Autopsy West Coast vs Sydney - Sunday 23rd

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a composure coach! I'm over this panicked long bomb strategy.

I preferred it when they bombed it. The mids aren't capable of the quick handballs and kept getting picked off continually by Sydney.

In games such as these, Kennedy really needs to be moved to centre half back to have an influence. He needs to be used more like Roughead and swing when the midfield are getting soundly beaten.

Duggan was very poor today. He stuck out to me. McGovern best for WCE. Lecras or Hill to be dropped for Lamb. I don't think the team can handle Hill and Lecras in the same team. They both go missing in similar games.

The most frustrating was the lack of change. It was clear that WCE were going to lose the game early in the final quarter and it didn't seem like much changed throughout the quarter.

Probably him, Wellingham and Duggan are the only players that can be truly proud of the efforts today.

Be nice if we could have a whole team effort for once.

You're having a laugh for sure. Just because he's a young player, doesn't mean he is immune to criticism. He had some very poor turnovers that cost WCE goals and really had no influence. He was free a fair few times as he couldn't run with his opponents.

Thought priddis was decent and beat tippo around the ground

He wins possessions and does a hack forward kick straight to a Swans player which gets rebounded for a goal. Happened twice IIRC.

A lack of composure and poor i50 kicking pretty much was the hallmark of our game today.

I thought Wellingham, Naitanui, Kennedy, Hurn, McGovern were all ok today. The rest failed to back them up.

Our usual prime movers in the midfield had plenty of the ball but just did nothing with it and didn't show any intensity. Are we missing Sheed more than we realise?

Lecras and Darling had zero impact. When this happens our forward line looks very thin. I'm thinking we should use Yeo as a more permanent forward and possibly dropping Lecras. Its possible he is at the end of his career.

McInnes was fairly poor but to be fair he wasn't much worse than Sinclair. We should be stronger with Lycett back.

As for Duggan while he didnt get the ball much his work rate was pretty good always throwing himself in. Looking at the stats it backed up my thoughts from the game with him ending up with a team high tackle count of 8.

Why is McInnes in the team? This guy is utterly useless. He is slow, can't take a grab and is just poor in the ruck. He offers nothing. He can kicks goals when WCE are dominating games but most players can. I would prefer Nelson or Lamb to be playing over him.

I hope he isn't on the list for that much longer. He is such a clogger.

He wins possessions and does a hack forward kick straight to a Swans player which gets rebounded for a goal. Happened twice IIRC.

A lack of composure and poor i50 kicking pretty much was the hallmark of our game today.
Priddis is not gifted with great disposal , however he is very good at getting his hands on the ball first, when the eagles havnt got a lot of outside winners (like today) it makes it hard for priddis to be effective. He held up his end of the bargain imo today

You're having a laugh for sure. Just because he's a young player, doesn't mean he is immune to criticism. He had some very poor turnovers that cost WCE goals and really had no influence. He was free a fair few times as he couldn't run with his opponents.

I think you are the one having a laugh. Team high tackle count and had several plays where he pushed forward, outnumbered trying to win the ball only for his teammates to stuff it up.

There were a few senior players who played a lot worse then him.

Priddis is not gifted with great disposal , however he is very good at getting his hands on the ball first, when the eagles havnt got a lot of outside winners (like today) it makes it hard for priddis to be effective. He held up his end of the bargain imo today

Not much point in winning a clearance if you deliver it straight to an opposition player in a dangerous position. Better off just trying for another stoppage.

Again halfway through the 3rd it was just pure panic stations, he as a senior player should be one of the leaders to get everyone to calm down and think it through. Instead he was one of the worst offenders.

needed a shorter forward line today in the wet weather. McInnes might as well have not been playing.

Wet weather games id rather McGinnity over LeCras. Start Mcginnity at high half forward to burst into the middle and opening up our forward line.

Players shouldnt be picked on reputation anymore. Too many experienced players getting lead to the ball.

Do we have a plan b? Would love the media to ask Simmo in a press conference if we do.

Jetta, McGovern and Wellingham stood out today with clean ball handling.

Duggan finished the game strongly.
Was a dead set certainty for a back to the WAFL nomination early on though.

Gov & Wellingham were our standouts.
Not the first time Wellingham has come into the side and shown everyone up.

Does the club have enough balls to drop Lecras? Back to the ski field next week v Collingwood so if he plays he can bandaid over the glaringly obvious fact that he offers very, very little at the moment.

Nope, he has been rubbish this year. Makes fundamental errors cost us today and in previous games.

Hurn is a valuable player even when in poor form down back because of his set play kick out work. We very rarely have trouble getting it out of defense like some other teams. This is purely because pressure can't build when you have Hurn's kicking as a release valve. He has been the best kick in the comp for a long time now. He played well today i thought. Hurn is not the problem we currently have.

Just a bit of perspective on things. We are playing like shit but we are 3-2 the same as Adelaide who have been playing pretty well. Both teams have played the Hawks and north/swans all top 4 sides currently. So looking at this you could say we have more scope for improvement.

And finally after 8 rounds last year the Hawks where 4/4 so it isn't the end of the world. Win next week and then get third time lucky against the cats and its 5/2 and looking alright!

Not much point in winning a clearance if you deliver it straight to an opposition player in a dangerous position. Better off just trying for another stoppage.

Again halfway through the 3rd it was just pure panic stations, he as a senior player should be one of the leaders to get everyone to calm down and think it through. Instead he was one of the worst offenders.
What we need is a captain. It could work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we are. He's a much more natural inside mid than someone like Yeo, who impresses with his flashiness but doesn't seem to be able to find consistency playing in the middle. Will take him a while to get back to his best once he's back though.

I reckon we have missed him a little in every game. He is a natural at getting the pill inside and making smart decisions by hand. He frees up our runners well and plays that Priddis extractor role, with the bonus of being good by foot when he is in space as well. He slows the game down at stoppages with ball in hand and makes the right decisions.

Gaff is an excellent player and has had a really good year but **** me, how many goals did we concede because he pissed himself at a contest on the wing or refused to tackle someone and instead just lazily corralled them

Just a bit of perspective on things. We are playing like shit but we are 3-2 the same as Adelaide who have been playing pretty well. Both teams have played the Hawks and north/swans all top 4 sides currently. So looking at this you could say we have more scope for improvement.

And finally after 8 rounds last year the Hawks where 4/4 so it isn't the end of the world. Win next week and then get third time lucky against the cats and its 5/2 and looking alright!

That's a fair point but it's the way in which we lost both games which really stings - it's all or nothing for us. Beat up on the average sides or shit ourselves against the best. The Crows would be feeling much better about their two losses.

Just saw part of the press conference. Simpson looked pissed. Said the forwards were beaten and a lot of the guys couldn't win one on one contests. At least he recognises the issues.

This is telling

Priddis gathered 28 disposals, 16 of those contested, and won seven clearances for West Coast, but apart from Luke Shuey (13 contested possessions) who also had a crack, the Eagles midfield wasn't up to it when the heat was on and the contested footy was up for grabs. Priddis and Shuey were the only Eagles to reach double figures, while the Swans' stars Josh Kennedy, Kieren Jack, Luke Parker, Dan Hannebery and Tom Mitchell all had 12 or more contested possessions.

2 WCE players going for the hard ball, ALL OF Sydney's stars in double figures.

Glaring weakness.

Last edited:
This is telling

2 WCE players going for the hard ball, ALL OF Sydney's stars in double figures.

Galring weakness.

It is a little misleading in that NN is considered part of our midfield and he had double figures too. We had 2 on 9 and 5 on 8.

We had plenty of i50s but they were of poor quality.

Hutchings would be nice next week though.

Duggan finished strongly but boy oh boy does the kid need to learn how to kick a footy :(

Soon as the rain came I was resigned to losing. Didn't even get angry :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back