2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne ended their affiliation with Werribee in 2018 and created their own standalone VFL side.

In their worst season since then (2022) they went 4-14. Last year they went 10-8 and made the finals, despite the AFL side being very nearly as bad as us.

If they can make a standalone side work, surely we can.
You realise they have a top 10 in a competition of 21 teams. North Melbourne finished tenth and lost their final.
It is a low bar.

I'm interested in what funding the WAFL gets from WAFC.

The WAFC runs and supports:

The WAFL competition

The WAFL Colts competition and supporting talent pathway

State talent academies for males and females

The umpiring talent pathway

School competitions and the AFL School Ambassador program

Multicultural engagement programs

Indigenous engagement programs including the Nicky Winmar and Kirby Bentley carnivals

Auskick, junior and youth football

All community competitions through our affiliated leagues

Tribunals, governance and integrity programs

Community facility funding

Coaching, umpiring and volunteer accreditation and development

You realise they have a top 10 in a competition of 21 teams. North Melbourne finished tenth and lost their final.
It is a low bar.

Ten teams making finals from a 21 team competition is (marginally) harder than five teams making finals from a 10 team competition

The bar is about the same

It is a low bar.

So that’s roughly the equivalent of finishing fifth in the WAFL and losing a final?

We’d settle for that, wouldn’t we? We don’t have to be making grand finals to consider the reserves side a success. They just have to be competitive.

I wouldn't really look at N0rf as an example of doing anything correctly to be honest.

Bigger basket case than we are and they had a huge headstart on their rebuild, as well as a collection of charity from the AFL.

That’s exactly why I used them as the example. If even that basket case can create a standalone reserves side and make it competitive, surely anyone can.

That’s exactly why I used them as the example. If even that basket case can create a standalone reserves side and make it competitive, surely anyone can.
Sure as hell want a competitive ressies regardless of what format, but I’m not sure about the travel in a national comp. It knocks mature bodies around so I’m not sure how it’d affect young players.

But I’ll leave the ‘what/how’ to you guys who are more knowledgeable.

$600k from the Eagles
$400k from Freo

So a shortfall of 1 million a year in the WAFL coffers if both clubs move to an AFL reserves comp
Freo have not public shown any grievances and seem happy with the peel alignment.

Only the Eagles indicate any interest but even then, they said they will go away and have a think about it. I think the decision is to be made by June?

Just the 7 AFL listed players currently named for this weeks WAFL game against West Perth and all 1st or 2nd year players except Culley who’s technically in his 3rd year

Reid at FF
Rawlinson at HF
Culley in the guts with Hall
Burgiel on the wing
Baker at CHB (that’s not a typo)
Livingstone in the ruck

Probably 2 of the emergencies to come back into the side once they missed their flight

Oh and West Perth will be looking to bounce back after being beaten by 113 points last week against Peel

Looks like another rough day ahead for the Beagles

Surely the longer distance travel between Perth and the other states will be a consideration on whether joining an AFL reserves league is a good idea.
Even the distance between Adelaide and Gold Coast is half as far as Perth and Gold Coast.
Getting top ups that are willing to be travel around the country mainly for the benefit of supporting our depth players might be a tough task unless the salary is significant enough for them.

Last edited:
Just the 7 AFL listed players currently named for this weeks WAFL game against West Perth and all 1st or 2nd year players except Culley who’s technically in his 3rd year

Reid at FF
Rawlinson at HF
Culley in the guts with Hall
Burgiel on the wing
Baker at CHB (that’s not a typo)
Livingstone in the ruck

Probably 2 of the emergencies to come back into the side once they missed their flight

Oh and West Perth will be looking to bounce back after being beaten by 113 points last week against Peel

Looks like another rough day ahead for the Beagles

West Perth are decimated with injuries, they just haven’t complained about it.

West Perth are decimated with injuries, they just haven’t complained about it.

IMG_5461.jpeg

That’s from the WAFL website which I presume is current

A total of 8 players which is less than South Fremantle (13), East Perth and Peel (11), Perth (10) and Claremont (9)

Whilst it’s not exactly translatable West Coast have 9 on their injury list plus Brockman who’s unavailability is self inflicted

Unfortunately I’m not sufficiently well versed in the WAFL to know what those raw numbers represent in terms of quality over quantity but on face value I wouldn’t consider West Perth to be decimated in comparison to the rest of the league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My sons best mate Reagan Hutcheson debuting on Saturday
Hope he goes well 🤞
Big chance to prove himself

Bloody shame for us he got picked , could have used him down here on Saturday
He was BOG last week

Quite a few potential debutants named this week, although I don’t know how many of them will end up playing since there’s probably six of the named squad that will miss out when the AFL emergencies come back.

Revis Alone named in a pocket so he’s presumably also locked in to debut. Mitchell Anderson, Ben Avery, Rory Charles and Allan Narkle also on the extended bench with Hutchinson.

Quite a few potential debutants named this week, although I don’t know how many of them will end up playing since there’s probably six of the named squad that will miss out when the AFL emergencies come back.

Revis Alone named in a pocket so he’s presumably also locked in to debut. Mitchell Anderson, Ben Avery, Rory Charles and Allan Narkle also on the extended bench with Hutchinson.
Revis plays with us as well , fast , slippery and good with the ball

Reags just moves so well and nails down that half back line

Interesting to see how far those boys go

View attachment 1984295

That’s from the WAFL website which I presume is current

A total of 8 players which is less than South Fremantle (13), East Perth and Peel (11), Perth (10) and Claremont (9)

Whilst it’s not exactly translatable West Coast have 9 on their injury list plus Brockman who’s unavailability is self inflicted

Unfortunately I’m not sufficiently well versed in the WAFL to know what those raw numbers represent in terms of quality over quantity but on face value I wouldn’t consider West Perth to be decimated in comparison to the rest of the league

It was 14 last week so must have quite a few back. Just two weeks ago they needed 6 players from the amateurs to play reserves for them.
Anyway hope we smash the Beagles.

Revis Alone sounds a lot like leave us alone
“Revis Arone”

ronery GIF

My sons best mate Reagan Hutcheson debuting on Saturday
Hope he goes well 🤞
Big chance to prove himself

Bloody shame for us he got picked , could have used him down here on Saturday
He was BOG last week

Goaled with his first touch?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back