TV Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

First ever AEW Collision got 816k, just short of AEW Dynamite’s 832k, but way more than AEW Rampage’s 423k.

I think the real test for Collision will be this week. After a general positive start, will be interesting to see if there is an increase or decrease. For a Saturday night debut, that’s not too bad.

generally you judge after the 1st month.
That’s fair enough and generally I don’t really judge ratings. For me personally, I enjoyed the first episode, so am willing to take another look, I enjoyed the commentary, the set up of the ring ect. Enjoyed the old 80’s feel to the show. How ever not everyone enjoys that style. I was a fan of the New generation era, where the WWE were transitioning from Hulk Hogan as champion to a newer generation. Where you started to see Bret Hart, Davey Boy Smith, Shawn Micheals, The Undertaker ect startEd to main event, but it’s the era that quite often gets overlooked because of the attitude era.

Collision is based around Punk, he is a volatile personality, fans either love him or hate him very few would be in between. his public outbursts at the Elite is a testament to that, along with HHH ect. his comments with the sly dig about Counterfeit Bucks was gold. Unfortunately I think it will either vindicate to some people beliefs that he is a so called cancer, and will switch off, or will make people switch in to see what he says next. So that’s why I’m interested to see what the ratings will be this week for Collision. It is the Punk factor. Hopefully common sense prevails, and the Elite vs Punk (FTR?) can work a program together and bring a sense of closure.

Serious question here. Do TV ratings matter anymore? What percentage of wrestling fans watch on TV vs streaming?

Because the numbers are so incredibly low even compared to say TNA's figures when they were a bastketcase. Surely wrestling companies are making money from other revenue streams.

I mean I don't think we're going to see 33 million people tune into watch a wrestling match anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question here. Do TV ratings matter anymore? What percentage of wrestling fans watch on TV vs streaming?

Because the numbers are so incredibly low even compared to say TNA's figures when they were a bastketcase. Surely wrestling companies are making money from other revenue streams.

I mean I don't think we're going to see 33 million people tune into watch a wrestling match anymore.

how much money can you currently make off streaming compared to TV rights? until it gets to the point where everything is streaming (or streaming companies get the rights over traditional media), then rights are still of importance.

how much money can you currently make off streaming compared to TV rights? until it gets to the point where everything is streaming (or streaming companies get the rights over traditional media), then rights are still of importance.
So that begs the question, how the hell are wrestling companies profitable in this day and age? I mean those numbers AEW and to a certain extent, WWE are drawing are not great compared to what they were 10 years ago and certainly no where near what both WWE and WCW were doing during the Monday Night Wars or what WWF were doing during Hogan's first run. Neither of the US promotions can regularly draw at the gate from what I can tell. How do they make money?

Even with Edge and the hype after wrestledream Dynamite draws its lowest rating since May.
Was it up against football or something else?

Even with Edge and the hype after wrestledream Dynamite draws its lowest rating since May.

For some reason a number of cable providers had the show listed at an incorrect time (like 2-3 hours earlier). This week's Collision also currently suffering from the same as is next week's Dynamite.

Still not a great number but this didn't help. Meltzer expects is to have cost maybe 10-15% what it would have been.

For further information on the stuff up.

Is this current version of Edge a big draw? The one in AEW now and WWE just previously.

I seen an interesting take that no one really cared about Grit, love to wrestle Edge. He was always most popular as the douchebag opportunist Edge with the hot girl by his side. That’s the character that people were drawn to.

So that begs the question, how the hell are wrestling companies profitable in this day and age? I mean those numbers AEW and to a certain extent, WWE are drawing are not great compared to what they were 10 years ago and certainly no where near what both WWE and WCW were doing during the Monday Night Wars or what WWF were doing during Hogan's first run. Neither of the US promotions can regularly draw at the gate from what I can tell. How do they make money?

WWE are making money hand over fist.
Record gates in most markets these days.
Merch sales from current and former stars reportedly stronger than ever.
I’d assume sponsorship is incredibly stronger than anytime in the attitude or any other previous era.
Obviously the Saudi deal is an absolute cash cow.

As for TV. Both companies are still regularly number 1 for the night in the US in a whole range of ratings break downs. So TV rights fees are massive. Plus there’s more competition in the market now with streaming services, likely forcing up the price. Not to mention the reach internationally would now be much larger, there’s a whole heap of other TV rights fees just there.

For further information on the stuff up.
How embarrassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back