Carlton are the one to watch out for - They can win The Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

They're just not good enough. Had a bad night tonight but certainly not a bad side... but this isn't a premiership side.

Probably a finals side who, if they really play out of their skin, can challenge anybody.

But across a whole season and finals series... they're just not an elite side.
Will it be like their previous build back in 2011 where they top out at SF / PF finals before falling away again?

You're adding hyperbole to each of my statements for dramatic effect. It's lazy and hasn't gone unnoticed.

I said injuries cannot be used as a complete cop out for performance of the rest of the team. Every single post. With literally nothing else brought to the table. You seem to think that the singular factor stopping Carlton romping in the premiership this season is a rotating cast of missing players.

I have basically never seen a post of yours that doesn't reference injuries. It is actually crazy. You are just going round screeching "missing players" at everyone. It is tiresome.

The list above means little without context, as it is the combination of quality and position of player injuries that determine the effect on the squad. All season the A grade Carlton spine has essentially been maintained (Gov missed a handful...he isn't that great) and the deep, top line midfield has had one player missing on average (sometimes it's Cerra, sometimes it's Walsh). It is manageable and Carlton are having quarters here and there that show that. The inconsistency within games is not down to a few flankers and one midfielder missing. It just isn't.
Seems quite hyperbolic to say that all of my posts are about injuries when that simply is not the case. Once again injuries are not an excuse for any single performance. But this thread is about whether Carlton can win a premiership is it not? So clearly looking at the broader factors is important and our inability to build any sort of cohesion now is going to hurt us later in the season when we want to be hitting top form.

Stop saying the injuries are manageable because most of our spine hasn't missed significant numbers of game (except Weitering/McGovern/Cerra ofc) - it shows a complete lack of understanding of how AFL works. If all you need is most of your spine to win games then Carlton would be going for their fourth premiership in a row. This isn't the NBA with five players on the court - you need 90% of your 22 playing at a high level. To do that you need cohesion with most of those players playing together and you need to have strong depth underneath putting pressure on those not performing in the 1s. We are unable to do that which hurts our chances of a premiership overall.

Seems quite hyperbolic to say that all of my posts are about injuries when that simply is not the case. Once again injuries are not an excuse for any single performance. But this thread is about whether Carlton can win a premiership is it not? So clearly looking at the broader factors is important and our inability to build any sort of cohesion now is going to hurt us later in the season when we want to be hitting top form.

Stop saying the injuries are manageable because our Harry/Charlie/Cripps haven't missed game - it shows a complete lack of understanding of how AFL works. If all you need is most of your spine to win games then Carlton would be going for their fourth premiership in a row. This isn't the NBA with five players on the court - you need 90% of your 22 playing at a high level. To do that you need cohesion with most of those players playing together and you need to have strong depth underneath putting pressure on those not performing in the 1s. We are unable to do that which hurts our chances of a premiership overall.
What factors besides injuries are stopping Carlton being the premiership favourites right now, in your opinion?

I'm not writing them off, but they need to be careful not to drop more than 1 of their next 4 against GC, Port, Essendon and Geelong. It's a real season defining stretch, which they are right in the middle of.

If they win all 4, (as I think they should), they should be well entrenched in the top 4., and will hopefully start getting a few back from injury moving forward.

I'm not writing them off, but they need to be careful not to drop more than 1 of their next 4 against GC, Port, Essendon and Geelong. It's a real season defining stretch, which they are right in the middle of.

If they win all 4, (as I think they should), they should be well entrenched in the top 4., and will hopefully start getting a few back from injury moving forward.
Geelong and Carlton are at a similar cross roads for season 2024 now. With fairly similar sort of runs coming up.

Close to must win home game against talent-filled expansion team next week.

Geelong get their relief game early (Richmond) when Carlton travel to play Port. However then the Cats face the road trip of death to the SCG.

They then both play Essendon and each other.

Finally Carlton get the relief game against Richmond

You'd think 3-2 is needed for either side to still have hopes of top 4. If Essendon hold of both of them you can probably pencil them in for top 4 instead.

I have said this before but Carlton's team is more suited to tough slogs in August/September than to winning routinely across the regular season. The combination of constent but vanilla contested mids, dominant tall forwards and a pressure/tackle game that builds repeat entries works well when everyone is up and the game is tight... but a lack of good downhill skiers (in the best sense - i don't think i can even name a Carlton player who has had a handball receive in the goalsquare this year) and a tight game plan makes rounds 5-15 a slog.

This is as much a problem for us as the opposite has been for teams like Port, because it seems like such a battle just to get to finals, and inevitably we will be fighting for our lives in August and with too much to do in September, a la 2023.

It also leaves us really vulnerable to luck. Couple of close losses cost us finals 2022. Form slump in 2023 meant we needed 11 wins in 12 games just to get to finals, and two more slogs just to earn an away preliminary final. A bad batch of injuries combined with a tough fixture now means we probably need to dig deep for something special/exceptional just to make finals this year.

I still think that if this team were at 'normal' strength (not full strength, but with a normal level of injuries) and had a top 4 finish we would be as good a chance as anyone to win the GF from there. But getting there... still too much work to do

Could easily see them going 0-4

what if they go 1 - 3 ?

No one will argue that the best Carlton brings is as good as anyone, they played in a preliminary final last year with a very similar squad.

I think they will chug along and make finals but as ive been reminded, its what happens in September that matters and I think they have the capabilities to do some damage.

One game, big deal. A massive overreaction. Still have a great chance to win the flag and let's not forget Sydney were beaten by Richmond on Easter Sunday. It happens.

One game, big deal. A massive overreaction. Still have a great chance to win the flag and let's not forget Sydney were beaten by Richmond on Easter Sunday. It happens.
They’ve lost 3 of their last 4, it’s not just one game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, this has been coming for a while now.

A few wins to paper over the major deficiencies of the list have made some people think we are better than we really are.

The over reliance on Curnow is borderline abuse of the poor guy
Needs shoulders like Charles Atlas to carry the whole team

Carlton need to find a way to get more team involved in scoring ( same as Freo )

But in all honesty most of them looked pretty soft out there last night , if they want to go deep in September they need to harden up collectively

Said at the start of this year I reckon 2025 is the year for us to give it a shake but I'm still hopeful we can get some players back and get back firing on all cylinders this year. Seem to be playing just above average at the moment
Yep starting to look that way. A lot needs to go right to be a genuine flag threat and not much has so far, injuries yeah but besides that we look a pretty different team than we did late last year, especially defensively. 52 to 24 tackles or whatever it was at halftime last night, and losing both the final tackle and disposal counts by 20 odd says it all, usually a pretty good indicator that you haven’t turned up for a game. I think the hunger and effort can rightly start to be questioned.

Now Weitering looking like he might miss a few which will completely sink us, the 1 bloke on the list we just can’t cover in any capacity. I think we probably still make the bottom half of the 8 but barring a surge along similar lines as last year I wouldn’t be expecting much in September.

We ‘should’ beat Port away, Essendon and Geelong? Potentially without Weitering for the Port game?

Where you getting that from? Can’t be on exposed form.

Will it be like their previous build back in 2011 where they top out at SF / PF finals before falling away again?
Probably.

A bit like 2011, they've likely got a 2-3 year window after this season to win a flag with this group.

With the state of the competition right now, I actually believe they can do it, but it won't be this year.

The only club you could bet a large sum of money on with any confidence that they'll be around the mark for the next 3 years is the Swans. I don't think we've seen it look like this in a long time.

So in that respect, it's not an indictment on the Blues, it's the reality of the competition we've got right now.

One at the top looking likely to stay for a while, 3-4 genuinely awful sides at the bottom, and everybody else in varying degrees of flux praying it all clicks year on year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back