Autopsy 2024 Rd 10 Pack up the tents, we're going home. Swans smash Blues.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 10 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All of the following would of helped tonight:

Cerra - way more dynamic a midfielder than either Kennedy or Hewett
Cottrell - really missed his running capacity and creativity around half forward
Fogarty - our loss of pressure in forward 50 since he has been out has been glaring
Martin - adds smarts and nous up forward freeing others up from being double teamed as easily
Motlop - someone who has the smarts and ability to crumb and take half chances
Docherty - leadership, on field coach, versatility, run and dash etc

On top of that our options are further limited with JSOS gone for the year, Cuningham always injured and even Sam Durdin always having something wrong with him.

Never before has a side who’s best 23 is missing close to the most games overall (we ranked 1st for most games missed before tonight) has been able to win a flag, especially in the afl salary cap/equalisation era.

Out of the sides with the worst injury lists of the top 7 we are the only one with a positive win loss record, number 8 on the list of most games missed is then Melbourne.

Then looking at the list of sides who’ve had the least games missed it reads like the top sides on the ladder almost:

Total Matches Lost to Best 22
1. Carlton 60
2. Richmond 57
3. Hawthorn 47
3. St Kilda 47
5. Brisbane Lions 45
6. Adelaide Crows 44
7. West Coast Eagles 42
8. Melbourne 40
9. Fremantle 31
10. North Melbourne 30
11. Sydney Swans 29
12. Essendon 28
13. Geelong Cats 23
13. Gold Coast Suns 23
15. Port Adelaide 21
15. Collingwood 21
17. Western Bulldogs 19
18. GWS Giants 17
Saad would help our run out of defence too.

It's absolutely shocking. Technique is bad. There's a lot of arm tackles without proper body. There's heads going down which is easy to evade or break. There's very rarely getting the arm to prevent a handball. Horrible.

On talent? Yes. Nothing else.
Dunno.

I think we have some big guns but Sydney swarm like zombies in WOrld War Z .

Well hawks had elite foot skills and quality small forwards, and we do not.
Yes but neither of those things have anything to do with watching warner run free out of centre bounce. Or just being the 2nd worst team at conceding points from stoppage in the comp. That's setup, tactics and intent. Nothing to do with foot skills or small forwards. Which sure they were amazing in those areas. I'm just saying there's a hell of a lot we should be doing differently considering the profile of the team we seem to want to play.

Said this a number of times. We need a mini rebuild. Inject some speed and agility. Refresh the coaching group. Playing a game style that will not win a flag.

I mentioned in the game day thread the game style we tried to implement early this year is the way to go and it was more transition based. Problem it relies on a handful of players always playing for us to be able to do it.

So yes the list needs to be mini rebuilt/recalibrated, with guys with more run and pace and less injury prone.

All of the following would of helped tonight:

Cerra - way more dynamic a midfielder than either Kennedy or Hewett
Cottrell - really missed his running capacity and creativity around half forward
Fogarty - our loss of pressure in forward 50 since he has been out has been glaring
Martin - adds smarts and nous up forward freeing others up from being double teamed as easily
Motlop - someone who has the smarts and ability to crumb and take half chances
Docherty - leadership, on field coach, versatility, run and dash etc

On top of that our options are further limited with JSOS gone for the year, Cuningham always injured and even Sam Durdin always having something wrong with him.

Never before has a side who’s best 23 is missing close to the most games overall (we ranked 1st for most games missed before tonight) has been able to win a flag, especially in the afl salary cap/equalisation era.

Out of the sides with the worst injury lists of the top 7 we are the only one with a positive win loss record, number 8 on the list of most games missed is then Melbourne.

Then looking at the list of sides who’ve had the least games missed it reads like the top sides on the ladder almost:

Total Matches Lost to Best 22
1. Carlton 60
2. Richmond 57
3. Hawthorn 47
3. St Kilda 47
5. Brisbane Lions 45
6. Adelaide Crows 44
7. West Coast Eagles 42
8. Melbourne 40
9. Fremantle 31
10. North Melbourne 30
11. Sydney Swans 29
12. Essendon 28
13. Geelong Cats 23
13. Gold Coast Suns 23
15. Port Adelaide 21
15. Collingwood 21
17. Western Bulldogs 19
18. GWS Giants 17

It’s a boring argument when most of it is our own poor list management and fitness/conditioning causing it.

Our best 22 doesn’t have the ability to compete with the Swans for speed and skills, we now know it is impossible to bulldoze sides for 25 games without completely breaking down at some point, not to mention the in game lapses.

We need to address the above (foot skills, pace, durability) before we go further. That won’t be done through the mid season draft or the rehab group.

People laughed when I said Durds 2 year deal was surprising and that he should be closer to delisting then a 2 year deal. Looking pretty on point. He is terrible. Him and Fanta neck and neck competing for the afls worst small forward.

Would like to see E Hollands tried onball. Has no issues find it and his hands in tight are actually pretty ridiculous. Think he would offer something.

Marchbank was awful but not sure we are doing him any favours rushing him in every time he comes back from injury.

Weiters expression didn't look great but it was probably just because he was watching the same game as us.

In an ideal world I agree re E hollands, I think it’s something that our injury run prevents from happening.

He is capable across half forward, we can’t exactly play Hewett or Kennedy in that role, so we are kinda stuck at the moment. Then we had no cotttell tonight either buzzing around half forward.

You're a better fan than others because you are upset with the team and clubs performance and come on a fan forum to make derogatory comments about club members who give their blood, sweat and tears to achieve something together?

OK???

We all want the club to win but carrying on like you deserve victory and constant validation for your "commitment" to the club seems pretty churlish.

What?

I said the fans deserve praise. That's the club members yes?

They are the ones who hand over their hard earned money year after year for this dross.

Anyone who collects a wage from the club absolutely deserves to be called out.

We brought in a couple players this year hoping they would make a difference - Elijah looks okay, Fantasia not so much.

But losing Saad, Cerra, Docherty coupled with our midfield getting soundly beaten, we were always going to struggle to get any ascendancy or control between the arcs.

Hopefully getting Saad, Fogarty, Cerra and even Motlop in the coming weeks will help settle the side and improve our teamwork.
Elijah has been brilliant - don’t undersell!

Lots of players out hurting.

I'm going to get howled down for this but if we don't start using Boyd as an attacking player then we may as well trade him because he's not a defender's a...
He can't hold tackles in the one on one side of things, ie in an open space one vs one contest. His chase down tackles are great but he also gets beaten too easily in the marking contest.

I'm certainly not suggesting that he has no place in the side, far from it but we have to move him either to the wing or half forward and get the ball in his hands more often or we are just wasting our time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

culmination of a few things really. we've been well in our losses but sydney's pace never gave us a look in. 4 goals after quarter time.
we've clearly hung onto some certain players for too long. players drafted in their place could have established their own career by now. we've traded out a couple of our pacier players, not that we would necessarily be any better if they had stayed, but to get anyone with pace back in will cost us a pretty penny at the trade table unless someone blitzes it in their debut year. we've doubled down on the slow and chunky midfield. one of hewitt or kennedy needs to make way - it's not that they are useless, but someone somewhere has to have some toe. preferably we keep kennedy.
durdin, fantasia. pay at least one of them out. durdin making early leon davis look like robert harvey. these two are either out of position, or doing nothing when the ball is on a platter.

hard to imagine de koning playing a worse game. he'll do better next time.

still time to turn the season around but after that, and the squeaky wins it's hard to have a lot of faith in the team. we'll do better no doubt - to what point remains to be seen.

A devastating defeat. I knew this game was going to be a tough one, but i did expect us to give an account of ourselves at the very least.

We've just got to pick up the pieces and get some wins on the board pretty quickly.

This was a major test for us with regards to our top four credentials, and we flunked it pretty badly. A sobering result really with hardly any positives to take from it.

Wow - I’m not really mad.

I went in expecting to get flogged and that was before Weiters went down. An equally healthy list and at the G (or any ground that’s not the SCG), I’d back us.

The fact we had to play O Hollands on E Gulden says a lot.

The things that annoy me are things like Charlie doing his dumb kicks on the in-step and not taking his set shot from 50m, then not making the distance… The bombs into F50 (but I’ve come to accept that that’s our strategy and it’s not going to change).

Tackling was poor.

I just wanted to play uncontested footy for the last 10 mins and risk losing by a lot to prevent further injury.

2-3 through this period, with the injuries we have, is pretty decent. We should be there late in September if we get a healthy list together (and we can go all the way).

If we don’t, then my Voss doubts will explode.

It’s all good to say ‘next man up’ etc, but it’s unrealistic.

Last edited:
Our 6 week tough patch has turned into 9. Out draw has been unfair in a lot of ways.

Just how it’s panned out, glass half full thought in me is we eek out 1-2 of the next 3 then get more players back after the bye and go on a tear on the run home and secure top 4.

That is the best case scenario, worst case is the injuries never end and we lose form completely and finish around 13th.

No excuses but I do reckon all of us ( players included) are suffering from ‘big game-itis’.

We jumped out the blocks but once they hit the front we were mentally shot.

We’ll be ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our midfield has been running hot & cold for some time now. Tonight after quarter time was entirely cold. Throw in the loss of Weitering, and the multiple players who are only getting a run because of injury, and we get the result that we got.

As good as our midfield looks when it's on, the lack of consistency is a killer.

Voss clearly putting it on our mids.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back