What do you want out of season 24?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm calling it. This team is not winning the flag in 2024.

So, pondering where we go from here.

We are losing because we can't kick goals, especially our forwards.

What I want is a team focus on correcting that. I want to see our players get back to being hell accurate and hell confident. Joe and hippy were awesome last year, this year they suck.

Come back in 2025 after our well earn't 😂 long off season with our confidence in the basics rebuilt.

Don’t think there’s anything we can do personnel wise. no depth. Just need to finish the season in form to have some confidence to take into the preseason

And sign Hugh and Bez

Get some games into the likes of Smith, Morris, Reville & Brain, sign Hugh & Bez and reload in a big way at the draft. We've got the talent there via the academy, so just need to make calls on who we really want to be along for the mini reset.

Once we have both Ashcroft's in this team, we will rebound fairly quickly IMO.

I might get shot down for saying this and maybe it’s just me throwing the baby out with the bathwater with regards to my thoughts on this team right now, but letting Hugh go on a massive contract has intrigued me.

He is a great, ok maybe not great, but above average player with great skills, and that’s something this team definitely needs, but you only have to watch the Giants tonight to see it’s a fast man’s game now. If we somehow could turn his salary into a couple of speedy players it may not end up being the end of the world that we all thought it may be.

I feel sick just typing that.

I might get shot down for saying this and maybe it’s just me throwing the baby out with the bathwater with regards to my thoughts on this team right now, but letting Hugh go on a massive contract has intrigued me.

He is a great, ok maybe not great, but above average player with great skills, and that’s something this team definitely needs, but you only have to watch the Giants tonight to see it’s a fast man’s game now. If we somehow could turn his salary into a couple of speedy players it may not end up being the end of the world that we all thought it may be.

no real point letting mccluggage go with ashcroft to come in

the pick would be useless to us

We’ve been carried by a handful for years. Give more exposure to key roles to others to give them experience. Sink or swim. Should just try out a few things like that for the rest of the season.

Sick of the team being filled with talent but output is at a level of role players. Utilise what we have more and identify weakness and address it. At least try ffs.

I can see where you're coming from but would prefer to keep McCluggage and get a couple of speedy players around him, how we are going to do that is a mystery though, always need players who are elite by foot.

Levi Ashcroft and Sam Marshall from my viewing are not renowned speed merchants either, not really much speed in the reserves as well, maybe Reville.

I still hold out hope that we’re all stuck in a collective hallucination and it’s actually still quarter time at the Carlton game.

We’ll all wake up soon.

We’ve been carried by a handful for years. Give more exposure to key roles to others to give them experience. Sink or swim. Should just try out a few things like that for the rest of the season.

Sick of the team being filled with talent but output is at a level of role players. Utilise what we have more and identify weakness and address it. At least try ffs.

So a handful has carried us to a GF but we’re a team full of talent?

Maybe those role players just aren’t that good

no real point letting mccluggage go with ashcroft to come in

the pick would be useless to us
Depends which team he went to. We could match and force a trade.

We are also a live chance to finish outside the top 8 now, which means if we didn’t match and the pick we get may be higher than we originally thought.

Having 2 higher picks may allow us to move up before the Levi bid, or alternatively trade it for another mature player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still hold out hope that we’re all stuck in a collective hallucination and it’s actually still quarter time at the Carlton game.

We’ll all wake up soon.
I wish we could go back to GF day and set up slightly better at that next centre clearance after Charlie’s goal. Been all downhill since then unfortunately.

Just throwing it out there...given we'd get pretty good compensation...would it be worth considering letting Cluggs and Berry go?

LAshcroft and WAshcroft would be decent replacements and could set us up for a mini re-build.

I get that, but can we really afford to lose one of our best (if not, the only) good ball user out of our midfield? Given how poor we already are going inside 50

I get that, but can we really afford to lose one of our best (if not, the only) good ball user out of our midfield? Given how poor we already are going inside 50
I guess that’s why the powers that be get paid the big bucks mate. We are poor offensively with our skills, but we are also a very slow team, and whilst Hugh is obviously a very fit guy, fast he is not, and defensively we have been found out as a team over a number of years.

I would prefer to keep him, because I doubt whoever we bought in would be better, but depending on what happens, like I said it may not be the end of the world.

Depends which team he went to. We could match and force a trade.

We are also a live chance to finish outside the top 8 now, which means if we didn’t match and the pick we get may be higher than we originally thought.

Having 2 higher picks may allow us to move up before the Levi bid, or alternatively trade it for another mature player.

Trading up might even get us a player like Hugh McCluggage!

I hope he stays. Hugh is our only player who can kick a perfectly weighted ball inside 50. Everyone else just kicks it in hope. He's worth more to us than any other team.

I'm just struggling with our forwards and willing to trade. But yes Hugh is very important WHEN we can score.

They are still as capable as last year, really just want that back.

Fages to realise 3 talls doesn't work? I thought that might have clicked in the 2nd half of 2023, but here we are again with a player that is even worse than a washed Gunston playing that role.

Is that you Dom? Or is it Mike?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back