Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 104 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 293 73.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m mean you could always tank for 10 years, get some high end draft picks and win a flag. Thats the way it’s done right?
It's interesting that the clubs who have basically remained competitive and are often contending for a flags this century have had some of the more favourable prodigy roll through the door.

Maybe that is equalisation at its best after the likes of Melbourne and Carlton spent a decade rewarded for being shite. In the process scooping up stacks of top draft picks year-on-year until it is basically impossible NOT to play finals and in Melbourne's case, win a flag.

His kicking was pretty poor yesterday, apart from his last kick with 2 mins to go that put DeGoey to clear advantage and drew him onto an easy mark to kick the winning goal.

I thought he was best on at the ground, but there were a lot of high possession mids playing well, including Rankine, Crouch and Dawson. Was a really good game.

The rating of his game would also be heavily skewed by the fact he gave away 4 free kicks I'm a game where there were 19 free kicks played on total. So he gave away more than 20 percent of all free kicks paid on the day...

He now has 8 free kicks for the year and 17 against for the year. That doesn't scream the umps love him. For comparison Cripps had 48 for and 35 against the year he won and Neale had 40 for and 20 against last year, and 21 and 12 in 2020. Wines had 32 and 19 in 21, Fyfe 49 and 36...I mean you could go on. Point being they don't like Naicos much, probably coz he has played for free kicks and duped them in the past, and then they have been reamed on social media about it. It's not like Neale hasn't played for the odd free kick, is it?

Do you win those flags in the 50s and 60s without Barassi? You could argue you don't win in 2021 without Viney, stop whinging and acting like you're hard done by. North, St Kilda and Sydney haven't really had any notable father sons
The league literally invented the F/S to stop Barrassi going to Collingwood.

I think it's a good rule, for a boy to play for his dad's club is beautiful.

Needs work of course. Maybe rhe academies can be a 20 year stop gap for new teams?

Nick Daicos's numbers were off the charts. Nothing "ordinary" or "average" about that
Even by his own prolific high standards, this was a HUGE game on the stats sheet

However, what really made his game "ordinary" and "average" was his poor kicking

21 kicks, but only 6 of them were effective.... 28.6% kicking efficiency. :eek:
Most of his good work was undone and counter-productive.

Below is the Top 20 players on Champion Data's player ratings for yesterday's game. Daicos is way down the list. I doubt anyone has ever racked up 40+ disposals and rated in the low 10's. Maybe Patrick Cripps has done it a few times before. He is the king of racking up 35 touches, making the commentators jizz in their pants over the way he gets the ball and busts through tackles, but wasting over 50% of his possessions.

Rating.....................(disp)
23.7 Izak Rankine (30)
22.4 Scott Pendlebury (30)
19.8 Jordan Dawson (29)
17.2 Mitchell Hinge (26)
16.9 Matt Crouch (34)
16.4 Jack Crisp (25)
15.6 Lachlan Murphy (14)
15.1 Mark Keane (20)
13.8 Reilly O'Brien (14)
13.1 Darcy Cameron (16)
12.8 Josh Rachele (13)
12.1 Jake Soligo (24)
12.0 John Noble (29)
11.7 Joe Richards (12)
11.6 Rory Laird (22)
11.3 Jordan De Goey (26)
10.9 Finlay Macrae (12)
10.9 Will Hamill (14)
10.6 Brayden Maynard (21)
10.2 Nick Daicos (41)

It will interesting to see on Brownlow night, whether the umps were swayed by the gaudy stats and gave him 3 votes, or if they took into account his poor ball usage.
Noticed that as well. Huge numbers and really low player rating suggesting he had little impact, or impacted the game but butchered the ball / didn't make use of his opportunities (I only watched the final Q).

Interestingly, Sam Walsh who had a mare of a game scored higher than Daicos, with a similar rating to Heeney who was arguably 2nd best on with 3 goals playing from the mids.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The league literally invented the F/S to stop Barrassi going to Collingwood.

I think it's a good rule, for a boy to play for his dad's club is beautiful.

Needs work of course. Maybe rhe academies can be a 20 year stop gap for new teams?
The only thing I'd do is get rid of the point discount

Nick Daicos's numbers were off the charts. Nothing "ordinary" or "average" about that
Even by his own prolific high standards, this was a HUGE game on the stats sheet

However, what really made his game "ordinary" and "average" was his poor kicking

21 kicks, but only 6 of them were effective.... 28.6% kicking efficiency. :eek:
Most of his good work was undone and counter-productive.

Below is the Top 20 players on Champion Data's player ratings for yesterday's game. Daicos is way down the list. I doubt anyone has ever racked up 40+ disposals and rated in the low 10's. Maybe Patrick Cripps has done it a few times before. He is the king of racking up 35 touches, making the commentators jizz in their pants over the way he gets the ball and busts through tackles, but wasting over 50% of his possessions.

Rating.....................(disp)
23.7 Izak Rankine (30)
22.4 Scott Pendlebury (30)
19.8 Jordan Dawson (29)
17.2 Mitchell Hinge (26)
16.9 Matt Crouch (34)
16.4 Jack Crisp (25)
15.6 Lachlan Murphy (14)
15.1 Mark Keane (20)
13.8 Reilly O'Brien (14)
13.1 Darcy Cameron (16)
12.8 Josh Rachele (13)
12.1 Jake Soligo (24)
12.0 John Noble (29)
11.7 Joe Richards (12)
11.6 Rory Laird (22)
11.3 Jordan De Goey (26)
10.9 Finlay Macrae (12)
10.9 Will Hamill (14)
10.6 Brayden Maynard (21)
10.2 Nick Daicos (41)

It will interesting to see on Brownlow night, whether the umps were swayed by the gaudy stats and gave him 3 votes, or if they took into account his poor ball usage.
All this shows is what an absolute joke Player Rankings are.

The better Daicos is, the more it puts an asterisk on their flag imo. literally built a team on being kissed on the father son and the nga old rules. I'll never value their success the same as other teams. arguably their 4 best players are gifts.

Give the dees Nick Daicos to play alongside Oliver and Petracca, Darcy Moore to play alongside May and Lever with Quaynor crumbing and the other Daicos roaming then the dees probably do a 5-peat tbh.

That's what makes Richmond's recent success so good, 3 Premierships in 4 years and no father-son selections I think from memory???

All this shows is what an absolute joke Player Rankings are.

They are only a joke because the rankings system doesn't suit your narrative, once again showing you are far too biased towards the team you support. If Daicos wasn't wearing a Collingwood jumper, you'd no doubt be mentioning his Disposal Use/Efficiency, which I remind you again, it was 59%

Being biased towards a team one supports is admirable but sometimes it goes too far.

They are only a joke because the rankings system doesn't suit your narrative, once again showing you are far too biased towards the team you support. If Daicos wasn't wearing a Collingwood jumper, you'd no doubt be mentioning his Disposal Use/Efficiency, which I remind you again, it was 59%

Being biased towards a team one supports is admirable but sometimes it goes too far.
OK Falcon.

It's ok. You're just easily triggered when someone has a different opinion. The likes of you, there's plenty on this forum who are like that. Not mature enough to strip away the emotion and bias.

Cheers.
Until you admit you're a Richmond supporter alias, it's pointless taking anything you say seriously though.

I don't even understand the point of pretending to support another club.

Credit where it's due. He's playing a far more physical brand than earlier in the year. It's stark really. Almost as though someone has had a strong word in his ear.

I'm not too worried by some missed kicks. They're still getting valuable metres gained and often allowing the team to reset from a stronger position.

His kicking efficiency is still in the 60+% range, which is reasonable for the position he's now playing.

In this regard Bontempelli goes under the radar. He's kicking it at 56%, but no-one says a word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until you admit you're a Richmond supporter alias, it's pointless taking anything you say seriously though.

Who I support is irrelevant.

Lunchtime not sure if you're aware but all of your posts on the Richmond board are visible in your post history.

Oh yeah I'm aware but I enjoy you making me laugh. It's good entertainment.

Well yes, but didnt they also showed Collingwood losing their first two finals last year on expected score, and narrowly predicted a Brisbane win in the GF? Champion Data is shite.

The Pies essentially broke Champion Data last year, not just in the finals, but all the way down the stretch. They had fair warning, but our 2022 top 4 finish was basically dismissed as an aberration.

They had to rewrite their algorithms to try to account for their lower ranked side winning the flag. They've branded this admission of incompetence as a new improved system.

They don't seem to have done a great job as whenever I hear Hoyne selling his "stat packages for gamblers so they can win no really it works bro just buy it" he's getting weirder and weirder in his slicing and dicing "winning the post clearance ground ball head to heads" lol wtf?

He should just say he has the ghost of John Kennedy in a bottle and sell that.

ha ha, my last post got deleted when I mentioned Joel Smiths shenanigans. Melbourne actually have more father and sons on their list then us. Not our fault ours are guns while theirs are so poor.
Joel Smith isn't a Father-Son.

It's too early to ridicule the others. Woewodin I like, Kynan Brown looks very promising and Viney has had a good career.

Back