Roast Negative only thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I highly doubt we're going to sack Rankine or Pedlar in a defensive forward role, and you can almost be guaranteed we're going to run one (after all, it makes Rankine/Racheles job easier), so no, Ned isn't going to be initially competing with them. Much like how he isn't competing with Tex or Fogarty for a spot.

Keays is the main worry for Ned, because as the 2nd half of 2022 showed, his grip on a full-time midfield role is waning and his fallback is that defensive forward role (and that's a fight Ned doesn't have much hope of winning at the current time). Once Ned loses that defensive forward role, then he's in trouble due to Rankine/Rachele/Pedlar/McAdam etc. Really he needs to quickly find an above average offensive game.
Thought this might interest you and your take on Ben Keays...

Might need to revise your thinking.

Speaking to the media on Wednesday, Keays said he had previously been lucky when it came to injury setbacks and this pre-season was new territory for him.

“It’s been a pretty tough one for me so far, I’ve been in rehab, still on the sidelines, which has been new for me,” Keays said.

“You see all the boys running around and training really well and you just want to be out there.

“I had my AC joint done but I also had some groin stuff for two thirds of the year, which got pretty bad towards the end (of the season).

“I had gone through the years and heard players talk about how tough rehab is and I never really had to experience it but now I’m living it.

“It’s hard, but I’ll just focus on recovery and try to get back.”

“You see all the boys running around and training really well and you just want to be out there.​

Keays enjoyed a standout 2022 campaign, in which he averaged 26.6 disposals from 22 games, playing both on-ball and up forward, to finish third in the Club’s Best and Fairest count.

And despite the injuries, Keays was confident he would be ready to attack full training post-Christmas break.

“I had to rehab both top and bottom of my body, so it’s been a new challenge for me, but I’ll be patient and then get into it post-Christmas,” Keays said.

I highly doubt we're going to sack Rankine or Pedlar in a defensive forward role, and you can almost be guaranteed we're going to run one (after all, it makes Rankine/Racheles job easier), so no, Ned isn't going to be initially competing with them. Much like how he isn't competing with Tex or Fogarty for a spot.

Keays is the main worry for Ned, because as the 2nd half of 2022 showed, his grip on a full-time midfield role is waning and his fallback is that defensive forward role (and that's a fight Ned doesn't have much hope of winning at the current time). Once Ned loses that defensive forward role, then he's in trouble due to Rankine/Rachele/Pedlar/McAdam etc. Really he needs to quickly find an above average offensive game.

I was really happy with what Keays managed to do up forward last year i.e. his job on Saad. Given our selection committee has some strange raging hardon for defensive pressure up forward then he would be a great fit whether that's a combined role with the midfield or even a permanent spot up forward. He is an exponential upgrade on the toothless Jack Russel brigade Ned or Murphy.

*edit this is the negative thread, thus the negative here is we know Keays up forward will work and there is is proof of concept, but of course we won't do it. We'll keep banging our heads against the wall with Ned and Murphy.

Last edited:
From an outsider looking in perspective. You guys are on the right path. I couldn’t list 5 major errors over the past 5 years if I tried. Admit they the crows are my third team behind the lions and GWS. But I find it hard to name 5 screw ups to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From an outsider looking in perspective. You guys are on the right path. I couldn’t list 5 major errors over the past 5 years if I tried. Admit they the crows are my third team behind the lions and GWS. But I find it hard to name 5 screw ups to be honest.

How long have you been a member Stevie Wonder😜

Since when is 5 screw ups the benchmark though?

The Camp and the fall out was in that period.

We’ve blown 3 first rd picks in that period.

The Gibbs deal was in that period.

Stengle.

Banking on pick 2 for Crouch after pushing him out the door.

Resigning Matt Crouch on a 2 year deal.

There’s 6 for you anyway.

This has to be a troll. We won a wooden spoon only 3 years ago

Not at all, you Crows are heading in right direction.

You are on the wrong thread... you should be on our positive only thread. ;)

I was really happy with what Keays managed to do up forward last year i.e. his job on Saad. Given our selection committee has some strange raging hardon for defensive pressure up forward then he would be a great fit whether that's a combined role with the midfield or even a permanent spot up forward. He is an exponential upgrade on the toothless Jack Russel brigade Ned or Murphy.

*edit this is the negative thread, thus the negative here is we know Keays up forward will work and there is is proof of concept, but of course we won't do it. We'll keep banging our heads against the wall with Ned and Murphy.
Last year??.. He did it in one fxxkn game in round 20 and then couldn’t repeat it In the next 3 games..

my god the overrating of Keays by some around here is just ridiculous.

he simply cannot be played in the centre anymore and with

Sloane, Rankine, Rachele, mcadam, pedlar, cook, Ned and a couple of others like nankervis and Taylor

that are far more talented players that can play that half forward/small forward/medium forward role.. I really find it hard to see who out of those Ben Keays should be played in front of.

this is the conundrum.. the Ben Keays fan club can’t say which of our young talented players they’d like to see miss out so Ben can stay in..

there‘s only 2 or 3 of these small forward/half forward positions available.. who’s missing out?.. definitely not Rankine or Rachele.. Sloane you’d think will be a lock for Round 1 if he’s ready and if that’s the case he’ll be eyeing off that half forward spot too. There’s 3 already. Pedlar and/or cook if they have a great preseason need to be prioritised or it’s nigh night nurse for those two.

who moves aside just so we can keep Ben “the hack“ keays in the side?…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year??.. He did it in one fxxkn game in round 20 and then couldn’t repeat it In the next 3 games..

Sloane, Rankine, Rachele, mcadam, pedlar, cook, Ned and a couple of others like nankervis and Taylor

that are far more talented players that can play that half forward/small forward/medium forward role.. I really find it hard to see who out of those Ben Keays should be played in front of.

this is the conundrum.. the Ben Keays fan club can’t say which of our young talented players they’d like to see miss out so Ben can stay in..

there‘s only 2 or 3 of these small forward/half forward positions available.. who’s missing out?.. definitely not Rankine or Rachele.. Sloane you’d think will be a lock for Round 1 if he’s ready and if that’s the case he’ll be eyeing off that half forward spot too. There’s 3 already. Pedlar and/or cook if they have a great preseason need to be prioritised or it’s nigh night nurse for those two.

One good game? Well that's one more than Ned and Murphy combined.

I've said it before and I will say it again, how you have so much hate for Keays and none for Ned and Murphy is absolutely baffling.

One good game? Well that's one more than Ned and Murphy combined.

I've said it before and I will say it again, how you have so much hate for Keays and none for Ned and Murphy is absolutely baffling.
go ahead then.. Name the players you’d like to see miss out so Ben can stay in..

the “you just hate Ben keays” fall back response from his fan club is just boring.

and yes. He had one good game at half forward.

go ahead then.. Name the players you’d like to see miss out so Ben can stay in..

the “you just hate Ben keays” fall back response from his fan club is just boring.

and yes. He had one good game at half forward.

I just told you, Ned and Murphy have to go.

It's them, 50 feet of shit, then Keays.

I just told you, Ned and Murphy have to go.

It's them, 50 feet of s**t, then Keays.
True.. but now are you playing Keays in that half forward/small forward/medium forward role in front of Rachele, Rankine, Sloane, macadam, Pedlar, Cook?.

maybe cook unless he finally breaks out.

Pedlar will be in his third year as a pick 12… he has immense potential but if he can’t start showing something at the AFL level this year we’re gonna be leaning towards bust.. and he needs to be given opportunities to show his wares at AFL level.. but he cant if Ben is clogging up that half forward spot can he..

the other problem is that it’s very clear that Nicky’s and the coaching staff very highly rate Ned.. for some unknown flipping reason.

True.. but now are you playing Keays in that half forward/small forward/medium forward role in front of Rachele, Rankine, Sloane, macadam, Pedlar, Cook?.

Pedlar will be in his third year as a pick 12… he has immense potential but if he can’t start showing something at the AFL level this year we’re gonna be leaning towards bust.. and he needs to be given opportunities to show his wares at AFL level.. but he cant if Ben is clogging up that half forward spot can he..

the other problem is that it’s very clear that Nicky’s and the coaching staff very highly rate Ned.. for some unknown *ing reason.

Fingers crossed Pedlar can get fit and now with Rankine in that will force Ned and Murphy out.

My gripe with the latter two has always been they lack enough offensive game to be up forward and also are not potent enough defensively.

I would rather them not be there at all. But the if the must have someone up there for defensive pressure least Keays is is over 5ft4 and can stick a tackle.

More importantly, why the **** is Keays playing out a season with a bad groin and a shoulder in a year we’re finishing bottom 5. Surely that year is done and you schedule surgery so that preparation for the next year is unimpeded.

the other problem is that it’s very clear that Nicky’s and the coaching staff very highly rate Ned.. for some unknown *ing reason.

I’d play him ahead of Sloane without hesitation. None of our other forwards though and definitely not in the midfield or behind the ball.

More importantly, why the * is Keays playing out a season with a bad groin and a shoulder in a year we’re finishing bottom 5. Surely that year is done and you schedule surgery so that preparation for the next year is unimpeded.
It's Burgess and his mantra "learning to play under adversity" ......what happens if we were approaching a Finals Prelim, do we put players in for surgery ?

If not, as the Finals need your best players, even at 80% ...... how do they learn to play under adversity, so when it comes a time to play with injury, they have history & learnings

Most players are banged up by the last 6 weeks of a season anyway

It's Burgess and his mantra "learning to play under adversity" ......what happens if we were approaching a Finals Prelim, do we put players in for surgery ?

If not, as the Finals need your best players, even at 80% ...... how do they learn to play under adversity, so when it comes a time to play with injury, they have history & learnings

Most players are banged up by the last 6 weeks of a season anyway

We didn’t need burgess for that, our senior players have always ambled around injured and given us sub-standard output. And that wasn’t his mantra. His mantra was that players continue to train at high intensity in order to build resilience. Rather to than cottonwooling them until game day where they can finish the season like Keays (apart from 1 game) and doedee did.

Plus we’re meant to be rebuilding not beginning our tilt at the continuity premiership.

Last edited:
I need a new guernsey, but I'm waiting for a new Crows Emblem.

I'm not buying till it changes

It's interesting that Crowmania is currently selling merchandise featuring 3 different logos - the shield crow from 1991, the 'swooping Crow' from 2000s, and the current Baltimore Raven.

I know all clubs see a gap in the market to sell retro merch, but I find it unusual that we would do this for long periods of time.

To me it suggests they know the Raven is unpopular to many, but they can't bring themselves to turn it off officially, so let's have a bet each way.

A new logo will never be the number one priority to fix, but a professional organisation should be much better with tidying this stuff up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back