List Mgmt. What would you do as list manager this off season?

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm over the Preliminary Final loss now, time to move on to 2021. Trade/Free Agency/Draft periods starting up barely a week after the Grand Final.

I'm expecting to hear news of our delistings over the next few days, we may wait till after the B&F on Wednesday night though.

Delist >
Jacob Allison.
Matt Eagles.
Corey Lyons.
Sam Skinner.
Allen Christensen.
Stef Martin(retire).
Grant Birchall(retire).
Cedric Cox- late pick trade value?

Trade >
Alex Witherden.
Rhys Matheison.

Happy to keep Witho and Matho if they want to stay and fight for a 1st 22 spot, they may want to move on and try their luck elsewhere.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Trade/FA in >

Joe Daniher.
Nakia Cockatoo.
???

Midfield- Saturday night showed that we still need more midfield power, CEY is the correct "type" but he is not at the level we need to make a difference IMO, Jacob Hopper would be great but highly unlikely. Midfield class/pace/burst from stoppages ability would be ideal as well, I would be for having a crack at Sydney Stack, he has Shai Bolton like skills which would be extremely handy. Would not say no to the speculated Xavier O'Hallonran either.

Defence- Looks pretty well covered, a run and gun guy out of the D50 would be great but Adam Saad's don't grown on trees.

Forward- A fit Daniher will make a massive positive difference along with Cockatoo rotating through fwd/mid.

Ruck- Try for a ruck like Callum Coleman-Jones, Jordan Sweet etc who are not regulars in their current side or look around the state leagues for the best one out there.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Draft >

I'd be happy for us to be very quiet in the draft this year, ideally we trade our 2 1st rounders and move up for a potential elite talent and take Blake Coleman and that's job done.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

All in all Noble, Ambrogio, Fagan and co will be dispassionate, logical and measured with our list decisions, not much room for sentimentality in list management.

Our flag window is fully slammed open from 2021, just need a couple more pieces to the puzzle, improvement from our 21-25 year old guns and our game plan/style to become more instinctive and we can get the ultimate prize.

Hopper is probably a better target a year from now when he's off contract. I actually don't think we need to sign anyone besides Daniher and Cockatoo, they're enough. We'll improve plenty just from the youngsters having another year in the system and getting closer to their prime.

Matho can go, but I wouldn't trade Witherden unless he's adamant about leaving. I'd rather have him in the side than Birchall next season.

Mostly, I hope we have as many open draft picks as we can, because I'm salivating over some of the talent available this year, especially from Western Australia. Jack Carroll can become a gun winger, Isiah Winder has the skills and pace to one day be our own Adam Saad, and Shannon Neale looks like a great prospect to develop as our long-term ruck. Plus Coleman Jr will be a handy addition to the forward depth too.

If we have faith in the bodies of Daniher and Cockatoo then that is two good trades. Daniher will help control the air if we are forced to kick down the line. Cockatoo will provide some speed in the midfield and help with the forward fifty entries. If we can wedge out another big extractor that can kick, great, otherwise off to the draft.

Rucks are tough one. Do we need one or are we ok for next year. Not a fan of spending a first round pick on a ruck unless we are trading for a known quantity.

Delist

Christensen, Martin, Allison, Cox, Skinner, Hinge, Wooller, C Lyons, Eagles.

Trade (OUT)

Mathieson - only if he wants to leave. Maybe to the bombers

Trade (IN)

Daniher
IMO we should go after Treloar if he put up for trade, he's top 10 clearance player in the league and has pace to burst from stoppage.
More midfield depth
Ruck or via preseason draft

Resign

McCluggage 5 years
Birchall (mainly due to football department squeeze and be an extra coach)
Rayner 3 years
Bailey 3 years
Lester 1 year
Starcevich 3 years
Big O 2/3 years
Fullarton 2 years
Asses during preseason and if going well Payne

Draft

Mids plus Coleman's brother

I think we need another elite ball user out of defensive 50 or someone with pace. Fingers crossed that's Witherden.

Trade
McSctay
Matho
Hipwood

Delist
Robbo (pay out his contract)
CEY
Adams
Jacob Allison.
Matt Eagles.
Corey Lyons.
Ryan Lester
Allen Christensen.
Stef Martin(retire).
Grant Birchall(retire).

Keep
Cedric Cox (He can replace Robbo)

Bring in
Daniher
Cockatoo
Treloar

Rookie
Sam Skinner (Why not keep him as a rookie listed player? I see no downside to it)

Midfield- Saturday night showed that we still need more midfield power, CEY is the correct "type" but he is not at the level we need to make a difference IMO, Jacob Hopper would be great but highly unlikely. Midfield class/pace/burst from stoppages ability would be ideal as well, I would be for having a crack at Sydney Stack, he has Shai Bolton like skills which would be extremely handy. Would not say no to the speculated Xavier O'Hallonran either.

You don't think our existing midfield group can bulk up/develop further to have more power against bigger-bodied teams like Geelong? We beat everyone else in the midfield in 2020 bar one team.

I'm over the Preliminary Final loss now, time to move on to 2021. Trade/Free Agency/Draft periods starting up barely a week after the Grand Final.

I'm expecting to hear news of our delistings over the next few days, we may wait till after the B&F on Wednesday night though.

Delist >
Jacob Allison.
Matt Eagles.
Corey Lyons.
Sam Skinner.
Allen Christensen.
Stef Martin(retire).
Grant Birchall(retire).
Cedric Cox- late pick trade value?

Trade >
Alex Witherden.
Rhys Matheison.

Happy to keep Witho and Matho if they want to stay and fight for a 1st 22 spot, they may want to move on and try their luck elsewhere.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Trade/FA in >

Joe Daniher.
Nakia Cockatoo.
???

Defence- Looks pretty well covered, a run and gun guy out of the D50 would be great but Adam Saad's don't grown on trees.

Forward- A fit Daniher will make a massive positive difference along with Cockatoo rotating through fwd/mid.

Ruck- Try for a ruck like Callum Coleman-Jones, Jordan Sweet etc who are not regulars in their current side or look around the state leagues for the best one out there.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Draft >

I'd be happy for us to be very quiet in the draft this year, ideally we trade our 2 1st rounders and move up for a potential elite talent and take Blake Coleman and that's job done.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

All in all Noble, Ambrogio, Fagan and co will be dispassionate, logical and measured with our list decisions, not much room for sentimentality in list management.

Our flag window is fully slammed open from 2021, just need a couple more pieces to the puzzle, improvement from our 21-25 year old guns and our game plan/style to become more instinctive and we can get the ultimate prize.
YOu want to trade Witherden despite losing Birchall as well?

No don't WANT to, as I said in my post you quoted quite happy to keep him, I have a feeling he might want opportunity elsewhere.

You don't think our existing midfield group can bulk up/develop further to have more power against bigger-bodied teams like Geelong? We beat everyone else in the midfield in 2020 bar one team.
Maybe, can never have too much midfield class though, games are won and lost in the midfield whether in tight or on the outside.

As list manager, I would trade in star players for peanuts, and trade out whipping boys for first round draft picks.

Shit, someone fire Noble and get this bloke in before another club does!

Decide which of the 15 players who have enjoyed the QLD weather during hub life, and have asked their agents to make contact are worth pursuing, and fill needs. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to trade/draft another gun midfielder. I think we should look at Gold Coast's list and have a read hot crack at a fringe top draft pick who just isn'tgettingopportunities.

Also, we should practice the shit out of our set shots all preseason. Looking forward to getting Joe in. But I am getting shivers about having McStay, Hipwood and Daniher as our main forwards. We must improve in that area, otherwise I can see a few 4.17 games happening if I am really honest.

Delist
Allison
Eagles
Skinner
Lyons C
Christensen

Retire
Birchall
Martin
Robbo

Trade Out
Archie
Witherden
Mathieson (or delist)

Trade in
Daniher
C-Collins

Draft best available
Key back
Key forward
Ruckman
2 Academy picks

I think we are well covered for back and forward flankers. Mcstay to go back. Fullerton to be Stef replacement. Witherden has trade value and maybe Matho to the Dons. Unfortunately Archie just lacks the game sense to persevere but may have some trade value.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we need someone quicker off the backline with run and carry to replace Birchall/Witho.
Was hoping Ah Chee although he has been playing as a run with role. Not super quick.
I still think we too slow in the back 6 most teams get run out of there back 6.We try to kick out of defence
If a team cuts off your options from those with great kicks not speed. We just end up kicking long down the line that most players can do.
Our mids not super quick as well. Need someone to break the lines
Think a Hill type player.

Delist

Christensen, Martin, Allison, Cox, Skinner, Wooller, C Lyons, Eagles.

Re-sign up Lester and Hinge.

Trade (OUT)

Matho, Smith and Witho if they want to go like Walker/Keays last year fringe for us is best 22 elsewhere.. If they want to stay and we see a need keep them. Although we have like 7 kids the last 2 drafts who played hardly any games. Do you try them or players we look at as depth.
Very hard no NEAFL to watch. What happens with Dev,Joyce, Prior, E Smith, B Smith etc

Trade (IN)

Daniher
Cockatoo
Bigger Mid
Someone speed off HB
Ruck.

Move around
Linc more mid mins
Rayner more mid mins
Starc to wing.. not sure what you do with M Robbo. Seems to dropped off not sure carrying something.
Zorko more forward mins.

Last edited:
I think we need someone quicker off the backline with run and carry to replace Birchall/Witho.
Was hoping Ah Chee although he has been playing as a run with role. Not super quick.
I still think we too slow in the back 6 most teams get run out of there back 6.We try to kick out of defence
If a team cuts off your options those guys everyone talks about there great kicks
Just end up kicking long down the line.
Our mids not super quick as well. Need someone to break the lines
Think a Hill type player.
Agree, very hard players to find however.

Agree, very hard players to find however.
I know :) I think we too slow.
Berry be our fastest mid and got run down I think 3 times Sat night.
Starc be up there speed off HB although plays a defensive role.
Cameron and Linc up forward. Hipwood as well
Why I like to play Linc more mid minutes.

Depends what we do with Daniher.. I know everyone keeps saying McStay out
Although McStay could always take the Ruck/Forward role from Martin/Big O
Daniher pinch hits now and then.
We play all three.
Would not mind going Joe and Sideshow Bob as well. Although mean moving on McStay I feel.

If we cannot get Daniher go after Ben Brown

Also, we should practice the sh*t out of our set shots all preseason. Looking forward to getting Joe in. But I am getting shivers about having McStay, Hipwood and Daniher as our main forwards. We must improve in that area, otherwise I can see a few 4.17 games happening if I am really honest.

Ironically it wasn’t our goal kicking that ended our season abruptly in the end, it was our midfield that has been our strength all year.

Find another Lachie Neale and a Tom Hawkins clone .

McStay and Rayner to slim down ready for positional changes.
Young mids such as McCluggage, Bailey, Berry, Dev to add a few kgs.
I think our flankers are probably the skinniest and less inclined to go in hard/be good at contested ball than a lot of other teams. Add kg's to them too and do a lot of contested work.

We rely way too much on the usual 5 or 6 players, and on the flip side our bottom 5 or 6 are the same non showers. Need to add depth and give the likes of McStay, Rayner, Ah Chee, Hipwood etc. some damn competition. They are better than what they put out each week. FFS Rayner should be getting more than a handful of touches a game. So bring in some guns.

THat is all I can think of for now.

McStay and Rayner to slim down ready for positional changes.
Young mids such as McCluggage, Bailey, Berry, Dev to add a few kgs.
I think our flankers are probably the skinniest and less inclined to go in hard/be good at contested ball than a lot of other teams. Add kg's to them too and do a lot of contested work.

We rely way too much on the usual 5 or 6 players, and on the flip side our bottom 5 or 6 are the same non showers. Need to add depth and give the likes of McStay, Rayner, Ah Chee, Hipwood etc. some damn competition. They are better than what they put out each week. FFS Rayner should be getting more than a handful of touches a game. So bring in some guns.

THat is all I can think of for now.
We definitely need more from Rayner. He's been given every opportunity to mature and develop. I'd like to see him make himself a top 30 player in the AFL. Needs to find some way of improving his tank.

McStay I've given up all hope on but I realise others see it differently. I see he's still got 2 years on his contract and I suggest we get a motivational coach with some tough love. Nothing else has worked.

Ah Chee will become a gun if we get the right confidence building guru in his ear. All he needs is self belief.

Hipwood will thrive if he's not the numero uno forward. He's done the hard yards ,had plenty of experience, now let yourself off the leash.

Delist
Allison
Eagles
Skinner
Lyons C
Christensen

Retire
Birchall
Martin
Robbo

Trade Out
Archie
Witherden
Mathieson (or delist)

Trade in
Daniher
C-Collins

Draft best available
Key back
Key forward
Ruckman
2 Academy picks

I think we are well covered for back and forward flankers. Mcstay to go back. Fullerton to be Stef replacement. Witherden has trade value and maybe Matho to the Dons. Unfortunately Archie just lacks the game sense to persevere but may have some trade value.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app
We already seem to have enough KPD with Andrews, Gardiner, Payne and Adams, and Lester performing a role on taller opponents, so McStay is in a battle, and maybe performs the 3rd forward linking role. Birchall and Robbo probably should retire but have contracts, so that might cost the club, depending on contract clauses. Just hope we don't lose Witho or Answerth because Birchall goes around again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back