What do you want out of season 24?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve not got much time left, I must think positively about my circumstances

I will miss you Larry.

Season 11 Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

How many teams have lost the grand final and not had a down year the following season?
Every team to have lost a Grand Final by 40 points or more since 1995 has either failed to make the finals the following year or failed to win a final even if they made it. Sydney reached the top 4 in 2015 but went out in straight sets.

Of the rest:

Geelong made a Preliminary Final in 2021
Collingwood made a Preliminary Final in 2019
Sydney made a Semi Final in 2017
Fremantle went out in straight sets in 2014
Hawthorn won the flag in 2013
Collingwood made a Preliminary Final in 2012
St Kilda made 2 Grand Finals in 2010
Geelong won the flag in 2009
Sydney made an Elimination Final in 2007
West Coast won the flag in 2006
Collingwood made the Grand Final in 2003
Essendon made a Semi Final in 2002
Carlton made a Preliminary Final in 2000
North Melbourne won the flag in 1999
St Kilda went out in straight sets in 1998
Sydney made the finals in 1997

I think that's enough. Right now we're a pretty clear outrider... A mentally fragile one at that.

Please please please no more injuries.

And with the kids off the leash we will get energy galore, some absolute shocking (funny/heart breaking) stuff ups mixed in with moments of future glory.

Spectating is easier - not premiership points watching, so can enjoy the games as they unfold. A bit circa 2019.

This team below (available in September) can still win the flag IMO:

Lester Andrews Starcevich
Wilmot Payne Zorko
Berry Dunkley McCluggage
Bailey Hipwood Rayner
Charlie Daniher Lohmann
Oscar Neale Ashcroft

Fletcher McKenna Ah Chee Dev

Tunstill

The losses of Dizzy, Linc, Doedee and Kiddy have been a true punch to the guts, but I absolutely agree with you. We are still a very capable side and our losses this season (save for the GWS 2nd half blowout, which is explainable given the 5-day turnaround after a wet slog-fest) haven't been that bad against pretty decent opposition.

The lapses, 3qt fadeouts, inaccuracy in front of goal and the ability for other teams to get a run on have definitely been a lowlight and cause for concern - however these things can be addressed.

The performance against Melbourne at the G and the re-emergence of Zorko as a creative and damaging half back have been some highlights, as well as the opportunity for some of the younger talent on our list to get an opportunity. The win on the weekend should have been 100 points had we kicked straight and would have been even more extraordinary given the circumstances. A gutsy performance when our season was definitely on the line.

I recall Brendan Bolton (during his time as Hawthorn's caretaker) discussing their mindset of when 1 soldier goes down, another steps up to fill the role. This approach has Fagan written all over it and he will be backing the inclusions to get the job done. As big a loss each player has been, we have been able to:
  • Fill Kiddy's role with someone as equally (if not more) damaging in Zorko
  • Doedee and Dizzy were largely absent from the side in 2023
  • Will be likely to cover Linc's high-half forward role (medium sized forward with good decision making and contested marking ability) with Ah-Chee (who has been on the fringe and a real swing-man in recent years)
We also have the inclusions of Bailey, Ashcroft and Dev to look forward to which will improve our side with class and experience. Assuming a better run of injuries until September, the current injury 'crisis' will at least give our depth some decent exposure and preparation if they need to be called upon again. I am really excited to get a look at some of the emerging talent on our list and I believe we have enough experience across all lines to 'carry' these younger players i.e. we have not hit the point of critical mass (just yet).

Premierships aren't won in April/May. Although our season is in a precarious position, if we could manage to make finals or even a first week home final, we're in with a genuine chance for a flag.

There's still plenty of (lion) left in this fight.

The losses of Dizzy, Linc, Doedee and Kiddy have been a true punch to the guts, but I absolutely agree with you. We are still a very capable side and our losses this season (save for the GWS 2nd half blowout, which is explainable given the 5-day turnaround after a wet slog-fest) haven't been that bad against pretty decent opposition.

The lapses, 3qt fadeouts, inaccuracy in front of goal and the ability for other teams to get a run on have definitely been a lowlight and cause for concern - however these things can be addressed.

The performance against Melbourne at the G and the re-emergence of Zorko as a creative and damaging half back have been some highlights, as well as the opportunity for some of the younger talent on our list to get an opportunity. The win on the weekend should have been 100 points had we kicked straight and would have been even more extraordinary given the circumstances. A gutsy performance when our season was definitely on the line.

I recall Brendan Bolton (during his time as Hawthorn's caretaker) discussing their mindset of when 1 soldier goes down, another steps up to fill the role. This approach has Fagan written all over it and he will be backing the inclusions to get the job done. As big a loss each player has been, we have been able to:
  • Fill Kiddy's role with someone as equally (if not more) damaging in Zorko
  • Doedee and Dizzy were largely absent from the side in 2023
  • Will be likely to cover Linc's high-half forward role (medium sized forward with good decision making and contested marking ability) with Ah-Chee (who has been on the fringe and a real swing-man in recent years)
We also have the inclusions of Bailey, Ashcroft and Dev to look forward to which will improve our side with class and experience. Assuming a better run of injuries until September, the current injury 'crisis' will at least give our depth some decent exposure and preparation if they need to be called upon again. I am really excited to get a look at some of the emerging talent on our list and I believe we have enough experience across all lines to 'carry' these younger players i.e. we have not hit the point of critical mass (just yet).

Premierships aren't won in April/May. Although our season is in a precarious position, if we could manage to make finals or even a first week home final, we're in with a genuine chance for a flag.

There's still plenty of (lion) left in this fight.
Good post; agree with all of it; shame in a lot of ways which is obviously stating the bleeding obvious is if only we’d won a couple of those we should have such as Carlton game and I think Cats game I think we’d come close to finals. It’s not insurmountable if we still win this week and the following few before the bye that we’ll get reinforcements such as Zac, Cal, Starc and Dev and perhaps Will later again that we could make finals and I bet our opponents would be very nervous getting a wounded Lions come finals even on their home deck. Our best is still to exceptional if we can rediscover it.

Good post; agree with all of it; shame in a lot of ways which is obviously stating the bleeding obvious is if only we’d won a couple of those we should have such as Carlton game and I think Cats game I think we’d come close to finals. It’s not insurmountable if we still win this week and the following few before the bye that we’ll get reinforcements such as Zac, Cal, Starc and Dev and perhaps Will later again that we could make finals and I bet our opponents would be very nervous getting a wounded Lions come finals even on their home deck. Our best is still to exceptional if we can rediscover it.

This season has a bit of the 2003 "doing it the hard way" feel to it. Alternatively, it may well be a 'close but not quite' year which is okay - the key pillars of our side are still quite young and it could be a bit of one step back, two steps forward kind of year.

I was very happy with the decision making and foot skills from Bruce. I hope he can build his tank because we need quality ball users like that.

A real test against Adelaide this week though. We can't afford to waste our opportunities. I'm hoping there is a bit of post-showdown/Sloane retirement hangover which might help our cause. I honestly thought the Crows would be thereabouts this year. They gave us a lot of trouble when we played them last season.

Already looking at draft prospects for this year's draft. All I hope is that we manage to squeeze in a pick in the top 4-5, have a bit of luck on our side and manage to draft what proves to be an absolute gun player, and still get Levi Ashcroft prior to any other clubs bidding on him.

We finish draft night with two absolute top 5 guns (with Levi taking to the AFL like a duck to water just like his brother) - wowzers. Could be the catalyst to have a roaring 2025 season and beyond.

Already looking at draft prospects for this year's draft. All I hope is that we manage to squeeze in a pick in the top 4-5, have a bit of luck on our side and manage to draft what proves to be an absolute gun player, and still get Levi Ashcroft prior to any other clubs bidding on him.

We finish draft night with two absolute top 5 guns (with Levi taking to the AFL like a duck to water just like his brother) - wowzers. Could be the catalyst to have a roaring 2025 season and beyond.
Unless we finish in the bottom 4/5 I can't see a way where we could manoeuvre our way to a selection before the bid on Levi Ashcroft unfortunately.

Not asking for much then.....

Unless we finish in the bottom 4/5 I can't see a way where we could manoeuvre our way to a selection before the bid on Levi Ashcroft unfortunately.

And if the tea leaves are saying so, great capital then to trade down a high draft pick for later picks/future picks/players etc IOT amass the points to still nab Levi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back