State Focus WA 2024 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be allowed to play nationals if they think he deserves a game. I believe Webb has been scouting 19 yr olds to play
These two squads for tomorrow's match should be announced any minute now (I hope) and with that so many questions will be answered. I've asked them to publish them on the WAFL 's latest FB post where they name the WA 18's leaders Bo Allan (C), Austin Van DerStruyf (VC), Jaxon Douglas (VC), Luke Urquhart (VC) (I assume) ...... but maybe they need a bit more encouragement from other FB visitors.

Thankyou rookiemecentral...you guys rock

18's Unavailable - Oscar Willis** (CL), Austin Van Der Struyf (CL), Loch MacTaggart (P), Fred Rodriguez** (SF), Hugh Boxshall (CL)

18's included in U/21 list - Koby Evans** (P), Aiden Riddle+ (CL), Tom.Bell (SF), Chayse Martinson (SD)

Additions to WA 18's squad - Tom.Bell (SF), Andre Gulluni (EP), Jayden Rigoll (WP), Chayse Martinson (SD)

Note: I think they have Charlie Banfield** (CL) and Charlie Burke (S) height, weight, age mixed up.
1715929506798.png

Last edited:

18's Unavailable - Oscar Willis** (CL), Austin Van Der Struyf (CL), Loch MacTaggart (P), Fred Rodriguez** (SF), Hugh Boxshall (CL)

18's included in U/21 list - Koby Evans** (P), Aiden Riddle+ (CL), Tom.Bell (SF), Chayse Martinson (SD)

Additions to WA 18's squad - Tom.Bell (SF), Andre Gulluni (EP), Jayden Rigoll (WP), Chayse Martinson (SD)

Note: I think they have Charlie Banfield** (CL) and Charlie Burke (S) height, weight, age mixed up.
View attachment 1991466
Colby McDonald is a heavy set lad

Thanks for the lists....interesting to see on the East Freo colts list Urquhart is 190 cm....but on the lists provided by rookiemecentral, Urquhart is 183cm....pretty sure the EF listing is correct.

Good to see EF Jack Cocking is in that WA U/21 list, as are Cleaver and Sanchez....surprised Zadow missed out though.

Thanks for the lists....interesting to see on the East Freo colts list Urquhart is 190 cm....but on the lists provided by rookiemecentral, Urquhart is 183cm....pretty sure the EF listing is correct.

Good to see EF Jack Cocking is in that WA U/21 list, as are Cleaver and Sanchez....surprised Zadow missed out though.
I reckon Jasper Scaife (WP) might be a last minute inclusion for the 21's after getting cut from the WA senior squad. If I was Darcy Petersen (PT), Cody Curtin (CL) or Clancy Dennis (CL) I'd be a little nervous.

Yes Urquhart is way taller than 183cm. Lot's of weird height listings.....some players have srunk it would appear.

I reckon Jasper Scaife (WP) might be a last minute inclusion for the 21's after getting cut from the WA senior squad. If I was Darcy Petersen (PT), Cody Curtin (CL) or Clancy Dennis (CL) I'd be a little nervous.

Yes Urquhart is way taller than 183cm. Lot's of weird height listings.....some players have srunk it would appear.
Yeah surprised Scaife wasn't listed for the U/21 side, hopefully he gets a last minute gig. Thought Roan O'Hehir from SF would be a monty to play, considering he is playing well for SF league side, and Koen Sanchez from EF , isn't setting the world alight for EF reserves team this year so far.

All those guys are u18s, Scaife would need to be in u21s

Seems there needed to be 2-3 from each club aswell atleast, with 4 max

Youd think AFL clubs would be pretty keen to see how Scaife goes even in this contest

All those guys are u18s, Scaife would need to be in u21s

Seems there needed to be 2-3 from each club aswell atleast, with 4 max

Youd think AFL clubs would be pretty keen to see how Scaife goes even in this contest
That's what I'm saying....one of those 3 players have to match up on Scaife....not to mention man mountain strong hands Tregenza.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1991466
Good to see squads with players weights listed!!!

Anybody feel like doing some best players for tomorrow's match? It would be great to get a cross reference of different views. We can combine all of our votes and come up with something really well rounded.

A brand new noobermensch WA player in focus video and this time it's prolific Claremont over age mid Bailey.Banfield.

He may or may not qualify to represent WA at the national 18's championships. It's open to interpretation and an AFL ruling. WA need some geuine high possession ball winners to bring more fashionable draft fancies into the contest and to enable them to be competitive in all games. Importantly, not only is Banfield prolific but his kicking has improved out of sight. He's tough, competitive and hard to bring to ground.....he's almost Vic style in fact.

You can catch all the noobermensch Footy Stuff player in focus videos on his youtube channel.

Another player i have changed my mind on, last year thought he was very quick small mid that couldn't kick
over a jam tin

Over one preseason has improved so much his kicking and attack on the footy
He was a terrible kick last year

Another player i have changed my mind on, last year thought he was very quick small mid that couldn't kick
over a jam tin

Over one preseason has improved so much his kicking and attack on the footy
He was a terrible kick last year
What about your Royals lad Andre Gulluni mate. Called up to the 18's. Very exciting.

A little under 30 minutes 10.30am WA time/12.30pm Vic time until the WA state 18's v WA state 21's

Looking at the State 21 team - they have 14 and possibly 15 players with league experience.

Noah Cachard (P) 6
Scott Tuia (PT) 6
Darcy Craven (EP) 2
Marlin Corbett (S) 21* Includes VFL league games
Kane Bevan (WP) 9
Jaren Carr (SF) 3
Oscar Hine-Baston (P) 5
Corey Tregenza (PT) 7
Jack Cleaver (EF) 28* Includes VFL league games
Jasper Peace (CL) 4
Judd Kelman (S) 3
Bryce Watson (SD) 8
Evan Smith (SD) 2
Elijah Scoble (P) 6
Jasper Scaife (WP) 6

So a big difference in experience and weight.

I reckon any WA 18's player who does well in this match will compete well against any team in the national championships. It could be a little lop-sided actually but that doesn't matter. It's getting some names on the radar and preparing the !8's for challenges ahead.

Fremantle Oval is different to most in the WAFL as it's quite narrow....although it's still quite long but much more like Thebarton.

1715997609418.png

The streamer coverage is free. Just refresh the page if need be close to game time. Wait for the ads to end and the coverage should be good to go. https://streamer.com.au/match/3283

Last edited:
My best WA state 18's on the day.

Cody Curtin** (CL/2025) Was able to hold several strong marks in the backline under immense pressure. Desperate on the ground and willing to spoil tackle and harass older opponents. Raw and quite different to his brother Daniel but gives effort, has athletic capacity and at 197cm will be a key WA player in 2025.

Kayle Gerreyn (WP/2024) Relatively quiet in the first half but come to life in the second, often rucking to his own advantage or assisting one of his mids. He was the major reason why the WA 18's come back and almost stole the game. Mysteriously he didn't spend any time up forward which was odd but his ruck craft is so good that it must be tempting for any coach to leave him in the middle.

Andre Gulluni (EP/2024) Possibly the leading disposal winner for the WA 18's - although he did share the point kick ins with Jaxon Douglas. Poised, balanced, quick and skilfull. The classic modern rebounding AFL quarterback defender. Bit off too much on a couple of long kicks out of defence when trying to launch close to the boundary edge to set up a stoppage. Aside from that very polished.

Bo Allan (PT/2024) Tested his power pace and strength against bigger older opposition and more often was just as effective as he is in colts. He compliments that with good decisions and a lovely left boot. His first half was exceptional. The most eye-catching WA state 18's player on ability and flair alone. Finished the game with a clutch goal.

Trent Hiscock (WP/2024) It wasn't easy for WA state 18's defenders for most of the game. The 21's had midfield supremacy for all but 10 minutes in the first and the entire last quarter. Hiscock did everything he could. Spoiled, marked, hit bodies when required. The kind of player that his team mates would like to be in the trenches with and surely taller than the advertised 187cm....more like 190-192.

Aiden Riddle+ (CL/OA) His bullocking, arms and legs ruck work style unnerved Gerreyn in the first half. A player that a coach can rely on and big enough to spend a bit of time up forward. He did kick a valuable goal (according to my eyes on a poor stream) in the second half and as the scoreboard showed, it may have been the difference. Will contribute for WA against whoever he comes up against. Substance not style.

Koby Evans** (P/2025) Was playing for the 21's, so had more opportunities up forward than his team mates playing for the WA 18's. Surprised me with his speed, evasive moves and mercurial skills. Didn't see so much of him in the second half but now I get it. A middle sized 185-187cm ? forward.

Malakai Champion (S/2024) Has had a sluggish start to 2024 but played his best game to date and like a good Australian cricket team, is timing his run to the main event. Brilliant and elusive, unafraid to put his body on the line. I guess he has dealt with being the smallest player most of his career so that isn't an issue. Booted 2 lovely goals.....some say 3....but I think Anthony Hansen might have kicked one of those.

Honourable mentions - Jaxon Artemis (SF/2024/second half), Cody Angove (CL/2024/second half)

Last edited:
Great comeback by the 18's in the last stanza, though at 3/4 time I was a tad disappointed with what the 18's had shown....lots of turn overs.

Only watched it via the livestream and found the lone commentator off putting at times. For me I thought Curtin up back was solid, Davis did some good things, Angove came to life in the last, Champion flashed in and out with bursts of brilliance. Being biased, I noticed Urquhart did some good contested stuff around the clinches in the 2nd half.

In the 21's, I liked Craven and his left foot, Scoble up back was reliable all day, Bevan got a lot of the footy, Riddle was the best big man on the ground. The commentator kept banging on about Tregenza all game being a draft prospect, to me he looked very one dimensional TBH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back