Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt you have been watching fully. Dusty was BOG or near to it at HT v Blues and Port before fading due to his leg issue. After a freshen up to get that right, he returns and is in the coaches votes. He is playing quality football.
Now we're measuring (near) BOG for a half?

In 2024 Dusty is averaging:

• a career low 2.3 clangers per match
  • a career high 8.9 disposals per clanger
  • near career low 3.7 turnovers per match, and
  • relatively high 5.6 disposals per turnover.
Never mind, you're measuring everything except the stats that matter.

So basically he's a baby who refuses to play midfield and only play an uncontested role where he is never under any pressure and it's impossible make mistakes

So basically he's a baby who refuses to play midfield and only play an uncontested role where he is never under any pressure and it's impossible make mistakes

So long as Dusty is a baby who refuses to be part of the 135 players who were not BOG in each of his 3 Grand Finals, or the 100 odd Brownlow winners who did not poll record votes, or the 1300 odd players who have never polled record coaches votes, or the 14,000 players who have played in the competition but were not the GOAT, then I don't suppose we are ever going to mind what you think of him. :)

This doesn't seem to be borne out in his statistical record.

His goals, goal assist, score involvements and score involvement % all seem to be around career averages give or take a little in either direction. The only numbers that look a little abnormal for him are his contested possessions, where he is running at 7 per match, normally this would be around 10, and this possibly helps to explain his better clanger and turnover numbers.

I have seen a lot of Dusty play as you would expect. Apart from his two second half fadeouts v Carlton and Port he has looked very close to his brilliant best. He doesn't get every play perfect but nobody does or ever has.
This is a situation where the stats don't tell the full story. Even with all of Richmond's absences, Martin has been named in Richmond's best players in just one game this season.

To Martin's credit he still manages to have scoreboard impact with his few good moments a match, but he offers nothing defensively and has now had 3 games of 16 disposals or less from his 4 played. Which would be fine if his disposal efficiency has been strong, but it hasn't.

3 clearances for Martin so far in 2024 when Richmond's midfield could desperately do with some help. This isn't the same as a 35 year old Ablett permanently moving to the forward line when the midfield was well stocked.

This is a situation where the stats don't tell the full story. Even with all of Richmond's absences, Martin has been named in Richmond's best players in just one game this season.

To Martin's credit he still manages to have scoreboard impact with his few good moments a match, but he offers nothing defensively and has now had 3 games of 16 disposals or less from his 4 played. Which would be fine if his disposal efficiency has been strong, but it hasn't.

3 clearances for Martin so far in 2024 when Richmond's midfield could desperately do with some help. This isn't the same as a 35 year old Ablett permanently moving to the forward line when the midfield was well stocked.

Lol, you are obsessed. I suppose you didn't hear what Yze had to say about it post match...

Lol, you are obsessed. I suppose you didn't hear what Yze had to say about it post match...
I don't watch press conferences, maybe you can enlighten me.

I'm guessing it'll be something similar to the usual excuses we get if Martin fails to fire: unfit, injured, sick, depressed. He's less banged up than Dangerfield so those excuses just don't fly.

I don't watch press conferences, maybe you can enlighten me.

I'm guessing it'll be something similar to the usual excuses we get if Martin fails to fire: unfit, injured, sick, depressed. He's less banged up than Dangerfield so those excuses just don't fly.

Do your own research before shooting your gob off. And how the hell would you have any clue as to the precise physical condition of either player?

Do your own research before shooting your gob off. And how the hell would you have any clue as to the precise physical condition of either player?
You seem to be seriously angry today, so I'm fine to continue as is.

The onus is on you to bring the information that dismisses what I'm saying: that Martin has had another disappointing start to a season when Richmond are struggling.

Just start rolling out the excuses and I can give them a look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was perfectly fit as far as I know. So you are reading things into my post that I didn't put there.
Ablett at 33 years old had 17 games averaging 33 disposals and 7.6 clearances a game. He went at 4.36 coaches votes a game. His body was broken down by this point.

Richmond desperately need support in midfield right now. Dusty is what, too old and tired to move from his flank? Bored?

In reality this is similar to his tepid start to 2023, that really only got going in the back half of the year once Richmond's season was dead and buried. Is Martin "timing his run" in a similar way for 2024?

Ablett at 33 years old had 17 games averaging 33 disposals and 7.6 clearances a game. He went at 4.36 coaches votes a game. His body was broken down by this point.

Richmond desperately need support in midfield right now. Dusty is what, too old and tired to move from his flank? Bored?

In reality this is similar to his tepid start to 2023, that really only got going in the back half of the year once Richmond's season was dead and buried. Is Martin "timing his run" in a similar way for 2024?

Yze explained it in his presser.

Hate to say it but The Champ could be in his last season. I hope I am wrong but if he does retire then one positive is that my 8 year old son is a chance to come back to North👌

Remove this Banner Ad

Back