pressure

If Pedlar can be adequate in the defensive area he’s going to add a whole lot of offence too which will help
To be fair, Nicks had our small forwards play up the ground a lot

Mainly to hide their weaknesses and also our mids perhaps

Be nice to have some classier smalls going forward
I don’t agreed it was to hide the small forward weaknesses, it was to protect our mids, Nicks desire for a contested ball game so we threw more numbers around the ball and he also tried to limit the size of our losses rather than go for the win.

But yes, going to be good having decent small forwards, not Rowe, McHenry and Murphy hopefully.

I don’t agreed it was to hide the small forward weaknesses, it was to protect our mids, Nicks desire for a contested ball game so we threw more numbers around the ball and he also tried to limit the size of our losses rather than go for the win.

But yes, going to be good having decent small forwards, not Rowe, McHenry and Murphy hopefully.
I think it is a strength of those small forwards comparitively to them being exposed I50

Eg Murphy is good around the stoppages and plays better high up ground , Ned can use his endurance to up and back and Rowe was also clever in traffic

All of them exposed when deep forward for either class or speed or both whereas Rachele / Rankine and even Pedlar wouldnt be

So a bit of both re mids and also re the small forwards shortcomings

Yep. Same reason we played inside mids on the wing.

It's a terrible game plan. I hope it changes next year.
No faith in your mids to win the ball so you move all your forwards up the ground.
Then when we do win the ball, the mids don't have enough options to kick to and don't have the skill to take the advantage.
Then it comes back with interest.

It's a terrible game plan. I hope it changes next year.
No faith in your mids to win the ball so you move all your forwards up the ground.
Then when we do win the ball, the mids don't have enough options to kick to and don't have the skill to take the advantage.
Then it comes back with interest.
With our crop of talented forwards you want them closer to goals, it would have to change the forwards game plan

We play 4 games against North and Eagles in total, given where we are at in comparison, you would assume we should be wining all 4 of those games. We should be looking to take a few more scalps along the way.

I think it also depends on how we lose our other games and the manner in which we played them.

The team needs to be competitive and making progression throughout the season.

It will be interesting how much heat gets placed on Nicks and on the team in 2022, I see only 2 bankable wins in the first 10 games and to be honest I dont say that with a lot of confidence either.

Its definitely not beyond the realms of possibility we are 0-10 after the first 10 games.
I would be shocked if we start 0-10.

If we do, Nicks will be sacked mid season.

Watching Jackson Hately play wing after he started to show some sort of promise playing inside was probably my lowlight of the season ( among a few others )

He was set up to fail
Yep that’s very hard to get over

I’m not really in either the “Hately is an AFL player” or the “Hately won’t make it” camp, am somewhere in between, but being played in a position where he can use literally none of his strengths, while exposing his biggest weaknesses, was so dumb. I felt sorry for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

f3ab8c1c71f40e19d661471bfd032714
heck no!

I’m not really in either the “Hately is an AFL player” or the “Hately won’t make it” camp, am somewhere in between, but being played in a position where he can use literally none of his strengths, while exposing his biggest weaknesses, was so dumb. I felt sorry for him
Playing Hately & Crouch as outside wingmen was just beyond stupid selection.

And that’s why there are question makes still on Nicks, needs to cut the dumb s**t out.

With Keays coming out and saying he was injured, why wouldn’t we have sent him for surgery sooner so he’d be right now and not miss any of preseason?

At the same time we had Crouch we could have played which would have helped find a new home rather than being relegated to the SANFL where no one would touch him.

And that’s why there are question makes still on Nicks, needs to cut the dumb s**t out.

With Keays coming out and saying he was injured, why wouldn’t we have sent him for surgery sooner so he’d be right now and not miss any of preseason?

At the same time we had Crouch we could have played which would have helped find a new home rather than being relegated to the SANFL where no one would touch him.
Yeah I’m not 100% in on Nicks yet, needs to show more strings to his bow this year, and that includes not trying to fit square pegs into round holes, in regards to player positions

Consistent evolution as a coach is important, particularly as a relative newcomer trying to bring a side up the ladder

The Keays stuff - I’d be interested to see how much of that ‘playing through injury’ stuff is attributed to various people at the club (although we’ll probably never know). Is it Burgess? Nicks? Keays himself?

I would be shocked if we start 0-10.

If we do, Nicks will be sacked mid season.
If 0-10 gets him sacked, is say 2-8 then safe?

Hawks and Saints are the most confident games I feel we can win in the first 10 rounds. Both these teams beat us fairly well in 2022.

Mind you GWS in R1 is there as first up win, tricky away game with Kingsley coaching his first game. Again here GWS beat us convincingly in the past two games we have played them.

Yeah I’m not 100% in on Nicks yet, needs to show more strings to his bow this year, and that includes not trying to fit square pegs into round holes, in regards to player positions

Consistent evolution as a coach is important, particularly as a relative newcomer trying to bring a side up the ladder

The Keays stuff - I’d be interested to see how much of that ‘playing through injury’ stuff is attributed to various people at the club (although we’ll probably never know). Is it Burgess? Nicks? Keays himself?
I think this is the year we will find out about Nicks

If 0-10 gets him sacked, is say 2-8 then safe?

Hawks and Saints are the most confident games I feel we can win in the first 10 rounds. Both these teams beat us fairly well in 2022.

Mind you GWS in R1 is there as first up win, tricky away game with Kingsley coaching his first game. Again here GWS beat us convincingly in the past two games we have played them.
2-8 means he probably won't get sacked mid-season, rather end of season.

Playing Hately & Crouch as outside wingmen was just beyond stupid selection.
Selection was still a shambles for much of the season.

Crouch and Milera thrown into the side in R1 after missing all of 2021 and having interrupted preseasons.

Going back to the failed single KPD structure.

Dawson playing on the last line of defence.

Thilthorpe dropped after R1.

McHenry's gold pass.

Schoenberg seemingly without a role and in and out of the side.

ROB recalled after one week.

Doedee and Keays being picked each week despite being inhibited by injuries.

Hately played out of position despite some good performances in the middle.

Crouch in and out of the side, and played out of position at times.

Newchurch ignored when he was playing well at SANFL level.

Worrell ignored until the last month of the season.

Rowe and Davis selected despite being locked in as delists.

On the positive side, our use of Soligo was pretty good, and Berry started getting meaningful midfield minutes (helped by Sloane's unavailability). Gollant and Cook also got opportunities. We also finally started to move Sloane out of the middle (where he plays in 2023 remains to be seen). McAdam starting in the SANFL after an interrupted PS was also a good call - quality player but he needs to be 100% fit.

You might… but would the club?..

We all know as soon as Sloane is fit he’ll be straight back in the 22.
Especially if he’s still captain.

And Sloane has already told the world several times that he’ll be right to go for Round 1.

i told everyone he'd be right to go before round 1 before he did. Nothing was more certain.

Or play Hately in the spot he had started to look ok in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back